The familiar characters of this story are not my own but are the property of corporate entities (DC Comics, December 3rd Productions, ABC, etc.) other than myself. This work is a labor of love and is presented with no expectation of remuneration.

“That’s pretty much it, Mr. Stern,” Perry said. “I don’t think I have anything else for this meeting.”

Perry made as if to stand, but Franklin Stern motioned for him to remain seated. “What about the rumors about that new criminal organization? The one that’s moving in on the operations and territory of the late, unlamented Lex Luthor?”

Perry’s eyebrows flickered but didn’t rise. He shouldn’t have been surprised that the Planet’s new owner would know everything important. “I assume you’re referring to the organization the DA’s office is calling Intergang, sir.”

“I am.”

“We don’t have anything we can print. Of course, the Metro PD doesn’t have any solid leads on them either, assuming they exist and that they’re really trying to move into Luthor’s old slot in the criminal food chain. And the DA’s office either doesn’t have anything concrete on them or they’re not even hinting at it, at least not to us.”

“Hmm.” Stern leaned back and frowned in thought. “Perhaps we should mount an investigation. Perhaps even an undercover investigation, one which didn’t look a bit like an undercover operation. Were I the one choosing the participants, I’d select the most highly trusted people in my employ.”

Perry nodded. “That’s a good idea. I’ll start work on it this afternoon.”

“Thank you, Perry. Oh, there is one more thing.”

Perry didn’t give any outward sign of his growing impatience to get back to his office – his newly refurbished and decorated office, with new photos of Elvis and two autographed posters of the King from his most recent comeback tour. “Yes, sir, what is that?”

Stern rose and clasped his hands behind his back as he paced. “There is one employee situation which must be addressed. You have a reporter on board with an excellent track record, but who completely missed the Luthor situation because she was personally involved.”

Missed Luthor? Personally involved? She?

Uh-oh.

Lois. Stern had to be talking about Lois.

And this didn’t sound good.

“Ms. Lane has contributed materially to the past success of the Daily Planet,” Stern continued, “but she has, of late, suffered a decline in the quality of her work. You know better than I that a reporter is only as valuable as his or her most recent story, and recently Ms. Lane has not met her own high journalistic standards, not to mention those of the Daily Planet. I’m afraid that I must insist that we cut ties with her.”

Perry was stunned. Fire Lois? Unthinkable! He had to talk Stern out of it.

“Mr. Stern, Lois has had some personal problems lately, but I really believe—”

“Perry.” Stern stopped pacing and faced the editor. “I understand the relationship you share with her. I know from personal experience that mentors and students are often closer than they might be were their circumstances different, and I know you’ve poured your heart and soul into this young woman. But sometimes things don’t work out as we would prefer. Sometimes we just have to cut our losses and move on. Sometimes surgeons perform necessary operations and the patient still doesn’t make it.”

What? What did doctors have to do with this? “Mr. Stern, I’m not sure I can—”

“Perry, please.” Stern stepped close and gently put his hand on Perry’s shoulder. “I’m not suggesting that you have her clean out her desk under cover of darkness. We’ll grant her the standard two weeks of severance pay, plus her remaining vacation time, plus a week of pay for every half-year she’s been here. That should give her enough of a cushion to find another job.”

Perry’s eyes flashed. “You know she won’t be able to work for any other paper east of the Rocky Mountains! Once word gets out that the Planet fired her for—”

“We’re not firing her. We’re – we’re downsizing our staff, due to the recent financial strain placed on us by the Luthor debacle.”

Perry sighed and decided to play the small hole card he still held. “If Lois leaves, I’m not sure I’ll be able to keep Clark Kent on board.”

Stern nodded and turned away, but Perry caught a glint of something in his eyes that looked like – like pleasure? But Stern wasn’t a mean man. A hard, tough businessman, yes, but totally honest and as compassionate as he could afford to be. So why would the thought of Clark’s possible departure please him?

The owner shook his head and sighed. “I would hope that we would be able to retain Mr. Kent’s services despite our severing ties with Ms. Lane,” said Stern, “but I would understand both his feelings and his reaction were he to leave despite our desire to keep him on board. In fact, it would not surprise me if the two of them teamed up independently and took on this Intergang investigation entirely on their own, without any prompting from anyone connected with the Daily Planet, if for no other reason than to spite me.”

Stern turned, tilted his head to one side, and stared at Perry with a half-smile on his face, as if he were trying to say something without saying it. But what could—

Then the smoldering candle in the editor’s mind flickered, caught, and flared. Stern was giving Perry the public reasons why Clark and Lois wouldn’t be working for the Planet while they went undercover to investigate Intergang. Stern was cagey, cunning, and daring, and the plan had a good chance of working – if the bad guys really believed the cover story.

Otherwise the Planet might be running two very sad obituaries very soon.

Perry nodded. “I understand, Mr. Stern. I’ll take care of the Lane matter first thing Monday morning, unless you want it done before the weekend.”

Stern waved dismissively. “Monday morning will be soon enough. I’ll contact Audra Baker in Human Resources to draw up the severance package. And I’ll make sure that Ms. Lane’s employee record contains a positive recommendation.”

“Thank you, sir. Will there be anything else?”

“I don’t think – well, one thing, actually. Please make the same terms available to Mr. Kent should he choose to offer his resignation.”

“You know that he’s only been here about a year, right?”

“Of course I do. But I won’t have it said that Franklin Stern is a miser.”

Perry nodded again. “Will do, Mr. Stern. Thank you for your time.”

The owner turned back to his desk. “Until our next meeting, Mr. White.”

Perry pulled the door shut behind him. Now all he had to do was survive Lois’ termination interview.

He pursed his lips and blew out a breath through his nose. He’d rather be under automatic weapons fire in a rice paddy than face an angry Lois Lane. He just hoped Kent would quickly figure out what was happening and play along.

Then all Clark would have to do would be to protect Lois from herself.

It would be a piece of cake for all concerned. No sweat, no muss, no bother, no harm, no foul.

And flying monkeys would distribute tomorrow morning’s edition by coming down everyone’s chimney, just like Santa.

Maybe Audra from Human Resources could fix up a severance package for him, too.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing