Ten minutes and a white-knuckle ride later, the cab came to a stop. Clark glanced uneasily out of the dirty windows. He wasn’t afraid of the rough neighborhood. He knew he could hold his own – even without the use of his powers – if it came to it. And he knew that it might. Shifty looking teens and adults walked down the streets. A few of them cast scowls at the cab as they went on their way. But Clark was worried about Lois. Logically, he knew she’d covered more than her fair share of stories that had led her to the bowels of Hobb’s Bay. He knew also that she had a brown belt in self defense and that she was more than capable of flattening anyone who might even think of mugging them.

But he never ceased to worry for her safety anyway. It was ingrained in him. He loved her too much to even entertain the notion of putting her in a potentially dangerous situation. But he also knew that Lois was stubborn and that she’d never allow Clark’s apprehension to dictate what she did or did not do. She was too fiercely independent, which, as much as it could unnerve Clark sometimes, also endeared her all the more to him. She was his equal and his better in every way.

“This looks like the place Randy described to me,” Clark said as the taxi pulled up alongside the dilapidated building on the corner of LaSalle and Stanley.

He looked at the worn brick and the fading paint and his heart felt a stab of pity for the people who lived in the area. It reeked of poorness and broken dreams – as if the majority of the populace had simply given up on life. Broken glass littered the cracked sidewalks. Trash bins were overflowing onto the ground. A few unkempt youths in tattered clothing skulked around smoking cigarettes when they otherwise should have been in school.

He closed his eyes and sighed. He knew how hopeless these people probably felt. He’d been in their worn-out shoes before. He only wished he could do something to help them all.

Start small, his father’s voice whispered at him. Change one life at a time.

That’s not good enough, he thought back. There has to be more I can do – with or without Superman.

You’ve already done so much. This time, he heard his mother’s gentle voice. Your investigations have already helped to improve the area. Crime rates have dropped nearly fifteen percent in Hobb’s Bay since you and Lois were paired up at the paper. And since the Superman Foundation was started, people here have more access to food at the soup kitchens and cleaner, safer shelters to turn to in their need.

“You ready for this?” he asked Lois, in an effort to make his internal dialogue stop.

“More than ready,” she replied, looking eager as ever.

“Thanks for the ride,” Clark told the cabbie as he opened his wallet and fished out a few bills – more than enough to cover the fare and give the man a generous tip to boot.

”No, thank you,” the driver said, eyeing the cash as Clark handed it to him.

“Let’s do this,” Clark said to Lois.

They got out of their respective doors, each of them grabbing bags of groceries. They shut the doors once they were out and immediately the cab pulled away from the curb, leaving them behind. Clark turned to face the building and sent up a silent prayer that they would actually find Jack.

“After you,” Lois encouraged after half a minute.

“Stay close. People in situations like this can sometimes be unpredictable. I doubt he’ll try to hurt us or anything but…you never know,” Clark cautioned.

Lois nodded. “I know. This isn’t my first time in Hobb’s Bay you know,” she teased him lightly.

He felt his cheeks redden. “Sorry,” he apologized. “I’m still working on the whole ‘not being so overly protective’ thing, I guess. But…I can’t help worrying about you.”

“I know,” she said, reaching up on the tips of her toes to kiss his cheek lightly. “And, actually, it’s kind of nice to know you care so much. In a lot of ways, I’m still getting used to having someone worry about me. I’ve been on my own for so long, I guess part of me forgot what it’s like, to have someone be so concerned for my safety.”

“I’m sure your sister and your parents care,” Clark gently countered with a smile.

“They don’t count. They’re family,” Lois said with an amused shake of her head. “I meant having a best friend and partner and boyfriend who cares about me.”

“Ah,” Clark said with exaggeration, as if just now seeing what she meant. “An important distinction.”

Lois shook her head again at his antics. “Come on,” she said, hefty the bags in her hand. “Let’s check the place out. I may be able to handle myself, but I’m not dumb enough to be blind to the fact that this food might make us targets.”

Clark nodded. “Stay behind me, just in case.”

Mutely, Lois nodded and followed behind as Clark cautiously approached the door. He heard Lois struggling for a moment with her bags of groceries and once again he felt guilty. If Lois knew about his secret, he wouldn’t have to hide his strength from her anymore. He could easily scoop up all of the packages in her laden arms and carry them himself, instead of pretending to be so much weaker than he was. He could do so much more for Lois, if he didn’t have to hide who he really was. Resolve grew in his heart, making him more determined than ever to sit down with her and finally reveal everything he’d kept secret from her.

On the next street over, he heard the screech of airbrakes as a bus stopped to pick up new riders. An old motorcycle backfired as it started up. A dozen or so dogs in the area yipped and howled mournfully, as if they too, shared the misery than was their masters’ lives.

Reaching the door at last, Clark looked around for a moment, sizing up the situation. Then he bent down and put his bags or groceries down on the concrete ground. Straightening again, he knocked gently on the door, then listened. Even without his super hearing, he could hear movement within. But the door did not open. He slipped his glasses down his nose just enough to x-ray through the door. A rusty chain held the door firmly locked. Beyond that, he could see a boy approach, a scuffed and nicked wooden baseball bat gripped in his hands, ready to deal a blow to the intruder if the need arose.

“Jack?” Clark called out, pushing his glasses back into place.

“Go away!” came the sneering, angry retort.

“Please, Jack, we just want to talk to you,” Clark said in a soothing tone, trying to gain the kid’s trust. “I promise. We just want to talk,” he stressed.

“Maybe I’m not in the mood for talking,” Jack said in a flinty tone.

“It’s important,” Clark said gently.

“Important for you maybe. I guarantee you that, whatever it is, it’s of no concern to me.”

“You’re right,” Clark agreed. “It is important to us that we talk to you. But, I promise, we can make it worth your while.”

The doorknob turned and the door opened just enough to reveal half of a teenage boy’s face. Clark could see that the rusty chain lock was still firmly in place, lest he and Lois try to barge in. Silently, the boy looked Clark up and down.

“Who are you? What do you want?” the boy demanded, rolling his eyes. He looked past Clark and eyed Lois. “And who’s the chick?”

“My name is Clark Kent. And this is my partner, Lois Lane,” Clark introduced them.

Jack moved to slam the door shut again. Clark saw his intention and with only slightly faster than human reflexes, he grabbed the edge of the door and held it firm, preventing it from being shut again. The kid scowled angrily and tried to pry Clark’s hand from the door, but Clark’s grip was steel and he didn’t budge.

“Please, just hear us out,” Clark asked almost pleadingly.

The boy’s face hardened into a frown as he cut Clark off. “You cops?” he asked brusquely.

Clark shook his head. “Reporters. From The Daily Planet.” He reached into his pocket, extracted his wallet, and showed Jack his press pass, all at a distance so the teen wouldn’t get any ideas about trying to rob him.

“Reporters?” Jack scoffed. “Why would a couple of reporters want to talk to me?”

“Word on the street is, you have a videotape that a lot of people want to get their hands on,” Clark said, gambling with cutting straight to the chase.

“And why would I bother helping you?” Jack asked flatly. His eyes flickered nervously between Lois and Clark, despite his attempt to keep a hard edge to his appearance.

“We think it might help us prove who ordered the bombing of our newspaper building six months ago,” Lois replied gently.

Jack rolled his eyes in annoyance. “That’s your problem, lady. Not mine.”

“We know,” Clark said, rushing to cut off any retort Lois might be tempted to make. “But we’re willing to help you in return,” Clark offered evenly.

“Your help?” Jack asked with a near-sneer. “Look, I don’t need your charity, okay? I’m doing fine on my own.”

“Really now?” Lois muttered under her breath so softly that Clark could only catch it with his super hearing.

“Besides,” Jack went on, “if so many people would be willing to pay me for the tape, why would I just hand it over to you, assuming I had it?”

“Because, unlike those other people, we genuinely want to help you,” Clark pressed gently. He bent down and held up his bags for inspection.

“What’s that? A bribe?” Jack asked, but Clark could tell the hard tone was more forced now as interest in the bags took hold.

“No,” Clark said, shaking his head. “When we heard about your situation, we figured you might be hungry, that’s all.”

“That so?” Jack replied suspiciously, though his eyes didn’t stray from the bags.

Lois nodded. “He’s telling you the truth. As soon as we heard about your situation, Clark couldn’t get into the grocery store fast enough to get you something to eat.”

Jack took a long moment eyeing the bags before him. Then he allowed his gaze to shift back over to Lois, who also held her bags up for Jack to see. Clark could see the indecision written on the teenager’s face. But before he could argue his point further, he heard another voice.

“Jack? Who are you talking to?” The question was followed by a harsh cough.

“Never mind, Denny. Go lay back down, okay?” Jack said softly. “It’s okay.”

“Come on, Jack! All I’ve been doing is laying down! I’m hungry. You said you were gonna bring back some food.” The younger boy coughed again.

Jack looked over his shoulder at his younger brother, then back at the food Clark held. With a look of self-loathing, he rolled his eyes. The door shut and Clark heard the scrape of the chain lock being drawn back. Then the door opened again. Jack stepped aside, letting them pass inside.

“Fine,” he told Clark. “Bring in the food, and we can talk.”

“Deal,” Clark said with a nod.

“Well, don’t just stand there. Come in,” the kid said, looking around outside nervously. “Quickly. This ain’t the best neighborhood, you know. And you two look like targets ripe for the picking.”

“We know,” Clark said, sweeping his eyes over the ramshackle conditions Jack and his brother were living in.

As Clark’s sharp eyes took in all the details in one super-fast glance, his heart broke anew. He couldn’t help but to recall the moldering cabin in the woods he’d stumbled upon during his first winter living on his own. He’d holed up in that abandoned little cabin for the entire winter, which had been wild with snow storms. His own little fortress of solitude, as he’d come to think of the place. But even that cabin, half falling apart as it had been, had been a virtual palace compared to what Jack and Denny were living in.

It wasn’t even a proper house. It had probably been an office once, long ago during more prosperous days. There was no kitchen at all. There were no bedrooms. It was just one basic room that seemed to serve as a bedroom, living room, kitchen and dining space. One grimy window in the center of the back wall provided a hazy film of light. Broken Venetian blinds hung down to the window sill, though the slats were open enough to light the small room. The door was dented and the paint on the walls were chipped badly. The chain on the door was rusted over, even though it still appeared to be strong and functional enough for the time being. To Clark’s left, a single door stood, a tiny bathroom beyond. The incessant drip, drip, drip, Clark heard gave evidence to the fact that, through some miracle, the two boys had access to running water.

A hot plate stood in a far corner on a table, which Clark knew would allow the boys to make a few simple hot meals if and when they had the means. A blue plastic plate stood nearby, the remains of some kind of unidentifiable dried food on it. Chili, maybe, Clark thought to himself. But overall, the room was a tidy enough space – which he found impressive, given how messy he knew boys their ages could be.

“Welcome to our humble abode,” Jack said sarcastically, with a mock bow to match.

Lois and Clark set their bags down on the wobbly wooden table on the far side of the room. Jack immediately got to work inspecting the contents.

“Let’s see what you got,” Jack said as he opened the first bag, pulling out packages of fruits and vegetables. “Huh. Not a bad selection,” Clark heard him murmur to himself a moment later, as he peered into the second and third bags. Then, “Denny, come here. What do you want to eat?”

“I don’t know. A sandwich I guess.”

Jack nodded and got to work fixing a peanut butter sandwich with the bread and jar of peanut butter Clark had provided.

“So, how’d you find me?” he asked as he worked.

“One of our sources told us he’d heard about you,” Lois answered softly. Clark saw she was doing her best not to scare Jack off. “We’re investigating a possible angle on the bombing and he said you might be able to help. Supposedly, you have a tape showing the bomber meeting with Lex Luthor’s manservant.”

Jack took a deep breath and blew it out slowly, as if in heavy thought. Finally, he looked Lois in the eyes. “Yeah, I have the tape.”

Clark heard Lois breathe out a sigh of relief before asking, “Can we have it? Please?”

Jack scoffed. “I didn’t say I’d give it to ya.”

“Please, Jack,” Lois begged. “If we don’t get that tape, Luthor could get away with…”

“I already told ya, that’s your problem,” Jack interrupted. “I ain’t about to stick my neck out for two hack reporters who don’t give a rat’s rear end about me and Denny.”

“That’s not fair!” Lois retorted loudly. Clark could see how deeply the accusation had cut her. “You don’t know the first thing about Clark or me! For your information, Clark was going to give you the food anyway. It was his idea…you have no clue what he’s…” she sputtered, clearly at war with herself over what she could say and what she couldn’t.

“Lois, it’s all right,” Clark said, gently touching her shoulder. He looked Jack square in the eyes. “She’s right though. The food’s yours, regardless of if you give us the tape. We just…we wanted to make sure you were safe.

“Yeah, right,” Jack snorted accusingly. “You’re a terrible liar, you know that?”

“It’s the truth,” Clark said sincerely. “As soon as I heard about your living situation, it didn’t matter to me if you gave us the tape or not. I needed to make sure you were okay.”

Jack eyed him uncertainly. “Why? What’s it to you?”

Clark shifted uncomfortably, trying to decide how much of his own life experience he should share with Jack. He’d only just met the young man and his brother and he wanted to help them. And he knew only too intimately how horrible life on the streets could be. He knew the dangers of being robbed and assaulted. He knew what it was life to fear for his life. And while Jack and Denny seemed to have escaped from that immediate danger, Clark was well acquainted with how swiftly things could change. Just because they were barely scraping by today didn’t mean they would be able to do it again tomorrow.

“Because it matters to me,” Clark finally settled on.

“Yeah, right. Well, we’re doing just fine on our own.” Defiance blazed in the teen’s voice.

“Jack,” Denny whined in a warning tone.

“You hush up,” Jack told his brother, though not unkindly. “I can handle this, Denny.”

“I’m sure you’re doing just fine,” Clark said neutrally, gesturing around the room. “A roof over your heads. Running water,” he said, nodding toward the bathroom. “Food on the table.” He swept his hand in the direction of the groceries he and Lois had brought with them.

“I told you. We can manage,” Jack said, but his façade was beginning to crumble slightly.

“I believe you,” Clark said, his tone unchanged. “So…you’re what? Seventeen?”

“Eighteen in a couple of weeks, yeah,” Jack said cautiously.

“Which means you’re old enough to get a job,” Clark went on. “But without schooling or experience, that might be rough. Especially in this economy. But let’s say someone did hire you. It’d likely be part time. Which means they don’t have to give you many hours or health benefits. Still, you’d be making some money, after taxes and everything. You might be able to keep putting food on the table, maybe afford some new clothing once in a while, things like that. Assuming you only had one job to go to.”

“Get to the point,” Jack said roughly, but his eyes betrayed him. He cast his glance down to the soiled and ripped carpet on the floor and wouldn’t meet Clark’s gaze.

“The point is, there are programs out there that can help you,” Lois put in. “We can help you get set up with everything you could ever need.”

“Oh sure,” Jack said sarcastically. “Sounds great. Denny gets taken into some foster home God-knows-where and I stay out on the streets, simply because of my age. No thanks. Denny’s better off with me.”

Clark shook his head. “That’s not quite what I meant. The Superman Foundation just opened a new halfway house in midtown. You and Denny could stay together in a much safer environment. You’d have access to regular, nutritional meals, hot showers, real beds – everything you could need.”

“Even if I wanted to, you talk like it’s easy. Just pop on over to some office somewhere and poof! Instant ticket to easy street,” Jack said, snapping his fingers. “That’s not how the real world works, Pops. You think I haven’t heard of the place? Everyone around here’s heard of it. And the massive waiting list to get in.”

“We can help with that,” Clark replied, unwavering in his determination to help Jack.

“And I’ve got a bridge to sell you,” Jack sneered.

“No, really,” Clark insisted. “I can make sure there would be room for you and Denny.”

“How? What are you, Superman or something? Because, last I heard, he was the only one with enough clout to influence the waiting list.”

“No,” Clark said carefully, shaking his head. “But I do happen to know Superman, personally. I can talk to him about you and ask him to make sure you both get in. Come on, Jack, think about it. What’s so great about having to constantly look over your shoulder and going to bed hungry half the time? Isn’t it worth giving it a chance? As it stands…your brother’s cough? He needs to be seen by a doctor.”

“Yeah, ‘cause we really have the money for that.”

“I can help you with that too. So can the Foundation, if you give either of us the chance to.”

“What’s the catch?” Jack asked warily, and Clark heard the boy’s stomach growl.

“No catch. The halfway house will help you get on your feet.”

“No catch, seriously?”

“No catch, I swear,” Clark promised. “Give it a chance,” Clark urged. “If nothing else, let me help you get your brother to the doctor to get that cough looked at. Please. Isn’t Denny’s health worth taking a chance and trusting me?”

Jack didn’t answer right away. Instead, he turned looked at his younger brother. Denny met Jack’s gaze and an entire conversation passed between them, without a word being spoken. Clark said nothing, choosing instead to simply watch and wait. He’d learned a long time ago, when Bruce had offered up a room in Wayne Manor to him, that sometimes it was best not to press an issue and, instead, let a person come to a decision at their own pace.

Finally, after a good five minutes of silence, Jack suddenly turned to him, his expression quizzical now, instead of openly hostile.

“Why are you doing this?” he asked, his voice uncertain.

“Because you remind me of someone close to me, who was once in the same situation.”

“Pfft!” Jack laughed a sound of disbelief. “Nice try.”

“I’m serious,” Clark said, his voice firm. “I was younger than you when I lived on the streets.” Too late, he realized he’d slipped up.

Jack’s eyes narrowed in suspicion. “Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold up a sec. Was it someone close to you, or was it you that was homeless?”

Clark closed his eyes and sighed. He’d meant to protect his own story, but now that he’d slipped up, he wouldn’t lie to Jack. He’d worked so hard to gain the teen’s trust. There was no way he would throw that all away now, when he felt so close to convincing Jack to gamble on the halfway house.

“Me,” he admitted sheepishly. “It’s a long story but, the point is, I’ve been where you are. Living on my own. Barely scraping by. Never having enough to eat. Trying to survive in a world that viewed me as less than human and not worth helping or even being concerned about. It’s not a life I’d wish on anyone.”

“You look like you turned out well enough,” Jack said with a shrug.

Clark shook his head. “I got lucky. I met someone who was able to help me get back on my feet. Without him, I’m not sure I ever would have been able to get out of that awful situation. Maybe I can’t do things for you the way he was able to do things for me, but…” He let his voice trail off for a moment. “I just want to give you the chance you need to make a better life for yourself…and your brother.”

Jack looked back to Denny again, as if seeking the younger boy’s permission or approval. Denny gave him the slightest of nods, but he did not speak. This time, when he turned back to Clark, his features spoke of his new resolve and decision.

“Okay, what the hell? Anywhere has to be better than this dump.”

Clark gave a half-smile that was accompanied by a stifled chuckle. “Can’t argue that.”

“Come on,” Jack said, walking away. “I still have to give you that tape.”

The bullpen was eerily quiet, just the barest skeleton crew working. The phones were mostly mute, the fax machine was still, and most of the computers were dark. People spoke in muted tones – nearly whispers in some cases. Warren, the janitor, whistled an upbeat tune as he swept up and emptied trash bins. Even Perry was gone for the night. Clark had overheard him telling Yvette that he was talking his wife to the opera that night.

For once, he liked the subdued atmosphere.

He needed the mental break the quiet bullpen would afford him…or, rather, he hoped it would afford him. His heart still hurt for Jack and Denny. His memories of living on the streets and in that moldering cabin in the woods still flashed across his mind, lancing him with pain and shame. He wished he could forget, just for a few minutes so his mind didn’t seem to weigh so heavily. But that was impossible. He would need to find his solace elsewhere. He would need to find some other well of strength.

He knew exactly where to go for that.

Lois.

He smiled as she came into his view. Her head was down as she looked over a legal pad with notes scrawled on it. But as if she sensed his presence in the newsroom, she looked up and favored him with a brilliant smile.

“Hey, Lois,” Clark said wearily as he approached her desk, though he already felt a little restored by her smile. “Sorry I took so long. But, I brought food from Rino’s as my penance,” he joked gently.

“And all is forgiven,” Lois decreed with a smile. “Thanks for getting the food.”

“My pleasure,” Clark said, dipping his head in acknowledgement. “I just wish it wasn’t so late.” He nodded to the piles of research on her desk. “Conference room?” he suggested.

“You read my mind.”

“After you,” he encouraged her.

He followed her as she made her way to the conference room. It was dark inside, so she flipped the light switch on, then she pulled out two chairs – one at the head of the table and the other to the immediate right of that one. Clark set the bag down and silently began to unpack their dinner. He was stuck, suddenly, with the memory of when he’d first begun working for the Planet and he’d brought Lois authentic Chinese food for their first dinner today. Back then, she’d been resistant to the idea of a partner – let alone a friend.

Now, almost ten months later, they were still partners and had cemented more than just their friendship. They were a true couple, and Clark was ready to propose to her, if he could ever find the time and courage to tell her his secret. And if that secret didn’t destroy their relationship.

“What?” Lois asked in concern, studying his face.

“What’s what?” he asked, confused.

“Just now. You had a smile on your face like you were the happiest man alive, then, suddenly, it disappeared and you looked…scared, almost. What’s going on?” Lois softly explained, still scrutinizing his features.

“Nothing,” Clark said dismissively. “I just…I couldn’t help but remember how we shared our first working dinner together in the conference room.”

“The old conference room,” Lois corrected with a nod as she closed the door to afford them some privacy, though there was really no need with how few people were around.

“Yeah,” Clark agreed with a wince. “Before Luthor hired Joey Bermuda to bomb the building.”

“Ugh,” Lois said in disgust as she took the container of her food at sat at the head of the table. “I can’t wait to see him go down for that.”

“Speaking of,” Clark said as he sat and opened the Styrofoam container that held his meal, “did you get a chance to review the tape Jack gave us?” He could scarcely wait to know what was on the slightly beat up looking VHS tape.

Lois nodded excitedly. “I did. I don’t know how he got it, but he has a clear tape of Nigel and Joey Bermuda meeting. There’s even what might be an exchange of cash. All we can see is Nigel passing Joey an envelope. Joey doesn’t even look in it. Paired with Joey’s recent testimony…I think it’s enough to nail them – all three of them – to the wall.” She was grinning broadly now, her face lit up like the sun. “We did it, Clark. We finally have enough to put Lex Luthor away for the rest of his miserable life. I’ve been doing some research and I think Joey Bermuda is right. I think Lex might be behind a lot of the crime in the city. He’ll pay for what he’s done, not just to the Daily Planet, but to all of Metropolis.”

“That’s great!” he replied, carefully maintaining a low near-whisper. It was hard, keeping his voice down, when he really wanted to shout his excitement from the rooftops.

“I just…part of me still can’t believe it,” Lois went on, her gaze looking far and distant as she became lost in her own thoughts. “I mean…Lex Luthor – a crime boss? I know you’ve always been frank with your misgivings about him. I just never thought…I figured that, yeah, you’ve always had good instincts but that you were probably, well, biased against him. It’s no secret that Bruce and Lex are rivals in the business world.”

“And with me being so close to Bruce, you thought I wanted…to see some kind of evil in Luthor?” Clark asked. There was no accusation in his voice and he grinned, to let her know he wasn’t angry with her assumption.

“That’s not quite how I was going to put it,” Lois smirked. “But, I know how much Bruce means to you, and how willing you are to defend him and take his side on things. I figured that your animosity toward Lex was just a part of that – Lex and Bruce are rivals, so of course you’d choose a side and maybe even judge Lex more harshly than he deserves. I was wrong. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” he said, reaching across the conference table to hold her hand. He rubbed his thumb across her knuckles. “I might have wondered the same thing, in your position. But, unfortunately, my dislike of Luthor has always been a lot more than me just wanting to support the man who saved me from a life on the streets. I’ve always tried to give people the benefit of the doubt. You know that.”

“Mmm-hmm,” Lois agreed with a tiny nod.

“But with Luthor?” He sighed and frowned. “Instinct took over. I instantly felt like I couldn’t trust him, from the first moment I met him. I’ve always felt like there was something sinister about him, lurking just below the surface where no one could see it. But I could always, always feel it there, even if most people couldn’t. Sometimes, I wondered if I was crazy for feeling that way.”

“Must feel good then, to know your instincts were right,” Lois said gently.

But Clark shook his head. “Not really. I guess it’s good knowing that I’m not completely crazy but…I would have preferred to be wrong and not seen the Planet bombed.”

“I wish I’d taken your mistrust of him more seriously sooner,” Lois replied.

“He’s an excellent showman, if nothing else,” Clark said with a slight shrug.

“Maybe. But part of me was blinded by my own views on him. First, it was the mystery and the intrigue and the thrill of chasing down that first interview with him. I was too wrapped up in wanting to be the first ever reporter to do an expose on him. Then, after he agreed to let me interview him after the White Orchid Ball…I was too giddy with having achieved my goal to see what might have otherwise been red flags, right before my eyes. I was too self-congratulatory to stop and wonder if you might be right about him. Maybe if I hadn’t…maybe I could have seen the attack on the paper coming.”

She wouldn’t meet Clark’s gaze and he heard the self-pity and blame in her voice. Though her eyes were dry, he could see the inner tears her mind was shedding. It broke his heart.

“Lois, listen to me. Not a single one of us could have seen the attack coming. I didn’t…and I’ve known Luthor for years,” he assured her. “Things happen. No one was hurt or killed. The building suffered only minor damage, compared to what it could have been.”

“Because of Superman,” Lois interrupted, her voice shaky with concealed tears. “If it hadn’t have been for him…”

Clark cut her off. “Ok, sure, he made a difference in how that day played out. But my point is, there is nothing you could have done differently. Even if you’d suspected his darker side, none of us even knew Mr. Stern was thinking of selling. We couldn’t have prevented any of what took place.”

Lois sighed and appeared to mull it over. Then she gave his hand a little squeeze. In a moment, resolve came over her features and she gave him a tiny smile, accompanied with an even more minute nod.

“You’re right,” she finally admitted. “What matters is…we have him. Hook, line, and sinker.”

“We have him,” Clark agreed, hoping it was true and the video would be enough.

“Perry is going to flip out when we tell him,” Lois said thoughtfully as she took a bite of her rigatoni a la vodka.

“So will Henderson and the DA,” Clark laughed.

“We’ll be heroes,” Lois mused with a smile
Clark shook his head, though he was smiling as well. “I don’t want to be a hero, Lois. I just want to see justice served.”

Lois nodded mutely as a companionable silence fell between them. Each of them focused on their meal; Clark hadn’t even realized how hungry he was until now. But his stomach and mind were at war with one another. As willing to eat as his stomach was, his heart and mind were heavy with everything that had happened in Hobb’s Bay that afternoon, which robbed him of what should have been a healthy appetite. He forced his body to compromise and ate half of the generous portion of shrimp scampi before losing interest in eating. Lois noticed as she tore into the hunk of warm Italian bread that had come with each dinner.

“Not hungry?” she asked, gesturing to his half-eaten food.

“Yes…no…I don’t really know,” he answered honestly. “I just keep thinking about Jack and Denny, that’s all. I’m so glad they listened to us and decided to give the halfway house a try, but…I’m still worried about them.”

“What happened after you left with them? Were you able to get them a spot in the halfway house?” Lois inquired.

“I was. I didn’t even need Superman’s help,” he said with a tiny half-smile. “Turns out the place is doing better than anyone had hoped in getting people back on their feet. Six residents just moved out this morning and they were able to offer Jack and Denny a spot starting tonight.”

“That’s great news!” Lois said, her eyes sparkling with love and pride.

“Yeah, it worked out perfectly,” Clark said with contentment. “I brought them over there myself, after Denny was seen by the doctor. Even Jack looked impressed with the place.”

“So…do you think they’ll really stay there, at the halfway house?” Lois asked, reaching for her cream soda.

Clark pushed his shrimp scampi around the Styrofoam container with his fork. “I hope so. I didn’t like the look of the place they were living in. Probably all sorts of infestations and mold and things there. I got the chance to talk to Jack a bit, when Denny was being checked over by the doctor. The kid is bright, Lois. A little rough around the edges, but if he applies himself – sticks with a job, finishes his schooling – he’s going to accomplish great things someday.”

“A job,” Lois mused. “You think he’ll be able to find one? Like you said when we were at his…I hesitate to call it a house…between his probably incomplete education and the fact that he’s resorted to stealing to get by…” She let her voice trail off.

“I don’t know,” Clark admitted after a moment of thought. “In normal circumstances, I’d guess that his chances would be probably pretty poor. But I’m going to do what I can to give him a leg up on the job hunt.”

“Oh?” Lois asked curiously.

Clark nodded. “Tomorrow I’ll talk to Perry about getting Jack a job here, at the Planet.”

“Are…are you sure that’s a good idea? He’s a bit…abrasive. I don’t know if Perry will tolerate his attitude.”

“Well,” Clark hedged. “You’re right about that. I’d have to talk to Jack about maintaining a respectful tone. But, as for the rest? I’m sure this is the best place for him. Think about it, Lois. He’d be making steady money. We know this is a safe environment for him. And it gives us the ability to keep an eye on him – make sure he stays on the straight and narrow, so to speak. Besides, I got to know him a bit better, while we were waiting for the doctor to see Denny. Once he came to trust me, he started to open up a bit. As much as Jack needs the safety and opportunities the halfway house will afford him, he needs a friend too.”

“And you think he’ll let you befriend him?” Lois asked gently.

“In time…maybe.”

Lois smiled at him tenderly. She reached over and took his hand in her own. “You really are an incredible man, you know that?”

Clark’s smile was more rueful than anything. “I’m really not, Lois. I just…I just want to help, because I can.”

“But that’s exactly what I mean! Most people, in your shoes, would wash their hands of Jack at this point, figuring they already did more than enough – buying food for Jack and Denny, getting them a space at the halfway house, taking them to the doctor. But not you. You’ve done so much for them both and you’re still looking to do more.”

“It doesn’t feel like enough,” Clark said, shaking his head. “I wish…” He sighed and tried again to get the words unstuck from his throat. “I wish I could do what Bruce did for me.”

“I know,” she said in a near whisper as she leaned over and cupped his cheek with her hand.

Clark closed his eyes for a moment, simply basking in the warmth of her palm. Her touch was intoxicating, in a way. He felt his weariness melting away beneath her light caress. He felt his guilt over not being able to do more easing. The vice around his heart loosened a little and he felt the chains squeezing his lungs slip away.

“I’m sorry,” he said at last.

“What for?”

“I didn’t mean to be such a downer,” he explained. “I just wanted a nice meal with you to celebrate getting that tape.”

“It’s okay,” Lois assured him. “I know how much Denny and Jack’s situation affects you. But, can I ask? What did the doctor say? About Denny, I mean. The poor kid looked and sounded so sick.”

“Walking pneumonia,” Clark said sadly. “He’s being treated, and should be feeling better soon.”

“It’s a good thing you convinced Jack to bring him in,” Lois commented in a soft tone.

“Yeah,” Clark agreed. “But it’s scary, how easily that could have been much, much worse.”

“Did you ever have close calls like that?” Lois asked gently after a moment. “Back when you…?” She let her voice trail off, knowing she didn’t need to finish the question.

“No,” Clark said, shaking his head. “I got lucky.”

If you can call Kryptonian genetics lucky, he added in his mind.

“Can I ask?” Lois continued after a few bites of her dinner. “I’ve never pried and you’ve never said why. But after today…I guess it’s been in the back of my mind. When you left the halfway house…”

“I had my reasons. And I promise, I’ll tell you…soon.”

“Soon?” She pursed her lips and squinted a little as she focused on the fact that he wasn’t willing to share right now. Then her face changed as a thought seemed to occur to her. “Does it have anything to do with that important conversation you alluded to earlier?”

He nodded. “Yeah.” He sighed wearily. “I just hope…when that conversation happens…I hope you don’t think less of me. Because when I think about it…I feel like…” He paused, searching for the right words.

“Like?” Lois prompted after almost half a minute.

“Like…I’m not good enough for you.”

Lois’ eyes widened in shock. “How could you not be good enough for me?”

Clark rubbed the back of his neck subconsciously. “It’s hard to explain. But I feel like you deserve so much better than me sometimes. Someone who can always be there for you. Someone without the past that I have. Someone who isn’t terrified of sharing everything with you.”

“You’re…afraid?” Lois asked. “Of what?”

“Of losing you,” Clark replied sincerely. “The thing is…I’ve wanted to tell you about this thing for a long time. But there’s this huge part of me that can’t imagine you…” He cut off abruptly as Lois’ cellphone began to ring.

She glanced at the display and rolled her eyes. “Oh, perfect. It’s my mother.”

“Go on,” Clark encouraged, grateful for the distraction. “Answer it.”

“She can wait,” Lois said dismissively.

Clark gave her a wry smile. “Yeah, right. You know she’ll just call you fifty-two times until you pick up.” As if Ellen Lane could hear him, the ringing stopped only to start right back up again.

Lois frowned and sighed. “You’re right,” she acknowledged. “We can talk after, okay?”

“That’s fine,” Clark said with a dip of his head. “If you’re finished with dinner, I’ll clean up.”

Lois nodded as she picked up her phone. “Hi, Mom,” she half-sighed into the phone. “No, no. I’m still at work. Yeah, late night. Uh-huh. Yeah. No, there’s just this possible lead on a story Clark and I are working on…I really can’t say much about it. No, that’s not it. Right.”

That’s all Clark overheard as he cleaned up their meal, depositing the remainders of their dinners in the garbage pail since it wasn’t enough to save for another meal. Then he left Lois alone in the conference room to talk to Ellen. He made a beeline for the men’s room so that he could wash up and use the facilities. Then he went to his desk. He knew he didn’t have much to do – most of his stories were awaiting interviews – but he figured he could begin to draft some notes on the Planet bombing case.

Luthor!

He should have known!

He still felt incredibly guilty over not having foreseen that Luthor was after the Daily Planet. It didn’t matter to him that there had been no outward signs that the paper was in danger, or that the multibillionaire had been plotting such a dastardly deed. He still felt like he should have done more to prevent the bombing. But he couldn’t change the past, no matter how much he wanted to. At least, he reasoned, no one had been killed in the bombing. He’d been there to save those who’d been trapped – like Lois and Jimmy, his mind sickeningly reminded him. He’d been able to remove the second bomb from the building and prevent it from killing everyone in the area. It had to be enough, he told himself.

And, he reminded himself, even if I can’t change the past, I can change the future. Luthor’s future. Or lack thereof.

He and Lois would make sure Lex Luthor’s future consisted solely of four cinder block walls and maybe an hour a day out in a prison yard, surrounded by fences topped with barbed wire.

It’s over, Luthor, his mind whispered grimly as he turned on his computer and began to type up the notes he and Lois would use for their article once Luthor was arrested.

Half an hour later, Lois emerged from the conference room. Clark was so deeply lost in thought that he jumped a little when she came up behind him and slipped her arms around his neck. She kissed his temple, then simply stayed there hugging him for a minute.

“Are you okay?” he asked, noting how tired she appeared.

“Fine,” she said. “Just…phone calls with mom can be a bit…exhausting.” She let go of his neck then moved to stand before him. She leaned a hip against his desk. “She wanted to remind me about our dinner. Should be a blast.”

“Aww, it’s not so bad, Lois.”

She rolled her eyes again. “Please, tell me you’re joking.”

“Okay, so your mom is a little…intense,” Clark allowed. “Lucy is sweet though. We’ve gotten along well, the few times we’ve met.”

“Yeah, she really likes you,” Lois said, her features brightening in a smile. “I’m lucky to have found you first. Otherwise I think she’d make a move on you.” She chuckled lightly.

“Nah,” Clark said, dismissing the notion with a quick, but restrained, wave of his hand.

“No, really,” Lois insisted.

“Even if she did, she’d not my type. She’s not you, Lois.”

Lois smiled shyly. “Thanks.”

Clark shrugged slightly. “It’s the truth. When I was growing up, especially once I was in Gotham, I always wondered if there was someone out there for me. Someone to take away all the loneliness I’d ever felt. As soon as I met you, I had my answer.” He cleared his throat to change the subject. “So…where are we having dinner with them?”

“Armand’s Steakhouse,” Lois said, taking a sip of her water.

“Nice place,” Clark said with approval. “Who picked it?” he wondered idly.

“I did. Lucy loves it there and it’s been a while since you and I were there last, so I figured it was a perfect choice.”

“Definitely,” Clark agreed.

“Our reservation is for six. I’ll pick you up at five-thirty,” Lois continued.

“Sounds good.”

Lois yawned. “I’m beat. You ready to head out?”

Clark nodded, thrilled that Lois seemed to have forgotten their earlier conversation, and how close he’d been to having to tell her that he was Superman. “Yeah. Let me just save this first.”

“What is it?” She turned around slightly to peer at his computer monitor.

“The end of Lex Luthor’s freedom,” Clark replied darkly.

To Be Continued...

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon