Previously, on O Brother, Where Art Thou?

From Part 18:

“No, really,” said Clark. “I never meant to hurt you, and I'm sorry that I did. I just can't believe that you got married and didn't tell me!"

Lois stared at him with an odd expression. “What?”

“What?” Clark echoed, feeling confused.

She tilted her head. “Me getting married? What are you talking about?”

Clark tried to figure out where the thought had come from. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he felt something vaguely like radio static. A few words managed to break through:

...YOU'RE...ON...YOUR...HONEYMOON?!

Part 19

Michel stared, dumbstruck, at Clark's young coworker. The noise of the crowded newsroom made it that much harder for him to process what he'd just learned. Clark and Miss Lane were on a honeymoon?!

“I mean, I could take a message to him, if you want,” Jimmy Olsen continued, obliviously.

“Er, no, thank you,” Michel stammered, shaking his head. “I should probably just...” Just what? Drop in again, some other time? Call Clark later to congratulate him on his nuptials? Two weeks ago, they had been the best of friends, connected on a level he was sure they hadn't yet grasped the depths of. Now, Michel was so completely cut off from Clark's life that he hadn't even known that the man had gotten married!

“I...should just...go.” This had been a mistake. He'd told himself that he should at least give Clark a proper goodbye, but he was clearly just trying to scramble back over a bridge that was already in flames.

The phone on Clark's desk rang. Young Mr. Olsen gave him an apologetic shrug before reaching down to answer it. “Well, okay. Hi, you've reached the Daily Planet...”

Michel turned and began picking his way towards the elevator, trying his best not to get in anyone's way. He was about half-way up the ramp when Mr. Olsen suddenly shouted his name.

“Dr. Renaud?! It's for you! It's Clark!”

He turned around, nearly colliding with a preoccupied journalist. “What?”

Mr. Olsen stood by Clark's desk, holding the phone receiver aloft and beckoning him back. Michel obliged. “He just asked me if there'd been any calls from you,” the younger man explained. “What a coincidence, huh?”

“Yes,” Michel agreed absently while accepting the phone. He lifted it to his ear. “Hello?”

“Michel?!” exclaimed a voice he'd thought he would never hear again. “What are you doing at the Planet?!”

“I came to see you,” Michel replied. “But, how did you know that I...?” He trailed off. There was only one plausible explanation for how Clark had known he'd been trying to get in contact with him.

“Gut feeling,” Clark said, confirming his suspicions. “So, why did you want to see me?” He paused. “Is everything okay?”

“...No,” Michel said quietly. Suddenly, it took every ounce of strength to keep from breaking down right at Clark's desk and causing a scene. He took a deep breath. “I...I had wanted to say goodbye one last time, and doing it over the phone just did not feel right.”

“Michel—” Clark began.

“But I can't,” he continued. “I can't say goodbye. Clark, I have been such an idiot! It has been hurting so much not to have you in my life anymore, and when I came here and found out that you and Miss Lane had gotten married, I realized that missing out on your life felt even worse!”

“Michel, that's—wait, you found out *what*?”

“Congratulations to you both, by the way,” Michel added, letting himself sink into Clark's chair. “I always thought you two made a lovely couple—”

“Michel, we're not married!” Clark interrupted.

“—and I hope you have many happy years—Eh?” He blinked in surprise.

“Lois and I didn't really get married!” said Clark. “We're just pretending to be a married couple so we can occupy the honeymoon suite.”

“...Oh!” As understanding settled in, Michel couldn't help but chuckle. Apparently, some congratulations were still in order.... “Well, I won't keep you away much longer,” he promised, “but do you think we could meet again, soon?”

“Well, I—Lois, are you all right?!” There was a clattering sound, and muffled conversation. After a moment or so, Clark's voice returned. “Sorry about that; Lois just bumped into the tripod and nearly knocked over the camera.”

Michel's eyebrows flew into his hair. “I see.”

“But yeah,” Clark continued, “I'd love to see you again! Um, how long do you have before you need to catch your plane?”

“I have all the time in the world, Clark,” Michel told him. He lowered his voice. “This time...there is no plane.”

~•~