My Own Worst Enemy
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 14

Two Months Later…

“Are you sure you’re going to be okay?” Lois asked apprehensively, watching as Lucy held Jon against her chest, making himself comfortable. “We can cut the day short if you –”

“We’ll be fine.” Lucy cut her off. “Go. Have fun. Enjoy some much-needed time alone.”

“Thank you, Lucy,” Clark smiled, wrapping an arm around Lois’ waist. “We’ll have both our cell phones on. Just call if you need anything or have any questions.”

“This is not my first rodeo, you two.” Lucy laughed at them. “Go! Have fun. No calling allowed for at least an hour.”

Lois exchanged a look with Clark. She knew she had to get used to leaving Jon with someone other than Clark. So far the only person he’d been left alone with had been Martha and that had only been for a half an hour nap that both she and Clark had been desperate for after her delivery.

“We’re going. We’re going.” Clark smiled, leaning in to place a hand on Jon’s head. “Be good for your Aunt Lucy, bud.”

“He’s just waiting for the two of you to leave so we can start the party.” Lucy teased.

“Uh-huh,” Lois smirked, giving her sister a hug. “Thank you.”

“Love you. Both of you. Now go!” Lucy pointed to the door.

Lois allowed Clark to guide her to the door, looking back one last time at her sister.

‘He’s fine.’

Clark closed the door behind them and turned her in his arms. “Now, about this date…”

She giggled, leaning into him as he captured her mouth with his. “A whole weekend of you all to myself.” She ran her hands up and down his chest seductively.

“This time we’re actually leaving the bedroom.” He murmured against her lips.

Bibbo Bibbowski cleared off the bar, listening as the music played around him. Business was looking good. He prepared for a long weekend, checking his inventory and making sure his staff was ready. The truck was unloaded and the bar was fully stocked. His band was starting to hook up their equipment. The bar was slowly filling up with customers.

He spotted a young blonde in her early thirties and a navy business suit with a mini skirt that just barely reached her knees. Bibbo smiled to himself, admiring the view and enjoying his musings on thoughts of what he could do if he were a younger man.

“Oh, what a day I’ve had.” she groaned, perching herself up on the bar stool. She laid a twenty-dollar bill on the bar and pushed it to him. “Martini. Dirty.”

He smiled, taking the bill and pocketing it in his breast pocket before filling her order. “Coming right up!”

“Hey,” Lois bumped his hip, looking toward the pier. “We gonna stand here all day or is there a reason for this trip to the coast?” She inquired with a twinkle in her eyes.

He took her hand in his, running his thumb over the gold band, pulling her to him. “This is one of the best spots. My dad used to take me out here as a kid. His annual fishing trip with his dad which got passed down to me.”

“It’s beautiful here.” She observed, looking over the pier they were standing on. “It’s nice to get away from it all every once in awhile.” She shot him a half-smile, “Even if you did have to twist my arm to get me to agree to this trip.”

“Yeah, but we’ve done nothing but work and take care of Jon these last few months.” Clark pointed out, wrapping his arms around her. “Getting away and letting Lucy have some much needed bonding time with Jon is important...for all of us.” Clark reasoned, leaning in to kiss her.

“It is nice not to have to worry about the next feeding or changing…” she relented, leaning back against him.

“Or what combination of food equals crabby Jon.” Clark added shaking his head. He frowned, hearing the thunder rumble above the clouds.

Lois laughed, feeling the raindrops begin to pour on them one-by one. He pulled his coat over them, running toward the nearest shelter to get out of the rain. She leaned back against the brick building her hair damp from the rain and turned to him. “Here,” she ran a hand through his hair, tussling it as she leaned in to kiss him.

“Thank you,” he whispered against her lips.

“I don’t think we’ll be fishing anytime soon.” She said, licking her lips as she ran a hand up and down his chest, fingering the famous ‘S’ on his wet t-shirt.

“I could take us back to the hotel I suppose…to change.” His eyes lingered over the teal blouse that clung to her in the right places.

“You could.” She nodded, reaching for the hem of his t-shirt. “What exactly did you have planned for us today besides conveniently getting me soaked in the rain on a fishing trip?”

“I was planning on cooking the fish.” He said with a grin, running his hands through her hair, “I guess I’ll have to settle for buying them.”

“No more fishing?” she asked with a fake pout.

“Nope.” He leaned in to kiss her.

Mayson looked around the bar, taking in the atmosphere. Why her witness had to meet in the seediest part of town was beyond her understanding. After finishing up her deposition she’d gotten as far away from Southside as she could and found the closest bar that was open.

It wasn’t overly crowded.

She could see a few people had filled up the bar stools. She reached for the menu that sat in front of her and began scanning for the least greasy item she could find. She was famished. The last few weeks had taken a toll on her. The DA’s office was under fire for their involvement in the police corruption and now the mayor was pointing the limelight back at them for allowing Intergang to continue to threaten the people of Metropolis. It wasn’t like she wasn’t trying to put them away.

“Everything’s all set, Bibbo.” A familiar voice said on the other end of the bar.

She looked up and did a double take. Sure enough standing by the bar in black jeans and a worn out t-shirt that fit him in just the right places was Clark Kent.

“Hi,” Clark brushed a strand of hair out of Lois’ face, nuzzling her neck as he held her close.

She grinned back at him, staring down at the living room from where they were floating on the ceiling. “Hi,” She let out a long sigh, “That was some date.” She giggled.

“Not exactly what I had in mind when I said we were going to actually leave the bedroom, but I’m not complaining.” He whispered in her ear.

“You know technically we did spend all day…not in the bedroom.” She pointed to the ceiling. “See? Ceiling. Not the bedroom.”

He chuckled, “Sorry about the pier and picnic.”

“We can always try again tomorrow…” she breathed heavily against him. “or not …”

He began to stir.

Images from his dreams still haunted him.

Who was that brunette that haunted his dreams?

The mysterious blonde he’d met earlier seemed to know him. She said his name was ‘Clark.’ What was her name again?

Mayson.

Yeah, that’s it.

Mayson.

He stared up at the dimly lit walls. Nothingness filled his mind as he stared at the window that showed him it was still dark out.

One kiss became two, then four until they both lost count. Her arms wrapped around him, deepening the kiss. He groaned his approval against her lips as she ran her palms up and down his back. She molded her body against his.

His hand fingered the back of her head, slowly breaking off the kiss. He looked at her through his passion-filled eyes, silently asking for permission. She nodded mutely, unable to voice the demands her body was screaming at her.

A split-second later his lips were on hers. Both of his hands cupped her face, outlining it as his mouth found hers, desperately seeking her taste as his hands moved up and down her sides. She nodded mutely, and he rolled them over, allowing her to wrap her legs around his torso.

He moved both hands to cup both sides of her face, tracing the frame of her face as he looked at her tenderly. “I love you, Lois,” He murmured, resting his head against hers.

“I love you too, Clark.”

He let out a low growl as the piercing pain hit the back of his neck. Everything went numb as he felt the throbbing pain pulse through his veins.

Memories flooded back one by one.

Bureau 39

Lois

Trask

Lois

Jamie

Lois

Superman

Lois

Met U

Lois

Nightfall

Lois

All of it came rushing back as he felt himself become overpowered by four armed guards.

What was happening?

“You sure that’s him?”

“I saw him. That’s the double all right.”

“They look the same.”

“It’s no matter now.”

Flashes from his life and his fight with Metallo came back. The iron fist. The black stone that made him feel like he was being split into two. Something clicked inside his mind as realization washed over him.

He wasn’t crazy.

He wasn’t a science experiment.

He was Superman.

He was Clark Kent.

He felt his body give out as darkness fell over him.

Present Day…

Clark soared through the sky, searching for a clue that would lead him to where this double was. Every if-scenario began racing through his mind. How had a double of himself been created? There were instances over the last few months of superhuman rescues that were impossible for him to have done. Months. there had been a double of himself walking the streets of Metropolis for months and he hadn’t known. Why?

Report after report of superhuman rescues where armed robbers were being stopped by someone throwing the assailant into the police cars, gunmen seriously injured. It was behavior he never thought possible of himself yet here was this other Superman...this double performing these heinous acts.

The sound of a loud crash below caught his attention. He looked down and saw a school bus being held by none other than Superman. To the other side was an armored car that had been thrown against the brick wall. His jaw tightened with distaste, uncertain who or what he was dealing with as he came into land.

Lois stared at the scene on the television, uncertain what to make of the scene that had unfolded. It was Clark, rescuing a school bus full of children by throwing armored car into the side of the brick building to avoid a collision. Information continued to come out about a bomb and gunman that had been on the scene. She took note of the address and headed toward the elevator.

The behavior of Superman was being called into question by reporters as the reports came in. She knew in her heart Clark would never do anything to hurt anyone, but that meant the Superman on the scene was not Clark.

Clark came in to land and within seconds the double disappeared. He followed the red and blue blur, trying to catch up to him. Who was he? Where did he come from? He had so many questions that plagued his mind. He needed them answered. Finally, he came in to land on the roof of Metropolis Towers, staring at the man in the familiar red and blue costume.

It was like staring into a mirror. He stared at the stranger in front of him that looked and sounded like him but was not him. He wore the same suit as him. He sounded like him, but he wasn’t him.

“Who are you?” Clark asked, staring at his double with a stern gaze.

“Who are you?” he shot back.

“You’re the one that’s been doing all of this. Throwing that shooter into the police car. Stopping those bank robbers by nearly killing them—”

“I did what needed to be done. A lot more than I can say for you.” The double spat back angrily.

“How did you get your powers?”

“I was born with them. Just like you.” He shot back, circling around him as he spoke.

Clark followed his gaze as he spoke, “Who are you?”

The double chuckled, looking around, “I guess no one can hear us up here.”

“Now you’re concerned with making a scene? ” Clark scoffed sternly. “You could have killed someone!”

“I was protecting the innocents.” His double retorted.

“Who are you?”

“I’m you. A better version of you.”

Clark scanned the double looking for anything that would explain his presence. No sign of robotics or mutated genes. He looked and sounded just like him. How was this possible?

“I’ll be the judge of that.” He shot back angrily, recalling his and Lois’ fight last night over someone that looked just like him having a date with Mayson Drake. The double was ruining his life. He was hurting people. Who knew how many times he’d used force to protect the innocent like that?

“I’m the part of you, you want to deny.” He snapped at him with an icy edge in his tone as he continued to circle him. “That damaged part of you that you’ve buried so deep inside you don’t even know it’s there. You can deny it all you want, but you know what I did today was something you’ve wanted to do for a long time. You wanted to make those men pay. You wanted to keep those children safe. You know it and I know it. I’m a part of you. Every memory you have, I have. You can’t deny it and you can’t destroy yourself.”

“I’m nothing like you!” Clark growled angrily.

“You think you’re so perfect? Less damaged. The perfect hero, but I know the truth. I know how badly you want to destroy them. I know the only thing that keeps you from crossing that line.” He taunted, meeting Clark’s gaze.

Realization dawned on him when he saw the smug expression on the other man’s face. “You stay the hell away from her!”

“Or what?” he mocked him with a laugh. “You can’t stop me and you know it. I’m just as strong as you. I’m just as fast as you. I am you.” He growled angrily taking a step toward him so he was only a few inches from his face. “You’ve had how many months now? How many months of living your life with her—with my son?”

“He is not your son!” Clark bit back venomously. “I’m warning you—”

“You think if given a choice she wouldn’t choose me over you?” He asked, narrowing his eyes at Clark. “I can be very convincing.”

“Over my dead body.” Clark growled.

“You aren’t the only one married to her.” He warned floating a few feet away as he threw back in a taunting tone, “I’m the part of you she wants.” He narrowed his eyes at Clark, “For months I’ve sat on the sidelines and watched while you take everything from me. That ends now. I plan on reclaiming everything.”

Before he could respond the double disappeared before his eyes.

‘Lois,’

Lois stepped out of the taxicab, looking around the scene where the two Supermen had been moments ago. Press and police were crawling all over. School officials were directing students and EMTs to be checked out.

She began moving through the scene and talking with witnesses to get an accurate account of what had transpired. There had been a gunman. The gunman was injured and had several cracked ribs and broken bones. The students on the bus were safe. There were two Supermen.

Two.

She made her way back to the police line where the crowd of people craned their necks to see what they could over the police and school officials. Twenty broken bones and a concussion. The children were safe. She took a deep breath as she leaned against the tall red brick building around the corner, trying to gain control of her emotions.

“Lois?” She heard the familiar voice behind her and she bit her lip, praying it was her Clark calling her name. She turned around and saw the man in red and blue, eyeing him uncertainly. “What are you doing here?” He asked.

“Big story.” she said, crossing her arms over her chest “Seems Superman has been using brute force to stop criminals.”

There was a flicker of something on his face. Something that was unfamiliar as he took a step toward her. “He was doing what he had to do.”

“You could have killed him.” She said, taking a step back.

He looked down, toying with something internally for a moment. A split-second later she felt a gust of wind against her face and she was in the air, several hundred feet above the ground. “Put me down!!” she yelled angrily.

“Not until we talk.” He said sternly.

Something was wrong.

He could feel it.

He walked through the newsroom, looking for any sign of Lois.

“Lois?”

<<“I’m the part of you you want to deny. You can’t destroy yourself.”>>

‘I’m nothing like him.’

He spotted Jimmy coming out of the dark room. “Jimmy, have you seen Lois?”

Jimmy shrugged, trying to walk away and Clark grabbed his arm, “Jimmy, it’s important!”

Jimmy stiffened then nodded, “Yeah, she left here a little while ago to cover the Superman double story.”

“Superman double?” he half croaked.

Jimmy pointed to the screen, amateur footage of two Supermen on the roof of Metropolis Towers. No audio footage was retrieved thankfully but the image was unmistakable.

<<“You think you’re so perfect? Less damaged. The perfect hero, but I know the truth. I know how badly you want to destroy them. I know the only thing that keeps you from crossing that line.”>>

‘I’m not damaged. I’m nothing like him.’

<<“You think if given a choice she wouldn’t choose me over you?”>>

“Lois left here about half an hour to cover it. Hasn’t returned any of the Chief’s calls.” Jimmy continued.

That perked Clark’s interest. That wasn’t like Lois to not at least update Perry on an assignment. “Jimmy, do me a favor, keep calling her. Don’t stop until you get an answer.”

Jimmy narrowed his eyes in concern. “Yeah, no problem.”

<<“You aren’t the only one married to her. I’m the part of you she wants.”>>

‘Lois...’

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube