Chapter 12 fly hard

Clark is sitting in his sofa staring straight in front of him, the sound of an action movie starring Chuck Norris filling the room. Clark kept thinking about what had happened today and how helpless he had felt during their hostage situation. He was there and he couldn't do anything about it. Not only did he risk his identity with Lex Luthor as a fellow hostage but he also risked harm to every citizen in Metropolis and he didn't know if the man hostage-taker was serious about the bomb or not. All due to the fact that he couldn't see through lead.

A knock on his door startled him out of his thoughts, "Who could that be at this hour of the night, it sure didn't sound like Lois," Clark lowered his glasses and watched through the door and was surprised to see Jack twisting and turning in front of his door, Jack looked like he was at war with himself, like he was still debating whether or not it was a good idea to be standing there. Clark walked towards the door, feeling at his head to make sure he was wearing his glasses, mostly when he was alone he placed his glasses on a nearby table in the living room. Clark sighed in relief that he was wearing them. He opened the door. Jack was still watching the door when he heard the sound of the front door opening.

“Jack, is there something wrong?” Clark asked immediately.

Jack sighed deeply, this was it there was no turning back now, “Clark, can I come in?”

Clark a little worried now over his young friend nodded his head and walked aside to let the young man pass, "Sure Jack, no problem, come in." Jack walked past him still not knowing how he was going to reveal that he knew Clark's big secret, that he had done a poor job hiding it tonight.

“Do you want something to drink?” Clark asked trying to hide his worries for the young man and what they had gone through earlier that night. Jack looked up feeling anxious rubbing his hands against each other, “Yeah, you got a soda?” Jack knew he was stalling.

Clark came back with the soda's, “so what are you doing on the street so late?” Clark asked curiously. It was almost midnight.
Jack his eyes focused on the floor, he looked up again, and murmured “Did you ever discovered something about someone...,” he sighed deeply before continuing “you want to talk to that person about it but you just don't know how?”

“Does someone else know what you discovered?” Clark asked almost knowing where this was leading too, he hoped he was wrong but he had been a little careless about his secret tonight due to the stress of being helpless.
Jack shook his head, "I don't think so, it is one of Metropolis best-kept secrets. Should I tell that person what I found out?" Jack asked carefully. Normally the young boy was known for being straight forward.

“You are absolutely sure in what you know?” Clark asked, trying to hide the anxiety he felt.

Jack nodded, he had a feeling that Clark already knew what he was going to say. It wouldn't surprise him, after all, he was Superman and Jack was sure of that.

“Let your heart speak, Jack. I know you will do the right thing.” Clark said gently.

Jack searched for every inch of courage he possessed, "I know about you being Superman and I want to thank you for everything you did for me in the past as Clark and as the man of steel. I want you to know that you can trust me, I will not betray you. Nobody has ever helped me as you did. Instead of hating me for breaking into your home, you took care of me, you helped me to become a better person."

Clark turned his back towards him and started walking to his balcony, Jack closely on his heels.

“There is no way I can convince you that it's not what it looked like, is it?” Clark asked while he looked towards the sky. The one place he felt at peace.

“Don't treat me like a moron, Clark!” Jack said a little agitated.

“ That wasn't what I meant, Jack. I don't want to bring you in more danger by knowing something about me.” Clark sighed.

“Clark, I lived on the street for most of my life. You don't have to worry about me, nobody will know that I know. I owe that to you. If there is ever something that you want to tell me, a bad rescue or something, know that you can count on me.” Jack said seriously

“Thank you, Jack. What gave it away?” Clark asked curiously.

“Besides the fact that you spoke out of turn and the fact that you stopped a bullet with your arm?” Jack asked laughing a little.

“Alright, I got the picture, but you must know that I never felt so helpless, I rescue people on a daily base and had no way to help my friends and Luthor. I really hope you will be the only one who discovered it tonight.” Clark sighed, letting his worries show for a brief moment.

“Clark, you did all you can. You couldn't risk our lives. Thanks to you Lois lives another day, so is Lex Luthor.”

“You are probably right, Jack. Thank you.”

Young Jack really felt lucky with a friend like Clark and he knew no matter what, nobody would know that he knew this secret.

The End, see you for the next episode.

comment

* once a Lois and Clark fan, always a Lois and Clark fan *