Next Thread
Print Thread
#277409 10/27/17 07:14 PM
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Ok, this chapter has been a really long time coming (my muse is being a fickle cow). Hopefully I can smash out the next few chapters and FINALLY get this story done!

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Columnist
Columnist
Now I remember this one... and now I want more. I could she leave like that, she has to go back to the Planet. Clark needs her. Hope Jimmy and Jack don't get caught. More, please.

N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
I'm trying lol

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
Yay! *hugs NK, hands muse favorite coffee* I love your stuff and this story is awesome!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by NostalgiaKick
Lois’s first instinct on leaving the conference room was to go and tell Lex what he’d been accused of.

Someone needs to smack her upside her thick-skulled head. Superman just told you Lex Luthor is a criminal capable of inflicting harm on someone she claimed to LOVE in the cruelest of ways but yeah running to a dangerous and abusive criminal is safer than having to actually act like a friend. grumble

A cavalcade of negative emotions drove her onwards. Blind rage, mortification at being ordered out of the conference room like a misbehaving child, the humiliation of having worked side by side with Superman for a year and not known it- which was made worse by that upstart petty criminal, Jack…

Misbehaving child. That she was...still is. Turn the car around. Go home! wallbash

She threw the Jeep around the corners even more aggressively than usual, not caring that she may well end up with another ticket.

<snork> Don't drive angry, Lois. help

She was halfway to LexTower before more rational thoughts intruded. Clark was Superman, she’d begrudgingly had to admit. Even without a demonstration of his powers, his explanations had made too much sense to be anything but the truth. And yet, right now, he was clearly injured. Someone, somewhere, had had to do that to him. While she didn’t want to believe it was Lex- didn’t want to believe that the charming, urbane man who had so recently proposed to her could be capable of what Clark was accusing him of- Clark clearly believed it was.

Finally! clap

If he was right…

If everything that he’d told them was true, by going to Lex she could be signing Clark’s death warrant.

Could she really risk that?

Regardless of what she thought of him personally right now, Superman was a positive force for good, a bright spark in an often-dark world. The world needed Superman.

Could she really risk handing him over to be murdered?

By George, I think she's got it. hyper

Abruptly, she pulled the Jeep over to the kerb, resting her head on the steering wheel. It felt like her entire world was suddenly tilting on its axis. Lex’s proposal, Clark’s revelations… it was all too much. Everything was spinning out of control, and she didn’t know which way to turn.

Forcing herself to sit up, she put the Jeep into gear and pulled soberly back into the traffic.

Hopefully she's either headed back to the Planet to really listen or back to her apartment to cool off. peep

“Anyone want to join her?” Clark ground out, looking at the three people that remained in the conference room. There was a chorus of muted denials and shaken heads before a heavy silence fell over the room.

Rule number one: Don't make Clark Kent mad.
Rule number two: Don't make Clark Kent mad.
peep
Jimmy broke the tension.

“CK, if he’s blackmailing you, why haven’t you gone to the police?”

<sigh> Oh, Jimmy... So innocent and naive. If only the Metropolis police could help. If only Lex Luthor wasn't responsible for controlling so much in this city... So much to learn. sad

“I haven’t got any real proof, Jimmy. Everything he’s said to me… it’s my word against his. And who do you think they’ll believe? Billionaire philanthropist… or an alien from another planet?” Clark questioned bitterly.

Aww... poor Clark! (*Hugs*) whinging

It's sad that he refers to himself as an alien from another planet when he's been here so long and even after a year of being Superman. He still feels like an outsider and Lois' rejection and Lex's attacks aren't helping.

“But- you’re Superman!”

“And the world only tolerates me, Jimmy! Look how little it took for Metropolis to turn on me during the heatwave. Look at what’s happening right now. I’ve been booed at every rescue this past week.”

The world was saved because of him. The world saw annihilation coming toward them in the face of the Nightfall asteroid, and Superman saved them. Personally, I think he's giving Luthor a little too much credit here. huh

Of all of the things that had happened in the past few months, it was the booing that hurt the most. It reminded him of those dreadful few days before he was cast out of Metropolis during the heat wave; but this time, there was a reason for the people’s rejection of him. While he knew that it hadn’t been his fault, all that the people of Metropolis had seen was Superman’s failure to show up at the worst disasters the city had seen in decades- and hundreds of lives had been lost as a result.

He seriously needs a huge hug right now. whinging

Darn that Lex Luthor and his attacks. Clark needs to wear a wire or something so someone can hear/see Lex for who he really is.

Perry frowned at Jimmy, effectively silencing him.

haha I love that Perry's able to make Jimmy shut up without even a word. The power is strong with the Chief.

“I do have some evidence about Luthor’s other activities, but it’s all circumstantial. I doubt we’ll get any more than that. He’s too good at covering his tracks. And then there are the diversions…”
“Diversions?” Perry asked.
“The hospital fire, the crane collapse, the subway crash… All the disasters where Superman didn’t show up. They were all cover for something else.”

Making sure Superman didn't interfere with his criminal activities and smudging his boyscout image to the public. I'd say Luthor did a good job but he forgot one little thing: Clark cares. He cares about people and is willing to reveal himself in order to protect those around him.

“Why didn’t you show up?” It was Jack’s turn to question, his tone accusing. “People were depending on you and you weren’t there.”

Jack, you can leave too. wallbash

He just said he'd been attacked by Luthor and that those were diversions. Hmmm.... Let's think for a minute here.

“Because of this.” Clark gestured to his broken collarbone. “Because Luthor has Kryptonite. When that subway train crashed, when that crane fell across the street, when the children’s wing of Metropolis General burnt down, I was like this.” His tone was biting, angry and bitter. “I heard the sirens go past to the hospital fire while I lay on the floor with a broken leg. Do you really think I would have let all those people suffer just to protect myself?”

Chastened, Jack sunk down in his chair, muttering an apology.

**mic drop**

Jack, you should think before you speak next time. It's far less embarrassing. thumbsup

“Every time Luthor stages one of his disasters, a LexMarine ship docks in the harbour. I don’t know what they’re carrying, I can’t get close enough. I tipped Henderson off last night, and Luthor’s thugs picked me up less than an hour later. Luthor must have someone in Henderson’s department, so I don’t think Henderson will find anything. But I know they’re linked.” He laid the timetable he’d worked out on the table. “There’s another ship due into port in a week. Somehow we’ve got to find out what’s on that ship.”

What is Luthor smuggling into Metropolis? Drugs? Illegals he can control? Child prostitutes? Bozo, the clown? devilsplat

He let his words sink in. “All the evidence I have is in a safety deposit box at the First Bank on Ordway.”

Perry stood. “All right then. Clark, authorise Jimmy to pick up that box.”
“Already done, Chief.”

Jimmy paused halfway to his feet. “CK… you trust me that much?” The younger man sounded almost overcome with awe. Clark grinned at him.

“Of course.”

Awww.... *tear* Jimmy doesn't know how special he really is. He's always been a good friend to Clark of course he trusts him. wave

Covering the awkward moment, Clark clapped the aspiring photographer on the shoulder. “Come on. I’ll get you that key.”

“Take Jack with you,” Perry waved a dismissive hand. “And be careful.”

Clark led the two younger men to his desk and removed the key from its hiding place. He held it out for Jimmy to take but pulled it away at the last second. “The chief is right, Jimmy. You need to be careful. Assume you’re being watched.” He held the key out again, letting Jimmy take it this time. “And Jimmy, Jack- not a word about any of this. Not even between yourselves. Are we clear?” He let a hint of steel creep into his voice.

“You got it, CK. C’mon Jack.”

Hopefully, they can get to the box without being watched, but we'll see. Listen to Clark.

Clark watched Jimmy and Jack board the elevator before letting out a worried sigh. He needed them to know the truth, but was he doing the right thing, bringing them into the investigation? If Luthor found out what they were doing, their lives were surely forfeit. He still wasn’t sure why Luthor hadn’t just killed him, Clark, when he had the chance. He’d certainly killed plenty of other people; and Clark didn’t think Luthor would bat an eye at removing two low-level members of the Daily Planet’s staff. He just had to hope that Luthor would consider the movements of a copyboy and the Planet’s newest gopher beneath his notice.

He slammed his desk drawer closed and locked it, before rethinking and opening it again to remove an envelope, slipping it into his pocket before going to tap on Perry’s door.

Uh-oh. What is he about to do? Envelope? Paper. Letter. What kind of letter would he be giving to Perry? Oh, no...

Put that back in your drawer Clark Kent! You are not resigning! splat

Jimmy walked down the street towards the First Bank of Metropolis, barely aware of Jack beside him. It had been a very bizarre morning. Clark was Superman, Lex Luthor was evil… what else was going to change today?

He’d never seen CK like that. He was always so upbeat and optimistic, Jimmy had never imagined he could get as furious as he had with Lois. The look on his face… Jimmy gulped at the memory. He’d seen that look directed at criminals before, but never from Clark, and never at a friend. For a moment, he’d almost thought that Clark hated her. He shivered, pushing the memory aside.

Yes, Clark can be scary when he needs to be, but the thing to remember is he is caring first. A friend. wave

Luthor.

Unlike Lois, he believed everything CK had told them that morning. Someone had clearly injured him, and what reason would he have to lie about who was behind it? Which meant… they could be being watched right now.

Jimmy felt the hairs on the back of his neck prickle and spun, trying to see if he could spot anyone suspicious.

Beside him, Jack snorted.

“Will you calm down? No one is watching.”

You know for a kid that lived on the street Jack's being a bit reckless. Why not be a bit extra cautious when your friend trusted you. Maybe you don't know everything. Maybe just maybe you should look around you and take notes from Jimmy. thumbsup

“How can you be sure?”
“Because I checked. Besides, do you really think anyone is going to care what we’re doing?”
“But CK said-“
“Clark is too cautious. I bet I could shout ‘Clark Kent is-’”
Jimmy crammed a hand over the younger man’s mouth before he could complete the sentence.
“Shut up and listen to me. This is big. Bigger than anything you’ve dealt with even when you were living on the streets. If Clark says we shut up, we shut up. You hear me?”
At Jack’s nod, Jimmy let his hand drop, surprised at the shaft of anger that had filled him. Not knowing what to say, he turned and continued on his way to the bank.

I LOVE Jimmy! lol rotflol

“Chief?”
Clark pushed the door open a little. Perry was leaning back in his desk chair, apparently lost in thought.
“Oh, come in, Clark.”
Clark eased his aching body through the door and settled into the chair across from Perry.
“There are a few things we need to discuss.”
“Such as?”
“Well, for starters…how long have you known?”
Perry chuckled. “You picked up on that, huh?”
“You weren’t surprised when I told you.” Clark allowed himself a small smile. He’d expected that reaction from Jack, but not from the Chief.
“Well, uh, I suspected for a while. Your excuses might work on Lois; she’s a bit more single-minded. But they were too flimsy to fool an old newspaperman like me for long. And then the heat wave happened…” He chuckled again. “Your timing was too much of a coincidence, son.”

Haha, leave it to Perry! You can't pull the wool over Perry White's eyes. goofy

Clark nodded. Suddenly Perry providing him with an excuse for leaving made sense in a way it never had before. He just wished he’d known earlier… he could’ve used the support and advice from the editor, especially since he’d sent his parents away.

But there was no time for regrets. The only thing he could do now was push forward with the investigation into Luthor… and try to weather the coming storm.

That's what I said but nobody listened. huh Oh well, at least he's got Perry for support now.

“Chief? When the story breaks, I’ll give the Planet an exclusive.”
“That’s mighty kind of you son, but I can’t publish it. You work here.”
Clark smiled sadly. “I thought of that, Chief.” He handed Perry the envelope he’d picked up from his desk earlier. “This is my letter of resignation, effectively immediately. I- doubt the publishers would want to keep me on, anyway. I’ve breached too many ethics rules.”

You've got to be kidding me! No! Don't accept it Perry! Throw it back at him. There has to be another way! wallbash

Perry ran a hand over the front of the envelope. “I’m sorry to see this, son.”
“Thanks, Chief. And- can you tell Lois for me? I don’t think she’s speaking to me at the moment.”
Perry nodded. “She’ll come around, Clark.”

“I hope so. We need her. I- need her.”

Awww.... Poor Clark! *Hugs* mecry

And now I want more. Great part Feli.

I am glad to see that Lois didn't go to Lex. Hopefully she can talk some sense into Clark or help with the investigation once she gets past her anger. If there's even a chance Clark is right that means Lex can't be trusted.

I loved the banter with Jimmy and Jack. Jimmy seems to have the more level head on his shoulders.

Not a fan of Clark quitting but I can see why he'd think he needs to. Can't wait for the next part.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Just got back from vacation and was so glad to see that you had part 15 posted! Loved this chapter now I can't wait for more! Thanks for posting hyper !

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Why oh why is Clark quitting?

Love the attention given to Jimmy and Jack. I see a touch of the mysterious Hooten
in Jimmy's behavior! LOL!

Lois, go back to work! Forget your larcenous boyfriend!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard