My Own Worst Enemy
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 15

Clark hung up the mobile phone and ducked into an alleyway to change into his Superman suit. He wasn’t sure where Lois was, but he could feel something was wrong. He called Lucy to make sure Jon was taken care of before continuing his search for Lois. Just as he became airborne images popped into his head, and he let out an excruciating cry.

<<The image of Hobb’s Bay came to him. Lois, crying and trying to run.

“Get off of me!”

The image of an old rundown street near the pier and the number ‘373’ popped into his head.>>

“Where did that come from?” He wondered aloud.

Bill Church Jr. laid an image out on the table as he conducted the staff meeting with his lieutenants. “Gentlemen, we have a leak. Our hold on Metropolis was thwarted by one lowly CSI worker. I don’t care how it’s done. I don’t want details. Just make sure the message is sent that you don’t cross Intergang and live to tell about it.”

A grumble of agreement filled the room, and Bill Church Jr. smiled to himself. “Make me proud.”

Lucy looked over her shoulder as she made her way through the Daily Planet lobby doors. She turned the corner and went down the long hallway that led to the daycare facility where her nephew was under the care of Ms. Deb and Ms. Lily. Clark’s message had been cryptic. He couldn’t tell her why or what the circumstances were. Just that she needed to pick up Jon. The worry in his voice was unnerving.

She looked over her shoulder once more and breathed a sigh of relief when she saw no one was behind her. ‘Pull it together.’ she thought to herself.

They’d landed in a run-down building near Hobb’s Bay. After they’d landed, he’d changed into a pair of jeans and t-shirt with the familiar looking glasses her husband wore. She’d tried to run. That had been a mistake.

“Get off of me!” Lois fought against the stranger that looked and sounded like her husband but obviously was not. His hand clamped over her mouth as he pinned her against the wall, holding her in place.

He’d flown.

He had super-speed.

“Are you going to stop trying to hit me?” he asked in an irritable tone, looking at her for confirmation.

She whimpered against him when she felt his body press against her as he pinned her arms up over her head with ease. He looked at her and whispered, “I’m not going to hurt you. I just want to talk.”

He removed his hand, and she began to cry, “Get off of me!”

“Not until you calm down.” He said sternly.

“Who the hell are you?” she asked, realizing that fighting him wasn’t doing her any good. He was probably as strong as her husband.

He flew.

How could he fly?

“I’m Clark.” He said, running his palm over her jawline.

She flinched away from him, “You are not Clark!”

“Yes, I am.” The doppelganger said, grabbing her chin, forcing her to look at him. “I’m not going to hurt you, Lois—I would never hurt you.”

“Let go of me.” She ordered vehemently, feeling a twisting in her stomach as she felt his breath against her neck.

“I’m not going to hurt you.” He repeated.

“Then get off of me!” she spat angrily.

“I just want to talk.” He whispered, running a hand down her side as he pressed himself against her.

“Fine. Talk.” She snapped, gasping in surprise when she felt his hand move to the hem of her skirt. “Get your hands off of me.”

“God, you’re more beautiful than I remember,” he whispered in her ear, moving to cup her cheek, a motion her husband had done countless times before.

She jerked her face away from him, feeling a sense of dread fill her mind as she felt his palm against her jaw. “Hands to yourself!” He felt, looked, and sounded like her husband but she already knew he wasn’t. He’d already he admitted he wasn’t. The problem was, trying to convince her body of that. He was too close. She snapped her eyes closed, looking away from him. “Let go of me.”

He ignored her plea, running his hand through her hair as he whispered, “Do you remember the last time I held you like this?” He whispered in her ear, “When I ripped that dress off of you after our first Kerth win? When I held you against our bedroom wall and made love to you over and over again?”

She could feel the blood pulse in her abdomen at the memory. How could he know that? She could feel her mouth go dry as she struggled to form a response. “Th-that was –How do you—” her voice trembled as she spoke.

“Because I am Clark. I know everything about you, Lois.” He murmured, pressing his lips against her throat, sending a shiver down her spine. “Like right now you’re trying to figure out how I know exactly where to touch you to make you melt in my arms.”

She tried to regain control but still felt her voice wavering as she spoke, “You’re not Clark. He would never –”

“Never what?” He asked, turning her face to look at him. ”You seem so sure I’m not your husband, but you and I both know only two people could know about that night.”

She bit her lower-lip, turning away from him. This didn’t make sense. How did he know about that night? She could feel her legs tremble at the memory and he smiled, leaning into her. His other hand moved back up the length of her arms, separating her wrists from one another and intertwining his hands with hers. A movement that her husband had done countless times.

“Your favorite movie is When Harry Met Sally. You’ve seen it a million times and can quote the entire thing verbatim, but you still cry at the end.” His mouth twitched at her, and she looked down, trying to calm the hammering in her chest. He looked and felt like Clark. He knew things that only he would know.

“You won’t go inside the Lexor Hotel because of what almost happened there with Roarke.” He said gently, releasing her right hand and moving his hand to cup her cheek. It was something he’d done countless times before. She could feel her heart hammering in her chest as he continued, “The first time you kissed me was on the dance floor at that party after they drugged you. That was the first time I ever came close to killing someone.” She saw a solemn look cross his face, but it was gone in an instant as he released her other hand and cupped her face with both hands, “The first time we made love was after we were trying to hide from Harrington in that supply closet. Your sister walked in on us the next morning.”

She could feel tears burning in the corners of her eyes as he continued to recite memory after memory that only Clark could know about her. “How did you—”

“Because I am Clark—your husband. I know everything about you.” He whispered in her ear, tightening his grip on her as he nuzzled her ear. “I know you twist your toes when they’re going numb from us making love all night.”

‘Stop!’ her mind screamed at her. ‘He’s not Clark! Clark wouldn’t kidnap you.’

“N-no.” She stammered, unable to push the images of the very heated encounters between herself and her husband out of her mind. “You are not Clark. You are not—”

His mouth smirked, and he whispered, “Go ahead. Say it. Tell me to stop.”

“I…”

He then leaned in and whispered, “You can’t, can you?”

He leaned in to kiss her, and she felt tears burning in the corners of her eyes. Despite the memories, he seemed to have of her and Clark’s life together. It wasn’t Clark. He wasn’t her Clark.

“Stop! Please stop,” she pleaded with him.

He pulled away from her and looked at her in surprise. “I’m not going to hurt you, Lois. I could never hurt you.”

“Let me go.” She flinched, trying to free herself from his grasp, desperate to get some distance from this man that looked and sounded like Clark but clearly didn’t behave like him at all.

He looked down at his feet then back at her. “I’m not going to hurt you, Lois.” He repeated once more, releasing his grasp on her.

“You’re not Clark.” She shook her head adamantly, willing the images he’d tried to paint in her mind to leave.

“Yes, I am.” He said, taking a step toward her. “I am Clark.” He ran a hand up to cup her cheek, “You are my wife. I’m not going to hurt you.”

“This is insanity,” She whimpered against him. “You just said you were—”

He pressed a finger to her lips and silenced her. “It’s a bit complicated to explain.” He whispered.

“Stay back.” She ordered, taking a step away from him. “Just stay there.” She said, holding her hands up and backing away from him. She knew if she allowed him to touch her again she could come very close to succumbing to his charms. He sounded like him. He looked like him. He flew like him. But he wasn’t Clark. He wasn’t her Clark.

“You don’t mean that.” He whispered, “I can see it in your eyes. You want me. You want me so bad. It’s okay, Lois. I want you too.”

“You’re not Clark.” She repeated.

“Yes, I am.” He argued. “I’m just as much Clark as the other man you call your husband. I can fly. I have x-ray vision, super-strength, heat vision and more. Just like him.”

“I..I don’t understand.” She began shakily. “How did this happen? Who are you?”

His face fell to a stony expression. “I’m told it comes from something they called Black meteorite. At least that’s what Intergang dubbed it. Either way, it leaves us with two Clark Kents and two Supermen.” He said meeting her gaze.

“Black?” she echoed uncertainly.

“Apparently there’s an entire collection.” He held up his forearm, sliding his shirt sleeve up for her to see the bruises. Guess who’s been the guinea pig for the last few months?”

Her eyes widened when she saw the purple and blue marks on his arm. “Oh my God!” she took a step toward him to examine his arm.

“After the split that happened with our fight with Metallo, I wasn’t exactly sure who I was. Intergang found me and decided I’d make a good test subject.” He said softly.

“Split?” she echoed, trying to put the pieces together. The fight with Metallo. Clark said he felt like his insides were being split into two. What if it hadn’t been an anxiety attack but an actual split? If that were true then what he was saying would make sense. He shared the same memories because it was him.

“Metallo.” She breathed, realization dawned on her as the pieces began to fit. “What are you?”

“I’m the part of himself he tries to hide. The part of him that wants to destroy the people that took him from you. I’m the part of him that he’s buried so deep inside he doesn’t even know it exists.”

<<“Fine, whatever. You know him. He gets up and leaves at the drop of the hat with ridiculous excuses. You can never find him when you need him. Then he shows up at bars across town known for their loose clientele.”>>

“You’re the one Jimmy saw with Mayson.” She accused.

“I didn’t remember who I was. It was right after the split.” He explained, moving to cup her cheek, “I would never hurt you like that, Lois.”

“No,” she shook her head adamantly. “Don’t touch me.” She hissed out angrily as question after question raced through her mind. She bit her inner lip, unable to find her voice as thousands of thoughts ran through her mind. Finally, she found the strength in her vocal cords to speak, “What about Mayson?”

“What about her?” he asked, confused.

“Jimmy saw you with her.” She looked back at him with an accusatory stare.

“When I didn’t remember who I was.” He pointed out, running his palms up and down her shoulders. She jerked her face away from him, and he sighed, “Lois, you are my first and only.” He pulled her to him and whispered in her ear. “I’m your husband. Just as much as he is.”

Her mind flashed back to the countless times she and Clark had made love since his encounter with Metallo. This version of him was just as much her husband as the man she’d shared a bed with…a home with for the past few months. She caught sight of his left hand and sighed, pulling away from him.

“No, no, you’re not.” She pointed at his left hand, noting the important piece of jewelry that was missing from his hand. “I want to go home.”

“Lois,” she could hear the crack in his voice as he looked up at her.

“You threw that shooter into the police car.” She accused, recalling his actions from earlier that day. “Clark wouldn’t do that.”

“He had it coming. He could have killed a lot of kids that day.” He snapped back irritably.

“You almost killed him!” she snapped back.

“But I didn’t!” he retorted, “I was very careful.”

“Yeah, twenty-two broken bones is very careful, isn’t it?” she pressed, poking her hand into his chest defiantly.

“There are a lot of things you don’t understand. You could never understand.”

Anger flashed in his eyes, and she crossed her arms over her chest defiantly. “The Clark Kent I know would never do those things. He would never hurt anyone intentionally and—”

“I didn’t!” he argued.

“You threw him into that police car. What did you expect was going to happen?” She snapped angrily.

“I was doing what I had to do. One more second and those children could have been killed.” He argued angrily.

She swallowed hard, feeling a sense of dread go down her spine as she saw a flicker of red flash in his eyes. She’d never seen him like this before. “There’s always another way.” She said, softly.

“But those other ways have consequences I wasn’t prepared to live with.” He said hoarsely. “You think this has been easy for me? I live with the consequences of my actions every day. I live every day choosing who lives and who doesn’t. I made a decision.”

“You made the wrong decision.” She corrected. “The Clark Kent I know would never do that. The Clark Kent I know would never kidnap me or ….or try to force me to do anything I didn’t want to do!” She snapped irritably.

“I never forced you.” He corrected.

She ignored the remark and continued, “And he certainly wouldn’t allow himself to be caught in a compromising situation like that with Mayson Drake.”

“For the last time, nothing happened!” he argued irritably, pacing in front of her. “You’re the only one.” He took another step toward her and continued. “You think this is easy for me? I remember every second of every day with you, but somehow I’ve been robbed of the right to be your husband.” He held up his naked left hand.

The images he’d planted in her mind continued to haunt her as she tried to regain control of herself once more. She had to get out of here. She had to think.

“Lois?” He looked at her in concern.

“Please, just stop. This is too much to digest and I can’t…” she felt tears falling down her face as she backed away from him.

A loud sonic-boom caused her to jump. She looked up and saw Clark—her Clark holding the other Clark against the wall by his arm. “I swear to God, you come near her again or hurt a hair on her head I will end you!”

She took a shaky breath, watching as her Clark –in the Superman uniform pinned the other Clark to the ground. She could feel the tears burning in the corners of her eyes as she fell to the floor in tears. It was over. They continued to argue around her as the tears fell down her cheeks one by one.

“You don’t have it in you!”

“Try me!”

“Doesn’t feel too good, does it?” He snapped back at him, “Knowing another man is with your wife.”

There was a sonic boom and then two strong arms wrapped around her, “Lois?” He held her tight, and she cried harder, fingering the gold band on his hand. “It’s okay. I’m right here, honey.”

“He looks and sounds ...just like you…” She whimpered in-between tears.

“It’s okay. It’s over. Shhh…” He soothed, holding her to him. “I’m right here. You’re safe.”

“He flew.” She cried.

“I know.” He said, rocking her back and forth. “Did he hurt you?”

She didn’t even know how to respond.

Did he hurt her?

He kidnapped her.

<<“You know you want me.”>>

“Lois?”

<<“I won’t hurt you.”>>

She looked up at Clark, unsure how to respond.

“Can we please just get out of here?” She whimpered hoarsely. She didn’t want to talk. She could feel goosebumps run down her spine as he scooped her into his arms and carried her with him out the window.

<<“Doesn’t feel too good, does it? Knowing another man is with your wife.”>>

Clark landed on the terrace with her, dropping her to her feet after a long flight under the stars. Lois had been quiet for most of the flight. She didn’t want to talk. It was driving him insane not knowing what had happened. What had his double done to her? She had been in tears, backing away from him when he had shown up.

“I had Lucy pick up Jon.” He said solemnly. “We can pick him up tonight or in the morning.”

Lois shook her head, “He’s probably already asleep. Just let him stay with Lucy tonight.” Her voice cracked as she spoke.

He pointed to the sliding glass door that led to their living room. “I’m just going to change. The door’s unlocked.”

“Thanks,” she nodded, heading inside.

He scanned the neighborhood to make sure he was out of sight, floating down behind the bushes to change back into his jeans and black button up shirt. He readjusted his glasses, checking once more that there was no one else around before walking up the steps to the back porch that led to their living room.

Inside he found Lois huddled in the corner of the couch with a red fleece blanket. “Lois? Honey?” he ran a hand over her shoulder uncertainly. “Did he hurt you?”

“No.” she said softly.

His lips tightened when he saw the unshed tears in her eyes. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“No.” she repeated, shaking her head.

“Lois,” He repeated, moving his hand to cup her cheek, “Are you sure you don’t want to talk about it?”

“What’s there to talk about?” She asked in between tears. “Someone that looks exactly like you and seems to have all your memories has shown up and is almost paralyzing criminals and and….”

“Lois,” He took a step toward her, placing a hand on her shoulder. “I’m not going to let him hurt you. I would never let anyone hurt you.”

“I know.” She said tearfully.

“Tell me what to do, and I’ll do it.” He whispered, pulling her to him. “What do you need me to do?”

“Kiss me,” she pleaded with him, grabbing him by the collar and pulling her to him.

He obliged, leaning in to kiss her. She sighed against him, and he leaned into her, encircling her waist with his arms. “I love you, Lois,” he whispered. “I won’t let anything happen to you.”

He felt her relax against him and smiled. She was safe. This imposter was gone, and he would make him pay for whatever it was he’d done to Lois to put her into a state of panic.

Her arms roamed aimlessly up and down his back, and he smiled against her lips. She lowered herself down to the couch, running her ankle up and down the back of his calf seductively, “Make love to me, Clark,” she whispered against his lips.

“How many samples were we able to obtain from the hidden vault?” Bill Church Jr. asked, looking over Lex Luthor’s shoulder as he examined the green glowing meteorite in his hand.

“Just about every sample your organization had. It’s a shame you felt the need to eliminate Bureau 39 before it’s usefulness could be tapped into.” Lex mused. “There’s no telling what intelligence you lost when you got rid of Trask.”

“He wasn’t focused on the goals of the organization.” Bill Church Jr. shrugged. His face tightened. “Bureau 39 never was part of Intergang. Just a tool we used to gain access to some of the government’s intel and keep us ahead of them.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure of that,” Lex said, pointing to the files on the desk across from him. “Dr. Lane had quite the detailed account of your father’s involvement in the start of Bureau 39.”

“Impossible.” Bill Church Jr. snorted. “Dad thought Trask was a crackpot. He was using him. He wouldn’t spend good money to chase one man’s…” He stopped when Lex Luthor stood up and handed him a glossy black and white image of Bureau 39’s founding members. “That’s impossible.”

“That’s your father, correct?” Lex confronted him with a grim expression. “Seems he isn’t as docile as you once thought?”

Rollie Vale finished measuring the last of the solution in the vial in front of him. “Everything set?” Bill Church asked, approaching him from behind.

“Perfect dosage,” Vale said with an evil grin. “How long are you going to continue to play both sides of the coin like this?”

“I’m waiting to see Billy show his cards then I’ll rip the carpet out from under him.” Bill Church said with a smug expression.

“It’s a dangerous game, Mr. Church,” Vale warned.

“It always is.” Church said smugly, “But Billy never responded to traditional forms of discipline.”

“He still has no idea you’ve been pulling the strings all along?” Vale asked in awe.

“There are a lot of things he doesn’t know,” Church said, pointing to the sleeping Metallo on the table across from Vale. “Have you made the transfer?”

“Green meteorite has been placed in Metallo’s heart. Seems to be holding strong. We’ll be waking him up in twenty-four hours to complete the programming.”

“And when Billy comes to you to program Metallo you’ll do as he says.” Bill Church instructed.

“Always, Mr. Church,” Vale responded with a grin

Five.

Clark had counted them.

Each and every delicious time his wife’s body had gone limp in his arms while they made love. She kept her legs wrapped around him in a vice-like grip, unwilling to free him from her grasp. He held her against him, whispering reassurances to her as he made love to her for the last few hours.

<<“You think you’re so perfect? Less damaged. The perfect hero, but I know the truth. I know how badly you want to destroy them. I know the only thing that keeps you from crossing that line.”>>

<<“I need you so much, Clark,”>>

<<“You think if given a choice she wouldn’t choose me over you?”>>

<<“Just take me home.”>>

<<“You aren’t the only one married to her. I’m the part of you she wants.”>>

<<“Make love to me, Clark,”>>

Something had happened. He wasn’t sure what, but he would make his doppelganger pay dearly for hurting Lois. Images from the scene in the bedroom flashed through his mind, and he tightened his arms around her protectively.

“I love you, Lois Lane Kent,” he whispered possessively in her ear.

She grinned against him, “I love you, Clark Kent.”

“I think even my legs are numb after that.” He whispered in her ear. She giggled as he ran his hand up and down her back.

She grinned, “I know. That was…” She let out a long sigh, “…so good.”

“Incredible.” He agreed, running his hands through her hair to cup her face. He leaned in to kiss her, feeling her arms tighten around him as he brushed featherlight kisses against her lips. “Just like you.” He reassured her. “I’m right here, Lois, and I’m not going to let anything happen to you or Jon.”

She let out a muffled sob against him, and he smoothed the hair out of her face, rolling them over, so she was facing him. “Honey, please talk to me.”

“It was you, but it wasn’t,” she said tearfully.

“It’s over.” He reminded her.

“He flew just like you.”

“I know.” He said softly.

“He said he was the part of you that you buried inside. A split or something he called a Black meteorite.”

“Black?” He asked, curious about the information she’d learned.

“Jimmy wasn’t seeing things. It was all him. I’m so sorry, Clark,” she cried against him.

“Hey, hey, hey, enough of that.” He soothed, holding her to him. “That’s not important.” He reassured her.
“He has your powers.” She said in a hoarse whisper.

“I know,” he said solemnly.

“Your memories.” She added.

“I know.” His face fell into a frown as he ventured on how to explain the dreams he’d been having recently. They had stopped until his encounter with Metallo. After finding his ship, they had disappeared. He found Lois from the ‘dreams’ that were coming to him.

“What is it?” Lois asked, a concerned expression fell on her face.

“I think I know how he has my memories.” He said in a hoarse whisper.

“How?” Lois asked.

“I think that’s where the dreams are coming from.” he finished solemnly.

“Dreams?” She echoed, not understanding.

“You remember the dreams I had when I first came back after Nightfall?” He prompted. She looked away, and her expression remained chilled as he continued. “They were coming back around the time we found the ship.”

“What?!”

“I didn’t want to upset you because you were dealing with so much already.” He continued, ignoring the angry expression in her eyes. “I went to Dr. Klein and explained what was going on. He ran a test and couldn’t find anything. The dreams seemed to stop after we found the ship.”

“Until after your fight with Metallo.” Lois finished for him. “You need to talk to Dr. Klein.”

“The Annihilator will be launched on EPRAD’s next shuttle.” Bill Church instructed. “In the core is a very large glowing green meteorite that will allow us to destroy Superman from anywhere in the world as well as destroy anyone that gets in the way.”

“Interesting proposal.” Mayson Drake said uncertainly, “Has it been approved by the military?”

“After Superman’s latest stunt the president was all too eager to sign the agreement.” Church beamed. “I’ll need your assistance in helping protect my stock in this of course.”

“Anything for a friend.” Mayson smiled.

“I’m not sure I understand,” Lois said, pacing in front of her father angrily. “You worked on a genetic tag to control Clark and in all this time never thought to mention it?” After their visit with Dr. Klein this morning they’d been instructed to talk to Dr. Lane since Dr. Klein was unfamiliar with what could be causing the memory flashes. Diving too deep into Superman’s past wasn’t something she or Clark were comfortable.

Sam sighed, looking down at his notes. “I didn’t think it was important! I gave you the research on the flash drive.”

“Sorry I don’t speak scientist!” Lois shot back angrily. “First you work for an organization whose soul purpose seems to be destroying my family. Then you help build the very cyborg that tried to kill my husband. Now, I find out you were helping them program him!”

“I didn’t know what it was for!” Sam argued.

“How am I supposed to trust you if you won’t be honest with me?” Lois shot back angrily.

Sam sighed, looking around the run-down laboratory. “Sit down, and I’ll tell you everything.”

Four Years Ago…

Sam Lane adjusted his tie nervously as he walked through the tall red doors, following the man in front of him. “You said this is a ‘Research’ position?” He inquired.

“Yes, best of the best work here, Dr. Lane. You’ll be doing research that tests the boundaries of everything you thought possible.”

“I still don’t understand how I got the job? I didn’t even apply—” Sam began but was cut off once more by the man.

“We keep a lookout for talent all over. The organization is very proud of its resources.”

“The organization?” Sam asked.

“Yes, ‘the organization.’” The man nodded.

“What is the organization?”

“That’s on a need-to-know basis, Dr. Lane.” He pressed a red button, and the doors opened to reveal a large lab, lit in white from one end to the other. “Here’s where you’ll be working. We’re very excited about bringing you on. Don’t disappoint us.”

“Yes, sir,” Sam looked around the room in marvel. He’d never seen such powerful equipment in all the hospitals and labs he’d worked for. “This is incredible.”

“The organization strives for the best.” The man beamed happily.

“They should be proud.” Sam grew thoughtful. “Who do I report to?”

“That would be me. Your Applied Science Director. I manage the research into ‘Project K’ and all the special weapons.”

He didn’t even have a name for his new boss.

“Project K?” Sam ventured cautiously.

“Need to know basis.”

“Ah, well, thank you for the opportunity, Mister---”

“Darryl. You can call me Mr. Darryl.”

Sam stared at the nursery window, watching as the nurses tended to his grandson. It had been shocking to hear what had happened to his daughter. He’d been working round the clock with the organization in developing a new weapon that was supposed to fight against chemical warfare by absorbing the toxins. It was some of his best work. His ex-wife had called him last week to tell him he should come to the hospital to see his grandson –if he even cared.

Of course, he cared.

Why wouldn’t he?

Finding out his daughter had not only been engaged without his knowledge –but pregnant—with her missing fiancé’s child. It had been a lot to take in. Lois had always been spontaneous. He’d thought he’d raised her to be smarter than this though. Not only had she been put in danger but now she was left to raise a child on her own. She insisted this Clark Kent was still alive. If he was Sam knew he had a few words for the man for leaving his daughter and grandson like this.

“Brings back memories, doesn’t it?”

Sam turned to see Ellen standing behind him.

“He’s beautiful.” Sam cleared his throat, trying to hide the emotion that was beginning to build up.

A boy.

“The nurse I spoke with said he’s doing better. She thinks he should be ready to go home with Lois today.” Ellen continued.

“That’s good news.” Sam smiled.

“Lucy is taking a semester off to help Lois with Jamie.” Ellen continued. “Those two really are wonderful young ladies.”

“Yes, they are. I’m glad…” He cleared his throat, “I’m glad they turned out okay.”

“Don’t forget to support his head,” Lois said nervously, watching as he held Jamie in his arms for the first time. He looked around the apartment. It had been completely transformed to make room for his grandson. His heart burst with pride as he watched both his daughters come together to take care of him.

A small nursery was setup in Lois’ bedroom. A play area had been set up in the corner of the living room, and a changing station was set up in the alcove near the window. She’d thought of everything.

A sharp jab on his finger pulled him back to the present. He looked down at the little boy in his arms and smiled, “You’ve got quite a grip there, Jamie.”

“He’s got his daddy’s eyes,” Lois said softly as Jamie’s face lit up, looking at his mother. Sam looked at the picture of his daughter and the young man he’d learned to know as ‘Clark’ from Lucy and Lois.

It had taken him three weeks to get the nerve to show his face on Lois’ doorstep. His last conversation with her had been an argument over her pursuing Journalism instead of Medical School. He’d kicked her out, and she’d moved out that night, moving back in with her mother. He’d never heard from her after that aside from the occasional ‘hello’ at family gatherings.

Three weeks.

It had taken him three weeks to get the courage up.

In those three weeks, he’d reached out to Lucy to find out what he could about this Clark. The more he dug into what had happened in Smallville, the more he realized his first assessment of the situation had been wrong.

“Ah!”

Jamie yanked his finger again, and he looked down at him with a smile. “You need a rattle, little guy.”

“He’s got all these toys but would rather grab fingers, arms, and hair,” Lois said wryly.

“Stubborn, are we?”

Jamie gave him a slow smile.

Sam grinned. “He smiled at me.”

“Uh-huh…” Lois said in a skeptical tone.

“Well, sure he…”

Then it hit his nostrils.

Lucy laughed, “Here, I’ll take him.”

A glass test tube filled with blood was placed in his hands. Sam Lane looked up at Darryl in confusion. “What is this?”

“Blood sample from a subject we’re testing. I want you to run some tests and let us know if you come across anything…abnormal.”

“Okay.” Sam agreed, taking the test tube from him.

“Get OUT!” Lois snapped angrily, holding the small baby to her chest as she wiped her tear-stained cheeks.

“All I’m saying is it’s time to face facts. You have a child to think about, and you can’t continue to—” Sam Lane found himself being pushed toward the door to his daughter’s apartment.

“You need to go,” Lucy said, opening the door.

“I don’t understand why you haven’t declared him dead. All the evidence points to it. Lois, you’re denying yourself and your son so many resources by…”

The hard wooden door slammed in his face.

“…continuing to live in denial.” He finished softly. He raised his hand to knock on the door but then stopped mid-swing. “Goodbye Jamie.” He whispered softly, turning down the hallway to leave.

“I want some answers, and I want them now.” Sam laid the test tube down on Darryl’s desk.

“Something…wrong?” Darryl edged cautiously.

“Where did you get the blood sample?” Sam asked, advancing toward him.

“Why does it matter?”

Irritated with Darryl’s lack of response Sam grabbed him by the collar, “I swear to God I’ll snap you like a twig you maggot! You come near my family again, and I will unleash a living hell on you that will rival any nightmare you ever thought, dreamt, or imagined!!”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about!” Darryl snapped angrily. “Don’t you dare threaten me! I’m the one in charge. I’m the one calling the shots!”

“Not anymore,” Sam growled angrily, throwing him to the ground.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Darryl asked uneasily.

“Seems I have a new supervisor,” Sam said smugly. “You didn’t get the memo?” He asked, watching Darryl’s face twitch in surprise. “Seems you’ve been demoted.”

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube