Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#278564 01/17/18 08:33 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Clark Kent has been committed to a mental health facility.

Why? Is he there wrongly--framed, or mistaken for a patient? Is he undercover, like Nellie Bly in her famous Blackwell Island expose'? Or did he actually snap at some point?

What kind of place is he in? Is it a top-of-the-line, modern hospital? Or is he in Arkham Assylum for the Criminally Insane?

Who is he there as? Do the doctors believe they are treating Clark Kent, Superman, both at once (i.e. they know), or someone else altogether (i.e. a false or wrong identity)?

Will he suddenly get the urge to fight Batman?

evil

~•~
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Oooh. I like this.

My take is an alternate version of Strange Visitor: The lie detector indicated that Clark Kent was telling the truth when he answered that he was Superman. Clearly, this glasses-wearing reporter couldn't possibly be Superman, and yet he believed himself to be. After verifying that the lie detector was working properly -- and even trying again with a different lie detector -- it was determined that Kent did, indeed, hold this obviously-counterfactual belief.

Rather than putting those close to him in danger by revealing the truth, Clark permitted himself to be committed and wound up going to the same facility in which Wandamae Waldecker was a patient.

While there, he taught himself how to control his body's functioning in such a way that he could pass a subsequent lie detector test and he faked out the attending psychiatrists so that they believed him "cured" and he was eventually released.

N
Features Writer
Features Writer
N
Oooh. What if he lost his powers permanently and ended up committed for insisting he *was* Superman?

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
After Nightfall would work too. Maybe Superman is insisting he's Clark. Maybe Clark is insisting he's Superman, but everyone thinks he's suffering from issues stemming from being hit by the car.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yes! I like this.

Kerth
Kerth
NO. No more plot bunnies. Just... No.

But dang, if this isn't my kind of twisted. devil Please someone else take this on. What if Lois is the one who has him committed? Because her partner's losing his marbles and she's in so much denial about him being Superman that there's just *no way* he's telling the truth. Besides, she's seen him bleed. And whenever she'd been suspicious before, he always threw her off track, proved that he wasn't Superman. Why would he suddenly change his tune? Why should she ever believe him?

If we went the Superman thinks he's Clark route, it could go back to one of the body-snatchers things I think we've batted around here before-- Superman is crazy, but he does look a lot like Clark Kent. When and how did he take over Clark's identity? Where did the real Clark Kent disappear to? How many more times will this alien steal people's lives?

The darker iteration is that Superman sees bad stuff happen every day; it's not a far stretch to say something made him crack. We know he's mentally susceptible to the same things as humans. Who knows what could push him over the edge?

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I have a polt idea involving Alt Clark but don't think I can do it alone

Thanks for the love
Thanks for the guidance
Thanks for the TARTAN PRIDE HA!

Can't Stop Me Now - Rod Stewart - Time 2013
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hmmm...what if Clark gets committed as a delusional stalker. Lex could set it up either during the height of his power or after his resurrection. Especially in season one, he could surely make up evidence that Clark is stalking and a danger to Lois Lane. Lex might even set things up so Lois herself becomes convinced/creeped out. Then, maybe even renowned psychiatrist Arianna Carlin could be called as an expert witness after examining him. In the end, it would come down to revealing who he is by breaking out or relying on hope and friends to solve this thing. And if Lex uses his influence to superproof the room/cell with a bit of kryptonite, Clark would be in even more trouble.

"Committed to Love" evil

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Michael,

Consider the way Clark hung out just outside of Lois's window in the pilot, it could easily be argued that Clark was, in fact, stalking her.

Hmmm... What if Lex somehow managed to get a hold of some poor quality video footage of that incident. He wouldn't be able to see Clark's face, but who else but Superman could possibly do what the stalker did? Clearly, Superman must be committed!

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Challenge accepted and written. In the beta phase now, but stay tuned! devil

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally Posted by Mouserocks
The darker iteration is that Superman sees bad stuff happen every day; it's not a far stretch to say something made him crack. We know he's mentally susceptible to the same things as humans. Who knows what could push him over the edge?

I just had a mental flash of the series finale for M*A*S*H - hmmmm...

Last edited by Anne Spear; 10/25/19 10:45 PM.

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, I've started posting my answer to the challenge! 24 parts in all. I'd say enjoy but... devilsplat

Erased TOC

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

D
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
D
GAH! Plot bunny attack! wildguy

If this plot bunny completely matures to allow the story to see the light of day: it will be going the Nellie Bly route.

Although the comment made about M*A*S*H is possibly going to take it in another route... peep

Not all those who wander are lost.

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard