Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
“That was an amazing dinner,” Lois said later, as they walked through Centennial Park.

It had been her idea to take a walk, rather than go someplace loud – like a bar or club – or impersonal – like a movie. She’d insisted that there would be more than enough time in the future to do things like see films and go bowling. For this night, she’d simply wanted the chance to keep talking.

How could Clark argue against that logic? Secretly, he’d hoped to spend more time talking with her too. The quiet, nearly deserted park was exactly the type of place where he wanted to be. So, when she’d asked if going to the park was okay, he’d eagerly and sincerely answered with a yes.

“It really was,” he agreed. ”We’re definitely going back there again. If that’s okay with you.”

“Absolutely,” she confirmed. “I think it’s safe to say, I no longer associate The Lobster Claw with bad memories.”

Clark’s heart beamed with pride and love. “I’m glad to hear that,” he said sincerely. “When would you like to go back?” he teased.

“Maybe for another date?” Lois asked, though her tone of voice made it more of an invitation than a question.

“Hmmm, well, that depends,” Clark replied. “Do you want another date with me?” He winked at her, letting her know that he was joking with her.

“Definitely,” she agreed with a laugh and a playful slap on his shoulder. “I really have been having a great time tonight, Clark. More than I ever hoped I would. I mean, I knew I’d have a good time…we’re best friends for a reason. But it’s different, with it being a date and all and I…I wasn’t sure what to expect tonight. But…I’m really glad we did this.”

“Me too, Lois.”

“Just promise me…you won’t break my heart, right?”

“Lois, I would rather die than ever cause you a single ounce of pain,” he assured her. “Trust me. I’m not the same kind of guy as the others you’ve known up until now.”

Yeah, none of them flew around town wearing Spandex, his inner voice said, dripping with sarcasm.

“I promise,” he continued, tamping down that voice inside. “I will never break your heart.”

Unless you find out I’m Superman and hate me for it, his mind shot back.

“Good,” Lois said. “And I promise the same. This relationship of ours…I’d never do anything to harm it. It may only be our first date but…I can already feel it. This isn’t like any relationship I’ve ever been in. I want this to work between us.”

“Me too. Since the moment I met you, I’ve dreamed of being more than just coworkers and friends,” he admitted, thankful for the darkness of the night, that hid the slight reddening of his cheeks as he made his confession.

“Friends? I was awful to you in the beginning,” Lois pointed out.

Clark shrugged. “Maybe, but I understood where you were coming from. I knew that, given time, we’d come to see eye to eye.”

“Still, there’s no excuse for how I acted.”

“It’s in the past. It doesn’t matter anymore. Everyone has things they’ve done that they’re not proud of. You and I are no exception.” He shrugged again. “All that matters is right now and how we choose to move forward from this moment. For me, I choose to be happy, to forget what came before, and to ask you on another date…say…Wednesday?”

“I’d like that,” Lois said softly.

Feeling emboldened, Clark reached out and took her hand. Immediately, she moved closer to his side. She gave his hand a gentle, quick squeeze, which he returned. His heart was soaring. He didn’t think he’d ever been this happy in all his life. Maybe, he thought selfishly, he’d finally earned the right to have some happiness. Maybe he’d finally done enough good deeds for the universe to give his heart the love he’d always hoped to find.

He only hoped he could maintain it.

Already, Superman was in demand. Since his first outing as the caped superhero, he’d already made rescues in half a dozen countries around the globe – everything from the Planet being bombed in Metropolis, to a disabled plane in Paris, to a hostage situation in Beijing. And those had only been some of the bigger emergencies he’d gone to. In between looking for leads on the bombing, he’d assisted at two fires, seven car accidents, and saved a little boy from drowning when he’d fallen overboard during a fishing trip in Bermuda.

All in all, Clark loved the freedom he had to use his powers in broad daylight. It was a feeling like none other, when he could save a life. It gave him a rush to know that the world didn’t fear the alien they now knew resided on Earth, but instead accepted and loved him.

But Clark did fear how his Superman duties might affect his ability to work as Clark Kent. And, more importantly to him, how he would be able to juggle his need to sometimes dash out to a crisis with being there for Lois when they might be out at dinner together. So far, he’d been lucky. The most urgent calls for Superman had come while he was alone and able to slip away into the sky without the need to excuse himself from a conversation with Lois or staff meeting. But he was painfully aware that that wouldn’t always be the case. He would have to think of something.

All in good time, he told himself. Take things as they come, as Mom always liked to say. When the need arises, I’ll figure things out.

“Clark?”

“Yeah?”

“I really had a great time with you tonight,” Lois said.

“Me too. Tonight was…more perfect than I ever imagined anything could be.”

“It’s weird,” Lois mused and Clark chuckled.

“Uh, thanks. I think,” he joked.

But Lois shook her head. “Not weird weird. Just…weird. I’ve never had a first date like this before.”

“What do you mean?”

“Usually first dates are so…awkward and uncomfortable. Even when they go well, there’s always that element of the unknown. What do I wear? Am I talking too much? Does he think I’m boring? Did I order something too expensive, even if it was only just a salad? But tonight? Tonight…tonight wasn’t like that. It was like…like we’d been dating for a long time. It’s all still new and exciting, of course, but that comfortable level? The kind that comes from being with someone for a while? It was already there. For me, that made it the best first date I’ve ever had.”

“Me too, Lois,” Clark answered truthfully. “I guess…I guess us being such good friends made the difference. We’re still learning new things about one another, sure. But we know each other. We’re comfortable with sharing everything.”

“Yeah,” Lois said, agreeing.

Clark smiled at her. “Personally, I’ve always hated first dates, for exactly the reasons you stated – the awkwardness of it all has always made me really nervous. But not tonight. This was better than any first date has the right to be.”

Lois nodded. “Exactly. So, really…thanks for tonight.”

“You’re welcome. But I should be the one thanking you.”

He guided her to a bench as they reached the fountain in the middle of the park. He let go of her hand and, instead, put his arm around her, drawing her close. She snuggled into his side, and rested her head against his shoulder. With his super hearing, he heard her sigh – a sound as light and airy as a baby’s breathing. It took all of his iron will to not kiss her atop her head, and he very nearly lost that battle. He felt like he’d been created for the sole purpose of being with and loving Lois Lane.

Lois looked up, into the sky as they sat there, silently enjoying each other’s company. She sighed again.

“It’s such a beautiful night out,” she remarked. “Too bad you can’t see many stars with all of the lights from the city.”

“Mmm,” Clark agreed.

“When I was a kid, I was obsessed with the night sky,” she continued. “I used to love the summers when I would go away to camp for a couple of weeks, out into the mountains, simply because being out there, away from all the city lights, I could really get a good view of the stars. And yeah, okay, it helped that I was getting away from my family for a while too.”

“You would have loved my family’s farm,” Clark said softly, marveling at the passion in Lois’ voice, which had dipped to nearly a whisper. “Year round, we had a great view of the night sky. I used to go out all the time at night, so long as it was a clear sky. Sometimes I’d climb out my bedroom window to lay on the roof to get the best view. It felt like I could see the entire universe from there.”

“I wish I could have seen that,” Lois replied, snuggling in even closer.

“Maybe one day, we can take a trip together. Maybe not to my old house – the bank seized it a long time ago for what was left on the mortgage when my parents passed away – but to Kansas in general. In all honestly, I haven’t been out there much, since I was sent to the halfway house. Just a few quick visits to the cemetery, after I went to live in Wayne Manor. It might be nice to visit again…see the places I used to know so well.”

“I’d like that. It’d be nice to see where you grew up.”

“I’m not even sure if that’s where I grew up anymore,” Clark admitted. “I spent the first thirteen years of my life there, sure, but I think I did the most ‘growing up’ everywhere else. I haven’t thought about Smallville as ‘home’ in a long time. Until I moved to Metropolis, I didn’t feel like I had a home anymore. Grandma’s certainly wasn’t it, and I’ve never felt so lost as I did when I was living on the streets. Wayne Manor came close but there was something it was always missing. Something that kept me from feeling like I was destined to spend my entire life in Gotham. But thanks to you…I’m finally home.”

“That’s um…” Lois stammered, clearly at a loss for words. “That’s probably the sweetest thing anyone’s ever said to me.”

“I wouldn’t say it if it wasn’t completely true.”

“I know. We might not know each other all that long but…I know. You’ve proven how…how earnest and truthful and pure hearted you are, over and over again.”

“So…the stars,” Clark said, clearing his throat and trying to steer the conversation back away from his heart. “Did you, uh, want to take a drive? We can be outside of the city limits and in the countryside in about an hour. Maybe less, since there won’t be as much traffic at this time of night. We could find a place to park and stargaze, if you’d like.”

He looked over to see a dreamy smile on her face. “Tempting. But it’s getting late and I promised Perry I’d cover for Rusty tomorrow.”

“Rusty? But he’s in sports,” Clark replied, surprised. “Wait…are you a closet sports fan?”

Lois laughed. “Far from it. But,” she shrugged, “I do know my way around just about any sport. Comes with the territory of having a father who’s specialized in professional sports medicine.”

“Sports medicine?” Clark asked, his mind leaping into action. Only one Dr. Lane in sports medicine popped into his mind. “Wait a second. Your father? Don’t tell me he’s Sam Lane.”

Lois nodded. “One and the same.”

“Really? He’s a legend! Most sports fans liken him to basically a god-like status.” He tried to keep the excitement out of his voice, for Lois’ benefit.

“Yeah, if only they knew what a miserable human being he’s been to his own family,” Lois quipped sourly.

Clark winced. He was aware of Lois’ family situation and how her father had abandoned them all after having several affairs. Sam had never remarried, but, instead, had thrown himself fully into his work, almost to the exclusion of all else – his daughters included. It had brought Clark’s blood to a boil, when he’d learned all of that. Sam Lane didn’t know how lucky he was to have a family.

“I guess everyone has their secrets,” Clark said without intending to. “Things we hide away from the world, for whatever reason.”

“Even you?” Lois asked, arching an eyebrow. “No offense, Clark, but I’ve never known you to be shy or evasive about anything.”

“Of course I do,” he replied truthfully, and with a wry smile. “I mean most people have no idea that I lived on the streets for a time, because I don’t present myself like that. I don’t go around advertising it. I wouldn’t lie about it if someone asked, but if they don’t, I keep that part of my life hidden away.”

Lois paused. “I guess that’s true. I mean, I know I have my own secrets – things I’m too embarrassed about to ever want to admit to.” She thought for a second. “Do you think Superman has secrets? He was pretty forthcoming when he let me interview him. But, well, we don’t really know him, on a personal level.”

“I’d bet my life on it,” Clark replied without making eye contact, choosing, instead, to look back up into the sky. “His motives for keeping secrets are probably different from your or mine – his safety over something like embarrassment, for example. But yeah, he’s probably got plenty of secrets.”

Like the fact that he’s sitting right next to you.

A few minutes of companionable silence passed between them, then he felt Lois shiver a little in the cool night air.

“Hey, are you getting cold?” he asked.

“Maybe a little,” she confessed.

“Let’s get back to the car then,” Clark offered. “You want to get a cup of coffee or something?”

“I wish I could,” Lois said as Clark stood. He gave her his hand and she took it as she rose from the bench. “As much as I hate to see this date end, I have an early morning tomorrow.”

Clark nodded. “I understand. Maybe I can meet you in the morning for breakfast?” he offered.

“I’d love that,” Lois said, brightening.

“Great. I’ll bring the croissants,” he said, leading her down the path, away from the fountain. “I know this great place. I’m sure you’ll love them.”

“Make it chocolate croissants,” Lois said with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

“I wouldn’t dream of bringing anything else,” he replied.

“Well, here we are. Safe and sound back at your apartment door,” Clark said with a cheesy flourish as they arrived back at Lois’ place a little while later. “Door to door service, as promised.”

Lois giggled a little and flashed him a brilliant smile. “Thanks, Clark.”

“So…I’ll see you at eight then?”

“Mmm…better make it seven,” Lois said.

“You’ve got it,” he replied happily.

“Clark…I really did have a great time tonight.”

“Me too, Lois.”

“Thank you, for everything. It’s been a long, long time since I had a great date.”

“I’m just happy that you had a good time,” he said sincerely. “Maybe next time, we can take that drive out into upstate New Troy to stargaze,” he offered. Then he grinned. “So long as it’s nice out.”

Lois laughed. “With my luck dating, it’ll probably rain if we plan on that…but yeah, I’d like to do that, Clark.”

“It’s a deal then.”

“Deal.”

“Lois?”

“Yeah, Clark?”

“Thanks for not turning me down.”

“Thanks for being someone I can respect and not want to turn down,” she replied, cupping his cheek in her hand.

For a moment, they stood there, frozen in time, each of the seeming to search for what to say or do next.

In the end, it was Lois who broke the spell first as she fought back a tired yawn, though her hand stayed in place on his cheek.

“Sorry,” she apologized.

“Don’t be. We’ve had a rough week, and we’re still not done with our investigations,” he told her gently.

“True,” she conceded. Then, “Goodnight, Clark.”

“Goodnight, Lois.” He mimicked her and cupped her own cheek in his hand.

When she didn’t shy away and her hand lingered on his face, he took it as a sign that she would welcome a goodnight kiss. His eyes closed as he leaned forward. His heart began to race in anticipation. He felt himself nearly begin to float and he forced his feet to stay on the ground. Half a second later, he felt his lips find hers.

Sparks flew before his closed eyelids. Fire ignited in his veins. Lightning shot through every last one of his nerves. The world closed in around him and vanished into a pinprick of light, leaving only Lois and himself floating in the vastness of eternity – a place that was both devoid of any color, yet touched by every color that had ever been or ever would be. A place without sound – where the beating of their entwined hearts deafened any external noise. A place where time simply ceased to be – where eons took only heartbeats to pass by and seconds stretched into days.

For the first time in his life, Clark felt completely separate from the world while simultaneously feeling connected to every list atom that made up the Earth. His senses dimmed to anything that wasn’t Lois. But he was keenly aware of the way her lips felt against his – full, soft, demanding more out of the gentle kiss he’d initiated. He heard, in intimate detail, the way her heart was pounding. No other scent existed outside of the flowery smell of her perfume and the coconut lime of her conditioner. His skin tingled and burst aflame everywhere her hands touched – his face, his scalp, his back, his neck.

He felt the rest of his body responding to her touch as well, and knew that he had to break the kiss off before he got himself in trouble. But it was still one of the greatest struggles of his life when he finally pulled back from her lips. Instantly, he regretted leaving her embrace. He felt cold and the world around him felt all wrong – as if the kiss had been real and the world was the dream.

“Wow,” Lois murmured, looking as stunned by their kiss as Clark felt. “Where’d you learn to kiss like that?”

“Believe me, Lois, that was all you,” he said, shaking his head. “I’ve never had a kiss like that in my life.”

“Who knew the Farm Boy could be so…talented,” Lois said, grinning shyly.

“It’s because I love you,” he admitted, the words slipping off his tongue without his consent.

He clamped his mouth shut in horror when he realized what he’d just said. He felt his entire body erupt with heat as he turned scarlet red in a blush. He very nearly physically put his hands over his mouth, like a cartoon character. A thought occurred to him – of all his strange and amazing powers, why didn’t he have the ability to shrink down small enough to escape without detection?

“I…uh…I didn’t mean to say that,” he stuttered, trying to salvage what was left of his relationship with Lois. “I’m sorry, Lois.”

“Sorry?” she asked, sounding confused.

“I know I’ve probably made you uncomfortable. And I know how desperate and pathetic I must have sounded just now. It’s only our first date, after all. It wasn’t my intention to...put that out there. So…I’m sorry. I just…I hope that doesn’t scare you off. I’d hate to think that I just made things way too awkward between us.” He sighed. “But, if I did, I understand. The last thing I wanted to do tonight was to make you feel…pressured or uncomfortable in any way.”

“Clark?”

“Yeah?” he asked cautiously.

“Stop apologizing,” Lois said gently. “Okay, so, I wasn’t totally expecting that. But, um, I’m not surprised by it either. Between the way you’ve always treated me, and what Bruce said at the White Orchid…I knew already. And I appreciate it. I just…this is all still very new to me. And while I love you, I’m still learning what that means – if it’s a ‘love you as a friend’ or the kind that you feel. I’m sorry, Clark. But, for what it’s worth, it doesn’t scare me, to hear you say it.”

“Really?” he asked dubiously, not quite daring enough to trust that he was hearing things correctly.

“Really. It’s nice to hear. If we’re being completely honest, this is the first time a man has ever said that to me when I know that I can believe it’s the truth. And I wish I could say it back right now. But I need a little time to get there.”

“Take all the time you need, Lois. I’ve waited twenty-eight years to find you. Almost twenty-nine. If I have to wait twenty-nine more, I’ll do so happily.”

She touched his face again - gently, lovingly - and she smiled softly. “Thank you.”

“No, thank you, for not freaking out about this,” Clark smiled back. “Now, before I can stick my foot into my mouth any further, I’ll let you get some rest. I’ll see you in the morning, Lois.”

She smiled, and then, perhaps on an impulse, she reached up on the tips of her toes and kissed his forehead. “Goodnight, Clark.”

“Night, Lois.”

After leaving Lois’ apartment, Clark couldn’t bring himself to go back to his own place – not just yet. He wasn’t in the least bit tired – he was far too energized by the way their first date had turned out – and sleep was simply not an option. He didn’t want to be alone either, at least, not confined to the walls of his apartment. But he didn’t necessarily want to be with other people either. A part of him felt like if he spoke to another person, the magic spell of the evening would be broken, and he’d once again find him on the outside of humanity looking in, instead of in the relationship he’d always prayed he’d find.

For a little while, he wandered the streets of Metropolis. The city never really slept, and he found that he was not the only one still awake and out and about at that late hour. He saw at least half a dozen people out walking dogs, and at least eight more staggering home from bars – all of them too intoxicated to drive themselves. Trucks still rumbled down the streets – big delivery trucks making their way to stores so that the shelves could be restocked with goods for people to buy in the morning. Outside of an apartment building he passed, two men stood talking and smoking, while a couple stole kisses in the shadows. Dogs barked in the night. Laughter and voices wafted through the air. In the distance, an ambulance siren blared.

It was too much for Clark.

He found a deserted alleyway and ducked inside. A swift, but thorough, check of it assured him that he was alone. He ducked behind a rusted green dumpster and spun into his Superman outfit, then shot up into the sky. He flew due east, blitzing through the sky at a speed that fell just short of the sound barrier. He kept moving until he’d passed through several time zones and he could see the faint lightening of the sky before him as the sunrise approached. Then he finally slowed down and came to a rest on the peak of the highest mountain around. Clark wasn’t even sure where he was anymore – he’d lost track as he’d replayed the kiss he’d shared with Lois over and over in his mind.

Wherever he was, the view was breathtaking. A sea of mountains stretched out before him, white capped with snow that gleamed golden as the sun rose higher and spilled its life-giving light out over the land. A large boulder stood bald and smooth where Clark was, and he sat down, with the fleeting thought that he could well be the first person to ever sit upon that rock. Wrapping his cape around him – for comfort rather than to protect himself against the biting cold - he simply breathed in the clean air, delighting in the scent of trees and snow and wind, unmarred by the pollution of the city. His breath misted out in wispy white puffs when he exhaled again.

In a way, he mused, his journey to this place had mirrored his life. He’d had to wander in darkness for a time, alone and without really belonging anywhere. So, he’d kept moving, kept pressing onward, kept looking for the light where he knew he’d find some happiness and a sense of acceptance, if not belonging. Along the way, he’d learned to live with his lot in life. He’d even come to embrace the darkness - not just the darkness of the physical night, fighting side by side in Gotham with Bruce but the inner darkness of his lonely heart as well. And then, he’d moved on again and found himself in Metropolis. There, he’d fully stepped into the light, embraced his destiny as a reporter, and had left fighting in the shadows behind to let Superman walk in the sunshine. As he’d done so, his loneliness had fallen away and his world had been flooded with the light that was his love for Lois.

As a simple farm raised orphan, he couldn’t have asked for more.

The End.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

T
Blogger
Blogger
T
I liked it very much

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard