My Own Worst Enemy
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 12

Six Months Ago…

Lex Luthor paced around the abandoned warehouse that was slowly transforming into a hidden laboratory. He’d put a tail on both Lois Lane and Lucy Lane to see if either would lead him to the missing Dr. Samuel Lane that seemed to be eluding both himself and Bill Church Jr. Dr. Lane had information on this project Metallo Bill Jr. kept rambling on about. He wrote it off as an experiment gone wrong, but Lex knew there was more to it than that.

“Asabi,” Lex turned to see the middle eastern man approaching him in a black suit. “To what do I owe this surprise visit?”

“Everything you wanted to know about Rollie Vale,” Asabi announced, handing over a thick file he’d obtained. “It seems he’s being controlled by Mr. Church with the threat of withholding care to his brother, Emmet.”

“Emmet Vale? Why does that name sound so familiar?” Lex asked.

“He was caught in the explosion at LexLabs a few years ago. The tests you were performing on the meteorite?” Asabi prompted.

“Oh, yes,” Lex skimmed the pages, shaking his head. “A pity, but advancements in science aren’t achieved without risks.”

“Of course,” Asabi nodded knowingly.

“Perhaps, a visit to Shady Brook Hospital will help remind Mr. Vale just what’s at stake?” Lex suggested, grabbing his briefcase.

“One week after the incident at the Metropolis Museum of Art and still no sign of the assailant behind the attack on Mr. Ross. Three unidentified men have been captured in connection with attacks that took place that evening, but no one is talking.”

“Pretty crazy,” Jimmy commented, looking to the television that replayed the footage from Pete Ross’ attack. He stood next to Lois’ desk watching the scene replay again. “Lucky Superman got there in time.”

“Yeah, it was,” Clark said, patting Pete on the shoulder.

Jimmy gave them a sympathetic smile. “Glad you’re all right, Pete.” When he’d heard what had happened all he could think about was how lucky Lucy was not to be there. He knew she’d been planning to attend, but had canceled last minute. Why, he still didn’t know.

“You and me both.” Pete said with a sigh, “But on the plus side I’ve got a lot of great press coverage, and my phone has been ringing off the hook for assignments.”

“Leave it to you to find the bright side in all of this,” Lois said with a smirk as she took a sip of her coffee.

“Hey, what’s everyone standing around for?” Perry bellowed as he approached them. “We’ve got a paper to put out and no front page lead.” He held up the empty mock-up of the Daily Planet’s front page.

“We’re working on an angle for the mysterious attacker that’s in the wind,” Lois said hurriedly. “Pete was just catching us up on the investigation.”

“Sure. It’s going nowhere.” Pete snorted. “What do you mean you have no clue who ruined my big night and almost tried to kill me and one of my friends, officer? Oh, just that Mr. Ross. No leads. Have a nice day.” He gave a roll of the eyes, “But hey they caught three of the four guys, right?”

“Sounds promising,” Perry said with a sarcastic grunt.

“Well, maybe you two can get more information out of Detective Johnson, but so far. Nada.” Pete shrugged, sharing a wry look with Clark.

“Well, it may not have turned out how you wanted it to, but you’ve definitely made a name for yourself already.” Jimmy pointed out.

“Yeah, but I’d still like to see the guy locked up for what he did.” Pete sighed, shaking his head in disgust. Perry gave Pete a sympathetic pat on the shoulder before moving on.

“You and me both,” Clark said, placing a hand on Lois’ shoulder.

“I’m sure they’ll get him.” Perry reassured then walked toward Ralph’s desk, “Simms! Where’s that story on the Church Network release?”

The sound of Ralph stammering could be heard, and Jimmy chuckled. “Nobody’s safe when the Chief’s on the warpath.”

“I guess that’s my cue to get going.” Pete sighed. “Thanks for the info, CK. I gotta meet my new agent in five. You sure I can’t talk you into coming? Bigwig agent throwing money around and lots of good food.” He looked to Lois, “It’ll be fun.”

“As tempting as that is I’m afraid we just don’t have time.” Lois gave him an apologetic smile. “Maybe next time.”

“All right, well maybe next time.” Pete grinned, grabbing his things as he headed toward the elevator.

“See you, Pete.” Jimmy waved after him.

“Later, Jimmy,” Pete called over his shoulder.

“Olsen!” Perry called from across the newsroom. Jimmy sighed to himself. Never a moment of peace.

Bill Church Jr. stood in front of the cameras with his father, Bill Church. A grey cloth hung over the front door to a tall building. “It is with great pride we bring you the next step in Cost Mart savings by introducing Church Network.”

The cloth fell down, and a large building in grey and blue was revealed with a large white ‘C’ on the front of it. Bill Church took the microphone from his son and began to start his sale’s pitch.

“Consumers will no longer be forced into watching television through cable networks but rather pick and choose what they want to watch and only paying for the channels they use. Church Network is committed to providing quality service to customers at a fraction of the price. I, uh…I…” Church turned to his son and whispered, “What was I saying, Billy?”

Bill Jr. took the microphone from his dad, “We hope that our loyal customers from Cost Mart will continue to expand their loyalty to us as we take a step forward with this new chapter.”

Rollie Vale stared at the screen and shook his head, “You really think you can control Metropolis by brainwashing them with your Church Network?”

“Well, as you can see I’m giving it my best shot.” Bill Jr. said taking a puff from his cigar. “The medication is starting to take effect. I think you’ve found the right formula.”

“You sure you want to do this?” Rollie Vale asked.

“Drugging my father to gain unlimited power and riches? Of course.” Bill Jr. smiled. “This time next year Intergang will be in my control, and this city will be mine. I’ll be able to do the one thing my father never could: destroy Lex Luthor and everything he holds dear.”

<<“What happened to him?”

“He’s been shot.”

“Just leave him.”

“No, I got a better idea…”>>

“Jon?” Bibbo’s voice penetrated his thoughts and Corbin shook himself from the painful memories that were nudging the back of his mind. The last week had been filled with flashbacks and memories from a life he didn’t recall. He couldn’t remember anything more than fragments of his life before he’d woken up in the lab with Dr. Lane.

He could still hear the gunshots as he tried to escape. There was something significant about that sound he just couldn’t place it.

“Yes, sir?” Jon looked at Bibbo expectantly.

“Table five needs cleaning.” Bibbo pointed to the table a few feet away.

“Right.” Jon nodded, turning to see a tall and lanky man in a leather jacket with a blonde-haired woman next to him wearing a dress that was obviously a size too small for her. There was something so familiar about him, but he didn’t say anything.

“What’s your problem, man?”

“Nothing,” Corbin said quickly, wiping the table down.

Clark sat perched on the corner of Lois’ desk as they went over the background information they’d received from the victims of last week’s attacks. “Seven victims. Male and female. Different races.”

“Doctor. Lawyer. School Teacher. Bank owner.” Lois listed off. “No connection there.”

“Maybe we need to dig a little deeper?” Clark suggested, pointing to the database Lois had pulled up on her computer. “Employment records?”

“Luthor Hospital. LexCorp.” Lois frowned as she began to read the list off. “Luthor University…”

“I’m sensing a theme.” Clark scowled.

“Even after he’s been pushed out of power he’s still haunting Metropolis,” Lois muttered in disgust.

“We sure it’s Luthor behind it though?” Clark asked, pointing to her screen.

“What do you mean?” Lois asked, not following.

“Look at this subsidiary that these companies are all under. ‘JL Incorporated.’” Clark pointed out.

As he spoke Lois began a search in her browser and pulled up the company based in the Caribbean as ‘JL Incorporated.’ She let out a muffled groan, “Great. No paper trail.”

“Founded by Lex Luthor and George Thompson in the late eighties.” Clark read off. “Acting CEO is Gretchen Kelly.”

“Who’s that?” Lois crinkled her nose. “I’ve never heard of her before.”

“Let’s find out,” Clark suggested, pointing at the screen. In the search bar, she typed the name ‘Gretchen Kelly.’

<<“What happened to him?”

“He’s been shot.”

“Just leave him.”

“No, I got a better idea…”>>

Jon let out a low groan, gripping the sides of his head.

Why couldn’t he remember?

<<“Get out of here!”>>

His last conversation with the doctor that had been helping him weighed on him heavily. Dr. Lane had been trying to teach him about his new body. Teach him about this mysterious rock inside him that powered him. What would happen if his power source stopped working?

<<“We’ve got a job. Five million split between the three of us. If all goes well we’ll be riding easy street and out of town before anyone’s the wiser.”>>

Images of a man in a black leather jacket and goatee flashed through his mind. An image of a gun and the sound of gunfire around him echoed in flashes as the memories continued to tease him. The more he recalled, the less he was sure he wanted to know the person he had been.

Present Day…

Clark sat on the edge of his bed, watching Lois sleep. He’d turned the alarm off after the fourth time she hit the snooze button. After the long day both he and Lois had had yesterday he decided to just let her sleep in. He looked toward the bassinet and smiled when he saw Jon’s little hand curl open and closed as he slept. After his midnight feeding, he had slept quietly. Hopefully, Lois would be able to get some rest this morning.

He got up and leaned over her to kiss her goodbye before heading out to begin his morning patrol. “Clar…” she mumbled in her sleep but never made any attempt to wake up further.

He sighed, running a hand across her cheek. Before leaving, he grabbed the photo Jimmy had left Lois yesterday. It was time he had a long chat with the young man about his conversation with Lois and this double.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?!” Bill Jr. slammed Lex Luthor against the wall. “The agreement was to take out Superman!”

“And I will.” Lex hissed back, peeling Bill Jr.’s arm off of him. “You’re the one that let our little experiment escape. I had to improvise.”

“Just like how you had to improvise with Metallo?” Bill Jr. challenged. “You cost me over half a million dollars.”

“If it weren’t for me you never would have found him in the first place. Remember your place, Billy.” Lex warned with a sinister glare. “Intergang has yet to leave Metropolis, yet you still live. I believe I’ve done you enough favors.”

“Intergang doesn’t leave until I get back what’s rightfully mine.” Bill Jr. shot back. “That was the deal.”

“No, the deal was I help you get your father out of the way and let you take the reigns within your organization. All your lieutenants are already looking for you to lead. I’ve done my part.” Lex snarled angrily. “Get out of my city.”

“Make me.” Bill Jr. dared him.

Lois groaned when she sat up in bed and found Clark’s side cool to the touch. She glanced at the clock, glaring at the digits in red. She had overslept. Why hadn’t Clark woken her? The soft whine across the room reached her ears, and she swung her legs over the side of the bed to tend to Jon.

“Hey, sweetie,” She leaned over to pick him up, holding him against her chest as his cries quickly quieted down. She carried him over to his changing table to get him changed and dressed for the day. Jon graced her with a half-smile that resembled his father’s after she took his soiled diaper off. After putting a new diaper on him and changing him out of his pajamas and into a onesie and cotton pants, she carried him back over to the bed. He let out a soft gurgle, and she smiled at him. “Someone’s in a good mood this morning.”

A folded white paper sat propped up on the nightstand next to them. She reached over to read the note, seeing the familiar handwriting of her husband’s on the front.

//Lois,

You seemed to be tired this morning, so I let you sleep in. I told Perry you’d be working from home today. I’m going to see what I can find out about this double and should be back before lunch.

Love,
Clark//

Lois sighed, setting the paper down. She still wasn’t sure what to make of the picture Jimmy had taken. Clark said it wasn’t him and she believed him, but that still didn’t explain who the man was with Mayson Drake all over him. He looked just like her husband. Did he have his powers? Who was he?

Clark spotted Jimmy at his desk and took a deep breath before approaching. He needed to talk to Jimmy but confronting him in front of the newsroom wouldn’t help him get to the bottom of this double business. He had to get him alone. He watched as Jimmy finished typing and tapped him on the shoulder.

“We need to talk,” Clark said firmly.

“Why am I not surprised?” Jimmy asked with a sigh, getting up from his computer to head toward the copy room. “You here to yell at me?”

“No. I just want to talk.” Clark did his best not to react. Now that he knew why Jimmy had been behaving like this it was a little easier to take. He was being a good friend to Lois which he could respect but getting to the bottom of who this double was and what he was doing in Metropolis meant getting Jimmy to talk to him and hopefully believe him. It hurt that Jimmy would think he was capable of hurting Lois like that but given that he hadn’t known him more than a year he could understand how it looked. He didn’t understand it himself.

Jimmy sighed, picking up the papers from the copy machine and heading back to his desk before turning to face Clark. “I don’t think you want to do that.”

“You have the wrong idea.” Clark began slowly. “I don’t know who or what is in that photo, but it is not me.”

“Looks like you…awfully close to be sitting next to someone that isn’t your wife.” Jimmy snapped back.

Clark did his best not to react and pointed to the conference room. Jimmy sighed, following him inside. After he closed the door, Clark turned to Jimmy. “How long have you had that photograph?”

“A month or so. What difference does it make?” Jimmy asked annoyed.

“So for a month you’d rather ignore me, and let your anger at what you think was going on fester than come and talk to me?” Clark pressed, giving him a stern glare.

“What’s there to talk about?” Jimmy asked.

“How about the fact that that’s not me.” Clark pressed.

“Then who is it?” Jimmy scoffed, “Your evil twin? A clone? The jolly green giant? Come on, give me a little credit!”

“I would never cheat on Lois…ever. After everything we’ve been through I would never throw all that away. I thought you would know me better than that.” Clark said solemnly.

“You know what the Chief says, if it looks like a duck…”

“It’s not me, Jimmy,” Clark repeated. “I get that you think you’re being a good friend to Lois. But I don’t want you upsetting her like this, and I really don’t appreciate you throwing around accusations like this without even talking to me. You got a problem with me you come to me. Lois has enough to deal with.”

“I wouldn’t have to come to her if you weren’t…”

“For the last time, it wasn’t me!” Clark growled at him angrily. “You upset Lois you upset me. I’m not someone you want angry with you. Now, you can continue to act like a thorn in my side, or you can help me figure out who this is and where he came from.”

“You want me to help you research … you?” Jimmy scoffed.

“No, I want you to help me prove to you that it’s not me in that photo and maybe hopefully make you think twice before assuming the worst about someone.”

“Fine,” Jimmy said flatly. “I’ll help figure out who this ‘double’ is but if you’re yanking my chain I’ll find out and I will tell Lois.”

“Don’t worry, I’m not.” Clark retorted irritably. “Now, where was this at?” He asked, throwing the photograph on the table for Jimmy.

Five Months Ago…

Rachel tapped on the door frame for the ADA’s office, trying to hide her contempt for the woman. This was the third arrest that had been let go due to lack of evidence in the last month. Another thug out on the street because the District Attorney’s office couldn’t get it together.

“Yes?” the young blonde looked up at Rachel with an exasperated sigh.

“I know you don’t have time, but you need to make time, Ms. Drake.” Rachel said, taking a seat across from Mayson before she could argue.

Mayson let out a low sigh and set down the papers she was reading, folding her reading glasses with one hand. “Yes, Lieutenant Harris, how may I assist you?”

“You can start by explaining to me why three of my team’s collars have walked in the last month. Attempted arson is nothing to laugh at.”

“There was not enough evidence,” Mayson said between gritted teeth. “You know that thing I need to throw the criminals in jail and get a guilty verdict.”

“I think you’re full of it.” Rachel shot back. “You had motive. You had witnessed. You had everything you needed.”

“The DA decided not to prosecute,” Mayson said solemnly.

“Why not?” Rachel scoffed.

“You’ll have to take it up with him,” Mayson said, pointing to the office across the hall.

“Maybe I will.” Rachel said, turning on her heel.

“Good luck,” Mayson called after her, picking up the paper she’d laid down on her desk.

Rachel narrowed her eyes at Mayson. She wasn’t sure what it was, but there was something about the woman that set her off. She didn’t trust her…not for a minute.

<<“He’s under arrest, officer.”>>

<<“If you’re willing to, son, we can make this all go away. All you have to do is sign on the dotted line.”>>

<<“You’ll become better than human, son.”>>

<<“Get out of here!”>>

<<“Metallo.”>>

“Thanks for all you did for me,” Corbin said, handing the red and white apron back to Bibbo. “It’s time I get back to the life I had before all this.” He gave him his best smile before adding, “I won’t forget everything you’ve done for me this past month.”

Bibbo still seemed uncertain, “You sure you going to be okay?”

Corbin flashed him another smile, “Of course. I’m better than okay, Bibbo.” He grabbed his jacket and headed out, calling over his shoulder, “See you around.”

He had an old score to settle and money to collect.

“It’s not funny!” Rachel glared at Pete as he snickered at her.

“It kind of is.” Pete chuckled a little harder.

“I’m telling you there is something going on in that office. I’m going to find out what.” Rachel crossed her arms over her chest defiantly.

“If you say so, but just remember not to threaten to beat up the DA next time. I’m not in law enforcement or anything, but I think that’s frowned upon.” Pete teased.

“I’ve never been so humiliated in all my life.” Rachel shook her head in disgust.

“It was for an hour in a holding cell. It could have been a lot worse.” Pete laughed.

“Not funny.” Rachel shot back.

“Yes, it is.” He leaned in to kiss her cheek.

Dr. Hamilton pointed to the alleyway where a covered body was being surveyed by the medical examiner. “Third one this month. No witnesses. No physical evidence.”

“No fingerprints? No DNA?” Lucy prompted. Hamilton shook his head with a grim expression on his face. “Just like the others.” Lucy mused more to herself than anyone in particular.

“Well, this one’s a little different.” Hamilton frowned. “Our victim was a Congressman. Police Commissioner is putting a lot of pressure on the department to figure out who’s behind it. I want you and the rest of the team to make this priority one.” Hamilton instructed.

“So, now that it’s someone important we get more manpower on it?” Lucy mused.

“That’s politics.” Hamilton shrugged. “Someone is on a killing spree, and before we create panic in the streets, I’d like to know what we’re dealing with.”

“We’ve been over the evidence, Dr. Hamilton. There is nothing tying the killer to the scene of the crimes.” Lucy pointed out.

“Not these crimes.” A familiar voice said from behind her. Lucy turned and was surprised to see Superman standing with Bill Henderson and a few other officers that were surveying the scene.

“Right over here.” Henderson pointed to where a flag on the brick wall behind her marked where a bullet had misfired.

“Superman,” Lucy breathed in surprise. She’d heard Lois talk about him from time to time, but she’d never actually met Superman in person before. The checkout lines were littered with headlines from the latest rumors and the super rescues he’d performed over the last few months.

“Lucy Lane, right?” He guessed, extending his hand to shake hers.

“Yes.” She nodded, doing her best to remain calm and collected. It was so weird seeing him in person and talking to him.

“Sorry,” Henderson interrupted. “Lucy, Superman. Superman, this is Lucy Lane one of the newest CSI’s.”

“Uh, nice to meet you,” Lucy said quicker than necessary. She noticed him looking intently behind her and asked. “Do I need to move?”

“You’re fine.” Superman pointed to the right corner of the wall where a white mark was barely visible. “Right there.”

Henderson nodded to the team to recover what he was looking for. “Mind telling me what you’re looking for?” She asked.

“If these cases are connected to the cases I think they are we might have the killer’s fingerprints in the system,” Henderson said coolly. “There was a murder here a few months ago. No match on the DNA but we never recovered the missing bullet.”

Lucy frowned, “Yeah, I remember I surveyed that scene with Jack Warner.”

“Well, Mr. Warner was caught planting and hiding evidence, so we’ve been going over his open cases with a fine-tooth comb,” Henderson explained. “Superman’s been helping us where he can with the support of the Commissioner.”

“That’s great.” Lucy beamed. “The more help, the better.”

“Looks like we’ve got a bullet,” Hamilton shouted, lifting a long tweezer-like instrument from the wall and holding up a round gold and bronze shaped object.

Congressman Murder Linked to Intergang Hit
By Lois Lane and Clark Kent[i]

“Boy, this is great stuff, kids.” Perry White said, skimming over the front page of the Daily Planet. “Keep this up you’ll be bringing home more than one Kerth next year.”

“Thanks, Chief,” Clark said, slipping a supportive hand on his wife’s shoulders. After Henderson had retrieved the bullet from the crime scene, it had been run through the system and matched to a weapon used in several previous crimes connected to Intergang.

Henderson had agreed to let himself and Lois break the story after everything had been cleared internally with the department. For the most part, things seemed to have settled down within the Metropolis P.D., and the newly appointed officers and department heads were keeping the streets clean again. Still, it seemed Intergang kept poking its ugly head out from every corner.

There was no evidence as of yet on who had been behind Intergang, and nothing Sam had given them could connect Bill Church Jr. with the organization other than his identification. They needed more than a witness ID to arrest him though. Unfortunately, Bill Church Jr. appeared clean as a whistle. Like his father, his criminal record was clean of any imperfections.

They still hadn’t found the source behind the attempt on Lois and Pete’s life the night of his gallery opening. Gretchen Kelly may be listed as the acting CEO of JL Incorporated but finding anything more than an old photograph of the woman seemed an impossible task. No one had heard from her in months. She appeared and reappeared at a moment’s notice and handled many of Lex Luthor’s lucrative business dealings. A perfect partner for Luthor as far as he was concerned.

He glanced back at Lois as she looked down at her swollen abdomen. She was now seven months pregnant and glowing. Gone were the days of her being self-conscious about her baby bump or appearance. She’d embraced the changes that had come with this pregnancy, and he was falling more and more in love with her each day. Watching their son grow and change inside her was the most miraculous thing he’d ever seen--considering the things he had seen in his life that was saying something.

“Congressman Wallace was last seen outside Judge Wright’s chambers, but no one’s seen or heard from him either,” Lois said solemnly. “There’s talk that someone’s slowly taking out politicians that have refused to work with Intergang.”

“What’s your take on all this?” Perry asked.

“I don’t know.” Lois sighed, running a hand through her hair. “It feels like we’re missing something here.”

“There have been quite a few deaths over the past few months--unexplained.” Clark elaborated. “The police have no leads.”

“You thinkin’ we might have a serial killer on our hands?” Perry asked in a hushed whisper.

“Or possibly someone’s cleaning house,” Lois interjected. “Criminals, politicians...That’s not random.”

“But no one within the police department is willing to confirm or deny there’s a connection with these deaths and the ones from earlier last month,” Clark added.

“Well, that never stopped you two before.” Perry mused with a twinkle in his eye before walking away with a soft yodel.

Lois looked up at him, and Clark shrugged, “You really think there might be a serial killer out there?”

“I’m more inclined to believe that we have someone working with Intergang to silence everyone that won’t work with them.” Clark ran a hand through his hair, worry written all over his face. “The biggest problem is it’s happening so quick there’s nothing to indicate the attack. No screams for help. No police calls. Whoever is doing this knows what they’re doing.”

“Or could possibly know the victims?” Lois guessed.

“I…” He tensed when a cry for help reached his ears.

“What is it?” she asked.

“Someone’s in trouble.” He said, straightening up.

“Go. Be careful.” She whispered, leaning up to kiss him.

“You too.” He placed a hand on her abdomen before moving toward the stairwell that led to the roof, tugging at the knot to his tie.

Johnny walked down the familiar alleyway he’d done so many deals in. Drugs, stolen goods, robberies, and muggings...He’d done it all. He took a deep breath in, savoring the sweet smells from the hot dog stand around the corner. Still the same people that had been here years ago and the same shops. Nothing had changed.

The little corner had been the place he’d called home for so long. He recognized the group of disheveled men standing in the corner, pulling out their loot for a familiar looking man. He wore a black bandana around his forehead and black leather jacket with a white tank top. Some things never changed.

“Hey, punks, scram!” He ordered in a commanding voice. “Me and Angel got some business arrangements to discuss.”

“Jon?” Angel looked up at him in surprise.

“Corbin.” He finished for him. “What’s the matter, Angel, surprised to see me alive?”

Clark flew through the sky and quickly zeroed in on the cries for help. Near Queensland Bridge, a group of thugs were running out of an alleyway while a man in a dark navy shirt held another man in a black leather jacket against the wall by the throat.

“I thought I was helping you.”

“I think you mean helpin' yourself. I hear you got ten bills for me. I want half... or I'm snappin' your neck like a pencil!”

“Okay John, whatever you say…” the man in leather stammered frantically, fighting to catch his breath as Clark landed in the alleyway. The other man released him, and the man in leather pulled a gun from his jacket and shouted, “You should have kicked it the first time, Corbin.”

[i]<<“Destroy. Alien. Destroy.”>>

Clark winced as he felt his mind rage against the messages that plagued him. The hidden demons that continued to haunt him at night threatened to overtake him as he heard the shots fired. He looked up in shock when he saw the bullets bounce off the man Corbin.

How was this possible?

Corbin reached for the gun in the man in leather’s hand and crushed it. As he approached, Clark felt his insides splitting. He watched in horror as Corbin lifted the man in leather over his head, “Should have taken the deal, Angel.”

“No!” Clark shouted, blowing a blast of freezing breath toward Corbin.

Corbin threw Angel across the alleyway, and Clark caught him. “Are you okay?” He asked.

Angel nodded, scrambling away when Clark released him. “Should have let him fall. Waste of air.” Corbin called out, approaching him with a growl.

“Who are you?” Clark asked, stepping back as Corbin came near him. He could feel his head splitting into two once more.

“That’s for me to know and you to find out,” Corbin called out. “Who are you, little boy blue?”

Clark fell to the ground, cradling his head in his hands as he fought against the mind-numbing pain that washed over him. It felt like he was being split in half. He focused his energy on x-raying Corbin to see if maybe there was a sample of the meteorite nearby. His eyes widened when he saw a black stone inside the metal chest plate of Corbin’s. He wasn’t even human.

“You’re a machine?” Clark gasped in surprise.

“Ah, you peaked!” Corbin grabbed him by the throat and lifted him in the air. “What a wuss. I hardly laid a hand on you.”

‘Metal. He’s made of metal.’ Clark reminded himself. He wasn’t sure what would happen, but he had to give it a try. He shot a beam of heat vision at the metal chest plate, allowing the metal mulch to fade away. He groaned when he felt the black glowing rays on him, but pushed through the mental trauma and focused on applying his heat vision to the stone. He had to get rid of the meteorite.

“Hey!” Corbin called out. “Let go of me!”

Clark grabbed Corbin by the shoulders, holding him in place as he continued to apply his heat vision. A blinding light filled the air, and he fell back. He groggily looked up to see what looked like a reflection of himself in a black suit and tie and glasses. He reached up to his face, feeling for any injuries.

“I...I….I….I….” the stutter of Corbin on the ground caused Clark to cringe as he stood up. He looked around and the reflection he’d thought he’d seen was gone. He walked toward Corbin and grimaced when he saw a white, clear diamond in Corbin’s chest.

“Who are you?” He asked.

“Metall...Metallo.” Corbin groaned. “Do...Doctor….Lane.” He coughed, holding his chest.

Clark frowned, unsure of what to do. It was clear whatever meteorite that had been inside Corbin was responsible for keeping him powered and now that the meteorite was gone he was fading fast. “I’ll get you some help.” He promised.

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube