[Linked Image]This is Our Story
Folc4evernaday

Description: A chance meeting across a stranger named Jack makes Clark think more about his relationship with Lois just as Lex Luthor finds himself faced with neverending bad luck that can ruin even the best laid plans.

A/N: In no way do I think these two shows should ever meet, but I thought it might be funny to throw a little bit of laughter into things. The character I chose is Jack Pearson from This is Us. For those that aren’t familiar with the “Crock Pot” incident on the show here’s a link to explain some back story. The episode from Lois and Clark the New Adventures of Superman I chose is “Barbarians at the Planet.” I hope you all enjoy it.

Huge thanks to NostalgiaKick for being Beta on this one. You rock!

Chapter 2

<<“What if it does?”>>

Those were the scary words that had been uttered. It was finally out there for both of them to face. Lois ran a hand through her hair, looking over at the dark-haired man that had just stepped on the elevator in a new light.

<<“Take a chance.”>>

A date.

She had agreed to one date tonight with him. One evening where they would both throw caution to the wind and determine if it was worth taking a chance and exploring the possibility of more than friendship with one another.

One date.

<<“What if it bombs?”

“What if it doesn’t?”>>

<<“We’re best friends.”

“We’ll always be friends.”

“Promise?”>>

She had agonized over every possible lousy ending to this evening and second-guessed her decision to as Clark had put it ‘take a chance’ and see where this goes. She could always back out and probably save herself some heartache, but then she would never know the answer to the questions her mind had presented her with over the last twelve hours.

She felt something toward Clark. Whether that was more than friendship, she wasn’t sure, but there was a pull that had always been there. She had spent the last year trying to deny it and push him away but she was done running. She was done hiding.

She needed to know.

He probably needed to know just as badly.

The elevator pinged, and she waited for the other patrons to exit, lingering behind with Clark for a moment. “Busy day, huh?” she commented, teasing her hair with her fingertips as she looked over at Clark.

“Yeah,” Clark nodded, walking with her into the lobby. “But productive.” He flashed a quick smile her way and added. “You found the needle in the haystack that I’ve been looking for for months. I’d say that’s a win.”

“We found a connection to the mysterious boss.” Lois sighed, taking the compliment in jest. “We still have no idea who the boss is or how to prove this boss ties back to Lex.”

“We will,” Clark replied confidently. His smile spread across his face, reaching up to his cheeks and spreading across his cheekbones.

“How can you be so sure?” Lois asked, eying his burst of confidence suspiciously.

“Because we’re the best,” Clark said, walking through the rotating glass door with her.

“I guess we are,” Lois said shyly, feeling her own smile spread across her face. They stopped on the sidewalk just outside the Planet, finishing their conversation before parting their ways. Would they still joke around like this after tonight? A hard lump filled her throat as she realized how much was at risk. She let out a raspy sigh and whispered, “That’s what makes this so scary.”

He nodded, letting out his own sigh, “Lois, if you’re having second-thoughts I…”

Before he could finish making the offer to not go through with the date, she cut him off, shaking her head adamantly. “No, that’s not what I meant. I just…I’m scared of losing this.” She motioned between the two of them.

“Well, if it makes you feel any better, I’m scared too,” Clark admitted, reaching over to cup her cheek.

“Really?” Her eyelashes fluttered as she looked back at him, feeling a wave of relief wash over her.

“Really,” he echoed, dropping his hand from her cheek. “Look, I’m not going to stand here and lie and tell you everything will be fine. I honestly don’t know. I do know it’s worth at least trying to see where this goes. Whether we’re going back to being just friends or something more tomorrow, it’s at least worth giving it a shot.”

Lois nodded, letting out a light breath as she stared back at him in wonderment. She was really doing this. They were really doing this. “So, Centennial Park at eight?”

“That’s when the Light Festival is supposed to start, yeah,” Clark nodded, taking her hand in his.

“So, we’re not going to sit here and pretend we don’t know each other over a candlelit dinner?” Lois teased with a half-smile.

“I figured we could do that while at least trying something fun. That way we could at least enjoy ourselves if we end up boring one another,” Clark teased back.

“I’ve never been to a Light Festival before,” Lois admitted shyly.

“Well, neither have I,” Clark responded with a chuckle. “We can be newbies together.”

Lois let out a light chuckle. “See you at eight.”

Lex held his chest as he let out a loud bark, coughing up what felt like his lung as he exited the private terminal to his jet. The brisk cold rattled down his airways, and he gasped for the scarce oxygen in the Arctic cold.

“This way, sir,” the pilot pointed to the car in front of them.

Lex nodded, holding his fur-lined coat to him, seeking a warmth beneath the bristling wind that howled in his ears. “How much farther?” Lex shouted into the wind.

The pilot didn’t seem to pick up on his question but rather pointed up ahead as he backed away to return to the jet. Lex thought momentarily about lashing out at him but given how crucial his timeline was in order to retrieve the Kryptonite he thought better of it. Just as he reached the car he let out another raspy cough, feeling his insides contract with each breath.

‘No, not like this,’ he thought feeling a panic rise up inside him, but before he could muster up the energy to scream the pain overtook him, knocking him unconscious.

Lois felt a flutter in her abdomen as she looked across the pond that was dimly lit with the light show. She turned to Clark as they strode through Metropolis’ Centennial Park, noting the tranquil surroundings as the lanterns glowed in the air above them.

Had it really only been just twenty-four hours since that conversation?

She had spent hours agonizing over the confession and what exploring the possibilities would mean, but to her surprise, once Clark had shown up at her door, she found herself at ease. She looked over to the fountain where the lanterns floating in the sky were hovering, emitting a warm glow across the crystal-clear water. There was no pressure to put up a façade that came with the many dates she’d been setup on by her sister or her mother’s friends.

This was different.

“I had no idea they did this,” Lois commented, pointing up at the night sky where the lanterns floated above them.

“Me neither,” Clark shrugged his shoulders, holding up the lantern they’d picked up from the lighting station a few feet away. “I saw a flyer for it the other day and figured it might be worth it to check out.”

Lois cracked a smile back at him, “Taking quite a chance there, weren’t you?”

“Yeah, but that’s what life’s about, isn’t it?” Clark asked. “Taking a chance?”

“I guess so,” she agreed, watching the reflection of the golden light from the lanterns emit from the corner of his glasses. She let out a long breath she didn’t realize she had been holding and turned to him, “I don’t open up easily. I guess I don’t have to tell you that, but despite everything you’ve still been there. You’re literally the only person outside of my sister I’ve opened up to and not had my trust betrayed.”

A look of uncertainty crossed Clark’s face, and he looked torn for a moment before she leaned up to brush her lips against his in a soft, featherlight kiss. Caution quickly turned to curiosity as desire quickly pushed its way to the forefront of her mind. Any doubts or uncertainties she’d had about tonight quickly disappeared as Clark’s hands moved to both sides of her face and his lips found hers again and again. She murmured her approval, looping her arms around his neck and giving the kiss the attention, it so desperately needed.

An older man in black bowler hat checked the time as he watched the paramedics attend to the man that had collapsed on the tarmac. He held the lead-lined box in his hand and turned to leave as the time of death was called out.

“Such a shame,” he thought aloud to himself. “A simple checkup from a doctor would have prevented Mr. Luthor’s untimely death, but then the timeline could have been seriously altered had he been in full control of his faculties and able to come after Superman.” He typed in a code on the handheld computer. “Submission for automatic destruction to Utopia 2245.”

A chirp came from the device in his hand, and a robotic voice responded, “Submission accepted, Mr. Wells. Timeline is intact. Ready for transfer?”

“Just be sure not to misplace my coat this time,” Wells responded. “It’s bitterly cold up here.”

Clark felt the prickle of uneasiness on the back of his neck as he stepped inside Lois Lane’s apartment. Lois’ heartfelt admiration for what a good friend he’d been despite everything weighed heavily on him as he took a seat on her sofa. The evening had gone better than he could have dreamed, but there was still the nagging issue of his alter-ego. He knew he couldn’t realistically pursue anything real without telling her the truth.

Still, he couldn’t help but feel apprehensive of sharing this part of his life with her. In all twenty-seven years here on Earth, he hadn’t told a soul outside of his parents. He kept everyone at arm’s length, preventing them from discovering just how different all-American boy, Clark Kent really was. His greatest fear was to open up and tell those he cared about most the truth and have them reject him.

In his head, he knew the chances of Lois doing such a thing were slim to none. He found himself in constant competition it seemed with his super alter-ego, but still, he couldn’t help but wonder if the revelation would result in his worst nightmare come true.

<<“Take a chance.”>>

The wise words had brought him this far. When push came to shove, he knew he trusted Lois more than anyone and knowing that was what put his mind at ease as he toyed with different scenarios, wondering just how the revelation should go.

Lois handed him a mug of coffee, taking a seat next to him on the sofa. “So…” she cleared her throat, breaking the silence as they turned to one another.

“So…” he cleared his own throat, unsure what else to say at that moment.

“I guess we’ll have to make plans for next year’s Light Festival.” Lois smiled up at him from behind her mug of coffee. “Tonight was fun.”

A relieved sigh escaped his throat, and he nodded, “So, we failed to bore one another? Maybe we can give it another shot with dinner Friday night?”

A light chuckle escaped her lips, and she nodded, “I’d like that. I mean, it’s only fair that we give this boring one another a decent shot.”

“Of course,” he grinned back at her. A long pause fell between them, and she smiled, “In all seriousness, I did have a good time. I’m willing to see what happens if you are.”

The corners of his mouth twitched as he stared back at her, uncertain how to react. Here he had just spent the evening with Lois in what could only be described as the perfect date. No calls for help. No disasters. Everything worked perfectly.

The only thing that didn’t work was the secret he was still harboring. ‘Just rip the band-aid off’ he told himself, straightening up. “I want that too, Lois,” he reached over to take her hand. “But if we’re going to do this then there’s something you need to know.”

He felt Lois’ gaze on him as he stood up, pacing in front of her nervously as he went over every possible way he could do this. Giving a speech left too much room to be misunderstood and would likely result in only drawing out the inevitable. A quick reveal would be the best route.

He swallowed hard and then said, "It’s probably easier if I just show you." Taking the final leap of faith, he took his glasses off and set them on the table.

Just before he looked up to meet Lois’ gaze, he added. “I’ve never told anyone this. I tried to keep it hidden for the longest time, but keeping it hidden has only isolated me further. I trust you more than anyone, and that’s why I’m trusting you with this.”

A flicker of recognition crossed her face just before he took the final step and disappeared into a blur of red and blue before her eyes. The blue, red, and yellow suit left him feeling exposed and naked under her widened eyes.

“I guess we have a lot to talk about,” Lois whispered, staring back at him in awe.

~The End

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube