Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#284426 05/12/19 10:50 AM
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
This installment is the longest chapter in the entire story.

I am very moved by music and used some of my favorite pieces to guide the emotions in scenes all over my story. Clark's back story here was heavily influenced by Rachmaninoff's Prelude Op 32 no 10 ( linked here played by my piano playing hero, Valentina Lisitsa. If you care to listen, the song is just over 5 minutes long). I found this song perfect for Clark and his misery.

While I'm sure not all of your questions will be answered just yet, I hope you find some solace in knowing a bit more of the background.

How are you feeling now? Did you listen to the song? (Imagine an excited child here pestering you with questions and it will be an accurate representation of my excitement grin )

Lay on the feedback, good or bad!

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
L
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
L
you got me hooked with this story waiting curiously what will happen next

* once a Lois and Clark fan, always a Lois and Clark fan *
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally Posted by LadyTpower
you got me hooked with this story waiting curiously what will happen next
I'm glad! wink You can imagine now why I still remembered the dream some twenty years later.

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer

When he finally made it home a few months ago, his parents even went so far as to help him find a job this time. Jonathan Kent knew some guys from his high school days who had moved to Columbia and, like Clark, were interested in journalism. They had made it and were working with the local paper there, the News Tribune. Jonathan put the word out that Clark was looking, and the position was brought to his attention.

“You’ll never be able to cut it in the big city if you don’t work your way up,” his dad advised. “Start with something easier. Columbia is a nice town that’s not too big but growing fast. Give it a try for a while and when that gets to be too easy, try Metropolis again.”

This is a unique take on matters. Normally it is Martha who swings int action to help her son. This time Jonathan is the one taking the reins. Oh, well, that is what father's do, assist their sons when they are much in need of assistance. Clark sound positively depressed. What on earth happened in Metropolis to make him run back home and effectively hide in shame?

A very cheery-eyed Lana answered the door. “Hey Clark!” She took his outstretched hand and, instead of shaking it, used it to steady herself as she stood up on her toes and kissed his cheek. “I made your favorite: bourbon beef tenderloin with a potato galette and shaved asparagus.”

Lana cooks? Now that is a definite twist in the tale!

And Clark wouldn’t be completely alone in this new city either. Maybe that was why things didn’t go so well in Metropolis. Maybe this would be different.

In Columbia? Not Paris or Madrid? So very different ...

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally Posted by Morgana
This is a unique take on matters. Normally it is Martha who swings int action to help her son. This time Jonathan is the one taking the reins. Oh, well, that is what father's do, assist their sons when they are much in need of assistance. Clark sound positively depressed. What on earth happened in Metropolis to make him run back home and effectively hide in shame?
Martha meddled some too, I'm sure, in not telling Clark Lana would be there as well. wink "Positively depressed" describes Clark very well. It will begin to make more sense soon.

Lana cooks? Now that is a definite twist in the tale!
Did you see the part where Clark felt bad for lying to her about liking it? wink She tries.

In Columbia? Not Paris or Madrid? So very different ...
It was a convenient location choice on several counts: It does in fact house a widely known journalism school; It is an appropriate size - bigger than Smallville, smaller than Metropolis; And icing on the cake, I live there so visualizing all the places things happened was very easy. I find describing actual place easier than inventing them in my mind. In the cases in the story of fictitious places, I did google searches until I found pictures of the things that matched what was in my head so I had something to look at.

Thanks for reading and for the feedback! Next chapter is up now, too!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard