Hate Myself For Loving You
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 2

The Metropolis Prison security room was quiet. Each guard on duty sat diligently at his monitor, keeping an eye on the prison through the closed-circuit security system. Officer Christopher Gomez leaned back in his rolling desk chair, stretching his legs as he monitored the activity inside the visitor’s room. He was just about to change cameras when a familiar face caught his attention.

Gomez frowned as he watched a short brown-haired man exit the prison visiting room on the monitor. Gomez had just returned to his post after an investigation into a prisoner’s death less than a month ago. The man on the screen had been the last visitor for Sean McCarthy before his surprising death that Gomez found himself questioned about again and again with no explanation for McCarthy’s death other than a possible undiagnosed heart problem. The image of the last visitor’s face had been thrust on Gomez during the investigation again and again. Seeing his face so soon after McCarthy’s death left an unsettling feeling in Gomez as he called out to his fellow security office for assistance.

“Sanchez?”

William Sanchez rolled his chair over to Gomez, looking over his shoulder, “What’s up?”

“That guy look familiar to you?” Gomez pointed at the image of the man leaving the visitor’s room with his head ducked down to avoid the cameras.

“Looks suspicious,” Sanchez commented.

Before Gomez could reach for his phone to call in the suspicious activity, Sanchez shouted at the screen, “Damn! Diego Martinez’s down!”

“What?!” Gomez bolted out of his chair, racing for the door as he heard the sirens fill the hallways.

“All guards report to the visitor’s room. We’re on lockdown! Repeat! All available personnel report to the visitor’s room! Lock it down!”

The police station was abuzz with activity as Detective Ryan walked through the busy walkway, weaving and bobbing his way to the printer to retrieve the printout for his surprise guests. He looked over his shoulder and pointed ahead, “It’s been less than twelve hours, Ms. Lane, I’m not sure what you expect to find.”

“Well, you were the lead detective on the scene last night, Detective Ryan,” Lois Lane responded, stopping a few feet behind him as he reached for the printout on the printer. “Surely there must be something the police is looking into besides a drunk driver?”

“Carter was in the wrong place at the wrong time,” Ryan said with a shrug. “Any evidence regarding Ms. Drake’s bombing was sent over to the ATF lab for further examination,” Ryan explained. “Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

“So, is the Metropolis P.D.’s investigation stalled?” Clark Kent asked with a look of shock on his face.

“We’re…” Ryan shrugged his shoulders, unsure how to respond. “Running down more leads and talking to suspects.”

“Anyone in particular?” Kent asked, crossing his arms over his chest with a stoic expression that made Ryan think twice before responding.

“The department is doing everything it can to find Mayson Drake’s arsonist, but at this time there are no suspects,” Ryan explained almost on auto-pilot with the phrasing he’d repeated to numerous networks and journalists that continued to try and get the scoop on the ADA’s attempted killer.

“I’m sure you are, Detective,” Lois Lane smiled back at him. “I’m actually surprised your department was able to dismiss the charges against Mr. Carter so quickly. That’s got to be a lot of long hours from your department.”

“Yes, Ms. Lane,” Ryan’s chin jutted out, and his chest puffed out proudly as he responded to her. “We were able to secure the crime scene and finish the exam in less than four hours. Everyone was determined to bring the suspect to justice.”

“Which your department is still searching for.” Kent clarified, tapping his hand on the report Ryan had handed the duo earlier. “According to the report, you suspected the drunk driver?”

“Yes,” Ryan let out a deep sigh. “Off the record, the guy seemed to fit the character of our suspect. He was at the crime scene and couldn’t explain where he was going or how he had so perfectly struck the ADA’s car in such a way that the trigger on the incendiary device hadn’t blown the entire block” A look exchanged between the two reporters and Ryan continued sheepishly. “I’ll admit I had him in my crosshairs, but the evidence just wasn’t there. We cut him loose this morning with a DUI charge and are still looking for the person responsible for this.”

“And no one else was at the scene?” Lois inquired, crossing her arms over her chest.

“No one other than the ADA’s assistant,” Ryan sighed, running a hand through his hair. “We have an interview scheduled with her this afternoon, but given the lack of statement we got from her last night we’re not really holding our breath.”

“Well, since your department has finished its exam of the crime scene, would it be all right if Mr. Kent and I had a look at Ms. Drake’s car?” Lois Lane asked, her voice dripped in a sugary tone that he was sure would have given a diabetic a coma.

Ryan swallowed hard, realizing he had no choice given he’d just admitted that the department had completed surveying the crime scene the night before. Besides, what harm could it really do to show them Mayson’s car?

The long corridors of STAR Labs almost seemed to be closing in as Mayson made her way to the intake lab. Time seemed to be determined to fight against her. Less than a day after she came into possession of this mysterious pill and she had found herself in the crosshairs of someone dangerous enough to bomb her car. Last night had been terrifying and enlightening all at the same time.

The bitter memory of what else had occurred last night threatened to push its way to the forefront of her mind, and she quickly dismissed it. She couldn't allow that to draw her focus away from whatever it was she had discovered.

She reached the intake desk and leaned over to fill in her information, reaching absentmindedly into her purse for the capsule. She frowned when she didn't feel the round capsule in her palm. She set the pen down and rummaged through her bag, searching for the missing capsule. It had been right here…

"Ms. Drake?"

Mayson looked up, apologizing to the intake technician. "I’m sorry. I don’t know where it is in this mess of a purse. I just had it."

"We're open till five, Ms. Drake." The attendant gave her a reassuring smile as she removed the top form from the clipboard. "I’ll set this aside for you."

Mayson nodded, accepting defeat as she turned to leave.

Where could it have gone?

Lois walked through the impound yard, careful not to trip over the disarray of bolts, bumpers, and headlights that were scattered through the yard like a jigsaw puzzle. She followed Clark through the maze of broken car parts and abandoned cars with a grimace. “Is this an impound yard or a graveyard for everything with a motor?”

“You’d be surprised what the patrol picks up around this city, Ms. Lane,” Detective Ryder responded, pointing up ahead where a familiar sedan covered in black singe marks and ash was parked at the end of the path they were on.

“You’re telling me,” Clark said just loud enough for Lois to make out. She gave him a puzzled look, and he shrugged, “I mean, with some of the stories we’ve covered in the past year it makes sense. Where do you think all the charred automobiles went after the Toasters?” he pointed to a few cars in a similar state a few feet away.

Lois nodded, uncertain what to make of Clark’s response. She turned her attention back to Detective Ryder. “So, were the police able to find anything from the remains of Mayson’s car?”

“You know I can’t comment on an ongoing investigation, Ms. Lane,” Ryder said, stopping in front of what used to be Mayson’s car.

“Can’t blame us for trying, right?” Lois flashed him a quick smile, and Ryder let out a long sigh.

“Thanks, detective,” Clark responded.

“We’ll take it from here,” Lois said as she pulled out a disposable camera and began taking pictures for reference of the damage. Detective Ryder disappeared in the direction where they had come in, and Lois turned back to the car.

“I guess we should get started,” Lois said, taking a moment to absorb the gravity of the damage that had been done to Mayson’s car. How strange it was to stare at something so insignificant and be hit with so many emotions.

It was confusing.

Relief that Mayson –someone she’d grown to tolerate over the last few months –hadn’t succumbed to the incendiary device that had been meant for her. Anger over the act of violence and yet grateful for the careless driver that had possibly saved the ADA’s life.

Her relationship with Mayson Drake had been complicated, to say the least. Her anger over Mayson’s ambivalence toward Superman and the blatant way Mayson threw herself at Clark. At the time, Lois wasn’t sure why it bothered her, but as time went on, she grew to realize why Mayson’s behavior bothered her so much was the hard truth about her feelings for Clark. She hadn’t wanted to face the change that had subtly taken place over the last few months.

Now, months later, they were in a different place. With the small exception for her lapse in judgment yesterday afternoon when she shoved Clark at Mayson in hopes of not having to face the feelings that had emerged the night before. Clark hadn’t willingly gone, and the moment they left, she found herself faced with the bitter taste of contempt for the ADA. No matter what she couldn’t hide from the feelings she’d been forced to face.

“Hey,” Clark reached over to squeeze her shoulder. “You okay?”

Lois’ lower lip tucked itself comfortably under her upper lip and looked back at Clark, uncertain how to respond. “She was really lucky,” Lois commented quietly, not answering his question.

She stared at the melted metal on the front grill of Mayson’s car and let out a shudder. Standing here in front of the blackened metal that was once a fully operational automobile sent a shiver down her spine. This could have easily ended in tragedy, but it didn’t. Mayson hadn’t been in the car when it had exploded. It was by sheer chance that the ADA’s life had been spared by a drunk driver losing control of his vehicle.

“Lucky would be for her not to have had a car bomb planted in her car, to begin with.” Clark’s hand fell from her shoulder, resting on her upper arm as he stood next to her, taking in the remnants of Mayson’s car bombing with her.

Lois cleared her throat, pulling herself away from him as she pointed to the other side of the car. “I’ll take this side. You take this one?”

“What exactly are we looking for?” Clark asked, walking to where she had pointed him.

“I don’t know, but this is the scene of the crime, so hopefully there’s a…” She stopped when she felt something beneath her foot. She bent down to pick up what appeared to be a long metal capsule of some sort.

“Find something already?” Clark asked, walking up behind her.

“I don’t know,” Lois frowned, “but whatever it is doesn’t appear to have any damage to it despite being less than a foot away from Mayson’s car.” Lois reasoned aloud as she examined the capsule in her hand.

“Looks like it twists off here,” Clark pointed to the center where there was a ridge in the metal. A quick twist of the metal capsule and the two pieces separated, revealing three blue pills that fell into Lois’ palm.

“What do you think it is?” Lois asked, cupping the capsule in her palm protectively.

“Something someone went to a lot of trouble to keep safe,” Clark observed, pointing to the blue tablets in Lois’ hand.

“Maybe someone at STAR Labs can tell us why?” Lois said, tightening her fist around the tablets as she hooked her arm into his.

Mary Williams tucked a long hair behind her ear as she looked around the mostly empty parking garage for Albie. These meetings were becoming more and more frequent, which made keeping her cover at the District Attorney’s office more difficult. She glanced at her watch, catching sight of the time. Albie was late…again. Just as she was about to give up on him, she spotted the familiar curly-haired man coming around the corner.

“Mary,” Albie’s tongue almost slithered as he breathed her name.

She felt a shiver of disgust run through her as she stared back at Albie, wondering what more could be expected of her. “The DA’s starting to ask questions about these long lunches, Albie.” She tapped her foot impatiently. “I can’t just leave whenever you call.”

“You act as if this is an inconvenience, Mary.” Albie chastised, clucking his tongue. “Correct me if I’m wrong and I’m never wrong, but it was you that came to Mr. Gables for help after you were caught embezzling funds from ….”

“I know! I know! It was my idea!” Mary fumed, pacing in front of him. “Just because Mr. Gables holds the purse strings doesn’t mean he needs to be careless.”

“We’re far from careless,” Albie snorted.

“Really?” Mary scoffed, setting a report down on the hood of the sedan behind her. “What would you call this?”

The report from Metropolis Penitentiary had a photo of Albie with Diego Martinez moments before his passing and another photo of Albie with Sean McCarthy who had passed away from similar circumstances.

“It seems we have a problem,” Albie observed coldly.

“This can’t lead back to me, Albie,” Mary warned.

“Lead back to you?” Albie scoffed with a mocking laugh, “Mary it’s already in your house. You had no problem accepting Mr. Gables’ money or partaking in the illegal obstruction of justice. If I go down. You go down.”

“It’s not my picture on those security cameras,” Mary reminded him.

“Not yet,” Albie replied smoothly. “Why don’t you quit worrying about a lowly prison guard and focus your attention on finding that resurrection pill Mayson Drake got her hands on.”

“I told you she doesn’t have it. I’ve searched everywhere.” Mary growled back at him.

“Now we both know that’s not true, Mary. If you’d searched everywhere, you would have found it.” Albie grabbed the file from the hood of the sedan and walked away. “Find the pill and destroy it. Mr. Gables doesn’t take failure well, Mary. You should know that by now.”

Lois turned the key to the ignition, starting the engine and took a quick glance in her rearview mirror to check for any last-minute surprises before pulling out of her parking spot. She let out a long breath as she turned back to Clark, who was seated next to her in the passenger seat.

“So, I guess we wait to hear back from STAR Labs and hope for the best,” she said, verbalizing the obvious as she pondered what their next move should be. Was it too soon to drop by the ADA’s office and get a statement?

She stopped outside the parking garage, blaring her horn at the car that had just sped by. “Watch it, moron!”

“Lois,” Clark reached his arm out to place his hand on her shoulder. “They had the right of way.”

The knowledge of the driver’s right to jet out in front of her like that did little to settle her current mood. “Well, they don’t have to be so cocky about it.”

“Cocky?” Clark raised an eyebrow at her, holding back a smirk.

“Yes!” Lois fumed, pulling out into traffic and ignoring the chuckle her partner let out. She shot him a threatening glare as she straightened up in the driver’s seat.

“O-kay,” Clark mumbled, turning away.

Lois turned out on Main Street and let out a long sigh. “What do you think that pill was?”

“I don’t know,” Clark shrugged his shoulders, looking back at her. “We’re not even sure it had anything to do with Mayson’s car bombing.”

“It was under her car,” Lois huffed as she jerked the wheel once more.

“Did you see the impound lot?” Clark chastised with a raised eyebrow. “You could barely get to Mayson’s car in there.”

“Fine,” Lois lamented, unwilling to continue this argument further. “So if you’re a bad guy and the ADA gets their hands on a pill, why would you try to destroy it rather than attempt to steal it back?”

“You don’t want the ADA finding out what the pill does?” Clark guessed, reaching over to grab the dashboard as she reached the parking garage for the Daily Planet.

“Whatever that pill is it’s got to be connected to something big. Attempted murder on the ADA isn’t something to be taken lightly.” Lois reasoned aloud.

“I just wish we knew what it was.”

“I guess our next step is to talk to Mayson,” Lois acknowledged as she flashed her Daily Planet ID card to the parking attendant to enter the parking garage.

Mayson slammed the door to her office, tossing her purse across her desk, haphazardly as she let out a loud scream.

It was gone.

She had searched everywhere.

In her now charcoal burnt car.

In her purse.

In that sorry excuse of an impound lot.

She even checked her office and had found nothing.

Panic slowly began to rise as she paced around the room, running her hands up and down her arms as she looked to the board that was pushed up against the wall. A tremble ran through her fingers as she stared at the back of the board, recalling her late-night spiel down memory lane, reliving each and every painful rejection over the last several months.

She stopped in front of her desk, leaning over to turn the radio on, hoping the distraction would help. Unfortunately, instead of calming music, she was greeted by a breaking news story on the airwaves.

“Officials still don’t have any answers for how this happened, but this is the second inmate to fall ill and die unexplainably at Metropolis Penitentiary. More information will be released later this afternoon, but you have to wonder what’s behind something like this…”

A soft knock came from her office door, and she let out a sigh of defeat, reaching over to twist the knob of her radio off and then turned to answer the door. She really needed to have a conversation with Mary about visitors. Mayson reached for the door, jerking it open. She felt her heart lurch in her chest when she found herself staring back at the reason for her torturous evening and painful memories.

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube