#278399 01/10/18 04:45 AM
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Feedback folder.

A little background.

Seven years ago today, my town was hit by what was later described as an ‘inland tsunami’ of extreme flash flooding. It’s something we never thought would happen here, as my town is on a plateau on top of the Great Dividing Range. Floodwaters have to go somewhere; and as we are quite literally on top of a mountain, the only place that water could go was into the valley below us.

The story you have (hopefully) just read is the stark reality of what happened to the villages at the bottom of the range. Some of them received less than a minute’s warning before they were hit, and the small farming community of Grantham was nearly wiped off the map. Seven years later, we still bear the scars.

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Columnist
Columnist
Powerful and a reminder that one man can make a difference but is he enough. Very powerful. Thank you.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Very powerful story. Not even Superman is always fast enough to prevent tragedy. Very timely in light of the severe winter weather that hit the eastern US last week, and the California mudslides and flooding this week.

Last edited by cuidadora; 01/10/18 05:18 PM. Reason: added update

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Thanks Carrie and Cuidadora! This was a truly difficult story for me to write and I was honestly hesitant to post it, so I’m glad it was well received

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Powerful reminder that no matter how strong Superman is even he has his limits. Mother Nature is a beast for anyone...even Superman. whinging

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Feli!

Poor people. Poor Superman. Powerful is indeed what sprang to mind first.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard