Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#284559 05/26/19 10:45 AM
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Chapter 8 was one of my favorite chapters to write, if only for the calculations I got to do wink. I actually sat down with numbers and data for that amount of oxygen calculation. I was very surprised (and also excited) that it really only came out to just under three liters of liquid oxygen! My page of calculations is quite messy unfortunately, but I loved it enough that I think I will have my students next year perform this calculation when we are working on conversions.

Also, I made a new graph:
[Linked Image]
that reflects the word count vs post since I've decided to post two chapters at a time sometimes. I took the much smaller chapters and combined them and you can see the graph is a bit smoother now. grin

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and the new graph wink. Thanks for reading! Lay on the feedback!

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
L
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
L
another great chapter but I have a slight feeling Superman that this will be a bad idea

* once a Lois and Clark fan, always a Lois and Clark fan *
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally Posted by LadyTpower
another great chapter but I have a slight feeling Superman that this will be a bad idea
Only a slight feeling? wink I suppose the real question is just how bad will it be?

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Love the new graph!

Interesting character, Miss Seville. The records she's rewriting, I assume are only a few years at most, since code wouldn't help rewrite written records or microfiche. Quite an undertaking, since I assume they'll be rewriting not only official records like employment records and tax forms but also magazine and newspaper articles. It would be interesting if someone discovered a paper trail of unaltered records, like newspaper articles. Or video or pictures...

The humanity in Superman’s response surprised Scott.

Looks like Scott is beginning to see more of Superman/Clark. Will he eventually recognize that he can be hurt not only physically but also emotionally?

For a moment, Scott considered whether this was too much. Had he crossed that line he’d set for himself? But he had his family to think of and they weren’t killing the hero, just relocating him. Scott swallowed his remorse and focused instead on what was left to be done.

I like how you hint there may be hope for Scott. Sounds like he's trapped by his choices thus far. Wonder exactly what he feels he's protecting his family from, and whether he succeeds or not.

Relocation is an interesting euphemism for what they are doing. If Scott continues down this path, I can see him becoming as evil or almost as Lex. shock

Well done!

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally Posted by cuidadora
Interesting character, Miss Seville. The records she's rewriting, I assume are only a few years at most, since code wouldn't help rewrite written records or microfiche. Quite an undertaking, since I assume they'll be rewriting not only official records like employment records and tax forms but also magazine and newspaper articles. It would be interesting if someone discovered a paper trail of unaltered records, like newspaper articles. Or video or pictures...
You are right about the written records and microfiche. In my head, there is certainly more than just Seville working on replacing written records. But Lex isn't exactly rewriting everything into something new, much of it is simply modified or changed only slightly. Perhaps I need to make that more clear in this section.

Looks like Scott is beginning to see more of Superman/Clark. Will he eventually recognize that he can be hurt not only physically but also emotionally?
I like how you hint there may be hope for Scott. Sounds like he's trapped by his choices thus far. Wonder exactly what he feels he's protecting his family from, and whether he succeeds or not.
Well I couldn't possibly answer these questions without giving things away wink

Relocation is an interesting euphemism for what they are doing.
Isn't it? Remember, Scott saw what they did for the homeless kid a chapter or two earlier. At this point, he doesn't see it much differently.

If Scott continues down this path, I can see him becoming as evil or almost as Lex. shock

Well done!
Oh no! There may be more evil in me that I originally thought!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
“Well, I guess it could be worse.” The way Superman was always so positive was both good and bad. Scott appreciated that he was such a good guy, but at the same time, it made his job just a little harder. Knowing that this trip wasn’t actually taking place, he felt kind of bad for giving Superman the idea that Krypton might be out there…

I said it before and I'll say it again; I do not like this guy Scott. Is there a single thread of decency within his heart? To send a man into space, for five years knowing that what he's looking for is not there is cruel beyond cruel. splat

Scott never really considered what this trip might mean for Superman and surprised himself in realizing that assuming Superman would feel nothing about it was unreasonable. Scott hadn’t realized just how human Superman was. He shook these thoughts from his head. Becoming sympathetic to Superman would not serve him well.

Nope, not a thread. He is the exact opposite of Superman. What a creep.

For a moment, Scott considered whether this was too much. Had he crossed that line he’d set for himself? But he had his family to think of and they weren’t killing the hero, just relocating him. Scott swallowed his remorse and focused instead on what was left to be done.

Hmmm, suddenly I'm feeling a little nervous for Scott!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard