He stared into the large mirror that ran along the wall of the interrogation room. A stranger stared back at him. It felt so weird, not being able to remember anything about himself. Who else had he forgotten?

The door creaked open as the police psychologist returned, accompanied by an inspector and a very lovely brunette. The brunette stepped towards him and gave what she probably thought was a reassuring smile. “Hi, Clark. I'm Lois Lane, your partner.”

His eyebrows rose.

“...At the Planet,” she clarified. “We're reporters.”

Oh.

She fidgeted for a moment, then flicked her eyes back up to his. “How do you feel?”

He frowned, letting himself sink once again into the hard chair at this end of the table. “I'm...not sure,” he said slowly. “Physically all right, I suppose, but...he feels so lost and confused.”

Ms Lane blinked at him. “He? Who's 'he'?”

Dr. McCorkle cleared her throat. “This is that dissociative behavior I was telling you about. Clearly, something has disturbed him to the point where he no longer wishes to be himself. He needs—”

“I know, I know.” Ms Lane sighed. “Patience, understanding, and all that stuff. I guess I can manage having a partner who talks about himself in the third person.” She grabbed him by the elbow, tugging him to his feet. “Come on, Clark; we need to get back to the Planet.”

The Psychologist closed her eyes and shook her head. “You have my card,” she said as Ms Lane pulled him towards the door. “Call me if he hasn't improved by Friday.”

The front door of the lodge slammed open, letting in a gust of wind that stirred the fire in the hearth and threatened to extinguish it. He peeked out from the cocoon of quilts and blankets he'd been bundled in, craning his neck in order to see around the back of the easy chair.

A rather beautiful redhead stormed in, tracking snow with every step, and marched straight up to the front desk. “What is it now, Rene?! I'm not lending you any more money!”

“That is *not* why I called you!” the young man behind the desk protested. “I'll have you know, this job is paying me very well!”

The woman sighed. “Girl troubles again, then?”

“NO!” Rene's face turned redder than the woman's hair. “It's a friend of *yours* actually! That man from your work...Dr. Renaud? Someone found him in the mountains, confused from hypothermia!”

Her eyes widened. “What?!”

Rene beckoned, and they both began walking towards him. “Yes, he had peeled off his clothes and everything! He's more lucid now, but he still doesn't seem to know who he is. It's lucky I was working today!”

She snorted. “It's lucky you're working at all,” she grumbled. They stopped beside his chair, and she bent to look into his face. “Michel?”

“That's you,” Rene supplied, helpfully.

The woman shot Rene a glare before turning her attention back to him. “Michel, how are you feeling?”

He thought about it. “I don't know...okay, I guess? He feels lost...”

She raised an eyebrow at him. “He?”

“See what I mean?” Rene said. “Totally confused.”

She knelt down, folding her arms on the arm of the chair and looking up into his face. “Do you know who I am?”

He shook his head.

“I'm Susanne Soileau.” She paused. “*Dr.* Susanne Soileau. We work together.”

His eyebrows raised. “I'm a doctor?”

“A scientist,” she clarified. “We both have PhD's.”

Rene folded his arms. “The other kind of doctor is on his way as we speak. I'm surprised his memory loss hasn't cleared up by now; he may have suffered some kind of injury.”

Susanne's eyes widened. “An injury...” she whispered. She turned to Rene, a too-large grin suddenly plastered onto her face. “Er, I think it would be best if I simply took him home.”

Rene stared at her. “Are you crazy?!”

She waved a hand dismissively. “Of course not!” She chuckled. “But, you know, people often prefer to see their own physicians about such things; I'm sure his parents know who he would want to call.” Susanne rose and tugged at the quilts, trying to pull him onto his feet. “Just come with me, Michel! Everything will be fine!”

He frowned. “Well, if the doctor is already on his way, shouldn't I—?”

“No!” she snapped. “Er, I mean, your parents are probably so worried about you! We really shouldn't keep them waiting any longer, don't you think?”

“I...guess not...” If he had parents waiting for him, he really didn't want them to worry. Besides, maybe they could help him remember who he was and why he was in those mountains...

TBC...

~•~