Next Thread
Print Thread
#284267 04/21/19 05:00 PM
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Here's my latest! It's unBetaed, but it makes perfect sense to me. And it's not the usual fuzzy fare. NO WHAMs! I promise.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Terry,

Well done. Thanks for this glimpse into some characters we don't see very often in fanfic -- at least not in their teen years.

At first I had thought that the narrator was Lana, and I became briefly confused when I realized that it wasn't. I realized the truth shortly thereafter. I actually kind of like not being spoon-fed this information.

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Terry!

I knew that Clark and I didn’t have a future together.
Why would Lois say that?

I knew that his senior prom was the closest we were ever going to be.
Because she’s Lana! Or Rachel. Hmm…Rachel fits better, am guessing this is post-senior prom

a traitor, I know, and more expensive being an out-of-state student
Yes, but Rachel wouldn’t want t go to college near hear gun-wielding law-enforcement father. Might put a crimp on partying.

Wasn’t going to happen, but that didn’t stop the back fence telegraph.
Yeah, she’s not even pregnant after the senior prom.

I knew he’d use those skills to help people in trouble, saving lives, preventing accidents and other tragedies, and generally being a wonderful person.
She should talk to Lois one day, to learn what else these special abilities are good for.

But it was a sure bet he wouldn’t be able to do any of those wonderful things if Lana Lang didn’t keep her rich, privileged, fat little mouth shut.
Lana knows, too?

I did my best to look baffled. “Sure. He’s a great guy, and you shouldn’t have broken up with him last month.”

She did her best statue impersonation, then said, “Then you don’t know.”
No, Lana. Rachel hasn’t consummated with Clark, yet, so she doesn’t know about his special needs.

She looked horrified and jumped up to pace. “No! I – I don’t want him back! I don’t want to see him again! I – I can’t believe I – I actually kissed him!”
Look at the little princess. She kissed a frog. Boy will she be ticked off when she learns that he’s actually a prince.

“No! You stupid – Clark’s an alien!”

I gave her my best blonde impersonation. “You mean, like, he’s really from, you know, New Jersey?”
laugh

“Do you understand what I’m telling you? He’s not human! He’s – he’s something else altogether and he terrifies me!”
So, I guess that’s an x-nay on the alien probing?

I crossed my arms in front of me. That pose always made her flinch before, and it did this time. “No you won’t.”
Awww…little miss deputy is all grown up now! clap

She stumbled and grabbed the back of her chair to stay upright. “What? No! You – you can’t do that! He might – there’s no way to know what he might do to me!”
Yes. He might tickle her senseless.

“You had sex with him.”
Yes. She was probed by an alien and now she’s under his spell.

She slammed her fist on the table. “Be serious! You spent last night with him, didn’t you? Whose bed did you use? Or did you just go out to his parents’ barn?”
/points towards ceiling/

She fell back and hit the floor with her well-padded butt,
So, Rachel’s a tad catty, isn’t she?
RACHEL: What? I work out. She doesn’t.

I decided I wouldn’t even tell his folks what I knew, or that Lana had gotten part of it before I had.
Yeah, wouldn’t want that rumor to spread.

He was going to help people. He might even save the world before he was through.

And if all I could contribute to his efforts was to help him keep his secret, then I’d do that little bit.

When my mom got home, she got frustrated that I wouldn’t tell her why I was crying.
There there. [Linked Image]

Adorable tale with an unexpectedly deep finish clap

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Features Writer
Features Writer
I always thought Rachel was Clark's champion. This story describes a delightful back story, with the added bonus of Lana getting a well-deserved comeuppance. Well done!

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Features Writer
Features Writer
I wish they had Rachel in the show more. Like, a lot more. I think she would have been a great friend to Lois and a very interesting dynamic in the Kent family.
Anyway, loved this smile

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nicely done! I enjoyed getting a peek at Clark and company in their teen years. And having the story be from Rachel's POV was brilliant. I can totally see her defending Clark's secret and honor with little to no regard for herself. And I loved seeing Lana get knocked down a few dozen pegs. Well done, thanks for sharing!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow. This was beautiful! And so sad, not just for Rachel's doomed feelings but also Lana's awful bigotry. Just...yikes! And Kudos! laugh

~•~
L
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
L
I love this story. I love the way she defended Clark his secret

* once a Lois and Clark fan, always a Lois and Clark fan *
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Wonderful feedbacks! I respond thusly:

Lynn, sorry to trip you up on the (secret) identity of the narrator. I didn't do it on purpose. I did, however, assume that the FoLCs would realize that Rachel was Clark's date at his senior prom and that Lana would NEVER major in law enforcement. But you got it before too long. Yay! You win a no-prize!

Michael, you must have liked it - you quoted almost half of it! And thanks for liking the ending. I was aiming for mild pathos and I think I hit the target. I've always viewed Rachel as an under-utilized character, but I understand the limits of an hour-long TV show with two (or three - Superman or Lex Luthor) main characters and the need to focus on them.

Cuiadora, thanks for the compliment. You may know that I've written a very sympathetic Lana in "The Road Taken", although this version of Lana is pretty small-minded. She needed to be taken down a peg or two.

Blueowl, thank you. I have a long-form story which needs a Beta team wherein Lois meets Rachel and expresses the same opinion of their potential relationship as you did. And it's too bad the writers didn't make them pen pals or something.

DC, I'm glad you enjoyed this little sneak peek into an alternate world where Rachel is a year younger than Clark but still loves him honestly and unselfishly, even if it hurts her own heart.

Queenie, I'm glad you like the contrast between the two girls (young women?). I hope this Rachel can eventually find a guy who loves her for who she is - a tireless champion of those she loves.

LadyTpower, thanks for reading and commenting. I'm glad you liked seeing Rachel as Clark's hidden champion. I wonder if her mom would mention the incident to Martha when they meet at the market or the hardware store, and whether Martha would mention it to Clark.

See y'all on the boards!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Terry,

Clearly it is time for me to watch the series again. One of the things I am looking forward to next year. (If all goes according to plan, I'll be retiring at the end of this year and should finally have the time to do many of the things I've been wanting to do.

Aren't no-prizes from the marvelous competition? wink

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Rachel is a very under utilized character, glad she gets some attention here!

Aren't no-prizes from the marvelous competition?

To answer Lynn. Yes that prize is from the other guys.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard