[Linked Image] Delusions of Grandeur
Folc4evernaday
Teaser

A/N: It was all Feli’s fault! She wrote this incredibly twisted snippet of “Nobody” in response to Queenie’s Mental Hospital challenge and my muse decided to take its own twist on the challenge to get Clark out of the nefarious situation he had been put in. If you haven’t read the fic you should. You can find the link here.

Teaser

Tick Tock

Tick Tock.

The wave of nausea subsided once more as the greenish hue that ran through the room faded away. Another hour and it would be the same thing. It was always the same thing.

The nauseating pain.

The cold sweats.

It was all the same.

It was always the same.

“Clark?”

He looked up and saw the brunette staring back at him. His face scrunched up, staring at the familiar face. He stared up at the walls once more, trying to manifest some sign of his powers.

“Are you having another episode?”

His head jerked back, staring at the brunette with an icy tone, “I’m not crazy.”

“Clark,” She tried to soothe.

His vision began to clear and the face came into focus. A familiar smirk crossed his face, “You cut your hair.”

“Yeah, well, a lot of things have changed.” She said with a shrug.

“Yeah, I’ll bet.” He replied bitterly.

“So?” She looked at him expectantly.

“So what?” He asked, looking at her in disbelief.

“When were you going to tell me?”

“Tell you wh...at?” Clark asked, feeling a painful wave of nausea hit him once more.

“How did you end up here?” She snapped angrily, looking around the room in disbelief, “Clark?”

The door opened and she jumped back startled. “What’s going on here? This patient hasn’t been authorized to have visitors.” The orderly looked back at him, shaking his head. “Still causing trouble, eh, Superman?”

“Hey, get your hands off of me!” She yelled as the orderly forced her out of the room.

He stood up to try and stop the orderly from manhandling her but found himself too weak to do anything. Every fiber of his being was shouting for him to do something. This was his only shot. His only chance. He had to tell her.

“Lois, wait!”

A hard blow came from behind him and darkness overtook him.

Lex took a puff from his cigar as he stared at the screen in front of him. A satisfied smirk spread across his face before he turned to the man standing next to him. "I see our research panned out. The new wing of LexCorp's Science Division is well worth the money already." A dark expression crossed his face, "Now all that's left is to track her down."

"I'm still not sure about this obsession you have with Lois Lane," Nigel St. John warned.

"She's the key to his undoing," Lex breathed, looking at the screen and allowing a grin to spread to his eyes as he watched once more as the beam of light green crossed over the room. In the corner Clark Kent sat cradling his head, rocking back and forth, staring at the door that was sealed shut.

Three Months Ago…

<<“I have been in love with you for a long time. You had to have known.”>>

<<“Goodbye, Lois.”>>

<<“If that’s what you want Lois then fine get in bed with the devil!”>>

<<“Where are you going? Get back here!”

“Stop! Get out of my way, Lex!”>>

<<“Goodbye, Lois.”>>

Lois stared at her reflection in the mirror. Her face was stained with tears from where she’d been crying earlier. Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail and the baseball cap she wore covered her face enough to hide the bruises.

It had been five hours since her confrontation with Lex. Five hours since her entire world had come crashing down around her because she dared to tell the most powerful man in Metropolis ‘no.’

‘Bastard,’ she thought to herself, feeling the swollen redness around her skin from where she’d been struck.

<<“I have been in love with you for a long time…you had to have known.”>>

<<“Goodbye, Lois.”>>

<<“Goodbye? We’re partners!”

“You don’t need a partner, Lois. You never did.”

“Maybe not, but I was starting to like having one.”>>

<<“Goodbye, Lois.”>>

<<“What?”

“I..I can’t. I’m sorry.”>>

To think she’d actually been concerned about his feelings when she had readied herself to tell Lex it was over. She couldn’t do it. She couldn’t go through with it. She couldn’t imagine a life with that....

‘Vermin,’ her mind supplied for her as she grabbed the last of her bags, staring in the reflection at her newly colored locks.

“You ready, miss?” the sound came from the corner where the agent in charge of her relocation was standing, holding the door open for her.

“Ready,” she said, readjusting the strap to her bag on her shoulder and making her way toward him. “Just get me out of here.”

“What about this?” One of the officers held up the hanger where her wedding dress hung, never worn.

Lois let out a dismal grunt and muttered, “Burn it for all I care.”

<<“But that would have to mean that I found you…Clark, you were sprayed. How come you didn’t fall for me?”

“I guess I’m just not attracted to you, Lois.”

“Liar! You are so attracted to me.”>>

<<“Goodbye, Lois.”>>

<<“You think I wouldn’t have a contingency plan, hmm? Your precious Superman? Gone. Your partner? Gone. Your career? You won’t be able to show your face anywhere without me knowing. I’ll make sure you never so much as edit a note on a post-it. You never should have crossed me.”>>

<<“Clark, whether or not that memory of yours comes back, I just want you to know I think you’re terrific.”

“Likewise,”

“I mean, I love you…like a brother.” >>

<<“You’re mine!”

“I don’t belong to anyone, Lex!”

“I will not be made a fool of!”

“Go to hell!”>>

<<“Goodbye, Lois.”>>

<<“Goodbye, Lois.”>>

<<“What did you do to him? Where is Clark?”>>

<<“I own you. I own this city. No one does anything in this city without me knowing about it.”>>

“Everything’s gone.” Lois let out a shallow breath as the door closed behind her.

The pain appeared to subside as Clark let his head hit the cool cement of the cellar. The green bars disappeared and he saw the golden fields, littered with wheat and grain. The image of his father's face came as he let out a groan.

Was he hallucinating?

"Son?" his father's voice called out to him.

The pain from the past few weeks weighed heavily on him as he stared back at his father's weary face. "You were right dad. I never should have done it. I never should have created him."

"Created who?"

"Superman."

"If you're not Superman then who are you?"

"I'm just me," he responded in a defeated tone. "Clark Kent. That's all I've ever been."

A hard blow came to his face and he looked up. The golden fields were gone. In their place were the green glowing bars and hovering over him was none other than Lex Luthor.

Panic flashed through his mind. 'What have I done?'

The red-haired beauty ran a hand through her hair, fingering the strands as she stared at her reflection through her rear view mirror. She could still see the shadow of the bruise from a few days ago peeking through behind the makeup.

<<“If that’s what you want, then fine! Get in bed with the devil!”>>

<<“What do you mean, missing?”

“We don’t know, darlin. He just up and disappeared.”>>

<<“You’re mine!”

“No!”>>

<<“You think I wouldn’t have a contingency plan, hmm? Your precious Superman? Gone. Your partner? Gone. Your career? You won’t be able to show your face anywhere without me knowing. I’ll make sure you never so much as edit a note on a post-it. You never should have crossed me.”>>

<<“I own you. I own this city. No one does anything in this city without me knowing about it.”>>

“Don’t.” She warned herself, feeling the tears threaten to escape the corners of her eyes. She wanted to give into them so bad. Desperately. She couldn’t afford to break down. She couldn’t lose her edge. He needed her. She knew without a shadow of a doubt he was out there and she was going to find him and bring him home.

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube