My Own Worst Enemy
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 21

Lois laid wrapped in her husband’s arms, listening to the sound of her in-laws playing with Jon from the living room. She leaned back against Clark as they sat on the bench on the patio, enjoying the quiet for the moment. Martha had insisted on both of them taking it easy so she and Jonathan could catch up on time with Jon. It had been almost a month since their last visit.

She held up a copy of the afternoon edition of the Daily Planet, smiling at the cover photo on the front that read, ‘Vale Arrest = Intergang Fall’ in bold letters.

“Only you would end up with a story going to pick up my parents from the airport,” Clark whispered in her ear with a smile.

“I’m just glad your mom had a camera on her. Perry would have had my hyde if I didn’t get a page one photo for him. Surprisingly good quality for a disposable too.” Lois commented with a smile.

“Jimmy would be proud.” Clark smiled back at her.

“How’s Jimmy doing?” she asked, fingering the cotton to his rolled up dress shirt sleeve.

His arms tightened around her as he spoke. “Dr. Klein’s still running some tests, but he seems to be back to his normal self.”

“Lucy’s been worried sick about him,” Lois said sadly. “The doctors wouldn’t let her in to see him earlier.”

“I think after Dr. Klein finishes the last of the tests they should allow him to have visitors,” Clark said, leaning in to kiss her. “If not, I’ll see if we can get him to make an exception for her.”

Lois turned the page to where the article about the dangers of the different types of meteorites was. She frowned, seeing the new name Cat had given them. “Who would have thought Cat Grant would be the one naming those evil rocks?”

“I don’t know.” Clark shrugged, “I kinda like the name. Kryptonite. It fits.”

“Kinda scary, huh?” Lois looked back at him.

“Yes and no,” he said, leaning into her. “Yes, its scary that everyone knows about something being a danger to Superman, but no in that they also know the meteorite is a danger to everyone here on Earth too. Hopefully, that’ll be enough to prevent anyone from using them.”

“One can only hope.” Lois sighed. “With all the unprogramming that’s left to do from the Church Network scandal, there could be a lot of opportunities for criminals to come out of the woodwork. I’ll be glad when STAR Labs finds a way to destroy them for once and for all.”

“Well if they’re put under enough heat they turn into a harmless diamond,” Clark said with a shrug. “At least I know how to get rid of the lethal radiation now.” Lois nodded, not really agreeing with his sentiment. He ran a hand through her hair, “How about you? How are you holding up?”

“Clean bill of health. I told you I’m fine.” She said, shooting him a weak smile. “I don’t understand why you insist on me getting checked out every single time we have a run-in with a criminal. By now you should be used to it.” She twisted her mouth, looking at him in concern, “I’m not the one that decided to try and put out an electric fire less than twenty-four hours of being exposed to meteorite radiation.”

“Jimmy was in danger.” Clark breathed with a sigh, “But maybe it wasn’t the smartest move on my part.” He conceded. “Whatever powers were coming back seemed to have become weaker after that encounter with STAR Labs’ collection of meteorites.”

“At least now we know where Intergang’s collection went to.” Lois reasoned aloud, trying not to think about the rocks that were sitting in STAR Labs’ secure vault.

“After explaining the situation and seeing what a danger the meteorite is to everyone Dr. Klein’s decided it’s best to try and find a way to destroy it.” Clark pointed out. “So hopefully we won’t have any more surprises like that in the future. I’d hate for Jon to have to deal with that.”

“Me too.” Lois smiled at him. “Are you sure you’re okay though?”

“Weak and a little sore, but that’s about it.” He tightened his arms around her. “I think I’ll try and give it a few days before I attempt going on rescues unless it’s something the authorities can’t handle.”

“So, I get your undivided attention for a few days?” She grinned back at him, and her eyes sparkled as she spoke.

“You always have my undivided attention.” He grinned at her.

“You’re really pouring it on thick.” she sighed.

“It’s the truth.” He murmured, holding her close. “There is nowhere else I’d rather be than right here with you.” She gave him a weak smile, and he brushed the hair out of her face, “What is it?”

“Just try and be more careful, okay?” her voice cracked as she spoke.

“I can do my best, but that’s about all I can promise.” He tilted her chin to look at him, surprised to find unshed tears in her eyes. “Lois?” The knock on the patio door caught their attention. She looked up, and cleared her throat. “Always something.”

They turned to see Jonathan standing with Jimmy at the patio door. “Jimmy, this is a surprise,” Clark said, standing to greet him.

“Yeah, sorry, guys, I just got discharged and wanted to come by and thank you for everything.” Jimmy began, shoving his hands in his pockets as he stepped out on the patio. Jonathan closed the door behind him and motioned to them that he’d be in the living room if they needed him.

“How are you feeling?” Clark asked, looking at him in concern.

“Weird.” Jimmy flashed them a smile. “Really weird.”

“It’s an experience.” Clark agreed.

“Why didn’t you guys tell me what happened to you sooner?” Jimmy asked, looking at them in concern. “If I’d known…”

“Jimmy, you have to understand we were told about the meteorite...err Kryptonite under the strictest of confidence from Superman,” Lois interjected. “It wasn’t our story to tell.”

“I know, but…” Jimmy sighed, taking a seat on the patio chair. “I treated you like dirt.” He looked at Clark. “The things I said…I’m sorry.”

“I appreciate that, Jimmy,” Clark said, cutting him off.

“I wish you would have told me what had happened sooner,” Jimmy said with a pleading look. “You didn’t deserve the way I treated you. I thought…”

“I know what you thought.” Clark said, looking up at him, “But like I told you before I would never do something like that to Lois. I understand where you were coming from though and I consider myself lucky that I’ve got a friend willing to look out for my family like that.”

“You still consider me a friend?” Jimmy asked, surprised.

“Always.” Clark smiled at him.

“Have you had dinner yet?” Lois asked, “Martha’s cooking up a storm in there…” She pointed to the glass patio door. “Usually she cooks enough for an army.”

Jimmy sighed, “I wish I could, but I’m making my rounds on the apologies tonight. You guys were my first stop.”

“If you change your mind you know where to find us.” Lois smiled at him.

“Thanks,” Jimmy waved, heading back inside.

“Poor guy,” Clark said, watching him leave.

“I would not want to be him right now,” Lois said with a sigh.

“Lucy still mad at him?” Clark guessed.

“Hurt.” Lois corrected. “Which is far worse.”

Mayson folded her hands on the desk in front of her, looking at Sam Lane and Bill Henderson. Dr. Lane’s attorney was sitting in the corner, jotting down notes. She cleared her throat, looking to the court reporter. “This is a deposition to find out if the information Dr. Lane has is important enough to allow the courts to set aside his involvement in possible criminal acts for the greater good of putting certain criminals behind bars. Is everyone ready?”

Dr. Lane nodded, “Yes, Ms. Drake,”

“We’ll start at the beginning. How did you find yourself involved with Intergang?” Mayson asked, nodding to the recorder.

“When I was employed I was never told who I was working for. No one knew who the employer was. It was just ‘the organization,’ No one asked. No one provided information. The man I worked for seemed intent on keeping that information from everyone in my department.”

“Why did you agree to work under these conditions?” Mayson asked.

“I felt if I tried to leave my life and my family’s life would be in danger,” Sam explained, taking a deep breath.

“Something changed along the way though, didn’t it?” his attorney prodded.

“Yes, I took advantage of a weak moment in the organization’s leadership and was able to get ahold of several encrypted files that included names, dates, and history of their criminal activities,” Sam said carefully.

“How many names are there in these encrypted files?” Mayson asked.

“Close to a million.” Sam said with a deep breath.

Mayson looked at Sam’s attorney then back again. “You worked on Metallo, did you not?”

“I helped Mr. Corbin the best way I knew how. I did not program him to attack or kill.” Sam said gruffly.

“You went on the run after an attack from Bill Church’s son. Is that correct?” his attorney asked.

“Yes.” Sam nodded. “I was attacked when they discovered I’d helped remove something they were trying to use to control Superman.”

“Which was what?” Mayson asked.

“I won’t say.” Sam said flatly.

“Dr. Lane…” Mayson gave him a look.

“Superman just got done saving my daughter and everyone in this city. I will not do anything to put him in harm’s way.” Sam said coldly. “I will give you the names, dates, and everything I have but I will not give you that.”

“Very well.” Mayson said, looking to Sam’s attorney. “I believe we have everything we need. Have your office send over the paperwork in the morning.”

“Thank you, Ms. Drake.” Dr. Lane’s attorney said, reaching out to shake her hand.

“Dr. Lane, one last question,” Mayson asked, “Are you willing to take the stand against these criminals?”

“As long as you keep my family and me safe I’ll do whatever’s necessary.”

“Then we have a deal.” She smiled at him. “When we’re done here there won’t be anyone left to send after you or your family.”

Jimmy knocked on the old wooden framed door, peering through the glass at his editor who was still hard at work, marking up the latest copy for the late night edition. “Chief?”

Perry looked up at him. “Jimmy?” His expression seemed to be second guessing if it was really him or not.

“It’s me, Chief.” Jimmy smiled at him. “I got released about an hour ago. Wanted to stop by and say thanks for everything.”

“You, uh, had me worried there for awhile.” Perry said gruffly, standing to his feet.

“I know,” Jimmy said, looking at him with remorse. “I said a lot of things I shouldn’t have. You didn’t deserve that.”

“It wasn’t you though.” Perry reminded him.

“It was, but it wasn’t.” Jimmy corrected. At Perry’s confused expression he elaborated. “I didn’t mean to say them, but sometimes it is how I feel, Chief...partly anyway.”

“I see,” Perry drawled, tapping his hand on his chin.

“So, you, uh, think I treat you like a lap dog?” Perry looked at him with a concerned look.

“Sometimes,” Jimmy shrugged. “I don’t know.”

“Jimmy, do you know why I send you on those errands?” Perry asked, putting an arm around his shoulders as she spoke.

“Cuz you’re too busy to leave and do it yourself?” Jimmy guessed.

“Partly.” Perry nodded. “When you first started here, you had a vision of what it was going to be like to be a newspaperman, but you never showed me what I was really looking for...until yesterday.”

“Which was what?” Jimmy asked, confused.

“Guts,” Perry said with a smile. “I’ve been waiting for you to stand up to me. Stand up for yourself. In this business, people will walk all over you. You’ve got the talent to make it in this business, but you’ve got to have the tenacity and know how to handle yourself.”

“So you were testing me?” Jimmy asked.

“More or less,” Perry smiled. “Now, I would have preferred a little less of a colorful expression when you finally did stand up to me, but I’m glad you did.” He patted him on the back. “I don’t need an errand boy. I need a journalist that can hold his own. Maybe he’s got an eye for the camera, and I think he might turn into a great photojournalist one day.”

“Really?” Jimmy looked up at him, uncertain he’d heard him right.

“Really.” Perry nodded. “I want you to move your desk into the City section starting Monday. It’s time you started working with the big leagues.”

Jimmy reached up and hugged him, “Oh, Chief, thank you so much! I won’t let you down.” After a minute he realized he was still hugging Perry and backed away, “I mean, thank you, sir,” He held out his hand to shake Perry’s.

“Jimmy, don’t you ever hug me again.” Perry looked at him bewildered.

“Right, Chief.” Jimmy nodded, shaking his hand. “No hugging.”

“What kind of newsroom do you think I run here?” Perry barked. “Now get out of here and go find that girlfriend of yours and treat her to a nice evening. On me.” He handed him a fifty dollar bill.

“Thanks, Chief,” Jimmy said with a smile.

“I’ll see you Monday.” Perry smiled at him.

Jimmy frowned, “But it’s only Wednesday.”

“And I’ll see you Monday.” Perry smiled at him.

“Thanks, Chief,” Jimmy smiled at him.

“Night, son,” Perry called after him.

Lois smiled, watching Clark carry Jon to his bassinet. After playing with his grandparents, he had passed out early. It was nice to see everyone so relaxed after everything that had happened. After six years of investigating and finally Lex Luthor was behind bars. Finally, after everything, she felt like everything was going to be okay.

“Hey, little guy,” Clark rubbed Jon’s back, leaning in to kiss him goodnight. “Sweet dreams.”

“You’re so good with him,” Lois said, taking a seat on the edge of the bed.

“He makes it easy,” he said, taking a seat next to her. “I think he wore mom and dad out. Dad was snoring in the recliner earlier. Mom had to wake him to go to bed.”

Lois giggled at the mental image. “It's been nice having them here. After everything that happened these last few days…”

“I know,” Clark whispered, running a hand up her back. She felt a shiver run down her spine and leaned into him. “These last few days have been a nightmare, but it's over now.” He whispered to her. “Luthor’s finally in jail. Intergang and the thousands of members around the world will be brought to justice one by one with the help of your father. Rollie Vale’s going to prison along with the rest of Luthor’s gang of thugs. It’s finally over.” He pressed his lips against her cheek, running a hand through her hair and outlining the frame of her face with his palm.

“I was so scared, Clark,” she whispered tearfully.

“Scared?” He asked.

“When Lex kidnapped me I knew you’d find me. You always do but when I saw you trying to dismantle that satellite and when that beam changed from white to green...it physically hurt me to watch. I was so scared I wasn’t ever going to see you again. I wasn’t ever going to…” She could feel a lump in her throat as she fought back tears, unable to look him in the eyes.

“Lois,” he whispered in her ear, holding her close. “I was scared too. Terrified really. I kept thinking of everything I still wanted to do. The things I wanted to teach Jon. Things I wanted to say.” He brushed a strand of hair out of her face.

“Like what?” she asked, turning to face him.

“Like how much I love you. How much I need you. Every fear, and doubt seemed so small after everything.” He pressed his lips to her forehead, then moved his hands up her back, holding her to him. She rested her head on his shoulder. “I’m sorry I scared you, Lois.”

“Just try and be more careful, please. I don’t think I can take it if something happened to you...” Lois whispered.

He nodded, leaning into kiss her. “I’m not going anywhere.”

“Promise?” she teased, fingering the collar to his shirt playfully.

“Scout’s honor,” he held up his fingers showing the boy scout promise. She couldn’t help but laugh. Jon began to stir, and they both froze, afraid to move or say anything. Clark looked back at the bassinet and whispered, “He’s asleep. Just babbling in his sleep like his mom.”

“I do not babble in my sleep.” She whispered back. “Or any other time.”

“Yes, you do.” He teased, leaning in to recapture her lips with his. She could feel the heat from his breath tickle his lips. He moved his hands to cup both sides of her face as he lost himself in the art of kissing her.

Lucy looked around the dining room, mildly impressed with the lights and music. “Pouring it on a little thick, aren’t you?” She asked giving him a half smile. “I would have been fine splitting a pizza and watching an old movie together.” She looked at him in concern. “Can you afford this place?”

“I figured I had a lot to make up for but don’t worry dinner’s on the Chief tonight.” Jimmy dazzled her with his best grin.

“Really?” Lucy laughed, “How’d you manage that?”

“It was his idea that I take you out and make up for everything from yesterday.” His face fell slightly. “I’m sorry, Luce. I really don’t know what to say. I just hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.”

Lucy leaned over to give him a peck on the cheek. “I already have. I know this year’s been complicated for the both of us this year.” She shrugged her shoulders. “Forgiving you for your evil twin’s behavior shouldn’t be an issue we have to work through.”

“What do you think we should work through?” Jimmy asked curiously.

“Trust,” Lucy said carefully.

“Trust?” Jimmy echoed. “I trust you.”

“Do you?” Lucy asked, looking at him with concern. “I know it wasn’t you that said those things but a part of you had to have felt them at one time or another. The double was created from you.”

“I know.” Jimmy’s face fell. “I guess I haven’t exactly handled things the best way.”

“I could have handled things a little better too,” Lucy admitted, leaning in to kiss him. “I do love you, Jimmy. I shouldn’t have let my anger get the best of me. I shouldn’t have shut you out. We’ve been fighting so much over these last few months about the same thing because neither of us is listening to one another.”

“I know,” Jimmy said sadly. “A lot of that’s my fault. I didn’t listen.” He sighed, “I still wish Lois and CK had told me what had happened with his exposure to the Black Kryptonite before. It would have saved so much aggravation.”

“Tell me about it.” Lucy smiled back at him.

“Are we going to be okay?” he asked.

“Are you going to quit assuming the worst scenario without getting the facts?” Lucy asked.

“No,” Jimmy smiled back at her. “I'm also going to stop letting other people push me around. I know what I want to do with my life. I can’t let other people stop me from achieving those goals.”

“Even Perry White?” Lucy teased.

“Even the Chief.” Jimmy grinned. “Turns out he’s been trying to get me to stand up to him.”

“I figured,” Lucy said with a smile. “He did the same thing to Lois when she and Clark first started.”

“And you didn't’ tell me because?” Jimmy gave her a teasing glare.

“Pete and Clark and Lois were all telling you to stand up for yourself. I was being the supportive girlfriend. Someone's gotta have your back.” Lucy said with a shrug.

“Thanks.” Jimmy smiled at her.

One Week Later…

A crowd stood gathered in front of the Daily Planet. Lois looked up at the stage that had been set up. A banner hung over the stage with a yellow and red sign that read, ‘Superman Day’ on it.

“I’m sure he's going to love that,” Lois muttered to herself, looking in the sky for her husband.

It had been a week since Clark had stopped the Annihilator satellite and Lex Luthor had been arrested with the Churches. Since the programming that had been encrypted into the cable, television, and internet had been found slowly but surely different members of the government had been issuing apologies to Superman in one form or another. The most recent one had come from the president of the United States, President Garner requesting Superman visit the White House. Clark planned to make a visit at the end of the month. He had gone from being public enemy number one to being a celebrity overnight.

It had been discovered that LexTel had been working with the Church Network and using the subliminal messages to steal the presidential election. It wasn’t until the programming was discovered that people’s true reaction to Clark’s alter ego was coming out.

A familiar sonic boom could be heard from up above. Lois smiled, looking up to see the red and blue streak flying through the air.

“Looks like a good turnout,” Jimmy said from behind her.

She nodded, “Yeah, everyone’s going out of their way to welcome Superman the way he should have been last year.”

Jimmy held up his camera, capturing the photos of Clark landing on the stage and greeting the mayor with a smile. “I still don’t understand what the reasoning was for Intergang to turn everyone against him.”

“Power,” Lois said softly. “He was a threat to their way of life. Superman represents good. He represents a way of life that they refused to let people live. So they went out of their way to build a propaganda campaign against him fearing he’d encourage others to be more than what the Churches wanted them to be.”

“Well, look around Lois.” Jimmy gestured to the crowd. “They were right. Everyone loves him. He’s famous.”

“Yeah,” Lois smiled, looking up at the stage as Clark stood next to the mayor by the microphone.

The mayor approached the microphone, “Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming.” She looked to Clark and smiled, “Superman, as thanks for everything you’ve done to help and protect this city...even when we didn’t deserve it we would like to give you the key to the city and proclaim this day, Superman Day.” She placed the key around Clark’s neck. Jimmy took some more photos, and the crowd erupted in applause.

Clark seemed nervous, meeting her gaze in the crowd. She smiled at him, nodding her encouragement. “Thank you. The people of Metropolis have made me feel very welcome here. I’m proud to call it my home.”

Superman Gets Key to the City
By Lois Lane and Clark Kent
Photo Credit: James Olsen

“Your first front page photo credit,” Lois remarked with an impressed smile. “Not bad.”

“Well, thanks for letting me tag along.” Jimmy shrugged.

Perry walked up to them, “What’s everyone standing around for? This is a newspaper! Get movin’!” He wagged his finger in their direction as he walked by.

Jimmy shook his head, “Back to the grind.”

Clark walked up to them, notepad in hand with a broad smile on his face. Lois turned to him. “Hey you,” She held up the front page for him to see. “Front page. Did you see?”

“Yeah, CK, check out the byline.” Jimmy pointed to his photo credit.”

“That’s great work, Jimmy.” Clark complimented.

“Metropolis is my home.” Jimmy read the quote. “I don’t know about you guys, but that sure does make me feel good to know we’ve got a guy like Superman looking out for us.”

“Yeah,” Lois shared a look with Clark. “It definitely does.”

~ The End

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube