Chapter 12:

Clark glided into the party with grace and ease, feeling on top of the world. Blonde model draped appreciatively over his arm, dressed in the latest fashion. The room was abuzz with murmurs as soon as he'd entered it— just the way he'd wanted. He spent a good part of his first twenty minutes there greeting people, making introductions. This was the first really public appearance he'd ever made, and in all honesty, it was going perfectly. All he needed here tonight was to be seen. That, and to be seen with Lex Luthor. But that was more for his own plans. Tonight was all about business and generating gossip.

Tiffani was loving it, working the crowd as much as he was, if that were possible. He knew as well as she did what this sort of publicity could do for her modeling career. Clark was fine with it— he was after all using her as much as she was using him. They both sought attention, and were they certainly getting it. It may have been Luthor's event, but Clark Kent was fast becoming the man of the hour.

Clark was laughing and grinning and talking it up when he finally saw her. His eyes were immediately drawn to her and he felt all the breath leave his chest in a rush.

Lois practically floated into the room, her midnight gown sweeping her along and sweeping up the gazes of over half the men in the room as she went. If Clark didn't know better, he'd think she was the one who could fly. And the way that dark, silky fabric just barely skimmed the smooth, creamy skin of her breasts... His chest tightened with want. She was stunningly beautiful, more so than any other woman in the room— and that included his own date.

"Isn't that right, Clark?"

Clark blinked for several long moments, realizing that he'd been staring at Lois Lane for longer than he'd intended. That woman certainly could get under his skin, had ever since the first moment he'd laid eyes on her. He adjusted his glasses where they sat on his face, and turned back with a smile. "Yes, that is. I'm sorry. Will you excuse me for a moment, gentlemen? And ladies," he smiled with a little eyebrow waggle at Tiffani, who grinned and right back at him and brushed him away.

He grinned and turned away, eager to go find the woman he was most interested in. It took him several moments before he located her, but unfortunately, his progress was halted once again by another man blocking his path.

"Mr. Kent, I'd just like to say once again how thankful and honored I am that you thought of me to invite to this event—"

Clark nodded and smiled, keeping his frustration hidden just beneath the surface. He'd lost her again. "Don't mention it, Jimmy. Just get me some good pictures for the paper, all right? And hey, enjoy yourself." He clapped the kid genially on his shoulder.

"Thanks, Mr. Kent. Oh, and—"

"James! There you are. Did you see—"

Lois' voice and her steps ground to a sudden halt as she caught a glimpse of him. "Oh, uh... Mr. Kent. I, uh, I didn't see you there."

"Lois!" Clark allowed some of his genuine surprise and delight seep into his voice and ignored her obvious discomfort. "Good to see you too. You look absolutely beautiful this evening. It's no wonder so many men have been staring after you."

She appeared flustered, a flush rushing to her cheeks and delightfully spreading across her chest as she floundered for any sort of reply to that. "Uh, thank you, Mr. Kent."

He waved aside the formality, managing to do so without displaying the amount of discomfort the name caused him. "Please. How many times do I have to tell you guys to stop calling me Mr. Kent? Clark or Kent will work just fine."

"Kent, then," Lois corrected herself, barely masking her irritation with him. Clark smiled at that. She had such fire to her.

The three of them stood together in silence for a moment before ultimately Olsen broke the silence. "So, uh, what were you wanting to say earlier?"

That blush came back suddenly, and Lois' eyes darted over to Clark's face so subtly that he might have missed it if he hadn't been watching her carefully. He smiled at her, waiting for her to continue. "Oh, it was nothing really. I was just wondering if you had spotted Lex anywhere yet."

"No, not yet," Jimmy responded. "You'd be more likely to see him first."

Clark thought this would work as a nice segue. "By the by, how is that boyfriend of yours? I was hoping to speak with him at some point tonight."

Lois glared at him suspiciously and snapped. "Why? And secondly, how do you know he's my boyfriend? I never said that to you."

"Oh, Jimmy told me on Wednesday," he said simply.

"Jimmy?" she asked quizzically, glancing at the young photographer with an arched brow. "James, you mean?"

"Jimmy is fine," he quickly spoke up, and Clark chuckled politely. Obviously the young man didn't want Lois to cause any doubt about him in the mind of their boss. God, the man was a kiss-up. "Anyway, I better go get on those pictures," he spoke quickly, ducking out of their company without another word.

And suddenly, in the center of a crowded room full to the brim with strangers, Clark and Lois were left alone together. She smiled tautly at him, the air thick between them for reasons Clark could still hardly wrap his mind around. He didn't know what it was that had him so focused when she was in the room, but it was exhilarating. He shot her a bright grin in an attempt at friendly and hopefully not too overeager. "So, you and Lex Luthor, huh?"

Lois folded her arms stubbornly, unconsciously drawing his attention back down to her chest again. "And is there something wrong with that, Kent?"

Clark's gaze flitted back up to her face. "No. Not at all. He's a lucky man."

She turned away from him and ran her tongue over her teeth. "What's it to you?"

"Nothing. I'm just curious how an investigative reporter winds up dating a man like that."

She scoffed. "What, a billionaire? An older guy?"

"No. You could have whoever you wanted. I just meant someone so... carefully guarded." He let a little of his resentment color his words, and watched as a frown started to crease her brow at his word choice.

The music started to swell, and before they knew it, people were making their way out onto the ballroom floor. Clark offered his hand out to her with a smile. "Care to dance?"

"Not particularly," she shot back quicker than he'd expected, a little bite in her tone.

Clark tamped down his disappointment, trying not to take offense, and merely shrugged as he withdrew his hand. "Maybe later, then, Miss Lane."

Her eyes shot back up to his, and he could see her attraction to him. He willed her to give in for a few moments, just to see what would happen. He knew it would ruin his plans for the night, but it sure would be fun. Maybe he wouldn't have to play this game, maybe he could just skip to the good bits....

The moment was broken as Lois' gaze strayed to something behind him and a look of distaste crossed her features. Clark felt his brow furrow quizzically and he was about to turn to follow her gaze when a hand sidled over his shoulder and his question was answered.

"Clark," Tiffani's high pitched voice spoke his name into his ear. Clark ground his teeth briefly before forcing a smile onto his lips. "Who's this?"

"Tiffani, this is Lois Lane. She works at the Daily Planet. Lois, this is Tiffani."

Lois shot the model a patronizing smile. "Nice to meet you."

"Likewise. Want to dance, Clark?"

He nodded with a grin and wrapped his arm around her waist. "See you later, Miss Lane." And he smoothly turned away and guided his date to the dancefloor.

*****LnC*****

Lois fumed. How dare he come up to her, criticize her choice in men, invite her to dance with him, and then galavant off with some leggy blonde bimbo in the span of five minutes?! It was outrageous! At least he didn't seem all that interested in that Tiffani girl—

She halted her train of thought. What did it matter if he was interested in some blonde model or not? It's not like she had any claim to him. Or that she wanted to. She shook her head and wished for one of those tall servers with the wonderful trays of champagne to cross paths with her sooner rather than later. She had a feeling it was going to be one of those nights-- she'd either need a lot more alcohol or several cigarettes, and Lex wouldn't let her smoke at his party of all places. Not when they'd just gotten through their last little spat. She could be good a little longer, for the sake of her sanity and perhaps their relationship. Why start a fight when there wasn't a point to be made?

At that moment, she finally spotted Lex on his way down the staircase, already talking it up with some suits. She couldn't help but roll her eyes at him and she stormed over to meet him there. She just had to tell him what that jerk had just done. And that said jerk was here making a scene. Then she could let it go and focus on enjoying the night.

Because Lois was not going to allow some lowlife, snobby jerk get under her skin.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain