Rules of Battle
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 4

Superman Defeated!
Cops Dub Suspect “Metallo”

By Lois Lane

Lois looked at the front page of the Daily Planet where the main headline read Superman Defeated in bold typeface letters. The heading below that read, Cops Dub Suspect “Metallo.” Lois frowned, staring at the image of Metallo with his hand around Superman’s neck as the two struggled against each other.

“Lois, you and Kent get anywhere on this Metallo?” Perry’s voice interrupted her thoughts.

Lois looked up at him with a sigh. “Still running down leads.”

Perry drawled out a long, “Uh-huh, speaking of Kent. Anyone seen him this morning?”

Jimmy piped in, “He called in this morning. He’ll be in this afternoon. Came down with a cold.”

Perry nodded then moved his attention to the next unsuspecting victim. Lois let out a long sigh, tapping her hand on the conference room table. Clark had called in this morning. That was good, right? She didn’t have to cover for him. It didn't feel good though. She hadn’t seen him since yesterday afternoon. She hadn’t talked to him. When she’d gone by his apartment last night no one had been home. When she’d tried to call she kept getting voicemail. The longer she went without talking to him the more irritable she got.

“All right, that’s it folks.” Perry called out and the conference room quickly emptied out, leaving herself with Jimmy as Perry gathered his things at the other end of the conference room table.

Lois stared at the image on the front page of the Planet once more and pushed it aside once more. Jimmy walked up to her cautiously, taking the empty chair next to her. “I never thought I’d see the day Superman would lose a fight.”

Lois nodded, trying to control the emotion and anxiety in her voice as she spoke. “Superman was hurt, Jimmy. When we’re sick or hurt we go to a doctor. Where does he go for help?”

Jimmy’s brow furrowed, “ I guess I've never thought about that. I mean, he always seemed so... I don't know… invincible.”

Perry cleared his throat, cutting into the conversation at just the right time because Lois didn’t know how to respond. She’d thought of Superman as invincible for so long just as Jimmy had, but these past few months she’d come to learn he had just as many flaws, fears, and doubts like anyone else. He was Clark. That was Clark in pain and nursing his wounds after his fight with Metallo.

“Jimmy! I think it's time you and I had a little talk about the quality of your work.” Perry’s voice was monotone as Jimmy stood to his feet full of hope.

“Really, Chief? That’s great!” Jimmy said happily.

“Son, I can't tell you when I've been more disappointed.” Perry spoke harshly and Jimmy’s face fell. “You let a great opportunity slip right through your fingers.”

“ I... I don't understand…” Jimmy stammered.

“ You had the chance to shoot something every photo-journalist dreams of. A defining moment in history, a fight between Superman and an extraordinary creation that's shaken the security of every citizen in this city.” Perry urged, putting his arm around Jimmy’s shoulder, pointing at the imaginary view of the defining moment.

“But Chief, that's my picture on the front page…” Jimmy tried to argue, confused.

“I know that.” Perry sighed, “But according to witnesses, Superman was left beaten by this Metallo. Where are those photos? The images that tell us we're alone and vulnerable. You didn't get one shot of the Man of Steel on his knees.”

Lois looked down at the table then met Jimmy’s eyes, full of remorse. “I, uh, I ran out of film.” Jimmy lied. Perry shook his head in disappointment and Lois sighed, unable to hide the truth or let Jimmy cover for her.

“That's not true, Perry. I told Jimmy not to take those pictures.” Lois supplied, meeting Perry’s gaze.

Disappointment crossed Perry’s face, “What? Why?”

Lois looked down, taking a deep breath, “I guess... I didn't want the world to see Superman like that.”

Perry nodded, looking to Jimmy and pointing to the door, “Jimmy, I'll talk to you later.” Jimmy nodded and headed for the door. Perry waited until the door was closed before responding. “Now, Lois, I know you have personal feelings toward Superman. We all do. He’s the Daily Planet’s bread and butter for stories and seems to keep a certain pair of reporters out of trouble for which I’m very grateful.” He gave her a rueful look, “But our job is to report the news, exactly as it happens, without shading it one way or another to suit our needs.”

Lois nodded, “I know, Perry. It was a mistake. It won't happen again.”

His jaw tightened, “Part of me says I should assign someone else to cover this story.” Lois bit her lower lip, preparing for the worst. She would deserve it if he did. She’d crossed a line yesterday...a big one. “But the smarter part says I should let my top reporter prove to me why she’s the best.”

“Thanks, Perry,” Lois patted his arm, standing to his feet.

Clark listened to his mother on the other end of the phone, staring at his reflection in the bathroom mirror. He could see the shadow of a bruise on his throat from where Corbin had grabbed him yesterday. “I don’t know, mom. All I know is I got dizzy and weak when I got near him.”

“I thought you said the sample of Kryptonite Lex Luthor had was destroyed?” His mom asked.

“Who knows how big that sample Wayne Irig sent for testing was? The piece the police recovered wasn’t very big.” Clark responded with a sigh, “It’s got to be Kryptonite. I just don’t know if he’s made of it or carrying it.”

His mom was silent for a moment before adding, “Have you talked to Lois?”

“No, not yet,” Clark sighed, feeling the corners of his mouth twitch at the mention of his girlfriend’s name. She’d tried to come by last night to check on him but he just couldn’t face her. Despite his past experience with Luthor and not looking before he lept into action he still found himself at the mercy of that poisonous rock. If Lois hadn’t…

“Clark?” His mother’s voice penetrated his thoughts. “Is everything alright?”

“Everything’s fine.” He forced a smile. “I just got to figure out what I’m going to do.”

“You need to talk to Lois.” His mom said firmly. “She’s probably worried sick.”

“I know.” He said solemnly. “I will. Bye.” He hung up the phone. He let out a long sigh, staring at the cut above his eyebrow in disgust. It didn’t look like that one would heal on it’s own before he had to go into work. He aimed a beam of heat vision at the mirror, allowing it to reflect off it and to his skin to painfully cover the cut with a layer of loosened skin.

He let out a low groan, holding his head for a moment as he waited for the burning sensation to fade away. He was slowly gaining his wits back but he wasn’t completely back to a hundred percent yet.

“You need to talk to Lois.” the words ran through his mind. His mother’s reminder to stop avoiding her. She knew him too well. It was hard to admit he needed help. He was used to being the help.

“Clark!?” the loud insistent tapping at the front door reached his ears and he sighed.

“Speaking of which.” He muttered to himself.

“I know you’re in there, Clark Kent. Open this door right now!” She shouted from the other side of the door.

He sighed, grabbing his plaid button shirt from the bed and putting it on, buttoning it halfway up by the time he reached the front door. “You know I do have neighbors.” He said, answering the door with a rueful expression.

Lois ignored the comment and pushed her way inside, closing the door behind her with a loud thud. “I have been worried sick! You don’t answer the phone or the door but you make the time to call Jimmy and call in sick this morning?!”

Clark let out a long breath, “I wasn’t sure what to say.”

“How about this?” She gave a sarcastic tone and began imitating a conversation. “‘How are you Clark?’ ‘Pretty crappy Lois.’” She gave him an annoyed look. “Little thing called communication. I think you’ve heard of it.”

He took a tentative step toward her, “I know. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have shut you out. I just…” He stopped when he saw the worry in her eyes. “I didn’t mean to scare you. I just got caught up in my own head. I’m sorry. I wasn’t thinking.”

“No you weren’t.” Lois agreed, letting a partial smile spread across the corners of her mouth.

He placed a hand on her shoulder. “I am sorry.”

“Are you okay?” she asked, pointing to the shadow of a bruise that still was evident on his collarbone.

“My ego’s more bruised than anything.” He admitted with a smile.

“Don’t ever scare me like that again.” She warned, wagging her finger at him.

“I won’t.” He promised, leaning in to kiss her.

“What happened?” Lois asked, wrapping her arms around his neck.

He let out a low sigh, “Kryptonite.”

“Yeah, I figured that.” She said with a wry look.

“Thank you,” He gave her a small smile. “If you hadn’t showed up when you did…”

“I’m just glad it worked.” She said resting her head on his shoulder.

“Me too.” He admitted, running his hand up her back.

“Are you going to be okay?” She asked, running a hand over the dark bruise on his collarbone.

“I should be back to a hundred percent in a few hours.” He shrugged. “Come on, let’s see if we can get to the bottom of what happened to Corbin.”

A few hours later, Lois looked at Clark with a sigh of relief. “Looks like that bruise is just about gone.”

“Yeah, thankfully most of the bruises and cuts seem to have healed up.” Clark admitted, tapping his hand on the table.

Lois had set her research on Johnny Corbin and what they had on Emmet Vale out for them to go through while they waited for Clark’s bruises to heal. “From what I’ve been able to gather it looks like this Angel character was with Corbin yesterday and he was shot during that robbery.”

“The cops said one of the assailants was injured. We looked at hospitals but no one ever showed up.” Clark pointed out.

“We also know Emmet Vale’s dream was to create a cyborg.” Lois pointed out, “And according to Bobby Bigmouth there was an advertisement on the streets for a living human brain. Five thousand dollar reward.”

“For a petty criminal that’s nothing to sneeze at.” Clark said, taking a sip of his tea. “So you’re thinking this Angel character turned Corbin over to the Vale brothers?”

“It adds up.” Lois pointed out. Her phone rang and she sighed, “One sec.” She pulled her phone out and answered it, “Hey Jimmy, what’s up?”

“Hey, I got that address for you on Rollie Vale.” Jimmy said on the other end of the phone. “ The guy who runs FutureTech magazine says they're always sending rejected manuscripts back to him.”

Lois nodded, grabbing a paper and pen as she responded, “Go ahead.” She listened for a moment and frowned, “That’s a PO Box, Jimmy.”

“Yeah, but I checked and it's one of those private mailbox places. Maybe they have another address for him.” Jimmy suggested.

“Okay, thanks, Jimmy.” Lois hung up the phone. “Looks like we’ve got a PO Box to snoop into.” She said, handing the address to Clark.

Lois and Clark walked down Broad Street, checking the addresses on the buildings until they found themselves standing in front of the New Troy Mail Express. It was a red and white brick building with tall glass windows where the front desk was visible from the outside.

“This is it.” Lois pointed, walking up to the door.

“Okay, what’s the plan?” Clark asked, looking around.

“I distract and you snoop?” Lois suggested, opening the front door.

Clark nodded, letting out a sigh as he lowered his glasses, looking around the bleak mailroom. He heard Lois begin asking the clerk about rates for the PO Boxes and security as he continued scanning each box with his x-ray vision. Two rows down he found the box he was looking for. A letter addressed to Rollie Vale from Wind-Up Toy Weekly and an eleven by fourteen size manilla envelope that was addressed to Rollie Vale and from Infinity Laboratories. 322 Gilmore St., New Troy, Metropolis. “Bingo.” he said to himself.

He turned and saw Lois pointing at the PO Boxes on the left side, “What’s the difference between those PO Boxes and these?”

The clerk seemed to be losing his patience with Lois, “Ma’am, as I said before there’s no difference. They’re just…”

“Uh,” He fought the urge to call Lois by her name due to them being here to snoop, “Honey?”

That got a surprised expression from Lois and a sigh of relief from the clerk. “I think it’s almost time for that appointment.” His eyes pointed to the door.

“Oh, right!” She smiled, “We should get going.” She nodded, “Thank you for your help.” She called over her shoulder. Once they were out the door she whispered, “What’d you find out?”

“I found Vales's box. The only thing in it was a bill from Wind-up Toy Weekly an envelope with a return address from a place called Infinity laboratories.” He explained, pointing to the cab waiting for them and held the door open for her.

“Infinity Laboratories?” Lois echoed. “Never heard of them.”

Clark climbed into the cab next to her. “I guess we should find out what we can about them.”

“And hopefully we can find Lucy before Corbin does.” Lois agreed.

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube