Clark stepped into the bullpen, bright and early the next morning. He should have been floating on air, he knew. This was it. He was living his dream. He was a real reporter, for one of the most respected newspapers in the entire world. He was finally where he was meant to be. But he just couldn’t muster up as much enthusiasm as the situation should have required. Not when he’d stood by and done nothing when that girl’s life had been in danger. His first assignment with the paper and he’d almost witnessed someone get killed.

He sighed. In time, he would find a way to push the images and the associated feelings of failure to the back of his mind. But not now. It was still too fresh in his mind.

"Morning, CK!" Jimmy greeted him, far too bubbly for Clark’s current mood to appreciate.

"Hey, Jimmy," Clark said, subdued.

"Whoa! Who let the wind out of your sails? Last I saw you, you were on top of the world, landing the job here," Jimmy said, concern flooding his features. “You look like you didn’t sleep a wink last night. Worried about the job? Because, it if helps, there’s nothing to stress over. Perry’s bark is way worse than his bite…most of the time. And everyone is pretty friendly, willing to help you if you need, and highly competent. Except, well – and you didn’t hear this from me – Ralph. Guy’s a real blowhard without the skills needed to be all that effective of a reporter, but he’s related to one of the bigwigs, so what can you do, right?”

"Oh, it’s not that. But I appreciate the information. I just had a rough night, that's all. I didn’t sleep too well."

"Hey, anything I can do to help?"

"It's nothing. I just...I couldn't stop thinking about the girl that got trapped in the theater demolition. Something fishy went on with it, and I'm going to find out what," he replied determinedly, setting his mouth in a hard line as his mind started to whirr on just how he was going to accomplish that.

The truth went deeper than that all too simple explanation, of course. Clark had tossed and turned most of the night. Thoughts of the girl and the peril she'd been in had replayed in his mind every time he’d closed his eyes, robbing him of sleep. And the few brief times he'd nodded off, his dreams had been even less forgiving than the apparitions that haunted his waking hours. In one dream, he'd stood helplessly by while she'd died. In another, he'd helped, but his secret had been exposed. He'd awoken in a cold sweat of fear just as government agents had cornered him, ready to tear him apart to see what gave him his powers. In the most disturbing one, he'd once more stood by without offering his aid. The girl survived, but she's approached him after her rescue. Her pleading, terrified eyes had bored into his soul as she'd asked him, "You could have saved me. Why did you let me suffer?"

Too afraid to go back to sleep, Clark had slipped out onto his narrow hotel room balcony. After a careful check, he'd flown off into the dark predawn air. For two hours, he'd circled Metropolis, trying to clear his head. When he'd returned to his room, just before the first rays of sunlight peeked over the horizon, he'd felt only marginally better. And he'd vowed to himself that, even if he hadn't done anything to help get her out of the collapsed building, he would do whatever it took to find out just what had gone wrong and ensure that justice was served.

"Kent?" The Chief's voice broke him out of his thoughts before Jimmy could respond. "Come to my office for a moment, would you?"

"Sure, Chief," Clark replied, dipping his head in acknowledgement as Perry walked by, a fresh, steaming cup of coffee in his hand.

"That was a hell of a first assignment you got yesterday," Perry said as they entered his office. "I'm sorry it turned out that way. And I didn't get to say anything yesterday - you were gone before I finished going over your articles – what you submitted to me last night? Top notch stuff. You keep it up and I see Kerths in your future."

"Thanks, Perry," Clark replied, touched. "I promise you, this is just the beginning for me."

Perry chuckled. "Good man. That being said, I think you may be onto something. It certainly doesn't feel like a mere accident. You are absolutely certain the demolition was called off before the charges were set off to detonate?"

"Positive, Chief," Clark said with a confident nod. "Whoever did it...it feels like it was done in blatant disregard for the order to stop. They were even told someone was in the building."

"Okay, I want you to chase this thing down. Find out exactly what happened."

"Thanks, Chief. I appreciate being trusted with it."

"Hey, it's your baby. You covered the initial story. This is yours, no matter what. Just, uh, one thing."

Clark looked at his boss, a little uncertainly. "What's that?"

"This is your first rodeo here. You have a lot of experience at the Gazette, that's true. But not in investigations. I'm going to partner you up with someone for this story, just until you get your feet wet, you understand?" Perry said in his soft Southern drawl.

"Of course," Clark said, nodding. "It makes sense. You have a certain way of running things here. What better way for me to learn the ropes?"

Perry looked pleased at his response. Happy as a pig in slop, Clark heard the memory of his father's voice whisper in his mind.

"I appreciate the understanding," Perry said.

"Who will I be working with?" Clark asked, curious now.

"The way I figure it, you might as well learn from the best," Perry replied, crossing the room to the door. He looked out. "Lois? Come here a second, would you?"

A minute passed, then a woman entered the room. Clark's eyes widened. His pulse skyrocketed. He felt in danger of floating as he took in the sight of her. The shoulder length bob. Twin chocolate eyes. Her petite frame. The confidence that exuded from her. Her poise - commanding and self-assured. The crisp maroon business suit - jacket and skirt - paired with a cream-colored blouse and non-nonsense black pumps.

It was in that moment that Clark Kent became a believer in love at first sight.

"What's up, Perry?" she asked as she entered, completely ignoring Clark as he stood by the red plaid couch Perry kept in his office.

"Your next assignment," Perry said, getting straight to the point. "And your new partner."

"Partner?" Lois asked, sounding offended. Her eyes narrowed as fire ignited in them.

"Lois Lane, this is Clark Kent. He's a new hire, come over to us from the Gotham Gazette."

"It's a pleasure meeting you," Clark heard himself say, still in a daze.

"A newbie?" Lois retorted, ignoring Clark. "Perry! You can't be serious!"

"Serious as a heart attack," the editor deadpanned. "Clark might be new to the Planet, but he's by no means new to the news business. He handled your assignment from yesterday. The Majestic Theater demolition. Which, I might add, turned out to be quite the story, with that girl getting trapped when the building went down."

"And?" Lois replied, apparently knowing there was more Perry was going to say.

"And now you're going to work with him on a follow-up investigation."

"On an accident?" Lois asked. "Come on, Perry. There has to be something better to work on."

"It wasn't an accident," Clark interjected. "The crew was told not to blow the charges, and that someone was still inside. And someone did anyway. I'm going to find out why."

"You're going to help him," Perry added. "It's his first investigation with the paper, and I want you to work with him. Show him how we do things here."

"But, Perry..."

She didn't get a chance to finish her protest.

"Now, Lois. You're the best reporter I've got. Clark here...he's got the talent. He just needs the guidance. I want him to learn from the best, you hear me?"

"I..." She sighed. "Fine. But don't say I'm not a team player," Lois conceded. Her words felt loaded though, as though she'd recently been told that she didn't play well with others.

"Good. Now get out there, you two, and bring me back some Page One news," Perry commanded them, a glint in his eyes.

They both left the editor's office, Clark allowing Lois to lead the way. As they wound their way to their desks, Jimmy stopped them. He had a copy of the morning edition tucked neatly under one arm. He smiled brilliantly as he caught sight of them.

"CK! Way to go, my man! First day on the job and you snagged the front page! Man, I wish I’d gotten a look at the paper before I saw you earlier."

Clark gaped and Lois looked livid.

"What?" they both asked together, each of them shocked, though Lois' voice held a note of anger too.

"You haven't seen the morning edition yet? Here, check it out," Jimmy replied, handing Clark the paper he'd been carrying.

Clark took the paper and unfolded it. There, in bold print, was the headline to his story and, in a smaller typesetting, his byline. On the front page. Clark felt the world tilt on its axis, throwing his entire life into a new dimension. The front page. He'd never had a Page One article before in his life. He'd come close, having a few stories that had landed on the second or third page, but most of what he'd reported on had, by chance, been smaller, less important events.

Clark looked again at the page, scanning the words at super speed. It was all there. Every last word and punctuation mark that he'd written. And, he noted with satisfaction, a number of Todd's photos had made the cut as well. Even Clark's sidebar piece had made it into the paper.

"CK?" Jimmy asked, when Clark failed to speak. "You okay there?"

Clark blinked and shook his head a little, bringing himself back to the present. "Huh? Yeah, I'm fine. It's just...the front page. I can't believe it."

"What, don't tell me this is new? Not with writing like yours." The surprise and puzzlement on Jimmy’s face spoke volumes.

"Actually, it is new. I was one of the overseas reporters at the Gazette," Clark hastily explained. "Front page stuff was rare for us, so it just never panned out for me."

"Well, then this is all the more reason to be proud," Jimmy beamed, while Lois folded her arms across her chest.

Clark chuckled a little, mostly because he was nearly giddy from the morning's events. First, he was given the green light to pursue an investigation, then he was paired with Lois Lane - of all the talented reporters out there! - and now he'd discovered he'd made the front page. Could life get any better than this? he wondered. He tried to hand Jimmy the paper back.

"Thanks for the head's up, Jimmy. I really appreciate it."

Jimmy refused the paper. "You keep it, CK. You should definitely frame that or something."

"Maybe," Clark said with a laugh.

Lois’ expression was dark with anger. Her look reminded Clark of the sky when a storm came rolling in, complete with the distant crack of foreboding thunder and far off flashes of lightning.

"Catch you later," Jimmy said as he continued on, to whatever task awaited him first thing in the morning. Clark had to wonder if part of Jimmy’s haste to leave had anything to do with Lois’ annoyed body posture.

"The front page, huh?" Lois asked as they reached their desks. She may have meant it to sound casual, but the words came out as almost mocking, in a way. "The Chief put you on the front page, but still thinks I need to be partnered up with you?" She silently fumed as Clark shrugged. "This is to get back at me," she decided after a long moment.

"For what?" Clark asked, surprised.

"For ditching the theater story yesterday for the hostage situation," she replied, her tone slow and deliberate, like she was talking to a child, incapable of understanding her.

"I'm sure that's not the case," Clark said. "And I really do want to learn. Like Perry said, it might be for the best. To be honest, I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to learn from you, of all people. I've been following your work for years. Maybe since you started writing for the paper. I've always been impressed with your ability to crack cases open. You’re the best reporter I’ve ever seen…even if only from a distance."

Lois seemed to brighten and puff herself out a little at the compliment.

"What'd you say your name was again?" she asked for a moment.

"Clark. Clark Kent."

"Kent...Kent...where have I heard that name before?" Lois pondered for a moment. Clark could practically hear the wheels turning in her mind as she fought to place his name.

"That's easy," purred a voice from behind Clark. A tall, scantily clothed woman sauntered around to stand in the aisle between the two. "He's Bruce Wayne's most recent...roommate." She said the word in such a way as to imply that she believed there was more to their relationship than just mere friendship. "Cat Grant, by the way. Very nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too," Clark managed, fighting down a blush. He supposed it was inevitable, someone knowing his past life of luxury living at Wayne Manor, but he'd hoped to make a name for himself at the paper and prove his worth before anyone put two and two together.

Lois snapped her fingers as she recalled that information. "Right! You surfaced out of nowhere and Bruce adopted you into his family. Now I know why your face looks so familiar. You used to be on the Gazette's society page all the time with all those galas and charity functions."

"You read the Gazette?" Clark asked.

"You read the society page?" Cat asked in the same instant. "Reading about what you'll never have, I suppose," she baited Lois. "You know. A social life,” she added dismissively.

Lois gave Cat a withering look, but bit back whatever retort was burning on the end of her tongue. Clark could see it took great effort for Lois not to take the bait and he was silently impressed. Most women he’d met wouldn’t have had such restraint.

"Bruce didn't adopt me," Clark said, in an effort to cut the tension. "We became friends and he opened his doors to me when I had nowhere else to go."

Lois thought this over for a moment. "What are you doing at the Planet?" she finally asked.

"My job," Clark replied, confused. "Same as you."

Lois shook her head. "That's not what I meant."

"Who cares?" Cat asked. "Are you really going to question things when the view just got so much more...enticing?" She slid a little closer to Clark. Ignoring Lois now, she spoke exclusively to him. "Listen. You're new in town, right? If you'd like, I could take you around. Show you all of my favorite...spots."

Clark discreetly moved back a step. He didn't like the underlying sexual advances Cat was attempting to make. It wasn't that he didn't appreciate women who took the initiative, who knew what that wanted and went after it. But he wasn't comfortable at all with the way Cat seemed focused merely on his looks and - probably - his assumed wealth.

"Ah, that's really okay, Ms. Grant. I appreciate the offer but I'm sure I'll manage on my own," he politely declined.

A look of surprise shot through Cat's eyes.

Must not be used to being turned down, he figured.

"Well," she said coolly, deftly saving face, "if you change your mind..." She shrugged, leaving the invitation open. "You know where to find me."

She sauntered away, back to her desk, swaying her hips with extra emphasis as she went. Perhaps she was hoping the movement would entice him and lure him into having a relationship with her – even if the relationship was merely a psychical one. Clark simply shook his head. Her kind of woman was not unknown to him. He’d turned down every one he'd ever met. They hadn't been right for him. And neither was Cat. But Lois! Lois was a woman who he very much wanted to get to know better.

He turned to her. "So, partner, where do we start?"

"Oh no! Don't you 'partner' me!" Lois said. "There is you and there is me. We are not partners, despite what Perry thinks."

"Well, for the duration of this investigation, we are," Clark replied with a smile, letting her know he wasn't trying to give her a hard time. He sighed. "To be honest, all of this is new to me. When I worked at the Gazette, I was constantly on the move, covering whatever I was told to cover. I never got the chance to really delve in and investigate. I know that maybe you don't like the idea of being paired with a green reporter, but, well, I'm glad Perry assigned us to work together. I want to be the best reporter I can. That means learning from the best. You."

Lois studied him for a moment. "You...you actually mean that?"

He nodded. "I do. I wasn't lying when I said I've always followed your work. Getting to work with you on my first real investigation is...I couldn't have asked for a better mentor."

"Um...thanks," Lois said, a little uncomfortably. "But let's get something straight. You might be a spoiled little rich kid, but I am the one who's worked her butt off to get where I am in my career. This might be your investigation, but I'm the one in charge, got it?"

"Got it," Clark replied. "You call the shots."

"Good," she said with a nod. "I'm not going to risk my reputation just because I have to train some green reporter."

"You won't," Clark promised, trying not to let her anger get to him. But every barb about him potentially dragging her reputation as a reporter down hurt a little more. "I'm not useless, Lois. I've already started some of the footwork on this. And clearly the Chief thinks my writing is good enough to be Page One material. You can relax. I'm capable of pulling my own weight on this assignment."

She nodded again, curtly. "Good. Prove it."

"I will," he vowed, retreating to his computer chair.

He logged into his computer, doing his best not to let Lois' words hurt him. But they did. She'd already decided that she didn't like him, simply because Perry had partnered them up. He guessed it was a pride issue. Lois was obviously the type who prided herself on flying solo, accomplishing great investigations on her own, winning Kerths she didn't have to share with anyone else. If he had to make a guess about her personal life, he thought she might be the same there too – used to doing things on her own. It made him indescribably sad, to think of Lois as someone who felt she needed to go through life alone.

Of course, he reasoned, he could be very, very wrong in his theory. Only time would tell.

"Lois?" he called out after a few minutes, scrolling through his email. "I've got something here."

Lois looked up from her own work, with perhaps a little interest on her face. "What's that?" She stood and walked over to his desk.

Clark sat back in his chair a little. "When I was at the theater yesterday, I struck up a conversation with an Inspector Henderson. He's the one I told when I happened upon the girl inside the theater."

Lois nodded. "I know Henderson. He's a good cop."

Clark nodded in turn. "He seems like it. He sent me some information on the girl."

Lois scooted in a little closer to peer at his screen and Clark's heart rate jumped at the close proximity.

"Tiffany Bronson. Age 18. In stable condition at Met Gen," she read aloud, skimming the email for the most important information. "Press conference this afternoon at one-thirty." She looked at Clark. "It's not much, but it's a start. Not bad, rookie."

Clark allowed himself a smile at the minor compliment. "Thanks."

"But don't get cocky," she warned him.

Clark threw up his hands in a gesture of pacification. "Wouldn't cross my mind."

"All right, let's get started. There's plenty of time before the press conference," Lois went on. "We should be able to come up with something before then."

"I agree. Where you do want to start?" He figured he couldn't go wrong with letting her take the lead. Perhaps it would help take the barbs out of her demeanor, if he deferred to her experience.

Lois thought for a moment. "I know a few sources. I'll call around and see if anyone knows anything."

"Tiffany seemed rather attached to the theater," Clark mused aloud. "Like maybe she’d performed there or something. I'll do a bit of digging and see if I can come up with a connection."

Lois nodded. "Okay."

She walked away, going back to her desk. Clark got busy with his computer. The first thing he did was to check the theater's website. He carefully read through every link, but found no mention of Tiffany. Whatever her connection to the place was, he wasn't going to find it here. He was about to click out of the site when he noticed that he'd skipped a link. He dragged his mouse over and opened the hyperlink.

"Interesting," he murmured to himself.

The page he was looking at was a dedication to a Fiona Bronson-Wilder, who had died the previous year. He read with interest as the dedication waxed poetic about the woman, who'd been a part of the theater for nearly thirty years, acting in almost every play during that time. Things started to make sense in Clark's mind. Fiona had to be Tiffany's mother. The picture of her looked like an older version of the girl Clark had seen the day before. The dedication went on to talk about how Fiona had grown up in the theater, with her parents having been heavily involved it in, and how her daughter, Tiffany, had also grown up in the theater by default.

"No wonder she was so upset," he said as he read.

The theater had been a part of her. And now that part had been ripped away. It had been a place that reminded her of her family. Clark could relate to that. He'd lived through something similar when he'd been forced to see his family home taken away after his parents had died. He'd felt the same shattering of the ties to his past when he'd been shipped off to Grandma Tildy's - far from Smallville, where he'd grown up.

"Okay," Lois called over after a moment. "I've left messages for my sources. Let's hope one of them has something we can use. What about you? Find anything?"

"Actually, yeah," Clark replied. "When I was there yesterday, I was wondering why she was so upset about the demolition. Now I know why."

"What've you got?" Lois asked, sounding curious.

"Her mother," Clark replied. "Her mother and her grandparents, to be exact. All of them were heavily involved in the theater. That building was probably just as much a home for her as her actual home."

Lois frowned. "It's a start. Not much of one, but it's a start."

"The mother died last year," Clark went on. "The Majestic probably felt like one of the last tangible connections Tiffany had to her. Losing it would have been devastating. It explains why she was inside, at any rate. My guess is she went to say goodbye to the place. Get one last, final memory of being inside."

"That's a lot of guessing there," Lois said, sounding less than totally convinced.

Clark shrugged. "We can confirm it if she allows us to interview her. The important thing is, we found a connection. And I'm curious about the mother. Her last name is hyphenated. Bronson-Wilder. Looks like she probably remarried at some point."

"So?"

"So...I feel like I saw the name 'Wilder' somewhere." He clicked around a bit, then froze when he found what he was looking for. "Got it!" he announced. "Gary Wilder was the owner of the Majestic. I think we should pay him a visit."

Lois grabbed her purse with a tight smile. "What are we waiting for?"

To Be Continued…

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon