Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tarkas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm way out of touch with what's going on in the comics, so it was rather surprising to see the cover of issue #37 of the current Batman run featuring the eponymous grump, Catwoman, Superman and Lois with the screamer "Double Date". I had to look at it after that! I mean, I knew Bruce had proposed to Selina, but last I heard, Lois had been retconned into insignificance in favour of Wonder Woman. Now, apparently, sense has prevailed and L&C are back together and married again, as they should be.

The story itself is entertaining, involving L&C&S&B (hey, that's almost the title of one of my fics! laugh) on a double date to an amusement park, which initially won't let them in because it's a special superhero fancy dress evening, and they're not properly attired. They get round this, after forceful persuasion by the ladies -- Bruce, as I said earlier, is a real grump all through the story -- by switching identities: Clark and Bruce exchenge costumes, Selina gives Lois hers and wears Lois' outfit instead, getting past the nerdish guy on the gate by sheer Cat-presence (I think she should have brandished a notepad and/or portable tape recorder and gone as Lois Lane :D).

Inevitably, "wacky hijinks"(TM) ensue, allowing Bruce and Clark to do their hero thing -- Bruce more than Clark, but this is a Batman comic, I guess. Actually, that's my main gripe about the story: it is so obviously a showcase for Bruce to demonstrate how he's so much better than everyone else (with the possible exception of Selina), and especially Clark the boy scout/hayseed. It's a Bat-fan's rant about how Batman can beat Superman blah-blah-blah, and it spoils the story IMO. Someone who, like me, read Superman-Batman tema ups right from the early days, will never agree with the modern dismissal of the Man of Steel as a naive fool, but that's another discussion.

Having said that, it did rather remind me of Chris Dee's Cat-Tales (except that Bruse is far too grumpy the whole time) and that could be taken as a compliment because Chris' stuff is very, very good -- one of the best fan portrayals of the Bat-characters out there, though she, too, goes in for the ineffectual Superman characterisation by contrast to UberBruce. It's one of the few flaws her work has, again IMO.

Anyway, FoLCs could well enjoy an amusing story, and one which has our favourite couple as a couple, so if you're that way inclined, pick up a copy.

Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox at times...
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hello Tarkas,

It looks like you gave up on the comics during the "New 52" era. I did, too. But I started again with the Rebirth era and have rarely been disappointed in any of the Superman, Action Comics, and Super Sons comics I have read. They have sort of gone back to the Byrnes/post-Byrnes era version of Superman. I won't get into what I mean by "sort of," since doing so would result in spoilers. But the fact that Dan Jurgens is regularly writing one of the comics should tell you that Clark Kent is in good hands.

If you have the time, money, and inclination, I would encourage you to read everything from Convergence: Superman on. Convergence: Superman starts to explain the bridge between the New 52 version of Superman and the current one. You might not understand a lot of what is happening in the action portion of it, but it is our first glimpse into what will be the current version of the character.

You are in for some fun reading. smile

Joy,
Lynn

P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
To get caught up, you don't really need to read all the N52 Superman stuff after convergence, actually I'd recommend you don't, because the Truth storyline is just terrible...

Rebirth Superman 'how it happened' reading order:
Convergence: Superman #1&2 (how they got to the new world and what happened to the old one..sorta)
Superman: Lois & Clark (2015) #1-8 (what they've been doing in the new world)
Superman: The Final Days of Superman (the Trade Paperback collects the issues from 4 different series that make this up this storyline. It's optional, but fills in some holes about what happened to N52 Superman and how the JL met Rebirth Superman)
Justice League (2011) #52 (how Luthor is reacting to the death of N52 Superman)
Superman: Rebirth (2016) One-Shot
Action Comics (2016) #957-962

After that, you can read anything until the Superman Reborn event where Action Comics and Superman crossover and basically retcon the N52 Superman out of ever having existed, lol.

I am REALLY enjoying the Rebirth Superman stuff. I saw 2 comments on the net once: 1st person- but Superman's a dad now... 2nd person- yeah, but he makes it look like so much fun!
Those 2 comments pretty much describe him in Rebirth. He's a husband madly in love, a father loving and training his superpowered son, a friend and helper to the JL, and it's all done with really beautiful artwork I'm really appreciating!

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi PuffyTiger,

As I mentioned before, I am enjoying the new run of Superman comics. Just a heads-up: There will be a change in writers on both Superman and Action Comics. Brian Michael Bendis will be the new writer for both books.

I've never read anything by him and don't know what to expect. I am nervous about one author taking on both books; in essence having to write a new book each week. I think it would be a rare writer who could manage that quantity while maintaining quality. I definitely plan to give his work a fair shake, but I am nervous. I'll also be sad to see Dan Jurgens leaving; as Bibbo might say, "He's my fav'rit."

Joy,
Lynn

P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
Hi Lynn!

I know...I'm a bit worried about that too. I read an interview with him a few days ago, and he sounds really excited about the move to DC, but he also seems to have a ton on his plate. Both Superman books, his own indy comic worlds and "being as additive as I can" to the rest of the DC universe. It's got me kinda holding my breath to see what exactly that means... I've been loving the current run so much, I really kinda hate to see it change.

Here's the interview link if you're interested: https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhu...ustom-imprint-at-dc-comics/#41ae12a15c40

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi PuffyTiger,

Thanks for posting that link. I had read the article already, but there might be some interested lurkers who have not. Your reaction to it was the same as mine. Overall, I am cautiously optimistic. I will be sad to see the end of the current runs, but I am eager to see what the future will bring on these titles.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard