We Have A Lot To Talk About: Martha Kent

Martha’s gleeful. It’s too soon to be, maybe, but words are pouring out of her, words that have been locked up inside her for far too long, secrets and confidences, stories and assurances. Clark is the most important thing in her entire life, along with Jonathan, yet for his whole life, she’s never been able to really talk about him. She imagined it, of course, while listening to her friends talk about their own children’s births or special events or teenage trials, but how exactly was she supposed to bring it up?

“Pete’s growth spurts are making him clumsy? I know what you mean--Clark’s been holed up in his treehouse all summer since he pulverized three plates, two beams, and a car door. Oh, Lana’s birth does sound like a doozy. Much easier just to find the sweetest baby ever born in a spaceship crashed into a field and take him home with you--trust me, you’ll never regret it.”

No, for decades, all her special words have been bottled up inside her. She loves talking to Jonathan, her pillar of strength, but she’d always imagined it would be different talking to another woman. She’d dreamed of the day, of course, and begun to feel impatient since the first time, two years ago, that Clark mentioned the brilliant, beautiful, stubborn woman he’d been partnered with. But for all her dreams, there’d been as many obstacles…until Lois risked her life for Martha and Jonathan—and all for love of Martha’s baby boy.

So she’s probably saying too much--she’s certainly sticking her nose where it doesn’t belong--she can hear her words tumbling over each other in her haste to get them out--her desperation to have not just another woman, but this woman really understand her boy in all his insecurities and vulnerabilities, his secrets and his dreams.

And Lois, this wonderful young woman, looks at her with a watery smile and tells her she loves Clark--and of course she does. Martha’s known it since she first met her.

Martha can’t hold back her tears any longer. Finally, after all this time, she has a confidante. This is not the first time Clark’s fulfilled her dreams, but this feels almost as amazing as when Jonathan first pried that spaceship apart to reveal a baby who grinned up at her so sweetly.

She can’t resist spilling this last secret--excuse and explanation and thanks all at once.

“In almost thirty years, you’re the first woman I’ve been able to talk to about my boy.”

Even though she’s there to help and comfort Lois, it is Lois who pulls her into her arms as she cries. As they cry together, united in their love for Clark.

It’s a moment Martha knows she will always remember. And will always treasure.