Rules of the Game
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 2

Diana Stride sat in her luxury apartment, looking out the moonlit sky. She turned to Rolf who was sitting next to her, pouring a glass of chardonnay for her. “Maybe he works there as someone else?”

“Ah, your secret identity theory.” Rolf reasoned aloud, taking a sip from his glass. The bulb on the lamp next to him flickered twice. She tensed and he tapped at the lamp. “Must be the bulb.”

“ I'll get it. You go on home.” She said quickly, trying to distract him.

“But…” He looked at her with a knowing look. “I mean, aren’t we…” His eyes motioned toward the bedroom.

“Not tonight.” She said smoothly, “I want to be alone.”

He looked torn for a minute and then nodded, seeming to accept defeat and gathered his things to leave. She waited for the door to close then grabbed a remote on the television stand and typed in a code. The monitor zapped on and Mr. Darryl, her supervisor at Intergang appeared.

“Hello, Diana. You’re looking well.”

“I’m assuming you’ve got a location for me now?” She asked, sipping her chardonnay.

“Well, your orchestrating the leak of Disanto’s testimony went a long way in getting the phone lines buzzing. Everyone wants to tell their story to get their name in the papers. Every reporter wants the story.”

“Of course,” She grinned. “It’s the story of the century.”

“We have a report of a highly protected campground just out of town. There’s been a lot of movement by military personnel at the local diner. Waitress’ name is Kelli with an ‘i.’ She’s cooperating fully with our team.”

“And in return?” Diana pressed.

“Her daughter gets to make it to school every day in one piece.”

“You’re a monster.” Diana sniffed.

“Just do your job.” Darryl chided. “We’ll talk soon.”

Lois set her things down on the couch, breathing a sigh of relief. She hadn’t seen Clark since this morning and was avoiding Perry like the plague so she didn’t have to come up with a lame excuse. After her lunch with Mayson she made a detour to her apartment to try and see what she could find out, calling a few sources around town. Her apartment was eerily quiet compared to what it had been the night before. She poked her head in the guest bedroom and noticed the bed had been made and fresh towels were in the linen closet. ‘Well, there’s one good thing about them being here.’ she thought to herself.

She heard a knock at the window and smiled, spotting Clark floating outside her window. She reached for the latch to let him in. “Hi,” He looked around the apartment and she shook her head, “No one’s here. Lucy had class and mom is nowhere to be found. Hopefully, she’s talking with the building owner to find out what the story is with her condo.”

He quickly spun back into his suit from earlier, readjusting his glasses as he followed her to the couch. “Unfortunately, I’ve got some bad news on that front.”

“Oh, no.” Lois whimpered.

“There’s extensive smoke damage to all the buildings. They probably won’t be able to move the tenants back in for at least six weeks.” He explained, rubbing the back of his neck as he spoke.

“Oh, no, I can’t do this. She’ll drive me insane.” Lois hissed. “I left for college a semester early just to get away. Six weeks?”

“The building manager is paying for everyone to be put into a hotel for now but as you know there are no rooms right now.” He gave her a sympathetic smile.

“Great,” Lois grumbled. “Think your parents would mind an extra guest?” She joked. “Maybe they can distract her from digging into mine and Lucy’s personal lives with a scalpel.”

He let out a soft chuckle, “I’m sure it won’t be that bad.”

“Do you remember Christmas Eve?” She looked at him in disbelief. “Imagine that without anyone to distract her.”

“I seem to remember you having a few too many glasses of champagne.” He grinned at her, “And her grabbing me by the coat and telling me to get you out of there before you embarrassed her and yourself any further.” His eyes twinkled at her.

“I was not embarrassing her.” She sniffed.

“You compared her guests to leeches in a very loud ….very drunk voice.” He laughed. “I think that qualifies as embarrassing.”

“I was... illustrating a point.” She countered, fighting the smile that was threatening to spread on her face.

“So, how long did it take you two to start talking again?” He asked, placing an arm around her shoulders.

“Um, I don’t know. We just didn’t really bring it up. She called when the story about Lex broke and that was it.” She said with a wry expression. “Was I really that loud?” She cringed.

“Mmm, hmm,” He shook his head with a grin.

“Oh, God…” Lois groaned, recalling in vivid detail the Christmas party.

Christmas Eve…

“Lois, for the last time. Quit slouching.” Ellen chastised, walking up to Lois as she directed the waiter to pick up the discarded glasses in front of her.

“Would you cut it out?” Lois huffed irritably, standing to her feet a little too fast. “Whoa.”

“Cut it out?” Her mother echoed in a harsh tone.

“Yes, chill!” She said lazily. “Why are you always so tense all the time? Why must everything be perfect every second of everyday? Guess what, life isn’t perfect.” She glanced toward the crowded dining room, seeing most of the crowd had already left. Another successful dinner party. Another waste of time.

“I think you need to slow down.” Ellen gave her a disapproving look, picking up one of the champagne glasses from the side table. “You of all people should know better than to allow yourself to…”

“What? Have a good time?” Lois snorted. “Sorry if my idea of having a good time isn’t sitting around making small talk with people that smell like they took a bath in Chanel Number Five. Those leeches couldn’t care less about how much you spent on your precious party.”

“Lois Joanne Lane…”

“Oh, she used my whole name.” Lois giggled, holding her hand to her mouth. “I must be in trouble now. You know if you would just lighten up you might actually have friends that don’t require you drop a grand on dinner for them.” She snickered, “I mean, how long did it take Gertrude what’s her name to fly out of here?”

“She had an appointment and you are making a scene.” Ellen snapped angrily.

“Right, a scene. We wouldn’t want to do that. Can’t make a scene in public and prick the precious image of the perfect Lanes.”

“Sit down!” Ellen ordered, grabbing her by the arm and trying to force her to sit down.

“No. You sit down.” Lois said irritably. “Don’t you get tired of it? It’s been twelve years and you still play the part of the doctor’s wife. Dad’s gone. He left us, remember? You don’t have to impress the country club or some muckety muck at the hospital. Or throw these God awful parties with people you and I know you secretly hate.”

“That is enough!” Ellen growled angrily, storming out of the room. “I don’t have to take this from you.”

“You never do.” She mumbled quietly. A moment later she felt a tap on her shoulder and looked up to see Clark standing with a disapproving expression on his face.

“Lois?” His eyes looked at her in concern. “Are you okay?”

“I want to go home.” She said, allowing him to help her to her feet.

“I think that’s best.” Her mother said from the corner of the room. “Make sure she makes it home okay.” She turned and saw Lucy standing by the door with her coat.

Present Day…

“I was horrible,” Lois grumbled aloud, more to herself than anyone.

“You were ...not yourself.” He said with a humorous expression.

“When I was a kid I hated those things,” Lois said, leaning her head against his shoulder. “A bunch of fake people trying to impress everyone with how much they could ruin someone else gabbing on and on about how people’s marriage or family was falling apart...failed business. I hated them. Most of all I hated the fact that mom just sat there and smiled knowing full well they were talking about the things my dad had done to her.”

“I’m sorry,” He tightened his arm around her. “I can’t imagine what you had to go through when your family started falling apart.” He turned to cup her cheek, “ It must've been really painful for you.”

She could feel the sense of dread on the back of her neck. Talking about her father leaving and the pain that came with it was hard. Normally this was the part where she’d try and deflect by making a joke or changing the subject. Normally it worked, but seeing the concern and vulnerability in Clark’s eyes she knew she couldn’t do that. She trusted him completely...even with her more painful memories.

She let out a sigh, leaning against him, “ You know... When my father left… I thought it was because of me. Then I realized it's just the way people are. They make the deepest commitments to each other... have children, even... And just walk away from it all.”

“Lois, not everyone walks away.” He reminded her, tilting her chin to look at him.

“I hope not.” She whispered, running a hand across his cheek.

“No way.” He murmured, leaning in to kiss her.

The front door opened, slamming against the chain, “Lois?” She heard her mother’s voice on the other side.

“I’m sorry.” Lois frowned, pulling away. “Hold that thought.” She got up to answer the door, “Just a sec,” She removed the chain from the door and opened it. Her mother was holding a bag of groceries in her hand with an annoyed expression on her face. “Uh, what is all this?”

“I noticed you didn’t have any groceries, so I went and picked up some things.” Her mom noticed Clark, approaching. “Hi, Clark,”

“Hi, here let me take that,” He took the bag from her and carried it to the kitchen.

“You won’t believe the lines down at CostMart. Insanity.” Ellen rambled taking a seat on the chair next to the couch. She noticed the crushed device Clark had laid on the table and picked it up, examining it. “What is this?”

“It’s something I need to take to STAR Labs later,” Lois said, eying Clark who was still rubbing his neck profusely. Recalling her mother’s days as a nurse, she asked, “Hey mom how do you get super glue out?”

“Nail polish remover,” Ellen said nonchalantly. “Acetone based. It softens the cyanoacrylate in it.” She looked up at her curiously. “Why?”

“Oh, no reason,” Lois said with a shrug. “Just curious.”

“Uh-huh,” Ellen gave her a look of disbelief. “All the tenants are supposed to meet the building owner in half an hour to find out what the verdict is. Hopefully, I’ll have somewhat of an idea by this afternoon on how long I’ll be out on the streets.”

“Mother, you’re not on the streets.” Lois countered.

“It certainly feels like it. Look at me, sleeping on my daughter’s couch…”

“Spare bedroom.” Lois corrected, seeing Clark motion to her and mouth ‘nail polish remover’ to her, pointing to the bedroom. She gave a quiet nod and turned back to her mother.

“As if that’s any different.” Ellen sniffed, crossing her arms over her chest. “I paid good money for that condo, and now I can’t even enjoy it.”

“I’m sorry,” Lois said placing a sympathetic hand on her mother’s shoulder.

“Yeah, well, I still have to tell your father. Not looking forward to that conversation.” Her mom shook her head in disgust. “I better get going. I should be back this afternoon. I’ll make dinner. It’ll be just like old times.”

Lois did what she could to muster up a smile and followed her to the door. “Great, uh, good luck.” She closed the door behind her and then went into the bedroom to check on Clark. She found him in the bathroom shirtless with a bottle of nail polish remover and a bag of cotton balls, trying to swipe at his neck with one of the cotton balls. She let her eyes linger over the perfectly sculpted muscles for a moment before finally making her presence known. “Need some help?”

“Please,” He gave her a pleading look. “I have no idea what I’m doing here.”

“I can see that.” She smiled, taking the cotton swab from him. She took the bottle of nail polish remover and doused the cotton ball with it then began blotting at the white residue on his neck. Slowly but surely it began to loosen and she could feel his skin beneath it again. Then she saw it. A small microscopic red bead-like device right at his hairline. “I think I found something.”

“What is it?” Clark asked, standing over Dr. Klein’s shoulder as he examined the crushed device Clark had confiscated from Dianna.

“Well, Superman, it appears to be some sort of radio transmitter.” Dr. Klein frowned, “Unfortunately, you crushed the internal mechanism so I won’t be able to get a reading…”

“The frequency tied to it. Can it be replicated?” Clark asked nervously, once again, rubbing his neck where he’d been trying to remove the super glue since last night.

“I don’t know.” Dr. Klein, “I suppose it’s possible, but a lot of these transmitters are programmed at the manufacturer.”

“And this?” Clark pointed to the red device Lois had removed from his neck earlier. “I don’t know what it is, but I have a feeling it's what that was tracking.” He frowned nervously.

Dr. Klein turned on the lamp hanging above him and tugged on the neck to pull the light closer. “Let me see.”

Clark watched as Dr. Klein placed the bead under a microscope so he could get a good look. “Seems to have some sort of microscopic computer mechanism in it.” Dr. Klein looked over at the crushed tracker Clark had crushed. “I’m going to have to run some tests but I assume your hypothesis is correct. This tracker was used to read the signal being sent out by this little guy right here.”

“I don’t suppose you could destroy it?” Clark suggested.

“I think you already did a good job of that.” Dr. Klein said pointedly, “but I’ll make sure it gets sent in with the rest of STAR Labs malfunctioning devices to be melted down.”

“Thank you, Dr. Klein,” Clark said, turning to leave.

DA Clemmons looked up at Mayson in disbelief, “What?”

“I said I think we need to bring Superman in on the protection of Mr. X.” She repeated, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Since when?” Clemmons scowled, shaking his head, “No, no, we have everything under control.”

“What if we don’t?” Mayson pressed. “We had a leak, Michael. Your secretary! Who knows how much information made it back to Intergang. How many cases were thrown out due to disappearing witnesses this last year? Do you really want to take a chance when we’re this close to stopping them?”

“What I want is for this office to finally get a win!” Clemmons snarled angrily. “We can’t do that if the public sees Superman flitting his cape around our witness. There are good men and women putting their lives on the line to protect this city but none of them get any credit for their efforts.”

Mayson was taken aback by her boss’ admission. Was this what she’d sounded like when she’d been dismissing the man of steel all those months ago. “You’re right we need a win, Michael. But is it really worth putting our case in jeopardy because you can’t set aside your ego?” He opened his mouth to retort and she cut him off. “I get it. Believe me, I do, but this isn't about who does more or who gets credit. It’s about protecting our witness. I don’t know about you but I’d sure feel a lot better having someone that can see the assassin coming before they start shooting on our side.”

“How are you feeling?” Lois asked Clark as they turned the corner to the local diner Bobby had asked to meet them at.

“Okay, I guess,” Clark sighed, running his hand over the back of his neck instinctively. “I still can’t believe she did that.” They reached the diner and he opened the glass door for Lois to enter.

“Well, the Superman Exclusive is a big draw. I guess some reporters are more nefarious when it comes to getting the exclusive than others.” Lois said, looking around the crowded restaurant. In the back corner at the low bar, Bobby sat with two empty seats next to him.

“Hey Bobby,” Clark said as they approached.

“Well, if it isn’t my two favorite lovebirds,” Bobby said, taking a large gulp of his lemonade. The sound of the dwindling drink echoed loudly and the waitress approached.

“You need a refill, sunshine?”

“Please,” Bobby handed her the glass. “And tell the chef I’ll have another.” He tapped the plate in front of him.

“Are you sure?” She looked at him in disbelief.

“It’s on them.” He pointed to Lois and Clark as they took their seats next to him.

“You got it.” She looked to Lois and Clark, “How about you two?”

“Uh, no thanks.” Lois shook her head, eyeing the questionable clientele throughout the diner.

Clark grimaced, following her gaze to the group of kids that couldn’t be older than Jack’s brother Denny. He spotted the handle to a pistol hanging out of one of the guy’s pants’ pocket and shook his head. The sooner they could get the information from Bobby the better. “Just a water,” Clark said.

The waitress rolled her eyes then turned to the double doors and hollered, “Hey Pete! Another Bobby Special and step on it!”

“Gee, you come here often?” Lois joked.

“Very funny,” Bobby said taking another slurp of his lemonade. “So, I hear wedding bells are in the air. Have you booked a venue yet?”

Lois, caught off guard looked back at Clark, “Did you tell him?”

He shook his head adamantly, and Bobby snickered, “I got it from the jeweler. Nice guy. He’s such a romantic at heart.”

“Can’t keep anything from Bobby in this city,” Clark grumbled under his breath.

Lois interjected, “How nice, but we’re not here to talk about us.”

“I don’t see a ring yet.” He looked at Clark, “Did you get the wrong size?”

“Bobby!” Lois cut him off. “Would you cut it out?”

“You know, I can totally see you turning into one of those bridezillas.” Bobby snickered. “You know I hear that chapel off Main is real nice. There’s also the Tabernacle...Now, it’s a bit traditional but they do have a really nice…”

“Bobby, please stop.” Clark cut him off. “We’ve only got an hour. You said you had some information about this Mr. X?”

“Right, work.” Bobby nodded as the waitress came back with a sandwich the size of his head.

“Here you go handsome.” She shook her head, mumbling under her breath as she walked away. “Two Bobby specials in one sitting. Yet, I just look at a slice of bread, and I gain five pounds…”

“So, this Mr. X?” Clark prodded, hoping to keep Bobby focused on anything else but his and Lois’ hopeful engagement. It had been two weeks since he proposed and they still hadn’t had a chance to talk since the night of Mayson’s shooting.

“Mr. X and the assassin were apparently partners both with Intergang and with their public personas,” Bobby said, taking a large bite out of his sandwich. “Ohhh, Frank did it again. Always the perfect temp on the rib.”

“Partners?” Lois echoed with a frown. “So, someone famous that had a partner? That could be anybody.”

“Well, the assassin didn’t become famous on their own. Intergang made that happen.” Bobby added, taking another bite. “How else were they gonna take down some of the world leaders that didn’t play ball?”

“Any guesses on who the assassin might be?” Clark asked, taking a sip from his water.

“Your guess is as good as mine. But from what I hear Intergang’s already put the bounty on Mr. X’s head so it’s only a matter of time till we know who it is.” Bobby said taking another bite.

Lois nodded, “Okay, thanks, Bobby,” Clark laid a few bills on the counter to cover Bobby’s meals and the tip before heading out. As they exited Lois’ phone rang, “Hello?” She stopped outside the diner, nodding, “Okay, yeah, we’ll let him know.” After hanging up she turned to Clark, “That was Mayson. The DA wants Superman’s help in protecting Mr. X.”

“What’s taking him so long?” Clemmons asked, turning to Mayson who stood against the wall of his office, watching him pace around the room nervously. “I mean he’s supposed to be faster than a speeding bullet….Yeah, right.”

“I’m sure he’ll be here as soon as he can,” Mayson said with a sigh.

“You wanted to see me?” a voice from outside DA Clemmons’ office interrupted. They both turned to see Superman standing in the doorway with his arms folded across his chest.

“Yes, Superman, come on in,” Mayson pointed to the door for him to close behind him.

In her executive office, Diana held the new handheld tracker in her hand. “I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. It’s on the same frequency as the last one.”

Rolf leaned over her shoulder, looking at the device with a critiquing eye, “The settings are the same. Could the power have gone out on the tracking device? Maybe the signal died?”

Diana shook her head, “No, damn.” She set the handheld tracker down. “Obviously Superman found it.”

“So, how are you going to expose his identity then?” Rolf asked with a questioning stare.

“That’s for me to worry about, darling,” Diana patted him on the cheek. She glanced at the clock, seeing the time. “I’ve got a meeting with an old partner. Would you mind locking up?” She sashayed past him, leaving him alone in the office.

Lois took a deep breath, trying to calm her nerves. Mayson had called an hour ago to let her know Mr. X would be giving a recorded statement to police with the assassin’s name tonight. Superman was supposed to help transport him to a secure location where hopefully no one in Intergang could get to him.

They had agreed nothing he learned protecting Mr. X could be used in their investigation. That meant she would have to take the lead. It was one of the things that made his dual identities twice as hard. What he learned as Superman— especially in a case like this— couldn’t be used to help their story.

Superman had to be trusted.

“Lois?” Her mother called her name, waving a hand in front of her.

“Huh?” Lois looked up.

“Oh, my God my everything hurts,” Lucy said, slamming the front door closed behind her as she entered the apartment. She dropped her books on the coffee table and fell back on the couch.

“There’s dinner.” Her mother said simply, sipping on her glass of water and pointing to the table.

“Too tired to move.” Lucy groaned from the couch.

“You want me to bring you something?” Lois asked, moving to sit next to her sister who was attempting to sit up on the couch.

“As long as it's not Statistics,” Lucy grumbled, placing both hands over her face.

“That bad, huh?”

“How in the world is any of this of any use?” Lucy asked.

“You know I heard a lot of these universities have you take courses like that so they can charge you more. Adding classes that aren’t required for your major.” their mother piped in. “You should complain to your advisor.”

“No, she hates me.” Lucy sighed. “I’m already having to take over a full load right now to make up for last semester.”

“I still don’t understand how you got mixed up with that Metallo character.” Ellen piped in.

“Mom, not now.” Lois tried to hush her.

“His name was Johnny.” Lucy corrected and let out a defeated sigh, “And I guess it's just my dumb luck.”

“I don’t understand you girls. Both of you given all the chances in the world to succeed. One risks her life for stories that will be lining bird cages the next day and the other can’t decide what she wants to major in from one moment to the next…”

“Mom, please don’t.” Lois cut her off with a long breath. It seemed her mother was in rare form tonight.

Ellen rambled on bitterly. “You know, Rita has two grandkids? Not one, but two. How do you think that makes me look?”

“Like your daughters are sensible adults that don’t have kids before their ready?” Lois answered, crossing her arms over her chest in defiance.

“Didn’t Naiomi get pregnant in high school?” Lucy reminded her.

“That’s not the point.” Ellen scolded.

“Of course not.” Lois sighed, “I’m sorry. Lucy and I aren’t going to have a baby because your friend’s daughter wants to play house.”

“Yeah, at your rate I’ll be dead and gone before I see any sign of children from either one of you,” Ellen grumbled.

“Don’t be so sure of that,” Lucy muttered under her breath.

“What was that?” Their mother looked over at them sharply.

“Nothing.” Lois covered, glaring at Lucy. “Absolutely nothing.”

“Oh, come on, you and I both know what your answer is going to eventually be.” Lucy shot back. “You might as well tell her.”

“I thought we agreed to you keeping your mouth shut?” Lois reminded her.

“You agreed.” Lucy reminded her, rolling her eyes. “Fine. Whatever. You want to continue torturing yourself over mom and dad’s divorce. Be my guest.” She stood up, shaking her head and walking into the kitchen.“You know if you’re not careful you could end up all alone because you’re too scared to take a chance.”

“What is she talking about?” Ellen hissed, turning to confront Lois after Lucy disappeared into the kitchen.

Lois looked down in defeat, feeling she had no other option but to tell her mother. “Clark proposed to me.”

Lucy reappeared in the doorway with a plate of food, “This is delicious. Did you make it?” She turned to Lois.

“No, mom did,” Lois said glancing anywhere but at her mother at the moment.

“Okay, both of you stop.” Ellen cut them off. “Back up. He proposed?” Lois could see the excitement in her mother’s eyes.

“In Hawaii,” Lucy added, reclaiming her seat next to Lois.

“Superman owed him a favor,” Lois said hurriedly. She really wasn’t ready to discuss this. She certainly wasn’t ready to discuss it with her mother of all people.

“I don’t see a ring,” Ellen observed.

“I haven’t given him an answer yet.”

“Come again?” Ellen choked out, looking at her in disbelief.

“I really, really don’t want to talk about this.” Lois harrumphed, leaning back against the couch and crossing her arms over her chest in defiance.

“Let me get this straight, your boyfriend took you to a tropical island to propose to you...You haven’t given him an answer yet and you thought this wasn’t something you should share with me? Is that everything or do you have a secret family I haven’t met too?” Ellen scolded her in disbelief.

“See, this is why I didn’t want to tell you!” Lois snapped irritably, grabbing her purse and heading for the door. “You always do this!”

“Do what?”

“Make it about you!” Lois shouted angrily. “This has nothing to do with you and whether I decide to marry Clark or not is not something I want to discuss right now with either of you.” She glared at the two of them and stormed out of the apartment, slamming the door behind her.

TBC...
Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube