Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#46 A Warrior of the people by Joe Sarita

Story about Susan La Flesche, the first Indian doctor .

Top Banana
Top Banana
44. Humans, Bow Down, by James Patterson

In this dystopian novel, robots have become sentient and have decided that humans are inferior to them, and therefore must be either treated as slaves, imprisoned, or placed on "Reserves" (think Indian reservations).

The story was entertaining, but left a lot of questions. For example, the robots like to eat (but don't need to), and they need oxygen, but nothing is said about what keeps them running (energy has to come from somewhere). Do they plug themselves in? Do they have solar cells? Also, it's implied that they start out as children and grow up. How do they do that, since they are entirely inorganic? They also show the same signs of aging as humans do, but again, how? Obviously, machines get worn out, but they don't show such signs of aging as wrinkles and changes in color (besides fading and getting burnt). Entertaining, but not terribly well-written, although the story ends with the potential for a sequel, so maybe those questions will be answered there.

45. The Monkey's Paw, by W. W. Jacobs

This is the classic horror tale of a cursed monkey's paw that grants three wishes, but in a horrific fashion, the underlying moral being "Be careful what you wish for, because you might get it." There's a reason why this story is a classic, and that is because the theme speaks to people of all generations.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Top Banana
Top Banana
46. Ride the River, by Louis L'Amour

I doubt Louis L'Amour knew he was writing a young adult novel when he wrote this entry in the Sackett saga back in 1983, but it definitely qualifies. Sixteen-year-old Echo Sackett can ride horses, hit anything she aims at with a gun, and carries an "Arkansas toothpick" -- and she knows how to use it. She would fit right in with today's YA heroines.

47. Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, by Christopher Moore

This comedic novel tells the story of the missing years of Jesus's life (or Joshua's, as he is called in the book), as he and his best friend, Levi called Biff (for the sound made when smacking someone upside the head), travel to Afghanistan, China, and India to study with the wise men. A very entertaining novel, but not for the easily offended.

48. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, by Judith Viorst

This is an old favorite that my niece wanted me to read to her. Then she decided not to pay attention, so I read it silently to myself, and refused to start over when she realized I'd stopped reading (not paying attention has consequences). Now I have an LnC plot bunny hopping around in my head, which needs to go lay down until I get more of Panem written.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Annie,

You might want to check out Superman and the Miserable, Rotten, No Fun, Really Bad Day. I haven't read it myself, but it does look cute.

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., Even now in my second half-century of life, memories of the Alexander book still manage to make me smile when I am having one of those days.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Hi Annie,

You might want to check out Superman and the Miserable, Rotten, No Fun, Really Bad Day. I haven't read it myself, but it does look cute.

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., Even now in my second half-century of life, memories of the Alexander book still manage to make me smile when I am having one of those days.
Thanks! I will definitely check this book out (and I may actually be able to keep my niece's attention on it, since she loves superheroes).

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#47 A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Diana, a witch who has suppressed her powers for years, suddenly finds herself attracting the attention of other witches, vampires and daemons. Especially one vampire.

It's an interesting world, well fleshed out. Some of the romance is a bit much. I'll probably check out the next book in the series but I'm not in a hurry.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#48 Then and Always by Dani Atkins

A accident that occurs just before leaving for college permanently changes Rachel's life. But then she gets a second chance....

In many ways this book was a typical romance. It had an unusual plot twist which I'm still deciding how I feel about.

Top Banana
Top Banana
49. How I Got This Way, by Patrick F. McManus

Patrick McManus, outdoor humorist extraordinaire, explains in a hilarious fashion how he got to be ... well ... the way he is.

50. Hardcore Twenty-Four, by Janet Evanovich

I think the Stephanie Plum series has jumped the shark. It's been repetitive for a while now, but in this book, there are only a few humorous moments (one of which involves a guy shooting himself in the foot, which shouldn't be funny, but is). Diesel is back, and behaves in a fashion that would get him arrested, shot, or both in real life. There are "zombies" (or something). Stephanie still doesn't make any progress on choosing between Morelli and Ranger (and she's attracted to Diesel, too, of course).

51. Superman and the Miserable, Rotten, No Fun, Really Bad Day, by Dave Croatto

I decided to take Lynn's advice and bought this book, and she's right. It's great -- plenty of humor. I read it, then lent it to my 9-year-old nephew, my 8-year-old niece, and then read it again to my 6-year-old niece (who struggles with reading, but does better if there are pictures and it's a topic she likes).

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#49 A Tree grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Touching story about a girl growing up in Brooklyn at the turn of the century , dealing with poverty .

Top Banana
Top Banana
52. A Fine and Pleasant Misery, by Patrick F. McManus

This book of humorous essays by Patrick McManus deals largely with camping, and contains one of his most apropos tales -- that of a trip to a national park, where his kids got to see two adult male Homo sapiens having a territorial dispute over a parking space.

53. Mr. Frumble's Worst Day Ever, by Richard Scarry

Mr. Frumble, a luckless pig who drives a pickle car (hey, it's a children's book) causes multiple car accidents and other disasters. Not included is the obvious sequel for adults, where Mr. Frumble loses his driver's license.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#50 While I'm Falling by Laura Moriarty

Ever since her parents announced that they're getting divorced, Veronica has been falling. Hard. A junior in college, she has fallen in love. She has fallen behind in her difficult coursework. She hates her job as counselor at the dorm, and she longs for the home that no longer exists. When an attempt to escape the pressure, combined with bad luck, lands her in a terrifying situation, a shaken Veronica calls her mother for help--only to find her former foundation too preoccupied to offer any assistance at all.

This story brought up some interesting points about what we value and how that shapes our life decisions.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#51 Bellwether by Connie Willis

Sandra Foster studies fads and their meanings for the HiTek corporation. Bennet O'Reilly works with monkey group behavior and chaos theory for the same company. When the two are thrust together due to a misdelivered package and a run of seemingly bad luck, they find a joint project in a flock of sheep. But series of setbacks and disappointments arise before they are able to find answers to their questions

Connie Willis has a unique style and it's certainly evident in this unusual book.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
#52 The Boys in the Boat - Dan Brown

This book is inspiring and joyful! A must read 'Chariots of Fire' for the boating world.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
#49 A Tree grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Touching story about a girl growing up in Brooklyn at the turn of the century , dealing with poverty .

Thanks SciFi Joan! Glad to see people are still reading this moving classic. Hmmm, maybe its time to take my copy off the shelf.

Last edited by Morgana; 12/07/17 01:28 PM. Reason: Additional comments

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Originally Posted by Morgana
#52 The Boys in the Boat - Dan Brown

This book is inspiring and joyful! A must read 'Chariots of Fire' for the boating world.

I'm not usually a biography person but I enjoyed this one too .

Top Banana
Top Banana
54. Out of the Darkness, by Lynn Erickson

This is an unusual Harlequin romance from 1995. Most of those books are repetitive (a fact I discovered at age 11 when I read the Harlequins my mom left in the bathroom and quickly lost interest), but this one stood out.

Miguel Rivera y Aquilar, a priest turned vampire, is over 500 years old and weary of life. He dislikes hurting people (he needs blood to survive) and has never killed anyone (but still broods constantly about what a monster he is, the sort of brooding that makes Batfleck look lighthearted). Enter Karen Freed, an ER nurse who takes a shortcut through Central Park in the wee hours of the morning and is attacked by two men. Miguel rescues her (and feeds on one of the men), and takes her to his expensive home until she regains consciousness. Then he asks her out to dinner (though he doesn't eat). Romance ensues.

Also in New York City is Miguel's old enemy Balthazar, who turned him into a vampire in 1458. Balthazar is ancient and very powerful, and very fond of killing. He also likes making certain people immortal when some aspect of their looks or intellect appeal to him -- or when they're pure and innocent and he wants to corrupt them for fun. Balthazar catches on to the fact that there is a mortal woman in Miguel's life and starts stalking them.

An entertaining book, a cut above most Harlequin romances, but still snarkable.

55. Wonder Woman: Warbringer, by Leigh Bardugo

Wonder Woman gets the YA treatment in this first book in the DC Icons series -- and it works. It works really, really well.

Diana, the only person born on Themyscira (the others arrived there after their deaths in battle after calling out to a goddess of battle or war), longs to prove herself. While running in a race, she sees a shipwreck out in the Aegean Sea, beyond the barrier between Themyscira and the rest of the world, and in spite of herself, swims out and rescues a girl, the lone survivor of the shipwreck. The island does not take kindly to the presence of an outsider and starts to tear itself apart, so Diana takes the girl, Alia Keralis, and leaves the island, winding up in Alia's hometown, New York City. Alia is a descendant of Helen of Troy, the first Warbringer, destined to cause conflict wherever she goes and to plunge the world into another age of warfare if not washed clean of this stain in a spring near to where Helen is buried.

This is an excellent first entry in the series, and at least three others are coming. Batman: Nightwalker, by Marie Lu is due for release on January 2, 2018, Catwoman: Soul Stealer, by Sarah J. Maas is due for release on August 7, 2018, and a Superman book, by Matt de la Pena, which is apparently due for release on January 10, 2019 (according to Goodreads), but is not yet available for pre-order on Amazon. If the quality of these other books is as good as the quality of Wonder Woman: Warbringer, the series will be enjoyable indeed.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#53 Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo

An interesting story with some major plot twists about a Nigerian couple struggling to have a child. I wasn't as emotionally hooked as I thought I might be.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#54 The Center of Everything by Laura Moriarity

This story was about a teenager in Kansas growing up in poverty during the 1980s.

It wasn't a bad story, it just seemed to go no where. The characters weren't overly likeable.

Top Banana
Top Banana
56. The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw, by Patrick F. McManus

A book of humorous columns by outdoor writer Patrick F. McManus. The titular column is about the night he went camping with a friend's family when he was a kid, and his "sleeping bag" (an old fur coat) caused him to be mistaken for a bear.

57. Tag and Bink Were Here, by Kevin Rubio

This satirical collection of Star Wars comics features a pair of bumbling would-be Jedi with limited Force potential who accidentally cause all the key events of the prequel and original trilogies (think Forrest Gump meets Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead).

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#55 The Shack by William Paul Young

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation, and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his "Great Sadness," Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend.

Thought provoking story. I'll have to check out the movie version.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard