Rules of Guilt
Folc4evernaday
Teaser

Previously On Rules of Love…

Lois stared up at the large white globe shaped building in front of them. “You brought me all the way to Hawaii to look at an observatory?”

“Not just any observatory. Maua Kea Observatory. It’s supposed to be the best place in the world to look at the stars.” He said with a smile. “Besides your last visit to an observatory didn’t turn out that bad, did it?”

“Well, no…” She said, following him up the steps. “Is this one of those weird Smallville quirks?”

He laughed, holding the lantern in his hand as they approached the front door. To her surprise, a man was waiting at the front who seemed to recognize Clark. “Makai Kent. Everything set.” He pointed to a door in the dimly lit lobby they stood in and nodded.

“Thank you,” Clark said with a smile.

Lois watched the man return to his desk and then looked at Clark suspiciously as he led her to the door that would open up to who knew what. “Something tells me you planned this mysterious adventure.”

“Well, I can’t give away all my secrets.” He grinned back at her as he opened the door for her.

She stepped inside, taking a breath as she looked up at the large circular glass pane ceiling where hundreds of stars shone brightly back at her. “Wow,” The entire room was lit up by the white sparkling gems painting the clear night sky through the glass.

“Pretty amazing, huh?” He whispered in her ear.

She glanced to the corner of the room and saw a picnic basket set up in the corner—much like their first date at the Metropolis Observatory several months ago. “A picnic, huh?” She smiled back at him, “You don’t have any other earth shattering news to share, do you?”

“It’s just dessert. Come on,” He tugged her arm gently, pulling her into the center of the room. She took a seat next to him on the blanket that was folded out next to a large telescope. He pulled a small box from the basket and opened it, revealing several assorted fruits dipped in chocolate of one kind or another. “Here.” He offered her a chocolate covered strawberry dipped in crushed nuts.

“These are delicious.” She took a bite, looking around at the starlit room then turned back to Clark who was watching her with a smile on his face. “What?” She asked self conscious under his gaze.

“Nothing.” He murmured, taking a bite of his own chocolate covered fruit. “Enjoying the view.”

She blushed, seeing his gaze was still directed at her and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear. He’d done the impossible on this mini vacation. Made her forget the trauma from last night and this past week. He’d recreated their first date in the middle of paradise and had been the perfect gentleman throughout all of it. She had come to discover that was just Clark. He found joy from doing things like this that made her happy. She had fallen for him so completely and sitting here with him underneath the starlit sky she couldn’t think of anywhere else she’d rather be.

“This is pretty incredible that you put all this effort in for one evening.” She began cautiously, feeling her heartrate hike a bit. “Thank you. I think we both needed to getaway and this…” She gestured to the room, “...is amazing.”

“You’re amazing, Lois,” She met his gaze, feeling the heat from it hit her like a wave. His hand brushed against her cheek again, and he whispered, “I love you, Lois.”

“I love you too.” She said, looking up to meet his gaze.

“I don’t think I could have gotten through these past few days without you.” He cracked a smile, “Or even these past few months. I know it’s only been four months since I brought you to the Metropolis Planetarium and let you in on my biggest secret.”

“You trying to go for a do-over?” She asked, looking at him quizzically, trying to break the tension with a joke. He seemed really nervous about whatever it was he was trying to say.

“No, it’s nothing like that.” He reassured her, taking her hand in his.

“What is it?” she asked, looking at him in concern.

“Lois, you’re everything to me.” His fingers wedged themselves between hers, tightening into a joined fist as he continued, “You save me from myself so many times. Everything I'm able to do...every life I save, I'm able to do that because of you. I honestly don't think Superman would exist without you."

She awarded him a smile, "Somehow I doubt you'd be able to stand by and not help when needed." She reached up to stroke his cheek.

"Yeah, maybe," He looked up at her, meeting her gaze slowly, "Lois, these past few months have been the best months of my life. I can’t imagine my life without you in it. You've been my best friend for so long. For a long time, I thought the scariest thing would be to let you in on what I thought to be the most dangerous secret known to man. You could have walked away, but you didn't." He stroked her cheek, and she felt a flutter in her stomach as she let him continue.

"You forgave me." He whispered, running his palm along her jawline. "I know it couldn't have been easy, and I know we've had our ups and downs these past months, but I want you to know how much I love you...how much I need you. Every day I wake up, and I still can't believe how lucky I am to have you in my life." He cracked a smile at her as he continued, "Even if you did try and push me out repeatedly in the beginning.

She laughed, toying with the collar of his shirt, "You were beginning to get to me. I wasn't very good at letting people in back then."

"I noticed." his eyes twinkled with laughter behind them, but his tone remained serious as he continued, "I love everything about you, Lois Lane. I love how passionate you get when trying to right a wrong that's been done. I love the way you never give up on anyone...even if they don't deserve it. I love your laugh, your smile...every tear and frown that makes you, you."

He ran his hand down her shoulder and smiled ruefully at her as he took her other hand in his. "I know there are probably a thousand reasons why I should just stop there…” His voice wavered slightly. “But I can't because..." he took a deep breath, "We agreed no more secrets. This is something I've wanted to ask for months now. I love you, Lois. I always have and I always will. I told you before I want forever, and I want it with you." He pulled out a small velvet box from his pocket.

“Clark,” She moved her hand to her mouth in surprise, uncertain how to process what was happening.

He opened the box and pointed it at her. The solitaire diamond stared back at her with a glimmer. She met his gaze, still trying to process what was happening when she heard him finally speak the six word phrase she knew to be coming. “Lois Lane, will you marry me?”

Teaser

“Clark,” She moved her hand to her mouth in surprise, uncertain how to process what was happening.

He opened the box and pointed it at her. The solitaire diamond stared back at her with a glimmer. She met his gaze, still trying to process what was happening when she heard him finally speak the six word phrase she knew to be coming. “Lois Lane, will you marry me?”

She could feel tears burning in the corner of her eyes as she gazed back at Clark. A proposal. He was proposing? A thousand thoughts raced through her mind as she tried to focus on the question before her. Marriage? Were they ready for something like that? Was she?

“I…” She found her voice behind the boulder-sized lump that had formed in the back of her throat, “I don’t know what to say.” She did her best to choose her words carefully, uncertain how to react, A part of her wanted to say ‘yes’ but the other part of her...the more logical part kept hounding her with all the doubts she carried inside after her recent failed marriage attempt.

He stood to his feet and stroked her cheek, looking at her with the same tenderness he always did. “You don’t have to say anything now.” He cracked a smile at her, “I know it’s still…”

“It just feels like...a lot.” She said, giving him a pleading look. “I love you. I just don’t know if we’re ready for that big of a step and with everything….”

“I understand,” He smiled at her, “Just think about it, okay?”

She felt a wave of relief hit her and nodded, “Okay,”

He leaned in to kiss her. She smiled against his lips, feeling the familiar flutter in the pit of her stomach as he pulled away. His eyes met hers for a moment, and she could tell he was debating internally before he spoke. He pointed to the telescope that was set up in the middle of the room, “This is one of the only places in the world where you can see both the northern and southern hemisphere stars at the same time.” He explained, adjusting the settings on the telescope for her to look in. “Take a look.”

She leaned forward, peering through the telescope to see the crystal gems reflecting back at her from the night sky. Each star shone with its own brightness. “This is incredible.” She smiled, looking up at him.

“Yeah, it is.” He smiled back at her, “Here, I want to show you something.” He pointed to the large glass pane window again. “You see the bright light there.” he pointed to the right.

“Yeah?” She nodded, leaning back against him as his arms wrapped around her from behind.

“That’s Jupiter.” He pointed to the bottom left and whispered, “That’s Mars.”

She smiled, feeling the heat from his breath against the nape of her neck. “No Venus?”

“Not at this time of the year.” He grinned back at her. “Right there?” he pointed to the corner of the glass pane, “That’s called the Southern Cross.” He looked up at her with a smile, “It’s one of the few places that you can see the entire constellation without going into the southern hemisphere...”

Perry White sat at his desk, staring at the two visitors in his office with a heavy sigh. Jimmy Olsen was standing in the corner of his office with two uniformed officers standing behind him. “I’m not sure I follow…” Perry let out a low sigh.

Mayson looked down at the report in her hand, “At nine-seventeen, Jimmy Olsen was let into the house to deliver a ‘Desk Friend’ to Mr. Borges and fifteen minutes later the housekeeper found Mr. Borges dead. Jimmy was the last to see him alive.” She stared coldly back at Perry.

“That doesn’t prove anything though, Mayson.” Perry pleaded with her. “You know Jimmy. He would never do something like this.”

“That’s why we’re having this conversation here and not downtown.” Inspector Henderson chimed in. “There’s a very solid case here against Jimmy. Now, I can hold off the Police Chief for seventy-two hours before I make an arrest but if I were you I’d look into finding a lawyer and try and figure out who might want to frame Mr. Olsen.”

“So you admit you think he’s being framed.” Perry pointed out.

“Yes, but if the DA says to press charges there isn’t anything we can do,” Mayson interjected. “The fact of the matter is there is a very solid case against Jimmy.”

“Okay, thank you,” Perry said, standing up.

“Don’t leave town,” Henderson warned, looking at Jimmy as he left.

“Chief!” Jimmy began stammering. “I would never…”

“I know that Jimmy,” Perry grunted, watching Mayson and Henderson leave. “Now look we’ve got a little time. Let’s pull our resources and start digging into what’s going on here.” He looked out into the newsroom, “Lois or Clark show up yet?”

“Uh, no,” Jimmy said warily, “Lois called earlier said they’d be a little late getting in. Jet lag.”

“Okay, when they get in. Have Lois and Clark come see me.” Perry ordered. “I’ll make some calls and get a lawyer from Legal to come down to talk to us.”

“Chief, I can’t afford…” Jimmy stammered.

“Just breathe, son,” Perry reassured him, patting him on the shoulder. “Breathe.”

TBC...

Comments go here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube