FDK goes here! smile

I hope y'all like. ^_^

~•~
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Queenie,

I'm glad you were able to come up with a challenge story, after all. And what a story!

So did this Clark pull a "Superman Returns" unknowing-deadbeat-Dad act? If so, where is the child during all of this? Or had Lois only been thinking about possible (not actual) consequences of their time together?

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, Lynn! laugh

I figure the kid is with a sitter while Lois has a word with a certain unknowing-deadbeat, but you can imagine something else if you prefer. smile

~•~
Kerth
Kerth
clap clap clap

Wow. I really loved this. Full disclosure, I actually love Superman Returns, in spite of its many flaws. But in less than a page you painted a better setup for that scenario than that entire movie. Bravo!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, Mouse! ^_^

Yeah, SR had a lot of cool moments and overall I enjoyed watching it, but the ending just left me incoherent with rage. splat

~•~
Features Writer
Features Writer
Great story!! clap

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, Cuidora! laugh

~•~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Great story! Very bittersweet! On the one hand, it's very hopeful for Lois and Clark's future. On the other...Clark's missed everything about his son or daughter. All the firsts - words, steps, laughs, smiles, kisses, hugs. I kept waiting for Clark to ask something along the lines of..."What name did you choose?" Something to confirm our suspicions about a child he unknowingly abandoned. Something to show he's eager to learn more. But perhaps it's best left to the imagination - the conversation to come at dinner.

Don't even get me started on SR. I get all the rage watching it. In fact, the ONLY thing I liked about it was Lex Luthor.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Let's see, five years have passed since Clark was close enough to Lois to have a personal conversation. How long did it take her to start looking? And how did she know to go to Prague? (I looked it up!) Is finding him a wild, million-to-one chance or the culmination of a plan? You could go either way, given her startled question at seeing him yet releasing her pent-up anger rapidly and sharply. And what at the sophisticated European folks doing while this madwoman slaps and snarls at this man who's behaving as if he deserves what's happening to him? Is someone going to call a cop to have one or both of them arrested? Or is everyone shrugging his or her shoulders and muttering "Crazy Americans" in a polyglot of tongues?

Is Superman still active? You very carefully don't say either way, only that Superman and Clark left Metropolis around the same time.

You hint at a child, but does that mean that Lois lives in the Czech Republic, or lives close enough to take day trips there? I know there's a great rail system in Europe. Is she still working in the media? Is the Superman Foundation giving her any support at all? For all the questions I have about this mini-vignette, it hits like a tank on a rampage. Great job.

Now, young lady, come back here and finish this beautiful heart-rending beast!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I second Terry's prompting: I loved it, and would like to read more...

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
5 years! Oh my! So glad Lois figured it out and found him and they can start over. I’m probably one of the only people who’ve never seen SR but I still enjoyed this very much.

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
These sorts of stories always leave me incredibly sad about all the lost time. That said, well done! You have evoked a grat balance of melancholy loss and hope for the future. And, as has already been observed, it paints a picture that leaves us wanting more! smile

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by mrsMxyzptlk
These sorts of stories always leave me incredibly sad about all the lost time. That said, well done! You have evoked a grat balance of melancholy loss and hope for the future. And, as has already been observed, it paints a picture that leaves us wanting more! smile

Hilariously enough, I was just thinking about this fic last night and wondering if I should add another part. wink

~•~
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Mary!

I can’t believe I missed this. Okay, I can believe it dizzy

Moldau

Like water under the bridge.
I was wondering if it’s about the river and what you would do with it…

Perhaps he shouldn't have left, that day.
During Heatwave? Or after Whine Whine Whine?

Perhaps he should have stayed and explained to Lois that whatever had happened could not happen again,
shock Did he and Lois? As Superman?

because Superman could not love her that way...even though he obviously did. Perhaps...he should stop beating himself up for things that happened while they were both under chemical influence.
wallbash I missed a *PML* fic? wallbash

No, he told himself, it was best if he just kept his distance...

“Clark?”
She tracked him down?

The voice sent a jolt down his spine. He turned, scanning the crowds that milled over the bridge before his eyes came to rest on a figure he'd only seen in dreams for the past five years. His throat went dry. “Lois?”
Five *years*? And is Lois there with her little just-over-four-years-old?

Before he could ask what she was doing there, she marched up to him and slapped him.
laugh

“YES!” she snapped. “You did!”

He studied her irate expression. “You know.”

“YES!” she snapped again. “I do!”
rotflol Does that also explain why he didn’t hurt her hand?

He glanced at the passing crowds again, then lowered his voice. “How?”
Residual effects from carrying a half-kryptonian baby, I’m assuming.

“Well,” she finally answered, “It's a very interesting story. See, at first I thought it was just a little odd that you and he left Metropolis around the same time...especially since, come to think, you also showed up around the same time.
Wait, how did he save the Earth from Nightfall if he left? And did Lois marry Lex or was the 7-months pregnancy weight a deal breaker?

She grabbed his tie. “But then one day, I started to think: what if somebody had to hide a baby of extra-terrestrial lineage?
Speaking from experience, huh?

Once I started following that train of thought, it eventually led me to your parents, and here we are.”
MARTHA: Don’t look at me like that, Clark. I *love* our little grandson to pieces.

“Why did you start to think like that?” he asked, turning around to join her in her contemplation of the horizon, and the huge river that vanished into it.

“One guess,” she hissed.
rotflol I was right? I was just sitting there, poking at the plot bear to see if it would move!

Clark froze. “I'm sorry,” he said. “I didn't think—I mean, I never meant to...” He sighed. “...Do you want to hit me again?”
rotflol

“I'll let you treat us to dinner, instead.” She paused. “And desert. And a tour of Prague. Make that an aerial tour.”
laugh I do wonder though, why didn’t she get him sooner? Or did it take her five years to realize the truth?
LOIS: I was mad, okay? (Am not admitting to this taking me five years, okay?)

She jabbed him in the chest. “And don't you EVER even THINK about running out on me again!”
She’ll have him chipped?

Behind them, the deep horn sounded again as the boat emerged from the other side, dwarfed by the water around it, all flowing under the bridge.
Water under the bridge! clap

What a cute start to a new series!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard