Chapter 33: Hey Big Spender

Lucy hadn't thought twice about it when her sister came home from work and insisted they go have a girl's night out. She'd cited that it had been a long time since they last went out together, and she could use a drink, and the perky insistence probably should have been a red flag. But instead she went along with it, and they got all dolled up in their best party dresses, and made their way over to some dive bar with a heavy jazz overtone that Lucy actually hadn't been to before. Lois insisted the place was great, though, and it was in its own way. The place was completely slammed with customers, probably showing up for swing night, and the music had been more lively than she suspected it usually was. Personally, Lucy preferred places where the music was so loud it shook you to the core, but the Metro Club was a nice change of pace.

Now she wasn't so sure this was a good idea.

"Wooh! Fill 'er up, Joey! Mama's thirsty."

"I think Mama's had enough," Lucy muttered, loosely holding back her sister's arm.

"Don't tell me what to do!" Her words came out slurred, and the way she pulled her arm back almost had her toppling off her bar stool. "I'm the big sister. I'll tell you when you've had enough. When I've had enough."

The bartender— Joey, apparently— had an amused grin on his face, and gave her a wink as he filled her tumbler with gin once more. She'd requested that he hold the tonic a few rounds ago, but Lucy suspected she would have to reverse that order pretty quick here.

"See? Joey knows me. I can hold my liquor." She took a slurping sip of her drink, and then leaned forward across the bar to pat the man's cheek. "You're the best, Joey!"

He had a twinkle of laughter in his eyes as Lucy pulled her sister back. "Okay, Lois, okay. Don't harass the poor man."

"I am not! Joey loves me!"

"I don't know that Joey does."

The young bartender laughed jovially. "I definitely find you entertaining, Miss Lane. Love might be a strong way to put it."

She sighed contentedly, cradling her gin warmly to her chest. "It's okay. Clark loves me."

Lucy raised her eyebrow at that. "Does he now?"

Lois giggled, a blatant sign that she was well past inebriated, and nodded. "Yep. He told me today."

Lucy set down her own drink on the counter and frowned. "Wait, what?"

Her sister gasped and clutched at her arm suddenly. "Oh! I love this song! Let's go dance!"

"Wait, Lo—"

She'd slipped away and into the throngs of people before her protests could be heard. Lucy huffed and downed the last of her vodka rocks before chasing her out there. She couldn't just blurt something like that and walk away.

She caught up to her sister just as she was belting out a few lines of the song playing overhead. She stomped her foot twice on the beat. "—good time! Let me show you a—"

"Lois, stop for a second."

"You're a real buzzkill, Luce."

"What did you mean, earlier?"

"I mean I really love this song!"

"No— about Clark."

Her eye roll was phenomenally exaggerated, whole head rolling, and she tottered back half a step in her stilettos. "I don't wanna talk about him."

Lucy sized up her older sister, crossed her arms sternly. "Lois, we don't drink in response to our problems. You know the rule."

"Oh. My. God. Lucy. Chill."

"Do I have to take you home right now?"

"You're ruining my so-ong!" Lois' petulant expression would have been funny if Lucy wasn't feeling so serious. The whining wasn't gaining her any points.

"Lois Joanne Lane."

"Freaking— he just said it, okay? Clark— he didn't seem like he meant to say it, he just did. Now lay off and let me dance!"

Lucy sighed and returned to the bar, where Joey stood watching with a smirk. "Your sister seems to be enjoying herself."

She scoffed, pushed her own glass back across at the man for a refill. "Yeah, a little too much. Want to cut her off for me?"

He smiled, and shook his head. "I'm not going to risk my neck over this. She likes me," he joked and Lucy rolled her eyes. "I called her boyfriend, though. Figured you guys would need a ride at the very least."

"Thanks. That's sweet actually. How do you know her so well?"

Joey gave her a funny look. "She did a story on this place a couple of months ago. She's been back a couple of times since."

"I don't have the time or the energy to read every story written by my sister."

A loud curse screeched in her ear, and Lucy almost choked on her vodka at the sound as her sister gave her whiplash. "Dammit! Luce, you said his name too many times!"

She wiped her mouth on her arm gracelessly, hoping no dribbles got on her dress. "What the hell, Lois? What are you talking about?"

"Beetlejuice!"

She looked at her sister like she'd grown a second head. She tried to follow her train of thought in some logical manner... but she drew a complete blank. "What?"

"Hey." A presence at her back drew her attention, and it clicked what Lois was trying to say. She turned around to find Clark Kent standing there with his fists balled up deep in his pockets. His smile was tight, guarded, and it made her stomach knot.

"What are yooou doin' here?" Lois slurred with a poke to his chest.

Clark appeared marginally amused, but he was quick to contain it, eyes carefully hiding his reactions. "I'm here as shuttle service. I heard you were terrorizing the joint."

Lois' eyes flashed with the shock of betrayal, and she whirled around to face the bartender. "Joey! How could you? And for your infirmasion, I'm not terring- terroring— ter-ror-rise-ing nothing," she sounded out, proud as a peacock when she finally got the word.

Clark bit his lip, unable to contain the smile dancing in his eyes. "You're cute when you're drunk."

"I'm always cute, han'some!"

Lucy turned back to face Joey as they dissolved into a back-and-forth on which one of them was cuter, figuring the man had the situation under control for now. "I thought you said you were calling her boyfriend?"

He shrugged. "We aren't that close. I don't know her boyfriend. All I know is she said Clark Kent loves her and he owns the joint. So I did some math."

Lucy pinched the bridge of her nose and turned back to face the two of them. Why did she have to be the adult in this relationship? "Look, thank you, Mr. Kent, for coming out here, but— Lois, get off him!"

Clark was stiff as a board as her sister draped herself over his arms, trying to get him to dance. "Oh, come on! If he won't dance to 'Big Spender' then what's he supposed to do?"

He cleared his throat and righted Lois' position, not objecting to having her lean on him heavily. "I'm supposed to take you guys home, Lois."

"But Kansas, I don't wanna."

"You don't have to," Lucy chimed in. "I mean, we'll probably be fine. I'm feeling alright still."

He shook his head firmly. "Nonsense. I'm not letting either of you drive in this state, plus my car's right out front. And, I can help you bring her into the apartment."

She sighed, and downed the rest of her drink. Clearly she wasn't gonna sway the man. He'd come all the way down here just to save her sister some embarrassment, and he'd just told her he loved her. Nothing she could do about it right now, and honestly, she probably was going to have a hard time dragging Lois home.

"Fine. Let's go."

The drive over was almost fun, partially due to the fact that Lucy didn't spend as much time in limos as her sister did; the other part was more fun for watching Lois humiliate herself in front of Clark Kent. He seemed to be enjoying it, indulging in her vices. It was a spacious vehicle, yet Lois was glued to Kent's side. Lois ran her hands over his chest, reaching into his jacket and into his pocket, but Clark luckily stopped her hands from traveling any further. She pouted. "I was just looking for a light," she said innocently, and Lucy rolled her eyes.

"I don't think you should smoke right now, Lois. You've had so much gin you might catch fire."

She gasped and swatted at his shoulder. "I will not!"

Clark chuckled, just pat his shoulder so she would lay her head on it and maybe calm down a little. It wasn't more than a minute until she fell asleep.

In a flash, the light-hearted atmosphere of the limousine cab evaporated. They sat across from each other in a tense sort of silence. Lucy eyed her sister's features, trying to ensure she was in fact asleep, before broaching the topic. "So. You love my sister."

She didn't miss the way he straightened in his seat, eyes widening and shoving his hands under his thighs so he wouldn't start fidgeting and wake Lois. Good. She caught him off guard. He opened his mouth like he was about to respond, but a glance at her face and he seemed to think otherwise. Lucy smiled. "You try any funny business and I swear—"

"No! I would never."

"Let me finish. My sister," she paused, considering how to phrase this. "She doesn't have the best taste in men. Generally goes after the wrong guy."

"I can promise you, I'm not the wrong guy."

"She has a boyfriend."

The words hung in the air like smoke, and Clark's nose scrunched up in response to the stale smell. "I'm aware," he hedged, not masking his bitterness very well.

Lucy smiled sadly. She liked Clark Kent, really she did. If the two of them had met at another time, or in any other circumstances, she could very well picture them together. But as things were... it wasn't good timing. "I don't want to see my sister in a compromising position."

Clark took his time with his words, although whether he was looking for the words to describe his emotions or simply for a line to get her off his back, she couldn't tell. The lights of the city reflected dimly off his glasses as he gazed out the window. "Lucy, I appreciate where you're coming from. I wish I had someone like you in my life to come to bat for me. You're a good sister." He took a beat, licked his lips. "My family... my home wasn't great growing up. I know I've got my own damage. Everybody does. But honestly? I've only ever loved one other person in my life, and until I met Lois, I thought it was a one-off. Puppy love. Never to occur again. But now... I feel like a kid again. And I don't want anything or anyone else. If she doesn't feel the same, that's her prerogative."

She felt a bit shell-shocked at his words. It was almost brutally honest. She couldn't imagine being so brave herself. Maybe one day she could learn a thing or two from the man. Lucy smiled tightly, unable to express her thoughts just yet. Lois loosed a light snore, startling them out of the moment, and Clark turned to grin at the woman on his shoulder. Lucy smirked.

"Okay, don't take this as a vote of approval or anything, but would you mind carrying her upstairs for me?"

He laughed softly through his nose and nodded.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain