Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#281182 07/01/18 10:06 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Enjoy!

My apologies to Mouse - we kind of both had the "struck" idea around the same time. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow. This was beautiful and poignant and sweet and lovely. What an excellent glimpse into them as youngsters [Linked Image]

"HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE." -Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yay you posted!

Doesn’t matter, he would immediately remind himself. Chances are, I’ll never see her again, even if we both do wind up becoming reporters. Face it, Clark, there’s no future with Lois.

Oh, that is just so sad! Poor college aged Clark! Little does he know, right? wink

Thanks for the waffy fun Vicki! clap

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
Features Writer
Features Writer
Aww, this was sweet and sad all at the same time, with a sort of wistfulness to it that really makes it linger in my mind.

I love the banter between Clark and Austin; it sounded so natural and organic -- which is especially noteworthy, because I think casual conversations are some of the hardest to write well!

And Lois even showed up! I was hoping she would, and then I was pleasantly surprised again when Dr. Klein was there, too, but it was tempered by poor Clark's sadness at that missing dot and his belief that he'd never see Lois again. I really liked how cautious he was about not giving out his contact information and all the things he has to think of at something so simple and everyday.

Really sad, but very good! Maybe one day he and Lois will be talking and suddenly remember this past run-in!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Endelda
Wow. This was beautiful and poignant and sweet and lovely. What an excellent glimpse into them as youngsters [Linked Image]

Thanks, E! It's always a fun challenge to write for L&C outside of their canon ages - be it younger or older. Plus, college age Clark is just adorable to imagine!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by folc4evernaday
Yay you posted!

Doesn’t matter, he would immediately remind himself. Chances are, I’ll never see her again, even if we both do wind up becoming reporters. Face it, Clark, there’s no future with Lois.

Oh, that is just so sad! Poor college aged Clark! Little does he know, right? wink

Thanks for the waffy fun Vicki! clap

Thanks, Val! Poor Clark has no clue in this fic. He's seeing his future by meeting Lois and seeing his past with the disappearance of Krypton. Poor guy - if he knew, his head would be spinning more than it already is! laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by AntiKryptonite
Aww, this was sweet and sad all at the same time, with a sort of wistfulness to it that really makes it linger in my mind.

I love the banter between Clark and Austin; it sounded so natural and organic -- which is especially noteworthy, because I think casual conversations are some of the hardest to write well!

And Lois even showed up! I was hoping she would, and then I was pleasantly surprised again when Dr. Klein was there, too, but it was tempered by poor Clark's sadness at that missing dot and his belief that he'd never see Lois again. I really liked how cautious he was about not giving out his contact information and all the things he has to think of at something so simple and everyday.

Really sad, but very good! Maybe one day he and Lois will be talking and suddenly remember this past run-in!

OMG! AntiK! *pounce*

So glad you enjoyed the story. It's weird - this story was born out of just hearing ethereal, spacey kind of music (background meditative stuff at a massage my husband booked for me). I had envisioned it being a much shorter fic, but, well, my muse rarely listens to what I tell her to do. I'm okay with this, because she usually makes it better than I anticipate it to be.

Glad you liked the banter. I always try to make it sound like something my friends and I would be like, while making sure it stays in character for Lois/Clark. But you're right - sometimes the simplest things can be the hardest to get down on paper.

Lois and Krypton - it's been quite the day for poor Clark!

Thanks for reading! So good to see you back around the boards!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Kerth
Kerth
My apologies to Mouse - we kind of both had the "struck" idea around the same time.

lol No sweat! It's quite striking. grin

This fic was really perfect, Vicki. I'm smiling and wistful after reading it. Somehow you captured that feeling of youth and still kept them in character perfectly. Old enough to be on their own, too young to lose that shine they have to them... So sweet!

I was slightly expecting Lois to show up, but I was thoroughly and pleasantly surprised by Bernie! Very clever.

Austin shrugged. “For you, maybe,” he teased gently. “Did they even have museums in Idaho?”

Clark laughed at his friend’s ribbing. “Yes, we had museums in Kansas,” he said, emphasizing the correct state name. “Nothing like this though. I guess it must be old hat for you, growing up in New York and all.”
I like Austin, and it's not always easy to introduce and entirely new character and keep them likable. You've made their relationship realistic, easy, warm. I love to see Clark with other friends outside his core circle in the show, and I can easily imagine Austin being a friend from college that he'd keep in touch with throughout the years. I'd also like to see a fic, maybe ten years down the road from this moment, where Clark runs into Austin and they catch up, and he remembers how smitten he was over Lois. It's a solid relationship. Very well done!

Clark had actually wanted to visit poor, lonely Pluto – mostly because it was so far out into space, and, as a result, rather mysterious.
mecry Clark sympathizing with lonely little outcast like Pluto left me feeling sad, but it's a great way to characterize his feelings without saying it out loud.

Clark smiled. “Couldn’t have put it better myself.” He paused for a moment. “Meat head footballer?” he asked quizzically, giving her a teasing smile.
lol My favorite paragraph, oddly enough. That beat in the middle and Clark going back for her comment about footballers made the whole thing very real. Love it.

She could be underage.

You could be arrested.
*snork* Priorities, Clark. Glad he had this thought too. Good Clark. *pats head affectionately*

And then, after each half-hearted and heartbreaking self-remonstration, he would slip off into dreamland, where, if he was lucky, Lois sometimes would join him.
Awwww. I cannot overstate how sweet and sad this piece was. I loved it dearly. Beautifully written, too.

clap

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Mouse! wave

Glad you enjoyed the story! It's always fun bringing our characters outside of their normal "box", isn't it?

You know, at first, I was only considering having him see Krypton in the deep space photos. But as I was writing, it became apparent to me that Lois was sorely needed. Bernie was just a bonus twist I didn't see coming until my muse threw him at me. laugh

I'm glad you enjoyed the "meathead footballer" comment. It struck me as pretty funny too.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful.

Framework4
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Framework4
Delightful.

Thanks very much! smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There was something so positive and innocent about this story. Lois and Clark are young, with their lives and careers in the not-too-distant future. Long before a crazy billionaire and an unscrupulous co-worker got in their way messing up the waters just a bit. So now, with a tad of quiet time on my hands ...

Clark understood his teammates’ grumblings. It was a gorgeous day out – cool and crisp but full of sunshine and the excitement of being in Metropolis. But, unlike his fellow football players, he wasn’t complaining about being in the museum. He was looking forward to spending the day uncovering the interesting facts held within the building and seeing all the things he’d never had the chance to see in the much smaller museum back in Kansas. He could scarcely wait to get started.

Yes! The Metropolis museum reminds me of the Metropolitan Museum in Manhattan. The place is HUGE! With enough permanent exhibits to keep you busy, forget about the new ones that come in every six months. Clark will need more than an afternoon to see this amazing gift box of history and science.

“That was gently?” Austin shot back playfully. “Good thing you’re going into journalism, not medicine. I can just imagine your bedside manner now.”

Clark gently clapped a hand on Austin’s shoulder. “And it’s a good thing you’re not pursuing a career in comedy. I’m not sure there’s enough rotten tomatoes out there.”

So cool to read that Clark has another friend besides Pete Ross! Austin is just the kind of person I can see him hanging around with. Anti-K is right, writing easy banter between friends is a challenge, but when the lines click into place they stay in the reader's mind for a lifetime.

He supposed he was somewhat of an anomaly that way. Most people his age would have little to no memory of the event, being only three or four years old at the time. But he could remember every last detail, down to the grainy images on the screen, to the red plaid T-shirt he’d been wearing, to the smell of his mother’s apple pie, fresh out of the oven and cooling on the stovetop. He remembered the rush of adrenaline he’d felt as those first few images from the surface of the moon flickered onto the screen and he’d caught sight of the brave astronauts who’d put their lives on the line to plant the flag into the lunar dust. He remembered how proud he’d felt to witness such a historic event, even if he hadn’t quite understood exactly how big a deal it had been. He even remembered how smitten he’d become with the idea of one day becoming an astronaut himself and going up into space to explore vast, uncharted new worlds. He’d spent so many afternoons having lunch on Mars or Neptune or some made up new planet that his mother had gone to the fabric store and found a shiny, silvery material to make him his very own space suit. His dad had found some old rubber hoses and a sizable empty box. A layer of duct tape and some painted-on designs later, and Clark had had a wonderful oxygen tank to strap to his back, like a backpack.

This paragraph is priceless.

Wow! his brain screamed, as he looked at her.

She was wearing a high school uniform, all maroon and white in color scheme. In white thread, the name St. Mary’s Preparatory School was emblazoned on the upper left corner of her maroon cardigan sweater. A garnet glittered within the setting of her school ring, clearly designating her as part of the senior class. She clutched a notebook to her chest and had a black pen stuck behind her right ear.

But her garb didn’t interest Clark at all. It was the girl herself who had him captivated. She was easily one of the most attractive women Clark had ever seen.

No, not one of, he corrected himself immediately. The most attractive.

Wow!

Stick a fork in him ... he's done!

The description of a very young Lois Lane is memorable - properly wearing her school uniform and class ring, proclaiming to everyone she is about to take on the world or at least her little part of it. As always she has a notebook and pencil at the ready. A true sign of the budding writer and future Kerth winner. This reminds me of your earlier work ... The Lemonade Stand.

“Right here,” Clark said, pointing, this finger just centimeters from the glass. “There’s something here. A star maybe. Or a planet. This faint blueish white dot here. See it?’

The girl got closer and squinted a little at the image. “Yes…” she said hesitantly.

“It’s not in the one from 1970.”

She snapped her attention away from the photo to him. “Are you sure?”

“Pretty sure, yeah,” he replied, pointing to where the dot should have been, but wasn’t. Instead, the space was as inky black as the rest of the void of the universe surrounding the other celestial bodies that the colored points of light represented.

The girl checked where Clark was pointing. “You’re right,” she said at length. “It’s not there. Some kind of mistake in the first picture?” She quickly checked the images from 1976 and 1981. But the dot didn’t appear in any of the other photos. “It isn’t in the others,” she announced after a moment.

“I know,” Clark said with a slight nod.

How heartrending. That dark space is where Krypton was.

Clark's thoughts in italics give us the perfect view into his mind. Love it!

“I wonder,” the girl said, her voice trailing off as she thought. She whirled around, searching the exhibit, then grinned as she saw whatever it was she was looking for. “Come on!” she said, brazenly reaching over and grabbing Clark’s hand, dragging him away from the images they’d been discussing.

The shape of things to come! LOL!

“Excuse me!” She used her free hand to wave at a man in a white lab coat.

Clark felt his heart clench reflexively in fear. He wanted nothing to do with a scientist at that moment. But his companion was moving with all the speed and force of a freight train, and he felt almost helpless as he allowed himself to be dragged along. And maybe, just maybe, he admitted to himself, he was a little curious to see what she was planning.

“Yes, young lady?” the man said as she brought them both to a halt in front of the older man.

Clark looked at the man’s name tag.

Dr. Bernard Klein.

Here we meet with my favorite scientist in the FoLC universe! Bernie! hyper

Was it love at first sight? he often wondered to himself, late at night as he reclined on his bed, his hands beneath his head, his mind drifting from his studies and football plays he’d memorized during the day and inevitably veering back to that fateful afternoon.

Hmmm, yes it was love at first sight. Why else would Clark have a difficult time committing to anyone else? As for having no future with her? Only time will tell.

Thanks DC. I will be voting for this story at Kerth time.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Morgana!

Thanks for the kind words on this story. So glad you enjoyed it. I had a lot of fun with it. You're actually dead on with thinking that the museum is reminiscent of the NYC museums. I mostly used the Museum of Natural History as my template, but I'll admit a bit of the MET snuck in there too. As well as having been to one of the museums in Boston last summer and being in their Planetarium.

I'm glad it harkened back to The Lemonade Stand for you. Writing young, innocent, and unjaded Lois and Clark is a lot of fun, if not a little more difficult, simply because they aren't the same characters we meet in the show - mid-20s and with actual, hard life experience under them.

Thanks for reading and commenting! Glad I could give you a story to enjoy. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Vicki!

“Here we are, everyone!” Coach Campos announced, flinging his arms wide as if to encompass the entire building. “The Metropolis Natural History Museum.
I wonder how young ‘young’ means. I’m assuming 16-ish? And it’s Clark’s first outing into the big bad world? I wonder what he will find in Metropolis. Aside from feisty local girls, I mean.

“Yes, Coach Campos,” the throng of college football players mumbled, most of them sounding annoyed to be spending the day inside a museum.
jawdrop He’s already in college? Oh boy. This means said earlier mention of a feisty local girl is at least a feisty student body president and possibly has a huge chip on her shoulder in regards to Hicksville football rowdies running amok in her beloved Metropolis. [Linked Image]

He also wanted to take his time and really study the things that interested him the most.
He does realize that in the Big City, they call it stalking if he trails after an 18 y/o high school student all day, right?

Clark laughed at his friend’s ribbing. “Yes, we had museums in Kansas,” he said, emphasizing the correct state name.
He does realize that the corn cob museum in the backroom of Maisie’s diner doesn’t count, right?
CLARK: It’s called a ‘museum’, thus it counts.

“Right? It was like we were dragging him to a medieval torture chamber the way he whined on the bus.” Austin shook his head.
They don’t have that particular exhibit in the Natural History museum?

“Right this way, oh unenlightened one,” Austin replied with a grand gesture to the left most doorway into the museum.
I wonder if Clark could read the descriptions when they are entering the room and then use that freshly gained knowledge to impress his teammate?

“Well,” Clark began, sipping the last of his soda. “I was really hoping to see the rocks and gems, then make my way to the planetarium.”
Good thing nobody found any Kryptonite yet.

Austin hooted a laugh so loud that a group of high school kids stared at him like he’d suddenly sprouted an extra head.
evil

Then he was off to the planetarium, quickening his step a little to avoid the influx of high schooler girls who were coming into the exhibit.
[Linked Image]

For the next forty minutes, Clark sat in rapt attention as the “Tour Guide” showed everyone a multitude of constellations and pointed out easy ways to find them in the night sky,
Very important for navigation in the times before GPS became a readily available accessories for airborne super heros.

If I was sent here on purpose…why?
That’s easy. Krypton has sent out hundreds of babies to inhabited worlds. Those you are not killed outright by the natives are a good indicator if the world can be considered fit for takeover.

“Excuse me,” a girl said, coming up alongside of him, to his right.
[Linked Image]

“Uh…” Clark stammered, at a loss. He didn’t want to look like a crazy person in front of this young lady.

Wow! his brain screamed, as he looked at her.
[Linked Image]

“I was just…looking…at the images,” he lamely added, gesturing limply to the wall where they were displayed.
LOIS: [Linked Image] Of course. Football jock from Hicksville. Probably can’t read enough to find the bathroom.

“You write for the school paper?” Clark asked, intrigued even more, and forgetting, for a moment, what he’d been looking at only a few moments before.
LOIS: Yes. Women can be reporters, too.

She gave him an impish grin. “You don’t seem like the typical meat head football player,” she said, appraising him.
Yeah, he’s more bone headed than meat headed.

“Don’t worry,” he assured her with another small, almost shy smile. “No offense was taken. Sad to say…I know exactly the kind of guy you meant.”
So, they’ve both been to the Neanderthal exhibit on the second floor?

But…look at these two images here. 1965 and 1970. Notice anything odd?”
So, one star’s missing, huh?

“There’s something here. A star maybe. Or a planet.
No, it’s a star all right.

The girl got closer and squinted a little at the image. “Yes…” she said hesitantly.

“It’s not in the one from 1970.”
Yeeees? Stars go boom some times.

She’s in high school.

You’re in college.

She could be underage.

You could be arrested.
Probably should have done a little bit of legal research first, huh? You know, just in case…

Clark felt his heart clench reflexively in fear. He wanted nothing to do with a scientist at that moment. But his companion was moving with all the speed and force of a freight train, and he felt almost helpless as he allowed himself to be dragged along. And maybe, just maybe, he admitted to himself, he was a little curious to see what she was planning.
laugh

Clark looked at the man’s name tag.

Dr. Bernard Klein.
rotflol

But the doctor didn’t take it right away. Instead, he gestured to the blank page opposite her notes. “If you wouldn’t mind giving me your contact information, I can let you both know if I find out anything about what you’ve found today.”
So, Clark’s going to write his contact information in Lois’s notebook with a ball pen? That might easily leave an impression on the next page, too. An indentation that could then be recovered using a pencil…

“Sorry,” he said, with a shake of his head, “I don’t have a phone at school.”
Really? *Realllllly*? wallbash

“By all means,” Lois conceded. “When you need to go, you need to go. It was nice meeting you, Clark.”
So, that’s where he got the idea for lame exuses.

Cute one! One does wonder if he will truly remember 4-5 years later. Or if Lois will. Probably depends on if she will win a prize for her story.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Vicki, just loved your story! Wasn't on the boards much in June or July so I missed this little gem! So glad there was a comment about it yesterday that piqued my interest in reading your story. I'm imagining some sequel like scenarios in my head for your wonderful story although it stands on it's own beautifully! clap

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I wonder how young ‘young’ means. I’m assuming 16-ish? And it’s Clark’s first outing into the big bad world? I wonder what he will find in Metropolis. Aside from feisty local girls, I mean.

Young enough to be unable to rent a car, old enough to make said local girls jailbait. goofy

He’s already in college? Oh boy. This means said earlier mention of a feisty local girl is at least a feisty student body president and possibly has a huge chip on her shoulder in regards to Hicksville football rowdies running amok in her beloved Metropolis

Lois: Hey! I resemble that remark!

He does realize that in the Big City, they call it stalking if he trails after an 18 y/o high school student all day, right?

Rachel Harris: We call it the same thing in Smallville too, you know.
Clark: Oh? Then why did I catch you hanging around the farm so often?
Rachel: Security measures. All those darn cow-tippers and all.
Clark: Um...we didn't actually have any cows...

He does realize that the corn cob museum in the backroom of Maisie’s diner doesn’t count, right?
CLARK: It’s called a ‘museum’, thus it counts.

Perry: Kid's got a point there...

They don’t have that particular exhibit in the Natural History museum?

Unfortunately not one with live demonstrations. smile

I wonder if Clark could read the descriptions when they are entering the room and then use that freshly gained knowledge to impress his teammate?

Clark: Maybe just a little. angel-devil

Very important for navigation in the times before GPS became a readily available accessories for airborne super heros.

Batman: (smirks in a superior way as he types an address into his BatPS system)

That’s easy. Krypton has sent out hundreds of babies to inhabited worlds. Those you are not killed outright by the natives are a good indicator if the world can be considered fit for takeover.

Trask: SEE? I TOLD YOU SO!

LOIS: Of course. Football jock from Hicksville. Probably can’t read enough to find the bathroom.

Good thing the ceremonial vases are all under glass then.

LOIS: Yes. Women can be reporters, too.

Clark: (slips in puddle of his own drool)

(refrains from obvious comment) devil

So, they’ve both been to the Neanderthal exhibit on the second floor?

Lois: I dated the guy front and center in the exhibit.

Yeeees? Stars go boom some times.

Kinda like Clark's young adult hormones.

Really? *Realllllly*?

Actually, things is lame excuse ground zero. wink

Cute one! One does wonder if he will truly remember 4-5 years later. Or if Lois will. Probably depends on if she will win a prize for her story.

Thanks! As always, I leave no door locked. If the muse wants to play with a sequel, she can. AFTER she finishes all the other things she's started. goofy

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Superjan
Vicki, just loved your story! Wasn't on the boards much in June or July so I missed this little gem! So glad there was a comment about it yesterday that piqued my interest in reading your story. I'm imagining some sequel like scenarios in my head for your wonderful story although it stands on it's own beautifully! clap

Thanks, Jan! No worried about not being around the boards. I feel like I've only been around mostly to post this summer, with only a little time to read. But glad you enjoyed the story. A sequel would be fun for sure, but the muse has to finish the current in-progress story before I'll let her do anything else! wink

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Vicki!

Young enough to be unable to rent a car, old enough to make said local girls jailbait.
rotflol

Rachel Harris: We call it the same thing in Smallville too, you know.
Clark: Oh? Then why did I catch you hanging around the farm so often?
Rachel: Security measures. All those darn cow-tippers and all.
Clark: Um...we didn't actually have any cows...
RACHEL: Yes. Exactly. They have recently started to ferry cows in from neighboring towns just to tip them over on your fields.

Batman: (smirks in a superior way as he types an address into his BatPS system)
[Linked Image]

Trask: SEE? I TOLD YOU SO!
[Linked Image]

Good thing the ceremonial vases are all under glass then.
laugh

Clark: (slips in puddle of his own drool)
[Linked Image]

(refrains from obvious comment)
[Linked Image]

Kinda like Clark's young adult hormones.
clap

Thanks! As always, I leave no door locked. If the muse wants to play with a sequel, she can. AFTER she finishes all the other things she's started.
rotflol Always good to set boundaries for the little ones, huh?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard