A/N: Just a disclaimer that since I'm watching these with my sister, I don't actually pause and rewind and rewatch like I used to, which means I wrote down the quote as best I could catch. Hopefully they're not too far off. On a related note, since it's been a while, every quote and the stories inspiring these little moments were all written by others and don't belong to me, so no copyright infringement is intended!

And if anyone's still reading these despite my unbelievably sporadic posting schedule, thank you! I hope you enjoy and that it makes you think of your favorite moments from this great show, too!

Target: Jimmy Olsen: Dan Scardino

“I’ve been seeing Clark.”

Scardino stared. He couldn’t help it. It was so…unexpected. Well, of course he knew the guy was interested--hard not to, the guy wouldn’t stop butting in--but to know that Lois was dating him? No, that took Scardino completely aback.

Sheesh, leave town for a couple of days, he thought. Except…no. He remembered a few measuring glances Lois had sent Kent’s way, a couple of times she seemed uncomfortable when Kent said something to Scardino. But then, Scardino had just chalked it up to her being aware of the guy’s festering crush and wanting to be nice about it. Maybe, though, that had been wishful thinking.

Maybe, but he really hadn’t thought so.

He knew women like Lois Lane. At the top of her field, brilliant, beautiful, award-winning, a little cocky maybe, but he preferred to think of it as attractively self-assured. Women like her were a rare breed, while Kent…guys like him were a dime a dozen. Naïve, slow, polite, probably from some small town, attracted to greatness while destined never to be great themselves. Guys like Kent didn’t actually date women like Lois Lane; they just hung around them and wished.

So he stared. Maybe even gaped. Sheesh, a guy couldn’t be expected to completely keep his game face on with such unexpected news. He’d done everything right, after all--the unique gifts, the tragic backstory, letting her know he cared enough to keep watch over her, the compliments, he’d even saved her life.

And now this?

Lois turning him down in favor of…

“Kent?”

Scardino wondered if the entire world had turned upside down. That was the only explanation he could think of.

Ah, well. Maybe if he gave it another couple of days, it’d all turn right again.

He knew how this story ended, after all.