Chapter 9

Lex Luthor sat in his desk chair, bored of paperwork. He was supposed to be going over the finalized plans for this year's White Orchid Annual Ball. There were still so many things to do, details to be attended to, not to mention all of the additional planning that went into the upcoming Prometheus launch that he planned on announcing at the party. That was a whole other nightmare of paperwork and negotiations.

But instead, he found himself taking trips down memory lane.

Lex sighed. He always got this way, around this time of year. Once he got the Ball rolling, he was fine. Relatively speaking. But planning for it— for some little party for the who's who of Metropolis— instead of doing anything else? He sighed. It was torture. He should be planning a trip for himself, a visit to the cemetery— heck, in a perfect world, he should've been planning a birthday party.

Lex let that fact wash over him as he ruminated some more. How old would he have been this year? Twenty-three, he decided upon doing the calculations. Twenty-three years old. Unbelievable. It seemed like a lifetime ago— it was a lifetime ago, he realized with a shock. That his son could have grown up, gone through college, and be well-nigh on his own at this point— well, it made his head dizzy. Lex couldn't even picture it— in his mind, he was still and would forever be the same four and a half year old boy he had once been, and not a day older.

His heart constricted with pain. Eighteen years ago almost since he'd lost his son. Little Jaxon.

Lex shook his head, trying to shake himself out of it. Maybe he wouldn't even be around for his birthday this year. After all, if he was turning twenty-three, perhaps his son would be off on his own, traveling the world, with his friends— maybe with a family of his own now. He had gotten Arianna pregnant when he was just twenty himself. And while he knew that was quite a young age, he also knew he wouldn't trade any of it— he had gotten a son for those precious few years, and it had been worth it. Despite all the pain and agony resulting from his loss.

He shook his head once again. He had to stop thinking about it and just power through. That always worked before. No more thoughts about what they had been about to do on their trip, whether they were enjoying their time in Australia or not. No more memories of what the car had looked like afterwards, having been crushed between a jackknifing semi and an SUV in what had to have been the most horrifying accident he'd ever seen. Not to mention the memories of them...

Instantly he recoiled and leaned back in his chair, the images flashing through his mind faster than a speeding bullet. No, he shook his head to clear his thoughts. Now's not the time to think about that, Lex. The ball.

He turned back to the papers on his desk. Right. Next Friday night. He had too much to do and not enough time to do it. Besides, this year wouldn't be any harder than any other. Especially not any harder than that first year. God, was that terrible. Traveling across the country, taking stock of all of his holdings and business nationwide, getting involved in a homicide case in the middle of nowhere and getting stuck testifying at the murder trial.... It was a nightmare— a fuzzy nightmare that he could barely remember the details of because he was so underwater at the time. All he knew were the feelings he'd been drowning in over the loss of his only son.

No, the White Orchid Ball had been the perfect way to memorialize the weekend of his son's birthday. White orchids were Arianna's favorite flowers; she always kept them in the house. Jaxon would always tear off the petals and hide them in different places. Lex smiled and shook his head at the thought of finding the petals in his coat pocket one warm afternoon all those years ago. They were fresh even.

So every year, he'd dress up and play the nice host and stuff the place to the brim with orchids and hope that no one noticed how fake he was being. And every year, it seemed to go well. This year, he had Lois to attend with him. The thought alone lifted his spirits. She had that sort of effect on him. He smiled. He wished that she would see sense and marry him already. They were so good together, they just made sense. He knew she wasn't the lovey-dovey type, and in most circumstances, neither was he. But when it came to Lois Lane, Lex simply couldn't help himself.

She was different. She knew everything about him— his father's abusiveness, his son's death, his spiral into depression and the terrible years that followed... And yet, somehow, she still didn't care, wasn't bothered by any of it. Nor was she put off by his money or his fame. She was grounded in reality, and balanced him out incredibly well. Lois Lane was an incredible creature.

Which reminded him. Lex glanced back down at the papers sitting before him— primarily the guest list. He should throw some tickets to the Ball her way. The Daily Planet always had a presence at the event, but he was feeling generous and since Lois would already be there, he supposed he could forward a few to spare to Perry White and the staff of his choice.

And Clark Kent.

Lex felt his teeth grind a little at seeing the name on the list. He had already made the list of pre-sold tickets. Which was fine— the man could spend a little of his own damn money for a charity event. He wasn't about to throw him a free ticket, not right after he stole the Daily Planet out from under him.

Still, Lex found himself exceedingly curious about Clark Kent. How did someone so wealthy and powerful remain out of sight for so long? If he wasn't so jealous of him, Lex would ask the man himself. This was a strange move for him. It didn't make sense that he would give up all of his anonymity for a simple newspaper. There had to be something bigger going on here.

The phone on his desk rang, jolting Lex from his thoughts as he smoothly picked it up. "Yes?"

"Hey."

Just the sound of Lois Lane's smooth voice drifting over the phone lines made the knot that had been in his shoulders loosen. "Lois, darling! How are you?"

She paused for a few moments. "Fine. A lot's been going on. I was just... I was calling to talk to you. About our little— you know."

Lex was just relieved to hear from her. It had been a couple of days since they'd spoken. "Our disagreement?" He filled in for her.

"Lex," he could hear the exasperation in her voice already. "I don't want to rehash it—"

"Say no more, my dear. It's forgotten. I'm just glad to hear from you."

"Yeah, well... I was hoping we could meet for dinner tonight."

"Sure. I can get us reservations somewhere. What do you feel like?"

"Italian might be nice," she spoke slowly. "And then we can come back to my place for dessert, maybe? Lucy's not going to be there tonight."

Lex grinned. "Now, Lois. You're not trying to poison me, are you? Because if so, I'll have you know that I wouldn't dare try anything you make for me anyways—"

"Lex! No!" She pretended to be outraged, but he could hear her grin even through the phone. "And I'll have you know that if there's one thing I can cook, it's chocolate desserts."

"In that case, I'm afraid I must try them after all. You know how tempting your chocolate souffle is to me."

Lois' light laughter was a delight to his ears, and it bolstered his spirits. They were going to be okay still. It was just a fight, not an end to their relationship.

"Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of a different sort of dessert...."

Her suggestive tone made his blood go hot. "By all means, I'll make the dinner reservations. But fair warning, I'm going to want a lot of dessert."

"Lex! I'm at work still!"

He laughed, leaning back into his chair. "How has your day been going, by the way?"

"It's been... strange. I don't know what to think of it. You know how I told you about the Planet maybe going under? The new owner came in today."

Just as quickly as Lois had brought his spirits up, they crashed back down again. Lex straightened in his chair. "Oh, really? Who is it?"

"Clark Kent? From CK Enterprises."

"Well, that's good. That the Planet is saved, I mean," Lex spouted dutifully, keeping as much malice as he could out of his voice.

"Yeah... It's just weird. He came out of hiding, for this? A newspaper? Don't you think that's strange?"

"It is strange," Lex agreed. He was happy to hear her mind wandering down the same path as his, but he didn't know how much longer he could stay on the topic. Thankfully, he didn't have to worry about it.

"Anyway, I've got to get back to work, and I'm sure you've got to get back to procrastinating about that Ball of yours—"

"I was not!"

Lois laughed. "I'll let you go. Bye."

"I'll pick you up at seven for dinner."

Lois agreed, then hung up. Lex smiled as he put down his own receiver. She was right; he was procrastinating. Taking a deep breath, Lex settled in his seat and got down to business, pushing all thoughts of the elusive Clark Kent out of his mind.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain