Chapter 10:

It was the following Wednesday when Clark finally walked back into the Daily Planet. He'd managed to make himself wait a couple of days, in spite of how giddy it made him just to be there. It helped that the transition period was taking a bit of time, what with all the legal documents and agreements he had to sign. But still, a thrill of anticipation ran down his spine. His plan was finally going into action— every day meant he was one day closer to achieving success. To getting revenge.

As the elevator dinged and the doors parted before him, he took in the surroundings of the bullpen with an air of satisfaction. It was so vibrant and full of life, not really like anywhere he'd ever been before. Maybe in another life— one where his father hadn't killed an army man and hadn't been caught and sent to prison, or even killed there— maybe then he would have liked to work in a place like this. News was a fast-paced business, always chasing another story, finding evidence, going on stakeouts— the sort of things he liked to do anyways, in his spare time. But it was a double-edged sword, he knew— which was why he worked so hard to stay out of the news business. The media was his biggest obstacle to date, which made walking down the ramp of the bullpen even more of a thrill than anything else.

Clark bumped into a young man scurrying his way across the bullpen. "Oh! Mr. Kent! I-I am so sorry! I didn't mean to—"

Clark smiled and waved the kid off. "Don't worry about it. I should have been paying better attention. What's your name?"

He watched the kid's eyes go wide nervously. "Uh, James. James Olsen, sir."

Clark outstretched his hand with a grin, looking to set the kid at ease. He shook it nervously, with a bit of awe in his eyes. "James, well, it's good to meet you. Mind if I call you Jim? Or Jimmy?"

"Uh— No, no. Not at all. Is there something I can do for you, Mr. Kent?"

"Oh, not much," Clark said as he turned and started walking, rightly assuming the boy would follow. "I was just going to inform Mr. White that I got some spare tickets for the White Orchid Ball on Friday, and was wondering if anyone on staff would like to go. Good press and all."

He threw a glance back at James, whose eyes seemed to grow impossibly wider. He paused just outside Perry's office, conveniently close to where Lois Lane was currently sitting at her desk, and Clark decided to have a little fun. "Say, what do you do around here? Would you like to go to this thing?"

The newly-dubbed Jimmy stuttered for several moments. "Photographer. I'm a photographer."

"Great! We'll need one of those, I'm sure! I'll make sure Mr. White saves a ticket for you."

Jimmy beamed at him, ecstatic to be finally getting some attention around here. Clark then heard a scoff coming from Lois' desk and turned to follow the sound. He smiled at her only a bit patronizingly as he walked towards her, holding out the tickets tantalizingly. "Miss Lane? Are you hinting for a ticket, too? Because all you need to do is ask."

Lois rolled her eyes. "No, I was not "hinting" for anything. I just found it amusing, that's all."

"Wait a minute," Clark frowned, trying to appear pensive. "You're saying that you don't want to go to one of the most newsworthy events in society this season? What about the whole importance of story and doing your job?"

Lois glared at him intensely, the expression on her face very clearly trying to convey her thoughts of murdering him.

"Miss Lane doesn't need a ticket, she's already going," James jumped in quickly, ever so eager to get a few points in with the boss.

Clark arched an eyebrow, relying heavily on his acting skills to pull off the look of surprise. "Really? Reporter's salary bought that ticket? It's quite a pretty penny you know."

Lois sighed heavily and stood, grabbing her purse in the process. "Actually, I didn't pay. I was invited. Now if you'll excuse me."

She spun on her heel and practically stormed over to the elevator. Clark could see her fingers twitching and watched in curiosity as she pushed the up button on the elevator. Frowning, he tilted his glasses slightly down his face to watch her rummage through her bag, fingers questing for an open pack of cigarettes. That was interesting, Clark noted. He hadn't known that she'd smoked. Instead of pulling out the carton, though, she merely kept her fingers wrapped around it, as though it's presence alone was reassuring. Like a security blanket, he thought.

"Now, how'd she get an invite?" Clark murmured wryly under his breath, knowing exactly how.

"Didn't you know? She's dating Lex Luthor."

Clark gritted his teeth slightly just at hearing the name. He had forgotten that Jimmy was still standing there. He pasted a smile on his face as he turned around to face him. "Really? I had no idea," he lied through his teeth. After a beat, he went on. "Well, then. Is there anyone else in particular I should be giving out a ticket to?"

James shrugged one shoulder and pointed way back behind a long row of cubicles. "You might want to invite Catherine Grant. She's our editor for the society pages, and she also writes a column— Cat's Corner."

Clark followed his gesture and saw the woman in question, hovering over another writer's desk, bearing down on him about some mistake or rather he had made. Clark evaluated her. She had a pretty face, and beautiful long, flowing, auburn locks— the kind he'd certainly want to run his fingers through. But aside from that, she wasn't much to look at. At least, not in her frumpy grey sweater, chunky scarf and loose tan slacks. She looked like she had barely rolled out of bed this morning. But he could imagine her in a fancy dress, getting all dolled up for this event... maybe for him... Perhaps he'd tell Perry to invite her too.

No. She could come if she wanted, or if it was required, but he had to focus. Now wasn't the time for playing games. Besides, if anything, he'd much rather be spending his time with Lois— convincing Lois, stealing Lois from her boyfriend, kissing Lois—

He shook himself. What was the matter with him? How did that cold, distant, beautiful woman get so far under his skin? Maybe a good solid distraction was exactly what he needed.

Clark didn't realize how long he'd been standing there staring into the space where Catherine Grant once was until he heard Jimmy Olsen politely trying to clear his throat. Clark turned back to him, startled, but with a smile. "Thank you, Jimmy. I appreciate all your help." With a dismissive pat on his shoulder, Clark moved past him and strode briskly right into Perry White's office.

The older man nearly jumped out of his skin at the sudden intrusion into his office, and he was about ready to comment when he saw who it was. "Oh- uh, Mr. Kent! I didn't realize you would be coming in today! H-how, er, what can I do for you?"

Clark smiled. "Please, Perry, I wish you'd just call me Clark. Or at least just Kent. I'm not much one for formalities."

Perry smiled back at him wryly. "Kent, then. What brings you here today?"

Clark took a seat with a small sigh of satisfaction. "Well, I happen to have some tickets to the White Orchid Ball this Friday. I heard that Miss Lane is already going, but Jimmy seemed eager to go and I told him he could have one. Also, he recommended Cat Grant."

"Jimmy? Oh, you mean James. Uh, well, yeah, sure. How many tickets you got?"

Clark grinned. "Another two sets. Obviously, you and your wife would go, and then whoever else you would see fit."

"Oh, Alice and I don't need—"

"Nonsense, Perry. I won't take no for an answer."

Perry seemed to consider it for a minute before a slow smile spread across his features. "Well then, it's a deal! Alice will be happier than Frank Sinatra with a bottle of Jack and a handful of Tootsie rolls."

Clark laughed at the man's strange expressions. Perry White was a genuinely nice guy. Clark didn't come across too many of those any more, particularly in his business. He had a feeling they could grow to be good friends, provided he stayed in line and didn't interfere with any of his… extracurriculars.

"Good man. I'll see you then." Clark patted the arms of his chair before rising to his feet once more and exiting Perry's office.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain