Next Thread
Print Thread
#284516 05/19/19 03:42 PM
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
The Story.

The beginning of Part 2 - time for some answers to some of those burning questions. (Did you notice the continuation of the quote at the beginning of this part from the last? wink) This chapter is the last of the longer chapters. The rest are close in size to the first two as you can see from this picture (that I finally googled how to add).
[Linked Image] (Kept small on purpose. If you want to see it bigger, let me know.)
If you have strong opinions about me posting more at one time when chapters are smaller, please let me know.

Hmmm... The last couple of chapters I had some interesting tidbit regarding the writing of them. Nothing too fascinating with this chapter, I just had to put on my Lex hat for a while. I do enjoy using the more flowery, pretentious language. Scott developed later on in the writing process (after the first 50,000 words) as his role grew to meet the needs of the plot.

I hope you enjoyed it! As always, lay on the feedback, be it good or bad! grin

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Ah, so we learn here how Lex corrupted his enemies' memories. Nice touch, and something of a call-back to Luthor in his comic book days as an evil scientist and inventor. Here, though, he's commissioning a bad machine instead of building it himself. It's true to his character.

I assume that this Scott is the same one who prompted Lois to regain her real memories. I wonder what kind of monkey wrench he threw into the works to make the memory wipe/implant less than permanent.

Hightower appears to be the kind of scientist who builds something just because he can, never mind the possible consequences. Guess he never read the original Frankenstein novel, where the baron builds and reanimates the Creature who turns out to have no moral code whatsoever, not unlike Lex Luthor.

My opinion on your posting schedule is that you post on the schedule with which you are most comfortable. It might teach us readers some patience as we await the next installment of this twisted tale. I eagerly await the next chapter - I want to learn when and how Clark regains his memories. I also want to know what happens to Lana when that happens. Will she spill the beans on Clark's special talents? Or will Lex perform that odious task out of spite?

Great story, Jelly. But you're tickling my muses, and they're unpredictable when that happens. No telling what they might give me now.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Features Writer
Features Writer
When I saw your comment about the quote, I went back to check the quote, which I'd brushed over the first time. blush I also checked the dates, so I could keep them straight.

Yes, this chapter did answer some questions. Very chilling encounters in this chapter! And Lex certainly worked fast to get everything in place! I do wonder if Jason's reward will be the same as the man who sold Lex kryptonite in Season 1.

It will be interesting to see how Lex with or without Hightower will be able to keep all the various memories straight, especially if there's an unexpected encounter by two people with differing memories. Sounds like they'd need a spreadsheet, and maybe you did for this plot!

Scott is intriguing. Now you have me wondering whether he's a complex character, and whose side he's really on. I'm sure that will unfold with the tale.

Dr. Hightower strikes me as a dark version of Sam Lane. Both seem to not consider ethics when approached with a research project.

I agree it's up to the author how often to post and how much. That said, I've also been known to spend marathon reading sessions and never complain about early or unexpected postings or long chapters, especially in epics. So I will happily read whatever and whenever you decide to post. Timing of my feedback will depend upon my schedule in addition to any postings. wink

And I think Terry mentioned in an earlier chapter's FDK, and this chapter confirms that your Lex is one of the most evil, if not the most evil, I've encountered in fanfiction. shock

Keep posting, and thanks for the regular schedule, dependent upon your own schedule.

clap

Last edited by cuidadora; 05/21/19 10:54 AM.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

L
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
L
There is no telling in what will happen in this story and I like it. Good job girl

* once a Lois and Clark fan, always a Lois and Clark fan *
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
Ah, so we learn here how Lex corrupted his enemies' memories. Nice touch, and something of a call-back to Luthor in his comic book days as an evil scientist and inventor. Here, though, he's commissioning a bad machine instead of building it himself. It's true to his character.
He always delegated tasks in the show to the person he thought was right for the job, so I followed suit.

I assume that this Scott is the same one who prompted Lois to regain her real memories. I wonder what kind of monkey wrench he threw into the works to make the memory wipe/implant less than permanent.
Yes, Scott Ferguson, cameraman from Chapter 2. I thought perhaps you just pointed out an omission typo, but his last name is there. Only time will tell wink

Hightower appears to be the kind of scientist who builds something just because he can, never mind the possible consequences. Guess he never read the original Frankenstein novel, where the baron builds and reanimates the Creature who turns out to have no moral code whatsoever, not unlike Lex Luthor.
Hightower was too busy trying to pull the wool over the medical board's eyes to read wink

I eagerly await the next chapter - I want to learn when and how Clark regains his memories. I also want to know what happens to Lana when that happens. Will she spill the beans on Clark's special talents? Or will Lex perform that odious task out of spite?
Ooh, great questions! Only time will tell smile

Great story, Jelly. But you're tickling my muses, and they're unpredictable when that happens. No telling what they might give me now.
Thanks! Can't wait to see what tickled muses lead too. grin

Originally Posted by cuidadora
When I saw your comment about the quote, I went back to check the quote, which I'd brushed over the first time. blush I also checked the dates, so I could keep them straight.
Yeah, I went back and forth on how to do the time, but everything else I tried was more confusing than just putting a date there...

Yes, this chapter did answer some questions. Very chilling encounters in this chapter!
Chilling! I guess my Lex hat was definitely working when I wrote this then. wink

. Sounds like they'd need a spreadsheet, and maybe you did for this plot!
I actually have three separate Excel spread sheets each with multiple tabs that I used to not only keep track of dates and memories but to give myself an idea of how much story I had left to write, among various other things. It was how I was able to produce the graph I posted. I updated it to this:
[Linked Image]
which I've color coded grin to show the chapters split into parts. (I apologize if my spreadsheet nerdiness is a little excessive. Believe me, I'm holding back...)

Scott is intriguing. Now you have me wondering whether he's a complex character, and whose side he's really on. I'm sure that will unfold with the tale.
Indeed, it will. smile

And I think Terry mentioned in an earlier chapter's FDK, and this chapter confirms that your Lex is one of the most evil, if not the most evil, I've encountered in fanfiction. shock
This is so surprising to me! While I was writing I was also reading a couple of other things and I felt like my Lex was so tame in comparison. But I suppose the magnitude of his plan is part of what makes him so evil?

Keep posting, and thanks for the regular schedule, dependent upon your own schedule.
I will! And you are welcome. Maybe I'll add some surprise posts on special days.

Originally Posted by LadyTpower
There is no telling in what will happen in this story and I like it. Good job girl
grin Yay! Half the time I didn't even know what was coming! There were several moments where I gasped when I realized something. At times it felt like someone else was writing it (which is how I understand the muse idea now) and I was just along for the ride (and to edit mistakes wink ) and reading as I went.

Thanks, everyone, for the great feedback! Can't wait to see what everyone thinks in the next few chapters of Part 4!

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
WOW! A graph depicting word length of each chapter? Honestly, this little ole writer is seriously impressed! Now onto my brief thoughts regarding this fic.

Carl Buchner, the guard assigned to supervise Lex’s comings and goings most days as well as this one, led him to the common room and released him. A look crossed between them and Lex turned his attention to the other door across the room where Jason Mayzik had just come through. Carl would be gone for two hours, giving him ample time to get what he needed from Mayzik. Lex gave a discreet nod to Travis Knapp, the other guard doing his bidding.

Lex had lost everything.

His fortune was gone.

Lex Luthor, having lost everything has only two choices:crawl into a deep, dark prison hole or get back what he's lost.

We know he ain't gonna do the former ...

“Yes, and you won’t be surprised to hear who!” The twinkle in Mayzik’s eyes was exhilarating, like a toddler ready to spill the beans on a surprise. “Or maybe you will be! Either way… It’s too bad Superman destroyed the book, or I’d tell everyone. You are the only one in a position to believe me, with the sordid history the two of you share…”

Only excessive experience on this end of a business deal would allow Lex to so easily mask his intense fascination. He merely lifted his eyebrows and waited for the anticipated bit of gossip.

“Clark. Kent.” The way Mayzik enunciated each part of the name emphasized the immense significance of what he was saying.

Mayzik always struck me as a pitiful replacement for Lex. But than it cannot be argued that he did get the jump on Nigel, something much better men than he failed to do. One wonders what would have happened to him if he didn't have his father's journal? In any case, this exchange let's us know he is not a match for Luthor who quickly sums up his infantile intelligence and takes the information he needs with all the skill of a trained interrogator. Nicely done scene.

A beep from the computer at his lab station jarred Scott Ferguson, research assistant at S.T.A.R. Labs, back to reality, indicating that it had finally completed the hours of analysis it had been working on. Wiping his bleary eyes and setting his book down on the table, he sat forward and squinted at the screen, trying to make sense of the data he saw there. Then his grey-green eyes widened.

Our introduction to Mr. Ferguson. I must admit his character is slightly different from what was expected, but we shall see where this character takes us...

Oh yes, I do not have any strong opinions about when you post as long as you keep the posts coming! As for me, onto the next chapter! thumbsup

Last edited by Morgana; 05/25/19 01:54 PM. Reason: Additional comments

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally Posted by Morgana
WOW! A graph depicting word length of each chapter? Honestly, this little ole writer is seriously impressed!
grin I knew I wasn't the only one who would appreciate the graphs.

Mayzik always struck me as a pitiful replacement for Lex.
I completely agree!

Nicely done scene.
Thank you!

Our introduction to Mr. Ferguson. I must admit his character is slightly different from what was expected, but we shall see where this character takes us...
Scott surprised me as much as anyone, I think. To begin with, his name was originally Carl, but it just didn't suit him (and Carl worked better in another role). And then I had no idea what role he really played until further in the story. huh

Oh yes, I do not have any strong opinions about when you post as long as you keep the posts coming! As for me, onto the next chapter! thumbsup
I've decided to combine some of the shorter chapters (beginning with 7 and 8 tomorrow) and have made a new graph showing the changes grin. It definitely smooths out the graph a little. smile

Glad you are enjoying it!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard