Print Thread
#277816 11/18/17 06:06 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hello all,

Has anyone seen the Justice League film? If so, would you recommend it for someone who would be going primarily for the Superman parts? Approximately what percentage of the film is Henry Cavill in?

Please be careful with spoilers.

Thanks,
Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hey

I really liked the movie (I have been in it two hours ago). I would say it has about 10 to 15 percent Henry in it but that are important scenes. If someone asked me if he should watch it I would say yes.

If you want more information feel free to send me a pm.

I will definitely watch it again.

:-) Kathryn

Kathryn
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Kathryn,

Thanks. You gave me precisely the level of detail I wanted; I am trying to balance remaining spoiler-free while still getting enough information to decide whether to spend the money on going to the theatre. Your post was perfect in that regards.

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
I saw it yesterday. It was a good movie overall, and the Lois and Clark scenes are the sort that FOLCs love to see.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Saw it this weekend. It's about 90% non-Superman, but the other JL members more than make up for Superman's absence. It was a fun movie and I'm glad I saw it. (And I'm someone who HATED Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman.) I highly recommend JL. DC is finally starting to hit their stride with these movies and injected the MUCH NEEDED humor into their universe.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I saw the movie last week and had a great time watching it. If it is still in the local theater around Christmas I'd like to see it a second time. I enjoyed the Superman parts of the movie, but Wonder Woman is still my favorite character in this particular universe. All the Justice League characters are pretty cool though.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I agree with Lady Loisette completely!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Sounds like Justice League is a winner. Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get to the theatre, but I have put in a pre-order for the movie on Amazon and am looking forward to watching the movie next year on my small screen.

Joy,
Lynn

Blogger
Blogger
I saw the movie yesterday and it was very bland. It could have been so much more, but it wasn't.

Cyborg seemed interesting, but in the end he was a plot device. Wonder Woman got a forced a character moment or two. The Flash was simply annoying, as was Aquaman. Honestly "awkward guy" isn't a winner, and nether is "Jason Momoa grunting" Batman was the vehicle, fed the same character moments as Wonder Woman.

I feel really bad for Henry Cavill and Amy Adams.

Edit: Clark's identity should have been blown in Man of Steel already. How it isn't after the next two movies...

C
Kerth
Online Content
Kerth
C
I have to admit that I was a little disappointed with it. Batman was definitely better in this than in Batman vs Superman though (and I loved that Mercedes that Bruce drove which even if it was street legal I’d never be able to afford it). I personally think that too much was spent on effects than the actual plot which was choppy at best.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Blogger
Blogger
I've had more time to think about it now, and how The Flash was written was downright insulting. I have family on the spectrum, he was definitely supposed to be too and it was played for cheap laughs.

When he was just Barry, talking to his father there were still traces of it, sure, but at least he seemed like an actual person who was influenced by it but it didn't define him. When interacting with the other superheroes? Then he's just Awkward Autism Guy™.

Choppy plot seems to be the thing in the DC movie universe, at least if the movie in question was directed by Zack Snyder. I wish it could have been explained by him leaving and Joss Whedon taking over in this case, but it wasn't better in Batman vs. Superman and even Man of Steel didn't truly hold together.

Batman/Bruce was OK, he at least felt like a real person, even if he got those moments where you could tell "here is where he passes the torch because the plot tells him to". In Batman vs. Superman he only really acted in on way or another because the plot told him to, so that's an improvement.

Thaeri #279467 03/11/18 08:54 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hello Thaeri,

Interesting. While this version of Barry did strike me as being extremely awkward socially, he did not appear to me to have autism. I think his condition would be better classified as a Social (Pragmatic) Communication Disorder, since (at least as far as I can recall), Barry did not meet condition "B" for autism in the DSM-5 -- that is, he did not appear to have restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or activities. (See this web site for a comparison of the two disorders.)

For what it's worth, I, too, have skin in this game -- or perhaps I should say "flesh and blood"; my son is severely impacted by autism and is quite low functioning.

Joy,
Lynn

Blogger
Blogger
I said "on the spectrum". I meant what was called "Aspergers" before, but now we know that it's not a separate thing from autism.

I understand that you have skin in this game, in fact, it's very obvious. This is why I suspect that for you, there is still a difference between Aspergers and "real" autistic.

The movie does make fun of anyone on the Aspergers side of the spectrum. "Mild autusim".

N
Features Writer
Features Writer
N
Lynn was one of the most supportive and helpful people I spoke to when my daughter was diagnosed with autism 18 months ago. I would personally find it very hard to believe that she would differentiate “between Aspergers and ‘real’ autistic’”

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Thaeri #279513 03/14/18 07:11 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by Thaeri
I understand that you have skin in this game, in fact, it's very obvious. This is why I suspect that for you, there is still a difference between Aspergers and "real" autistic.

1. This is getting into a topic that can be very emotional for a lot of people. Try and be more gentle with the words you choose. I'm not Lynn but I found this statement rather insulting. I get what you're trying to say but its coming across very crudely.

2. Socially awkward doesn't always equal on the spectrum. Just as being very neat doesn't mean you're OCD. I'm not sure where you're getting that the Flash was supposed to be written with Asperger's? I'll admit my only exposure has been tv and movies. If there is info in the comics I'm not privy to that may be what I'm missing. The Flash seemed to be written as a typical socially awkward guy. I know plenty of people like that that just are awkward. Doesn't mean they are on the spectrum.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thank you, NostalgiaKick and Folc4evernaday, for your support and kind words. I had debated whether to reply to Thaeri's comment -- I even wrote up a possible reply -- but had decided not to post it since I feared it was getting too off topic and just belaboring my point. (I have been told that I don't know when to let something drop, and I have been trying to be better in that regard.) But your e-mails made me realize that my non-reply may have been interpreted, in and of itself, as being a reply that was sending an unintended message.

I am not offended by what Thaeri wrote. NK is correct; I do consider people with Aspergers Syndrome as being on the spectrum. I also strongly suspect that the only reason I was never diagnosed as being on the spectrum myself (as an Aspie) was because I'm old enough that if my teachers had even heard the word "autism" before, it only conjured up images to them of a nonverbal child rocking back and forth alone in a corner. I clearly did not fit that definition, so (in their minds) I was not autistic -- I was just an outcast and a nerd.

For what it is worth, here is what I wrote last night and decided to save rather than to post immediately:

Hello Thaeri,

Actually, I do consider people with the-condition-formerly-known-as-Aspergers to be on the spectrum, but my understanding is that that is still a separate diagnosis from social (pragmatic) communication disorder.

Again, I refer you to the DSM-V: "Individuals who have marked deficits in social communication, but whose symptoms do not otherwise meet criteria for autism spectrum disorder, should be evaluated for social (pragmatic) communication disorder." Did I forget any ritualistic behaviors, restrictive interests, etc. on Barry's part? (Other than his trying to get his father out of jail; as far as I know, that is one of the few constants in all of the different versions of the Barry Allen character and seemed more indicative of determination, love, and family loyalty than of ASD.)

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
As someone who is "on the spectrum" (mild Aspberger's), I'm just going to say that I didn't find Barry Allen's character offensive at all -- in fact, I found him funny. (To be honest, I thought he added a nice, light touch to what was often a very dark film.)

YMMV, but that's what I think.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

Blogger
Blogger
I admit, it's second-hand for me, but I have a couple of cousins who are really close to me and who are diagnosed and expressed the same things I did.

I appreciate that it's not your experience, but when I watched this movie, I saw them being made fun of, and they did to.

Can you appreciate that standpoint?

Maybe it's cultural, I don't know.

Thaeri #279759 03/31/18 08:18 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Thaeri
I admit, it's second-hand for me, but I have a couple of cousins who are really close to me and who are diagnosed and expressed the same things I did.

I appreciate that it's not your experience, but when I watched this movie, I saw them being made fun of, and they did to.

Can you appreciate that standpoint?

Maybe it's cultural, I don't know.
I think your POV is as valid as anyone else's. Different people will get different things out of a work of art. (Heck, if we all saw LnC from the same POV, we wouldn't have a board full of discussions and fanfics from different viewpoints.)

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thaeri, I think my opinion is somewhere between yours and some others expressed here. Although I agree with you that Barry was a source of humour for the movie, I never thought he was being mocked. If anything, he seemed to me to be the most relate-able and likable person in the movie, and if I were to be at a party with all of the movies' heroes, he is the one whom I would feel most comfortable talk with and whose company I would seek out. (Sorry, Clark.) But I hadn't mentioned my views on Barry before precisely because all of our views on him are just opinions, and I thought it more appropriate to focus on facts rather than opinions.huh I do appreciate you sharing your thoughts on him.

Annie B., well said.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard