Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#284483 05/15/19 10:02 PM
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Chapter 4. And now for a little bit of Lois's story.

Driving to a football game on November 2nd, I was listening to Nat King Cole while considering what I could add to my story or how I would expand the outline and notes I'd already written the night before. Paper Moon (the recording I listened to) came on and as I was singing along to the lyrics, inspiration struck. That night much of my story came into focus.

The last scene of Lois's memory in this chapter was heavily influenced by the second movement of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto Number 4 ( Linked here, cued up to the second movement ). The first time I wrote it, it was terrible (seriously wallbash ) and the comment I left myself in the margin literally said "lame. fix this." Weeks later, after reading up on how to write this kind of scene, this piece played through my car stereo and it held every emotion I wanted this scene to be. (And here's a link to Unforgettable, the story after which this is named (though it wasn't until the story was almost completely done that I realized what the title would be).

Regardless of whether the music moves you the way it does me, or even if you don't listen to it, I hope you enjoyed this last installment of Part 1.

Keep the feedback coming, good or bad.

Next week starts Part 2! grin

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Gah! shock Lex reprogrammed the memories of almost everyone in the nation? How could he accomplish that? Is Lois' programming failing because of Scott's prompting or because it isn't permanent?

And just who is Scott? (My former brother-in-law, the cheating, cowardly putz, is named Scott. Hard for me to disassociate the two.) What is the deal with his sister? Did she release him from his programming and send him to help Lois before she died? Who else remembers the truth? When will Clark remember, and who will help him? Will Scott help Lois remember and assimilate her corrected memories before Luthor comes home? I can't believe that he'd initiate such a drastic step if it wasn't part of a larger plan that's almost ready to move forward.

Yikes. Luthor is worse here than at any time during the series, worse than I've seen him in fanfic, worse than I've ever dared to write him. You've captured my interest, and I can hardly wait for the next chapter.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Features Writer
Features Writer
Catching up on my reading. Glad I had three chapters to read, But... YIKES! jawdrop

Boy, you've left me with a TON of questions. Definitely intriguing. Glad you're posting twice a week. With this plot you've spun can see it taking 35 chapters to explain all and fix whatever is fixable.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
Gah! shock Lex reprogrammed the memories of almost everyone in the nation? How could he accomplish that?
You know, that was one of the hardest parts of the plot to come up with. It literally was a struggle that didn't get worked out until I'd already written half of the words. All in due time.

And just who is Scott? (My former brother-in-law, the cheating, cowardly putz, is named Scott. Hard for me to disassociate the two.)
I have this same sort of problem with people named Dan. :cringe: In addition to not liking Dan in the show because he was distracting Lois from Clark, I also didn't like him because all people named Dan must be evil wink (at least until they prove they aren't). More on Scott coming up soon!

Yikes. Luthor is worse here than at any time during the series, worse than I've seen him in fanfic, worse than I've ever dared to write him.
shocked At first this surprised me, especially after reading some recent selections by a few evil-minded authors wink, but you may be right.

You've captured my interest, and I can hardly wait for the next chapter.
grin Sunday starts Part 2, which, based on your questions in these last posts, will answer many of your questions.

Originally Posted by cuidadora
Catching up on my reading. Glad I had three chapters to read, But... YIKES! jawdrop
Yes! Exactly what I was going for. grin

Boy, you've left me with a TON of questions. Definitely intriguing. Glad you're posting twice a week. With this plot you've spun can see it taking 35 chapters to explain all and fix whatever is fixable.
At first I wondered if the plot was enough for me to even make the 50,000 word NaNoWriMo challenge. Boy was I wrong. It literally exploded.

I'm glad you all are enjoying it! And thank you for the feedback! smile

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Admittedly, I tend to stay away from dark fics (or fics that have such a seemingly hopeless premise), but I decided to give this one a shot.

Well, I must say I'm relieved, along with concerned. Relieved because what Lois thought was real is not but concerned because . . . how on earth can they make this right and stop Luthor? eek

Anyway, looking forward to hopefully seeing Luthor get what he deserves.

JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Blueowl,
I'm so glad you gave it a shot. I'm not much for dark fics myself either, if that helps, and never intended for this to be one. It is one sticky predicament they are in, though. You may find comfort in knowing that in books that I read, I am a huge fan of happy endings that aren't cheesy, ridiculous, or predictable wink.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard