Bernie was a fair and decent person and he knew that he had been rude towards a man who's only actual crime was in having been victimized by his own trusted subordinates. It wasn't even reasonable to think that Kal-El should have seen his own attack coming, so why should Bernie lay the guilt of all that his clone had done at his feet? Add to the fact that Kal-El accepted Bernie's anger made it worse. If he would at least defend himself as a blameless party, Bernie could continue to hold onto his anger. If Bernie couldn't hold onto his anger, or even justify it, then he needed to apologize to Kal-El. Difficult to do, because it was hard to talk directly to Kal-El without feeling menaced - it was lizard-brain reaction and lizard-brain reactions tended to keep humans alive.

Martha had pulled him aside after the opening agenda to speak privately.

He has to trust us, Bernie – he is relying on us to safely see him through his ultimate goal – destroying an asteroid that threatens life on Earth. He needs to trust that we care about seeing him to safety after the threat to our world is gone. He knows this, but I haven't heard him express any fears about his own well-being. I'd wager he won't ever question whether or not we care about whether he lives or dies – he probably thinks he deserves to die for how he thinks he failed two worlds.

Of course, Martha had been correct in her admonishing, but it was still difficult for Bernie to forgive — because women he had loved — as friends, as sisters, as even potential hoped for more — many had been lost to the invasion — and while many had survived, they were shells of their former selves.

Kal-El was talking to a group of scientists — and while Bernie was sure they were underneath it all afraid in a visceral sense, because of course — the Kryptonian did look exactly like his clone, regardless that his his body language was welcoming and non-threatening, they were overcoming those fears to get their work done.

Bernie waited for his moment and then approached his quarry.

“Kal-El, do you have time to talk with me,” he asked , forcing himself to act normal and unafraid.

“At your convenience,” Kal-El responded with absolute politeness – it was unnerving this politeness, in stark contrast from the contemptuous cruelty his clone and ilk had displayed.

“Alone, if you please?”

An odd expression shuttered through Kal-El's gaze — one of confusion, and even… was that wistfulness? The vulnerability haunted Bernie – suddenly he realized how young Kal-El really was. Young enough to be Bernie's son.

“Of course — if you lead the way?”

Bernie stifled a chuckle at how Kal-El was continuing to efface himself — allowing others to walk in front — a position of power — and then suggesting that Bernie choose the venue — phrasing it as a question. Something else Martha said hit him full force. His own people would also treat him as if walking on egg shells after what they collectively endured at his clone's hands. Imagine that. He had political power over them, and they feared him because of his clone — because of things someone who looked like him did. He's born to lead — and yet he has to be cautious in how he expresses himself — he can never act on his childhood training — he had to reinvent himself to be acceptable to those who were reminded of a monster.

Bernie closed the door, wanting to make up for his outburst by showing some level of trust. He briefly realized that Kal-El might not feel safe — but then dismissed that as laughable. If Bernie wanted to use red-radiation, Kal-El could stop him from afar.

“I was rude to you , and I apologize.”

Kal-El looked a way for a moment, and then returned Bernie's gaze.

“I met my clone,” he said quietly. “ I understand.”

The stark truth in the Kryptonian's voice froze Bernie for a moment.

“You met him?”

“I had to prove that I was the real me in order to end the invasion. I walked into a room where he and other council members were meeting. I saw him and was on the receiving end of his hatred and anger – at least – emotionally. We used radiation emitters to disable everyone – including myself. Nonetheless, that moment was enough. I understand why you see him in me, and why that makes it difficult to trust that I do not mean any harm.”

“That's… awfully honest of you,” Bernie answered, feeling more of his fear slip away. As he spoke to Kal-El – his resemblence to the clone diminished. More than genetics made for a face – the remorse, the anguish – these transformed Kal-El's face into one that had suffered. A kindred sprit.

“It is the truth,” Kal-El sighed. “I saw him, he made me feel threatened… and knowing how many people had to interact with the monster wearing my face… my name… well, I understand how I will always be that monster – regardless of my good intentions.”

“Well… I don't see that monster now", Bernie said, reaching out a hand to shake Kal-El's.

Kal-El hesitated only briefly before he reached out to complete the handshake. He smiled – a hesitant and vulnerable expression, endearing himself further to the older scientist.

“I'll stay for dinner if you join in,” Bernie said. “If that would be acceptable to you.”

The hesitant smile grew to be less hesitant.

“I would like that.”

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence