Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
This fic is an answer to Kerth Challenge #6 and takes place before the beginning of Honest to God, This Time We Aren’t Kidding! I know it is not exactly the entire challenge, but for me a good Cat Grant is a cool challenge to write.

If a certain striking auburn-haired beauty had returned to the bullpen, what kind of thoughts might have gone through her mind after all the changes that happened between Lois and Clark? Sorry I posted after the Kerths!

Thanks to KatherineKent for her excellent beta work.

Last edited by Morgana; 04/16/18 03:56 PM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Quite a lovely tale.

Framework4
Top Banana
Top Banana
I really loved this story. I always think Cat got the short end of the straw in the series and I love stories where she is allowed to develop to a more mature character. They never did anything with the character in Season 1 but I read an interview with Deborah Joy Levine (the creator) that she had ideas on possibly bringing more depth to Cat's character but she was relieved of her show running duties after season 1 and they began the 'villain of the week' run of the show and Catherine Grant (and Tracy Scoggins) was dumped for season 2.

Fan Fiction allows authors to correct many oversights of many series.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
I really liked it. What a sweet story.

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This glimpse into Cat’s (I beg your pardon… Catherine Grant’s) brain is a delight. Realistic and empathetic, it also enables the reader to experience first-hand Lois’s growth: Catherine described it; however, but Lois inviting Cat to her wedding and making her part of her attendants are lovely proofs of her mellowing and opening up to others.

Besides, you made Cat’s evolution quite logical: it also always seemed to me that her sexy flirtatious façade was also the means to protect herself, as well as having some fun.

A very enjoyable come back of one of the most underused characters of the 1st Season. I really regretted her leaving the Planet. Thanks, Morgana, for this lovely story.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Really liked your story and how you met the challenge of Cat changing for the better! smile

Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Framework4

Quite a lovely tale.

Thank you very much! It was a pleasant experience to speculate on what Cat Grant was doing while away from Metropolis.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
MikeM

I really loved this story. I always think Cat got the short end of the straw in the series and I love stories where she is allowed to develop to a more mature character. They never did anything with the character in Season 1 but I read an interview with Deborah Joy Levine (the creator) that she had ideas on possibly bringing more depth to Cat's character but she was relieved of her show running duties after season 1 and they began the 'villain of the week' run of the show and Catherine Grant (and Tracy Scoggins) was dumped for season 2.

Fan Fiction allows authors to correct many oversights of many series.

Fanfic does allow for changes and in this case improvement over a very definite oversight. Cat is not a fan favorite, nonetheless her character was happily allowed two great scenes which permitted the viewers to see her in greater depths. Towards the end she became a cliche and that was a pity. Since neither Lois nor Clark had any close friends on the show, it would have been good to see a better relationship between the two women.

Oh man! Can anyone imagine how cool the show would have been if Deborah Joy Levine had been allowed to stay on? If only we could go back in time!

Morgana

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice to see Cat doing so well after her departure. thumbsup

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Jackiek

I really liked it. What a sweet story

Glad you liked it! Cat took a long time, but eventually made her way home. smile

Last edited by Morgana; 04/22/18 09:35 PM. Reason: Edits

Morgana

Features Writer
Features Writer
What a great story! I love it! clap notworthy

And I also thought Cat's character had so much potential for growth, and was sad when she left.

Originally Posted by Morgana
Oh man! Can anyone imagine how cool the show would have been if Deborah Joy Levine had been allowed to stay on? If only we could go back in time!

I can! That would have been awesome, assuming she could have done it without various suits having their own input. Although I'm not sure I would have been happy with Lois and Clark not getting together for nine years, as she suggested in one interview. dizzy

Last edited by cuidadora; 04/22/18 07:37 PM.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Millefeuilles

This glimpse into Cat’s (I beg your pardon… Catherine Grant’s) brain is a delight. Realistic and empathetic, it also enables the reader to experience first-hand Lois’s growth: Catherine described it; however, but Lois inviting Cat to her wedding and making her part of her attendants are lovely proofs of her mellowing and opening up to others.

Besides, you made Cat’s evolution quite logical: it also always seemed to me that her sexy flirtatious façade was also the means to protect herself, as well as having some fun.

A very enjoyable come back of one of the most underused characters of the 1st Season. I really regretted her leaving the Planet. Thanks, Morgana, for this lovely story.

It's true, Lois' personality improved for the better as the series progressed. She treated everyone around her with greater respect. This is my way of showing that progression through Cat's eyes. In the process we see Catherine's thinking (and wardrobe) change. Adding her former nemesis to the guest list and having her help out the wedding party adds an extra touch.

Being pretty can sometimes be more of a curse than a blessing. Being a total vamp was a form of protection. Sadly, it backfired. We saw that during the exchange between Cat and Clark during All Shook Up. No one wanted her around because they already had someone. It was that scene which really made me look at the character with a more discerning eye.

Yes indeed, Catherine Grant's return to the bullpen is apparently greatly appreciated by a number of FoLC's! Thanks for the comment!

Last edited by Morgana; 04/22/18 09:40 PM. Reason: Edits

Morgana

Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
SuperJan

Really liked your story and how you met the challenge of Cat changing for the better! smile

You are very much welcome! Thank you so much for the feedback!

Morgana

Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
FolC4evernaday

Nice to see Cat doing so well after her departure. thumbsup

And what a return! She was meant to be in the bullpen! Now if we could get rid of Ralph permanently life there would be perfect.

Last edited by Morgana; 04/22/18 09:36 PM. Reason: Additional comments

Morgana

Kerth
Kerth
Aw I loved this! I love seeing the softer side of Cat. This was perfect.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Ciudadora

I can! That would have been awesome, assuming she could have done it without various suits having their own input. Although I'm not sure I would have been happy with Lois and Clark not getting together for nine years, as she suggested in one interview. dizzy

It never ceases to amaze me how bean counters and other suits input wrecks a really decent program!

Having Cat return in this story is again my take on what might have happened if the character had been allowed to develop slowly. I always thought Lois needed a real friend to confide in. Somehow Star never quite filled the bill in my mind.

Nine year courtship? Nope, a slow, easy friendship that works its way into a romance is much more appealing. I always thought Lois and Clark got together too quickly. To quote Perry, "Have you two tried dating?"

Last edited by Morgana; 04/29/18 01:02 PM.

Morgana

Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Mouserocks

Aw I loved this! I love seeing the softer side of Cat. This was perfect.

Presenting Cat's softer side was exactly what I was shooting for! I don't think many viewers realize what an excellent actress Tracy Scroggins is. Check out Season 5 of Babylon 5 to see what I'm talking about!

Last edited by Morgana; 01/11/19 09:53 AM. Reason: edits

Morgana

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Morgana!

Lois said while staring at a glossy travel magazine which advertisements promised a tropical Honeymoon tailored to an engaged couple’s most intimate needs and desires.
So, a jungle adventure magazine with ads for excursions into gun running and drug trafficking camps?
LOIS: Hey! I *do* know how to take a vacation.

How did Lois ‘Mad Dog’ Lane, one of the most unapproachable women I have ever met, snap up one of the best looking and kindest men in the Bullpen?
By persistently chasing after him for three years until he finally gave in?

But despite all that, unpleasant rumors of his ruthless behavior had reached her ears, which had persisted – and intensified with the appearance of Superman.
She probably should refrain from discussing those with Lois.

It didn’t hurt that the principal and very handsome actor in the film wanted to give her an exclusive private tour of the Black Sand Beach nearby
Uh-huh. ‘private tour’. Yeah, I guess that’s what they call it on the West Coast.

It was a pity the guy was happily married.
jawdrop

Of course, she thought with a touch of bitterness, the editor might have already asked Lois Lane to take the position.
Weekend editor? Yeah, I guess that would be a ‘pass’ from Lois.

After all, the Chief’s little pet had stuck around
Meow!

Oddly enough, California had changed her for the better.
rotflol

Lois’ reporter’s instincts kicked in, she wondered what happened out there to cause such a metamorphosis?
The old adage about overindulging one’s bad habits?

Lois was also at a loss for words, then she said. “Cat, the three years working in California don’t count, you’ve always been a part of the Daily Planet family. Bring a date if you want.
In the earlier days, this would have been so she doesn’t abscond with some poor guy who lands in her crosshairs *at* the reception.

“Cat called George, Bernie’s friend. She asked him out for a coffee.”
/cocks eyebrow/

Someone’s grown up! Nice one!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Darth Michael

Quote:
“Cat called George, Bernie’s friend. She asked him out for a coffee.”
/cocks eyebrow/

Someone’s grown up! Nice one!

Thanks so much for the lovely comments, they made me howl with laughter! Yes, Catherine has grown up and has found someone to love her the way Clark loves Lois.

Morgana

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard