Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Superman and the Miserable, Rotten, No-Fun, Really Bad Day

For those of you unfamiliar with the orginal upon which the parody is based, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day brought a smile to my lips as a child, and memories of it still make such days a wee bit better. (Although I still have days where I want to run off to Australia some times to find out if the ending is true... wink )

Joy,
Lynn

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I recently got that book. I really enjoyed it -- it's cute and fun. They threw a lot of details into the illustrations that show a great juxtaposition between Superman's crazy life and Clark Kent's very mundane life. (I think the bottle city of Kandor was somewhere on Clark's messy bedroom floor, if I remember correctly.)

I think the book can stand on it's own, but I don't think it would be as entertaining if I didn't have at least a passing familiarity with the book it's based on.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Mrs. Mxy,

I bought an e-version of the book when it had been on sale. It was amusing, provided I suspended any notion that this was supposed to be remotely true to any version of the character. For example, one of the things Clark complained about was getting shampoo in his eyes. Really? He isn't phased by bullets hitting him, but he's upset about some shampoo?

I definitely don't think the book is worth paying full price for, but if one is willing to let characterization be way off for the sake of humour, and if the book happens to be on sale, it is a fun read.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard