It's been a long time since I wrote anything. I think I am a bit rusty. But when I read Queen of the Capes' challenge, I just couldn't let it go unanswered. This little fic might not meet all requirements, but I just hope you will accept it. wink

No More Excuses

Clark Kent straightened his tie as he arrived back at the newsroom. He smiled to himself. It had been a quick rescue of a poor woman that would have been mugged, hadn’t it been for Superman. Her attacker was now in the capable hands of Metropolis’ finest and at least for tonight, Superman had one thug less to worry about. His gaze wandered over the newsroom, in search for Lois.

His smile faltered, as he saw her standing behind his desk. She held her arms folded in front of her chest and a deep frown creased her forehead. Clark’s heart beat quickened as he recognized the expression that had earned her the nickname ‘Mad Dog Lane’. He approached her with a lump in his throat. Their relationship was somewhat strained ever since she had found out about his alter ego. He couldn’t blame her, of course. But he still hoped that she would eventually forgive him for deceiving her. His heart sank. This didn’t look like forgiveness at all.

“Clark Kent!” Lois said reproachfully. “You have some explaining to do! The conference room, now!”

“Oh boy,” Clark muttered under his breath, following her. This couldn’t be good. He went into the conference room and closed the door behind them.

“I thought you said you were done having secrets from me, Clark.” Lois started. “And when I opened a drawer of your desk to get your notes on the ‘Miller case’, I found this.” She gestured towards the conference table. “A carton of cigarettes, the video ‘Plan 9 from outer space’, which is probably the worst movie ever made and…” she drew in a sharp breath as words seemed to escape her. She opened her mouth and made a face as she pointed at the turtle that was sitting on the table, placidly chewing on a lettuce leaf. “Care to explain that?”

Clark felt his cheeks grow hot with embarrassment. “Well… you said that I should come up with some better excuses than the ‘Cheese of the month’ club. So, I got the cigarettes. I figured that smoking might explain some of my shorter absences. As for the video, I thought that it would look better, if I actually had a video to return, the next time I’m using that excuse. I didn’t pay much attention which one I borrowed.”

Lois’ lips twisted into a small smile. “Okay.” Her stance relaxed somewhat. “But that still doesn’t explain the turtle.” Clark opened his mouth. “Wait, don’t say it. You wanted to actually have a turtle, in case you ever needed to tell someone that you forgot to tend to it.”

Clark shook his head. “No. I got Charly when Mom told me she wanted a turtle for her birthday. It turned out that she had said turtle neck pullover. Guess, I wasn’t listening that carefully.”

"And why exactly are you keeping that turtle in your desk drawer?"

"Charly seemed kind of lonely?“ Clark replied sheepishly.

Lois gave him a soft peck on the cheek. “Oh, Clark, you definitely need help coming up with excuses.”

The End

Last edited by bakasi; 07/15/19 03:56 PM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool