Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
My first thought was to set it beside a swimming pool, but that was a bit too obvious for my taste. So here it is, set in an unnamed pool hall and presented for your late-night enjoyment. Let me know what you think of this quickie.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
That was fun and adorable, great job Terry!

"HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE." -Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
Kerth
Kerth
That was so incredibly perfect! The twist of them already being married was wonderful, and upped the stakes even more for me. I needed a laugh and that was just the right thing! Hilarious!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That was adorable, Terry! I LOVE the twist that they were already married and that the summer words weren't what we would normally expect them to be. Awesome story!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Terry!
Lois leaned on her cue and sized up her next shot – a two-bank carom that would knock in the twelve ball and set her up with a good angle at the eight ball.
/laughs about her calling her shots/

Lois shrugged. “Well, I’ve had the table for almost an hour, and I’ve got a good stake for my next poker game. But I’m game for another one. Any takers?”
So, where do we place her. I’m guessing pre-pilot Lois but post-college.

No one spoke for a moment, then a baritone voice spoke from the front door. “How about me?”
A farm hick enters a billiard joint…

Her voice froze. It was suddenly quiet enough to hear a cricket burp. Her next challenger was Superman.
Oh. So, Season 1, then. He does know that blowing on the cue ball isn’t allowed, right?

She made the decision to rip her husband a new one when they got home.
shock

He grinned. “Just call me Superman, please. And no, I don’t carry money. I can, however, bet a ten-minute flight over the city, payable tonight, if I lose. Is that good enough?”
*squints* I don’t think so, but she’ll have to take it for appearance’s sake.

Before he took the shot, Lois said, “I don’t think you’re allowed to float above the table like that.”
They don’t have rules about his feet needing to stay on the ground, do they?

“You sank the eight ball without calling your shot. You lose.” She shoved the bill back into her jeans pocket. “I think you owe me a ten-minute flight over the city.”
She not playing fair.

She almost laughed in his face. “I’m ready now. I want you to fly me home so I can tell my husband how I beat Superman at eight-ball.”
*nods* Yes, by distracting him with her feminine whiles.

LOIS: I just outsmarted him.

Same difference.

Quite entertaining and well crafted. Well, the usual stuff, I guess clap

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Excellent and unexpected use of those 5-words. I especially love how Lois swindles him at the end. Great!

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Terry,

clap This was NOT at all what I had expected from the challenge but I do LOVE it. Great use of the words and love the banter between Superman and Lois throughout the game.

Fun twist at the end. thumbsup

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Thanks, everyone.

Darth, I looked up the rule about keeping one foot on the floor, and I found that it's intended to keep people from laying on the table and "accidentally" messing up the rest of the pool balls. I couldn't have that, so I added a sentence about not laying on the table to Al's response.

It was fun! And I'm pretty sure this is the first challenge I've ever accepted. I know it wasn't what forc4evernaday was expecting, but it's what popped into my mind.

I keep telling y'all that my muses are twisted sisters. Maybe you'll believe me now.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Features Writer
Features Writer
Well done! Great use of the words in an unexpected setting, and loved the banter back and forth.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard