Story is Here.

Comments and questions go here.

~•~
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
rotflol

I think Clark has some 'splainin' to do. I wish I could be a fly on the wall to observe Lois's reaction.

Thanks for obliging with this installment; I'm already looking forward to the next one.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
That was fast laugh

Evil... too. Leaving us there devil

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Top Banana
Top Banana
I loved the teaser especially the cliffhanger, but of course I love most of your cliffhangers. One question, I got the impression from 'Expected Twist' that Clark got the kids when they were very young and in this part of the story they are old enough to walk/run. I was surprised that they would have recognized Lois as I envisioned them being infants when Wells brought them to Clark especially when he mentioned that they were so young. Just surprised me thats all.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by Mike M
I loved the teaser especially the cliffhanger, but of course I love most of your cliffhangers. One question, I got the impression from 'Expected Twist' that Clark got the kids when they were very young and in this part of the story they are old enough to walk/run. I was surprised that they would have recognized Lois as I envisioned them being infants when Wells brought them to Clark especially when he mentioned that they were so young. Just surprised me thats all.

Mike

I figure if the elder child was about 3 or 4, then she'd be just old enough to remember Mommy but young enough to not understand the finer points of time-travel and alternate-universe counterparts. wink

~•~
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Queen of the Capes
I figure if the elder child was about 3 or 4, then she'd be just old enough to remember Mommy but young enough to not understand the finer points of time-travel and alternate-universe counterparts. wink

So Clark just got 'custody' of the kids recently? That would explain how she understood 'Mommy'. I just envisioned Clark gaining custody when they were smaller.

Thanks

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Oh, this is excellent. I loved the part about Clark, Cat, and the HR department. If I'd been drinking something, it would have been spit out. Luckily I've learned not to consume things when reading your stuff.

I know that Lois will figure out that Clark is Superman, but like others I'd love to see that actually happen. And then she'll realize that her counterpart - their late bio mom - was married to Clark's analog. So what does she think Clark will expect her to do now? Marry him? Move in with him? Start a relationship or watch him move away from Metropolis? Talk about pressure.

And how will she handle knowing The Secret? How will Clark handle her knowing? When will the little girl scream "MOMMY!" or "DADDY!" at the top of her voice in the middle of the newsroom? How will they handle their coworkers knowing about the kids, and how will they explain the unmistakable resemblance to both Lois and Clark?

I still want to know what happened to the kids' parents and whether that threat (assuming it wasn't an accident) will come for a visit.

This is nowhere near finished. Keep them coming!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Part Two is now up. I expanded the teaser into a two-parter, and I'm going to have further installments just be shorts in the series. Many thanks to everyone who commented and kept my muse motivated, and the FoLCs in Google Hangouts who helped me brainstorm!

~•~
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
This is a really interesting story. I like how Clark didn't demand anything of Lois, and I like how Lois came up with a compromise way to relate to the daughter without grudgingly taking on the role of her mother and without breaking the little girl's heart. I'm wondering, though, about what Lois told her at the end about helping Clark take care of her while her mother is gone. I'd be really reluctant to say anything to a child about their late parent without finding out how the death was explained to the kid. She makes it sound like the girl's mom is coming back, but she's not.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
MrsMxyzptlk, thanks for commenting! laugh

You bring up a good point about Lois implying the mother could come back. I'm not sure whether or how to address that issue later on; maybe it'll lead to drama, maybe it'll get swept under the rug off-screen.

~•~
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I kind of assumed that it would get swept under the rug because working it into the story would be overly heart-wrenching.

Lois claiming to be the girl's aunt is a good deflection. It explains why she looks like her mother and lets her interact with the girl and be a family friend without the pressure of parental responsibility. When the kids are older and can understand the whole interdimensional travel thing, then Lois and Clark can explain why "Aunt Lolo" looks just like Mom.

The whole thing makes me wonder, though, whether the girl was told or understands that Clark is not the same Daddy she had before. Given her reaction to Lois, I expect that even if she was told that her parents died and that Clark is a "copy" of Daddy, she doesn't actually understand all that. It's a lot to dump on a 4-year-old. (Er, somehow I assumed she was 4, but going back and looking, you don't actually give an age. Meh, it's a lot for anyone, even if she's 2 or 3 or 5.)

And who better than Clark to take in kids who are not originally his and then accept that they're really his children? He of all people knows that a kid doesn't have to be born to their parents to be their kid.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by mrsMxyzptlk
(Er, somehow I assumed she was 4, but going back and looking, you don't actually give an age. Meh, it's a lot for anyone, even if she's 2 or 3 or 5.)

Yeah, ages are one of my weak points in writing, though I've been trying to get better at it. I figure about 4, give or take a year: old enough to still remember her Mommy after at least several months, young enough to be unable to fully understand.

~•~
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Aaaand here we go again…
“Your date canceled on you?”

Lois glanced pointedly at the phone Clark had just set back on its cradle.
I know that’s late in the game, but I just realized that Clark also has kids. I wonder if that will be enough for Lois to connect the dots.

He lifted his head from his hands, looking for all the world like a man on the brink of despair.

“Worse,” her partner mumbled. “My babysitter.”
shock Oops!

She reached over to give him a sympathetic pat on the shoulder. “Parents not in town?”
jawdrop She knows! Or is that the first she hears of it but doesn’t care enough about his private life to wonder about his single-dadded-ness.

“Want to try asking Cat, again?” she asked, grinning.
/flashes to the babysitter scene from The Incredibles/

It had been two months since the Planet's newest reporter had tried to offer Cat money for a huge personal favor. Someone in the newsroom had overheard,
rotflol

apparently resulting in Clark having to have a very awkward conversation with the HR department.
Clark probably was confused the entire time why that was a *very* inappropriate thing to offer to an adult instead of…say…a 16-y/o.

On the plus side, the Planet's upcoming daycare facility had gotten bumped up from “pipe dream” to “possibly within this lifetime”.
Good in case Lois ever happens to find herself in that sort of way after a too long date with Superman?

Lois shook her head, suddenly remembering yesterday's conversation with Superman and the stunning revelation about his own little “technically-adopted” family.
jawdrop Just yesterday? Oh my!

“I could bring pizza,” Lois offered. She frowned. “Um, do your kids eat pizza?”

“I don't know,” Clark answered, nervously.
Up until now, they’ve dieted on sunlight and apples.

Lois snorted. “As if we're making much progress anyway,” she groused. “At least we can try, right? I mean, it'll be better than nothing.”
[Linked Image] I totally forgot from the last part. They might kind of grow attached.

“Shh!” He pressed a finger to his lips, then took the pizza box from her hands. “The kids are asleep.”
Foul! Foul!

“Well, you know,” he said softly. “Early to bed, early to rise—”
Should be awkward. Kids tend to wake up sometimes and wander around in search of water.

The light clicked on. Lois blinked, nearly blinded by the sudden illumination. A little girl in a pink nightgown stood at the mouth of a short hallway, staring at Lois with wide eyes.
hyper [Linked Image]

“MOMMY!” She launched herself at Lois like a tiny, dark-haired missile.
rotflol

Lois stared at the girl now wrapped around her legs. She stared at Clark, whose face was now buried in his hands. “Clark!” she demanded. “Explain this. Now.”
clap Umm…Lana was also coloring her hair brunette and had it cut in a page cut style?

“Okay. I...okay.” He met her eyes again, looking resigned. “Some time ago, a man came to me; he was from a world very much like our Earth...”
Yeah, she’s soooo not going to make that connection.

[Linked Image]

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard