I have had this story languishing on my hard drive for years and recently decided to finish it. I am posting it here in parts, something I've never done. The story is finished and will be posted in its entirety. I want to thank Morgana for her invaluable help improving it from its original incarnation.

Love Will Find a Way
By Ray Reynolds © 2019
Rating: PG-13, for violence.

Introduction:

As with my previous story, “It Might Have Been”, this story will not be very popular with the majority of readers in our fandom. I’m not writing to win a popularity contest, I’m writing what I feel I need to write. I don’t know how this will turn out, unlike last time, but I hope the readers who give this story a chance will enjoy it.

I do not subscribe to the soulmates theory as espoused on the show. Rather than seeing one person as a soul mate for another as romantic I see it as making for a lot of unhappy people. The chances of finding that one perfect person in the world under this scenario are one in over six BILLION. You have better odds of winning the lottery, twice! My view is there are many people with whom one could be fulfilled and live a very happy life. Could one person fulfill us better than another? Yes, but to limit true happiness in life and in marriage to one perfect person is unrealistic, at least it seems so to me. My story explores that theory.

There is a major WHAM in this story, the death of a major character, though it is told through flashback. I don’t want anyone to read my story without giving adequate warning. Also, please see the link at the end of this story. It is a link that gave me inspiration for my new female character.

Legal Disclaimer:
All trademarks and copyrights are assigned to their respective owners. I make no claim against any of them. Characters outside the normal Lois and Clark universe are created by me and remain my property. Any additional comments or feedback can be directed to rhreynolds262@comcast.net

Chapter 1

Clark Kent plopped into his chair, exhausted. It had been the week from Hell and today had been the topper. It had started with an earthquake in Japan, followed by a typhoon in the Philippines; all topped off by yet another forest fire in California. Between disasters he’d had two stories due, both of which were late, and he’d missed his son’s first grade play. Clark ran a hand through his hair, frustrated and angry.

Clark scanned the newsroom seeing only a few of the night crew and Perry, of course. ‘Sitting here feeling sorry for myself isn’t getting this story written,’ Clark thought. He tapped his keyboard, bringing the machine to life, and began typing.

Twenty minutes later Clark sent his story to Perry after having proofread it for the second time. He stood, heading to his boss’s office. Knocking on the door casing he walked in, closing the door behind him.

“I’m sorry the story was late, Perry, it’s been a long day. I’ll be in early tomorrow to make up for it.”

Perry White leaned back in his chair, studying the man in front of him. He looked as bad as he probably felt, which was pretty bad. His shoulders were slumped, his face was drawn, and it looked like there were bags under his eyes. Considering who this man was Perry was shocked to see how bad he looked.

“Clark, son, don’t worry about it,” Perry said sympathetically. “I know this has been a bad week for you. I’m surprised you’ve been able to turn in as much as you have, given the circumstances.”

“I appreciate the sentiment, Perry, but you pay me to turn in stories and I haven’t exactly been doing that.”

“Clark, we both know that this week has been out of the ordinary. You turn in your share of work and more and you know it!” Perry said emphatically. “Besides, what other paper had the kind of coverage we had of the earthquake, typhoon and fire?”

Clark met Perry’s eyes and emitted a chuckle that contained no humor. “Well considering how much slack you cut me it’s the least I could do.”

“Son, you’re too hard on yourself. You work harder than any two reporters I have. Besides, you have your ‘other job’ that keeps you more than busy, and on top of that you’re a great father—”

“I’m a great father all right,” Clark said sarcastically “I missed Jon’s school play this week. God, I’m surprised he even recognizes me sometimes!”

Perry rose from behind his desk and moved to the side of the chair Clark sat in. He reached down and squeezed Clark’s shoulder, hoping to impart some support to his friend.

Clark turned, looking his boss and friend in the eye. “Thanks, Perry, I needed that. It’s times like these, when I feel so overwhelmed, that I miss her the most.”

Perry squeezed Clark’s shoulder again and paused, to gather himself before he continued. “Me too, Son,” he said tightly “me too.”

Clark hung his head, cradling it in his hands, his fingers fisting his hair. He’d promised himself he wasn’t going to do this anymore. He needed to be strong, for Jon, for his parents, for his friends. And most of the time he was. Most of the time he was able to put aside his grief and be the kind of father his son deserved. Most of the time he was able to be the kind of son who he thought made his parents proud. Most of the time he was the kind of reporter he knew he could be, who she would have wanted him to be. Most of the time.

Today was not one of those times.

Clark was pulled out of his funk by Perry speaking.

“Go home, Clark. Play with your boy, read him a bedtime story. Kiss him goodnight and then go to bed yourself. You’re dead tired. You need to rest, and that’s an order!” Perry said with a grin.

“You’re right, Chief, that’s the best thing I’ve heard all week.” Clark stood, heading towards the door.

“Oh, Clark?”

“Yeah, Chief?”

“I don’t want to see you here before noon, ya hear me?”

Clark smiled, a smile that mostly reached his eyes. “Yeah, Chief, I hear you, and thanks.”

Heading to his desk Clark thought, not for the first time, that he was glad Perry knew about his ‘other job’. It was weeks like this that made him really appreciate having a friend in the newsroom who was in the know. Being gone from the newsroom for extended periods had always been a problem for him. In his early days at the Planet he’d been on probation a few times until he’d gotten better at his excuses. Shaking his head he remembered how many times he’d called in from exotic locales with the excuse that Superman had taken him along to this or that disaster. Perry wasn't stupid, he probably knew back then but hadn’t let on.

Clark shut down his computer and straightened his desk then grabbed his coat from the back of his chair. He pressed the button to call the elevator so he could finally get home to his family.

“Daddy!”

Clark dropped his coat just in time to gather the speeding 6-year-old into his arms. He drew his son to his chest, reveling in the unconditional love of his son. Kissing the boy he hugged him just a bit tighter, reluctant to release him just yet. Clark pulled back and smiled, the first real smile of the day.

“Hey, Buddy! How was your day?” Clark said setting his son down while he hung up his coat.

“Great, Daddy,” Jon said excitedly “we went to City Hall today, did you forget?”

“Yeah, I guess I did. You were going to get a tour and meet the mayor, right?”

“Yeah, it was cool! Our teacher got us into the room where they make laws and everything! The mayor shook my hand!” Jon said proudly.

“That’s very nice, Jon.” Clark wondered if the mayor would have shaken Jon’s hand if he’d known who Jon’s father was. “I’m glad you had such a good time. By the way, where’s grandma and grandpa?”

Just as Jon was about to answer Martha Kent walked out of the kitchen, wiping her hands on a small towel.

“Clark! I thought I heard your voice,” Martha said hugging and kissing her boy. “Your father went to play checkers with Paul next door. I’ve got your supper ready, come on and sit down.”

Clark allowed his mother to guide him to the kitchen where he seated himself at the table while she pulled his plate out of the stove and poured him a large glass of milk. She seated herself across from her son, pulling Jon into her lap.

“I hope you’re not going out again tonight, Clark. You’ve been working way too hard. Jon has hardly seen you this week, you know,” Martha said softly, her concern for her son showing in her voice.

“No, Mom, I’m not going anywhere tonight if I can help it,” Clark said in between bites of his meal. “Perry said the same thing, as a matter of fact. He told me to go to bed early and he didn’t want to see me before noon tomorrow.”

“Perry’s a smart man, you should listen to him,” Martha said laying a hand on Clark’s arm.

“Daddy, will you be putting me to bed tonight?” Jon asked softly.

Clark looked at the hopeful brown eyes that were looking at him. Jon’s eyes were so like Lois’s it was scary sometimes. He exhaled a shuddering breath. “Yes, Son, I am. After I finish supper we’re going to play whatever game you want, then I’m going to give you your bath and read you a bedtime story. How does that sound?”

Jon’s eyes lit up like it was Christmas. While he understood that his daddy had to work odd hours and even though he loved his grandmother and grandfather, having his daddy to himself was the best.

“Can we play Parcheesi?” Jon asked excitedly.

“Sure, if that’s what you want to play,” Clark said smiling.

“An’ will you read me ‘Thomas the Tank Engine’?”

“Again? You must know that one by heart now,” Clark said laughing.

“Yes, again, Daddy. You said any book I want,” Jon said pleadingly.

“Okay, ‘Thomas the Tank Engine’ it is then,” Clark said finishing the last bite of his supper. He rose from the table and put his plate and glass in the sink. “How about you get the Parcheesi game set up while I do these dishes?”

“You leave those dishes to me, Clark,” Martha said sternly though there was a smile on her face. “I’ll have them done in no time, you go play with Jon.”

Clark walked back to the table, leaning down to kiss his mom, drawing his son into his arms. “Thanks, Mom.” Clark straightened and kissed his son’s cheek as they made their way to the living room.

Clark closed the book he had been reading and set it on the night table beside his son’s bed. He pulled the covers up, tucking his son in. Leaning down further he kissed the top of his head and turned out the light, the only light left in the room coming from the nightlight.

Standing there, watching his son sleep for the longest time, Clark enjoyed the sound of his breathing and the beating of his heart. It was the sound of Jon’s heartbeat that calmed him now. It was the sound of his heartbeat that drove him to get out of bed every morning, even when that was the last thing he wanted to do. Not for the first time since that horrible day he thanked God for his son. He hated to even contemplate the kind of person he might have turned into if he’d not had this little man to protect and love. Clark was so lost in thought he didn’t hear his mother behind him.

“He’s beautiful, isn’t he,” Martha said reverently.

“Just like his mother,” Clark said his voice choking.

“Oh, Honey…” Martha said enveloping her son in her loving arms.

Clark hugged his mother, resting his head on her shoulder. Tears were close to falling but he held them back, barely. Mother and son shared their grief for the wife and daughter-in-law they both loved. Moments later, Clark pulled back from his mother.

“Thanks, Mom, I needed a good hug today.”

“We all need a hug sometimes, Honey,” Martha said squeezing her son’s hands “we’re family, we support each other, that’s what we do.”

Clark smiled sadly. He was tired, bone weary to tell the truth, and what he needed most was sleep. “I’m going to bed now, Mom, good night”

“’Night, Honey, I’ll lock up once your father gets home.”

Clark closed the bedroom door behind him, the weight of the week’s activities heavy on his shoulders. He flopped onto the bed, exhausted, struggling to remove his shoes and socks, finally accomplishing the task after the second try. He barely got his shirt off before his eyes closed of their own volition. Awakening with a start sometime later, he realized that he’d fallen asleep sitting up, his shirt still tangled around his waist and wrists. Shaking his head he finished removing his shirt, then his pants, dropping them by the side of the bed. Flopping on his back and, without even turning off the light, sleep claimed him.

Jonathan Kent walked into the brownstone at Hyperion Avenue shortly after 10 PM. Entering the living room he found his wife reading a book.

“Everybody in bed?” he asked.

“Yes. Clark put Jon down about 8 and he went to bed about 8:30.”

“Clark went to bed at 8:30?” Jonathan asked incredulous.

“You should have seen him, Jonathan. He was playing a game with Jon and he nodded off twice! That boy was asleep on his feet most of the night. If he hadn’t told me he was going to bed I was going to drag him there myself!”

“He’s sure burned the candle at both ends this week, hasn’t he?” Jonathan said knowingly. “Maybe he should call in sick tomorrow.”

“Perry told him not to come in before noon, so I think he’ll be okay. I’m going to get Jon off to school as quietly I can so he can sleep. I don’t plan to wake him before 11:00 at the earliest.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Jonathan said around a yawn “How about we hit the hay too?”

“I’m going to check the doors, why don’t you head upstairs, and I’ll be there in a minute.”

Jonathan walked up the stairs but when he reached the top landing he noticed light shining from the bottom of Clark’s door. ‘Hmm, I thought she said he went to bed early?’ Jonathan thought. Walking up to the door he put his ear next to it. Not hearing anything he carefully opened it.

“Son?” he whispered.

Peeking his head into the room he saw Clark sound asleep on top of the covers, snoring softly. Jonathan crept into the room careful not to wake his sleeping son, grabbed the afghan off the rocking chair and draped it over him. Turning out the light and closing the door Jonathan shook his head, worry for his son evident on his face.

Jonathan was just settling in bed when Martha walked into their room.

“I just found Clark sleeping on top of the bed with the light on,” Jonathan said.

“Oh no, is he all right?”

“He’s fine, exhausted but fine. I covered him with the afghan and turned out the light. He should be fine for the rest of the night, barring any emergencies, of course.”

“You didn’t see him tonight, Jonathan. Unless the house fell down around him I doubt anything would wake him up,” Martha said climbing into bed.

Jonathan leaned over, kissed his wife goodnight then shut off the light. Sleep sounded real good right about then.

Clark woke groggily from his slumber, light streaming in the window. He rubbed his eyes trying to get them to focus. Turning his head slightly he looked at the clock on the bedside table. 10:45! He was late for work! He was halfway to the bathroom before he remembered that Perry had told him not to come in before noon. Continuing to the bathroom, Clark showered and shaved at normal speed. Returning to the bedroom he saw his clothes strewn around the bed where he’d dropped them the night before. He picked everything up, dropping it in the hamper, then proceeded to his closet, picking out a white shirt, a gray suit, and a somber blue tie. Dressing at regular speed Clark exited his bedroom at 11:15.

Clark entered the kitchen to find his mother making pancakes. Walking to the coffee pot he poured himself a cup and sat down, heavily, at the table. Before he’d taken three sips of his coffee a plate of steaming blueberry pancakes was set before him.

“Good morning, Sweetie,” Martha said kissing his cheek. “Did you sleep well?”

“Considering I slept for fifteen hours and I didn’t hear a peep all night I’d have to answer yes to that question,” Clark said around a mouthful of pancake.

“You were exhausted, Clark. You needed the rest and your body finally made you take it. By the way, I was watching the news and it was very quiet last night. Nobody missed Superman,” Martha said gently.

“Thanks, Mom, but I’m not worried. The emergency services are very capable of handling things in my absence. After all I haven’t been around much this week anyway.”

“I’m glad to hear you say that, Honey. You need to take time for your son. We all understand there are times when you need to be away, like this past week, but the world can deal with its own problems too. Superman can’t do everything or be everywhere.”

“I know, Mom, and I plan to spend more time at home. Unless it’s a real emergency my family comes first.”

Martha poured herself a cup of coffee and joined her son at the table. Mother and son sat quietly, enjoying each other’s company. When Clark had cleaned his plate of the stack of pancakes Martha had placed there he picked his plate up and placed it and his cup in the sink.

“I’ll be off now, Mom, and unless Perry has me on something special I should be home by 5:30.” Clark was almost to the kitchen door when he paused, turning back to his mother. “Mom, how about we all go out to dinner tonight? Can you make us reservations for 6:00 at Lombardi’s?”

“That sounds great, Sweetie! I’ll take care of everything, see you tonight.”

Life was kind to Clark Kent for the next two weeks. His alter-ego was not needed very much allowing him to return to his normal work and home life patterns. Stories came and went with no major investigations coming his way. All of that was about to change.

“Clark! My office, now!” Perry bellowed from his office door.

Crossing the newsroom in seconds, Clark entered Perry White’s office. “Yeah, Chief?”

“Close the door, Son,” Perry said, leaning back in his chair.

After shutting the door Clark took the chair in front of Perry’s desk and waited. He didn’t have to wait long.

“Clark, I’ve been given a tip by one of my contacts. Something big is going on,” Perry paused to gather his strength for what he knew was going to be a shock to the man sitting in front of him. “Intergang is making a resurgence, at least that’s what my source says.”

Clark felt as if he’d been kicked in the chest. He found he was having trouble breathing and his vision seemed to narrow. If he didn’t know he was invulnerable he would have sworn he was having a heart attack.

“In… Int… Intergang?” he said weakly. “But Perry we put them out of business years ago!”

Perry had known that his news was going to be a shock to Clark but he couldn’t let it overwhelm them now. “You did, Son, you did. But it looks like someone is trying to resurrect it.”

“Who?” Clark said shakily.

“That’s the problem, we don’t know. All we have right now is rumors of a gang from Central America that has been trying to recruit known Intergang operatives to join them. They’ve been very careful not to arouse attention, but my source was tipped off by an undercover operative who was contacted himself.”

Clark sat there, stunned. Intergang. He’d hoped never to hear that name again. Shaking his head slightly he asked Perry the question that needed asking, no matter how much it pained him.

“Why me, Chief?”

“You’re my best reporter, Clark. If anyone can find out what is going on it’s you. I know I don’t have much to give you because there is precious little to give. I want you to start putting out feelers to your sources as well. Now that we know something is going on I want you to do everything you can to stop this before they can take over.

“Also, I know this is personal with you. I wanted to let you know as soon as I found out. I didn’t want you to hear this from anyone else.”

Perry noticed the change in Clark’s demeanor immediately. Gone was the devastated man who had been sitting in front of him at the start of this conversation. The man who took his place was every bit a super man, determined to destroy the evil that had stolen his most precious love from him five years ago.

Clark met Perry’s gaze with his own determined one. “Thanks for the information, Chief. I’ll get on this right away.”

“Remember, Clark, it’s still very early, there may not be much to find. I don’t want your regular work to suffer because of this, or your family life, if you get my drift. That boy of yours isn’t going to understand why his dad is gone all the time. No matter how much you want to devote all your time to shutting these bastards down you need to be smart about this.”

Clark sighed, knowing Perry was right. He couldn’t spend every waking minute hunting these animals, as much as he wanted to. He had a job and a family who needed him. “Thanks, Perry. I’ll be careful not to go off the deep end. I hope that you’ll give me a kick in the backside if I start.”

Perry smiled, knowing Clark would be all right. “I sure will, Son. I have that little boy to watch out for you know. Now git and let me get back to this story Ralph submitted. If he wasn’t a board member’s son he’d be out on his ear, I swear!”

Clark chuckled, feeling sorry for Perry, and headed back to his desk.

On the way to his desk, Clark saw Jim Olsen coming out of the storeroom. “Jim, can I see you a minute?”

“Sure thing, CK, what do you need?”

“Come into the conference room with me, I don’t want to talk about this in the newsroom.”

Jim knew something had to be up because of the serious look on his friend’s face. Whatever Clark wanted he’d get it.

“Jim, I need you to do some very discreet searches for me. Nobody but Perry or I can know what you are doing.”

“Of course, CK, what is this all about?”

“Perry just told me that there are credible rumors that someone is trying to reconstitute Intergang,” Clark said keeping his voice low.

“Intergang?!” Jim whispered. No wonder CK was being so secretive about this. If Intergang was on the rise, nobody was above suspicion.

“Perry got a tip from one of his deep cover sources who told him some Central American gang was contacting former Intergang members to recruit them. I want you to start researching every Intergang member we know about. I want to know their current whereabouts, occupations, bank accounts, anything you can get.”

“That’s a lot of data, CK. It’s going to take time, especially if you want to keep this between you, me and Perry.”

“I know that Jim. Only work on it in your spare time. Never leave anything out where someone else can see it. If you can’t find me when you have something give it to Perry or lock it up. I’m going to be putting out feelers to my sources as well. I think we’ll meet weekly at a restaurant to go over our progress. To anyone else it will look like three friends having a good time, in case anyone is watching, which I don’t think they will be, at least not right away.”

“Sure thing, CK. I’ll get right on it,” Jim said determinedly. “We’ll get ‘em, CK, you’ll see!”

“You bet we will, Jim, you bet we will!”

Clark headed to his desk to get back to the story he’d been working on when Perry had interrupted him. His eyes fell on the picture of Lois that graced the corner of his desk. Picking up the picture he felt tears pricking at the corners of his eyes.

“I’ll shut these people down if it takes the rest of my life, Lois, I promise!”

Clark Kent picked up his phone and dialed the number of his favorite snitch.

“Bobby here!” Clark heard Bobby answer chewing his food all the while.

“Bobby, it’s Clark. I need to see you right away.” Sensing the urgency in Clark’s voice Bobby put down his sandwich and swallowed noisily.

“Centennial Park, by the fountain, one hour?” Bobby said.

“See you then.”

An hour later Clark entered the park, immediately heading towards the fountain at its center. Spying Bobby Bigmouth sitting on a bench Clark hurried over.

“Walk with me, Bobby,” Clark said, strolling down the path with Bobby following a few steps behind. Clark turned off the path and onto a grassy hill.

“Bobby, I need your help. I was just told that Intergang is being reconstituted. Have you heard anything, anything at all?”

“Intergang!” Bobby whispered. “I thought they were done for.”

“So did I, Bobby. Those monsters killed my Lois and I want them, bad!”

“I haven’t heard anything, Clark, but I’ll keep my ears open, no charge. What they did to Lois was unconscionable so anything I can do to help you is my pleasure.” Bobby said sincerely, his face reflecting his anger.

“I appreciate that, Bobby. But be careful, okay? These people are dangerous and I don’t want anyone else getting hurt.”

“Will do, Clark. If I have something I contact you the usual way?”

“Yeah, that’ll be good, thanks again, Bobby, I really appreciate this.” Clark shook Bobby’s hand and walked away, heading out of the park.

Clark’s next stop was Louie’s Bar and Pool Hall. Stepping into the smoky bar Clark looked around for the proprietor, Louie. Seeing him in the back, shooting pool with a very large tattooed man, Clark made his way over to them.

“Clark, what can I do for ya?” Louis said, setting his cue on the table.

“I need to talk to you, privately,” Clark said, a serious look on his face.

“Can ya give us a minute?” Louie said to the man he’d been playing with. Once they were alone, Louie took Clark aside.

“What’s up?”

“I know you hear things. You know guys who know guys. I heard that someone was trying to put Intergang back together and I want them!” Clark growled, his hands clenching into fists.

“I haven’t heard anything like that but I’ll look into it. Anything you need to get them bastards after what they did to my girl Lois!” Louie exclaimed, chomping on his cigar emphatically.

“Thanks, Louie, I knew I could count on you. Be careful though, these are ruthless people and I don’t want anyone else to be hurt.”

“I’ll be careful, Clark don’t you worry. If I hear anything I’ll let you know.” Clark shook Louie’s hand and left.

A few weeks later a call came in to Clark’s desk at the Daily Planet.

“Clark Kent, Daily Planet,” Clark answered absentmindedly.

“Clark, Louie—.”

“Louie! You got anything?” Clark asked excitedly.

“Sorry, kid I got nothin’ so far.” Louie said dejectedly. “None of my usual contacts have heard anything. I don’t know if it’s because there’s nothin’ or if they’re scared, but I’ll keep on ‘em!”

“Thanks, Louie, I know you will. We haven’t had any luck either but I’d hoped…” Clark said, rubbing his hand over his face in frustration.

“I wish I had somethin’ for ya, I really do. You take care, Clark and when I hear something you’ll be the first to know.”

“Bye, Louie,” Clark said, hanging up the phone. Since it was after 5:00 he packed up his briefcase, shut down his computer and headed for the elevator. The ride down ended, the bell signaling the elevator had reached its destination. The doors opened and Clark walked slowly over to the old Jeep. Clark climbed in and was about to start the car when Bobby Bigmouth popped up in the back seat.

“Bobby! Geez, you scared me. How do you do that?” Clark said, his heart rate slowly returning to normal.

“Trade secret,” Bobby grinned then his face turned somber. “I’ve had my ear to the ground ever since we talked and, I’m embarrassed to say, I’ve got nothing! It’s like trying to get the lowdown on the Kennedy assassination, for Pete’s sake. No one knows anything, there’s no rumors at all, and that’s not normal. I’m sorry, Clark. I’ll keep on this but right now there’s nothing to find.” Bobby hung his head, his failure weighing heavily on him.

“Thanks, Bobby, I know you’re doing everything you can and I appreciate your efforts. You sure I can’t get you something from that little Italian place you like so much?”

“Nah, but thanks for offering. I told you this was a freebie and I wouldn’t feel right taking payment, though it is tempting.” Clapping Clark on the shoulder Bobby exited the car as silently as he’d entered it. Clark heaved a big sigh, turned the key and drove the Jeep towards home.

TBC in part 2