A/N: The challenge was to craft a fic around the last song you heard. As it happened, my phone recently rang, and the ringtone is The Moldau by Smetana. It's a pretty piece, and I hope y'all enjoy the fic it led to. smile

----------

Like water under the bridge.

Clark looked down at the vast expanse of water spread before him, flowing endlessly down from the horizon to pass beneath the stone bridge on which he stood. A boat passed by, almost seeming the size of a toy compared to the enormous river. It was so much water.

Perhaps he shouldn't have left, that day. Perhaps he should have stayed and explained to Lois that whatever had happened could not happen again, because Superman could not love her that way...even though he obviously did. Perhaps...he should stop beating himself up for things that happened while they were both under chemical influence.

Clark sighed and leaned over the bridge's stone wall. If he was honest, he hadn't just come to Prague to punish himself: he'd come here to run away. It would be so easy to just continue what Miranda's spray had started, disgracing his suit by using Superman for personal gain. It would be so easy to tell Lois everything, nevermind the fallout once she fully realized what she'd done and with whom. No, he told himself, it was best if he just kept his distance...

“Clark?”

The voice sent a jolt down his spine. He turned, scanning the crowds that milled over the bridge before his eyes came to rest on a figure he'd only seen in dreams for the past five years. His throat went dry. “Lois?”

Before he could ask what she was doing there, she marched up to him and slapped him.

His hand rose up to his cheek but froze when he caught her glare. “I deserve that,” he said softly.

“YES!” she snapped. “You did!”

He studied her irate expression. “You know.”

“YES!” she snapped again. “I do!”

He glanced at the passing crowds again, then lowered his voice. “How?”

For a moment, she said nothing, just keeping that steady glare on him while she breathed deeply through her nose. “Well,” she finally answered, “It's a very interesting story. See, at first I thought it was just a little odd that you and he left Metropolis around the same time...especially since, come to think, you also showed up around the same time. But if he hadn't been on Earth until 1993, well, then that was probably nothing, right? Just you being a fanboy, maybe, leaving because he left...”

She grabbed his tie. “But then one day, I started to think: what if somebody had to hide a baby of extra-terrestrial lineage? What steps could that person take to make sure that kid had a normal childhood, without any unwanted attention from scientists, or the military, or even just the media? Once I started following that train of thought, it eventually led me to your parents, and here we are.” She let go of his tie, then, and came to stand next to him, folding her arms atop the stone wall and gazing out over the water.

“Why did you start to think like that?” he asked, turning around to join her in her contemplation of the horizon, and the huge river that vanished into it.

“One guess,” she hissed.

Clark froze. “I'm sorry,” he said. “I didn't think—I mean, I never meant to...” He sighed. “...Do you want to hit me again?”

She looked him over, seeming to size him up. “It's no fun hitting someone invulnerable,” she decided. “I'll let you treat us to dinner, instead.” She paused. “And desert. And a tour of Prague. Make that an aerial tour.”

He met her eyes. “Will you forgive me?”

She was silent for a while. A boat passed beneath them, giving a deep blast from its horn as it vanished under their feet. She sighed, dropping her arms from the wall. “Maybe,” she said quietly. “IF you make it up to me.”

“I will,” he pledged.

“You can start with that dinner,” she told him.

“Anywhere you like,” he said.

She jabbed him in the chest. “And don't you EVER even THINK about running out on me again!”

“Never,” he promised.

Behind them, the deep horn sounded again as the boat emerged from the other side, dwarfed by the water around it, all flowing under the bridge.

-END-

~•~