My Own Worst Enemy
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 9

A/N Sorry for the delay on posting. Extenuating circumstances and all that. Hope everyone enjoys this next part. Lots of drama and a little romance to boot. smile1 Anyway let me know what you think in the comments.

Seven Months Ago…

Clark couldn’t sleep. He stared up at the ceiling unable to push the thoughts that had been weighing heavily on his mind away. He glanced over at Lois who was curled tightly up against him and sighed watching her smile in her sleep. He wanted nothing more than to keep that smile on her face forever.

His ship. The ship he’d arrived to Earth in was sitting in the middle of his living room covered in boxes. So many things could have gone wrong tonight, but they hadn’t. He sighed in relief, focusing on his wife’s breathing. What had Intergang been trying to do with his ship? Sam thought it could be used as a weapon. Could it?

He had so many questions. So many unanswered questions that had plagued him for years. Why was he here? Where did he come from? Were there others like him?

It had his emblem. The emblem that had been on the blanket his mom and dad had found him in. What did that symbol mean?

Unable to fight the urge any longer, he sat up, looking back at the sleeping figure of his wife before reaching for his shorts that had been tossed on the floor earlier. Being careful not to disturb her he stood up and made his way into the living room. There behind the piles of boxes he’d placed in the corner was the brown tarp that covered the blue and silver ship. He still hadn’t removed it.

He lifted one of the boxes and moved it to the floor then pushed the tarp back. A mix of emotions filled his mind as he stared at the familiar ‘S’ emblem carved into the nose of the ship. He ran his hand over the clay and dirt that was wedged between the red ‘S’ and frowned. When had they taken it? Was it right before they attacked his parents? After his dad had buried the ship? How long had they been studying it? What had they learned?

A brown bag sat in the ship with a tag that said, ‘Bureau 39. Smallville, KS 1988.’

‘The year all this started.’
He frowned to himself, uncertain if he wanted to know what was inside that bag. Finally, he decided to just open the bag and see what was in it. He frowned when he saw the round globe shaped like Earth inside it. It looked exactly like the globe his father had described.

‘They must have taken it when they attacked mom and dad.’ Clark reasoned to himself.

A soft glow began to resonate from the globe, and he watched in awe as the image began to change. A name popped into his head and he mumbled out, “Krypton.”

The brightness in the room began to grow. He stared intently at the globe as images flowed through his mind. A man wearing a white suit with his emblem on it and a woman dressed in a similar attire hovered over a baby.

“Kal-El.” The name popped into his head just as the planet name had before.

He dropped the globe, unable to handle any more of the images that continued to flow through his mind. He stared at the glowing object in shock as it floated above the ground almost as if it were calling to him.

“Do not be afraid, Kal-El.” The voice in his head said again.

He watched in awe as his arm reached out to touch the globe once more. The image of the man he’d seen before reflected from the globe and spoke to him. “My name is Jor-El. And you are Kal-El, my son. The object you hold has been attuned to you. That you now hear these words is proof that you survived the journey in space and have reached your full maturity. Now it is time for you to learn our heritage. To that end, I will appear to you five times. Watch for the light, listen, and learn.”

He wanted to block out the images he was seeing. War. Famine. Women and children desperately seeking help as the very ground around them swallowed them whole. They were memories of a life…a planet that had long since died off. Finally, the images changed to that of the man who identified himself as Jor-El—his father. No, his birth father.

The images changed to the couple holding one another as the walls around them trembled. Jor-El’s voice resonated around him as the images came into focus.

“Time grows short, and we continue to search. The immensity of space is both a blessing and a curse. In that near infinite variety, there must be someplace suitable Hope and desperation drive us in equal measure. Lara works by my side. She is tireless and endlessly patient. Considering what is soon to come, this is my greatest consolation: that we are together.”

The woman beside Jor-El smiled down at the sleeping baby in his arms. “He’s just a baby, Jor-El.” He could feel the pain in her eyes as the images unfolded.

“It’s his only chance, Lara,” Jor-El soothed. “If he remains here he will surely die as…we will.”

“But why Earth, Jor-El?” Lara asked, “They’re thousands of years behind us.”

“He will need that advantage to survive. Their atmosphere will sustain him.”

“He will defy their gravity,” Lara said.

“He will look like one of them.” Jor-El countered, stroking the baby’s cheek with a pained expression of his own.

“But he won’t be one of them.”

“His dense molecular structure will make him strong,” Jor-El added, ignoring Lara’s comment. “He’ll be fast and virtually invulnerable.”

“Isolated and alone.” Lara finished with tears as she leaned in to kiss the baby in her arms.

“He will never be alone.” Jor-El’s voice echoed.

The light from the globe diminished and the warmth in his hand went cold as it fell into his palm. Clark stared at the object in his hand, unable to wrap his head around the raw images he’d just seen. “Kal-El.” He spoke the foreign name that seemed to fit a missing piece he didn’t know he had inside him.

He looked around the living room, ensuring everything was still in its place. He let out a shaky breath, returning the globe to the small bag inside the spacecraft and pulling the tarp back over it. He returned to the bedroom, finding Lois curled up on his side of the bed hugging his pillow.

He smirked, crawling into bed as he wrapped his arms around her. He briefly wondered what the man and woman he’d seen in the hologram images would think if they could have met Lois—or Jamie. He felt a pang in his chest as his son’s name weighed heavily on his thoughts.

For so long he wondered where he came from and why he was sent here. Now it seemed he was finally going to find out why. ‘Lara and Jor-El.’ Those were the names of his birth parents.

The rapid thumping of his unborn child’s heartbeat reached his ears, and he felt his body relax, listening to the soft beats one by one. ‘Everything’s fine.’ He told himself, tightening his arms around his wife’s waist as she slept, unaware of the inner battle that continued to plague him.

“I love you.” He whispered in her ear, running his hand over her growing abdomen.

“Clar…” she mumbled incoherently as her chin nestled itself in between his shoulder blade and neck. He ran his hands up and down her growing abdomen once more and then he felt it.

A soft jab beneath the smoothness of her abdomen. He stilled his motions, waiting to feel it again. Then another jab hit his palm again.

A smile spread across his face. He looked to Lois who was blissfully ignorant of what he considered to be a milestone in their child’s development. He felt him. He felt him move. Lois had been feeling him move for the last few weeks, but he’d finally felt his son move.

“Lois,” He whispered, running his hand against her cheek.

“Hmm?” she mumbled sleepily.

“Our son just moved.” He couldn’t suppress the grin on his face.

“He’s always moving.” She whispered, running her palm over his chest in her sleep.

He glanced down at her sleeping figure and sighed, listening to the dual heartbeats of mother and son as they pounded in unison together. He smiled to himself, holding her close. “I love you, Lois,”

Mayson Drake wore a smug expression as the judge questioned Officer Sanders on the stand. She’d done it. She’d found the skunk in the rose garden.

“Officer Sanders, please state your name for the record.” The judge ordered.

“Michael Sanders.” The officer said firmly.

“You have been on the force for how long Officer Sanders?” the judge asked.

“Fi-Fifteen years.” He stammered, looking down at his lap.

“Is this your signature?” the judge asked, pointing to the statement in his hand.

“Yes, sir.” Officer Sanders said heavily.

“It is your testimony today that your statement here is false?” the judge pressed.

“Yes,” Sanders said glumly.

“You understand the penalty for perjury?”

“Yes,”

The judge banged his gavel, “Bailiff, please take Officer Sanders into custody where he’ll be arraigned.” The Bailiff nodded, taking the officer into custody. The judge then turned to Baby Rage who was sitting at the defendant table with his newly appointed counsel. “As for the defendant, Daniel Anthony Bell AKA, Baby Rage –You're going to trial.”

POLICE CORRUPTION EXPOSED: SKINS GET SKINNED
By Lois Lane and Clark Kent

“Great work you two!” Perry cheered, holding up the front page of the Daily Planet that afternoon.

“Now that Officer Sanders has agreed to turn evidence for the DA the cases he and the other officers tanked will be reopened, and justice will be served for the victims,” Lois said sharing a look with her husband.

The last three days had been filled with court hearings, and press conferences as the names of the corrupt officers were revealed. The Skins were all picked up and charged, but the name of the one calling the shots seemed to still elude them. The head of the Skins named Martin Snell as their contact in Intergang. He had been able to confirm a contract existed between Intergang and the Skins to insight fear among residents and businesses in the Lower East Side. That was a big win.

They still didn’t have a name for the one running things, but they had a link between Intergang and the violence that had been taking place in Metropolis over the last month. That was a step in the right direction. Thankfully after the first article had been published the slow down with the police became nonexistent. It seemed whoever had been behind Intergang didn’t like the spotlight.

“STAR Labs found fifteen employees on staff linked with Intergang. One of which has disappeared. No one knows what happened to Rollie Vale.” Clark explained, wrapping a protective arm around Lois’ waist.

“Sounds like some following up will be needed. Hopefully, they can find him.” Perry said, tapping his fingers on his chin. “Oh! Before I forget,” He held up two tickets for them. “I expect the both of you to be at the Charity Ball tonight. Bill Church is going to be making an announcement and…” Lois did her best to suppress her distaste for the event Perry was trying to force her and Clark to attend, but he caught it anyway. “I don’t want to hear it. You may not agree with his business practices, but he’s a good guy. I’ve yet to see otherwise.”

“A good guy that just happens to have a hired hitman as his personal assistant.” Lois pointed out.

“I’ve yet to see any evidence from either of you to prove otherwise.” Perry pointed out.

1994 Annual Charity Ball, the signage in front of the Embassy read. Two men stood outside, watching as the maintenance crew worked on cleaning the front walkway. Another man watched the scene unfold from afar, grinning to himself as he held a mobile phone to his ear, listening for instructions.

“Everything’s set, sir.” He watched as the two men walked away. “We’re clear.”

“Do it.” The voice from the other end of the phone instructed.

An eruption of fire filled the front of the Embassy. Screams and cries for help echoed through the streets.

Clark felt a bile in his throat as he sped across town trying to reach the cries for help as fast as possible. ‘No.’ The Embassy was engulfed in flames.

<<“Destroy. Alien. Destroy.”>>

‘Not now.’
He thought to himself, pushing the thoughts out of his mind. He hovered outside the flames, mustering up as deep of a breath as he could before releasing the freezing breath onto the flames.

‘Stop it.’
He pushed the thoughts out once more, taking a deep breath before releasing another blast of freezing breath onto the remainder of the flames. He let out a sigh of relief when he saw the flames were gone and all that remained was smoke and frozen brick and windows.

The cries for help had stopped. A light applause scattered around on the ground and he flew down to where the hotel manager was standing with the firefighters.

“Thank you, Superman!”

Clark forced a smile as he moved on autopilot through the crowd that had formed around the hotel. Emergency crews worked tirelessly to ensure everyone was treated. The Fire Marshall checked the building for structural damage and closed it off until further notice. All of this continued to happen around him, but all he could focus on was the voice that kept echoing inside his mind.

Something was wrong.

The voices he’d thought were gone kept coming back. The voices that had almost made him kill a man were haunting him. He needed help. Unfortunately, his choices were limited to a man he didn’t trust and was connected to the organization that did this to him and a man he’d just recently met but still didn’t entirely trust.

Images from his time in captivity pushed their way to the forefront of his mind. The glowing green rock and the needles as he’d been subjected to test after test after test by Trask. He’d been robbed of five years of his life because of this organization. He’d been robbed of his son…Lois. He couldn’t let them continue to control his life. He had to do something.

‘Lois trusts Dr. Klein.’ He reminded himself.

Bill Church kicked the door open to his son’s office, finding him leaned against a young blonde on his desk in a very compromising position. “Leave us!” he ordered, looking toward the clothing that had been thrown on the floor.

She looked to his son who sighed, straightening up and nodded. “Go.”

“Call me.” She called over her shoulder, grabbing her things as she headed for the door.

Church waited for her to exit before slamming the door behind her. “That’s the third secretary in the last month, Billy. You’re going to get yourself a reputation.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” Bill Church Jr. muttered under his breath. “More of getting to the point and less with the lecture.”

“Don’t you take that tone with me.” Church snarled at him. “I’m still in charge here.”

“Of course, dad,” Bill Jr. rolled his eyes. “What do you need? In case you didn’t notice I was in the middle of something when you barged in here.”

Church slammed a copy of the Daily Planet on the desk for his son to read. “You want to tell me why the building I was hosting an event for ended up in flames this afternoon?”

“Bad wiring?” Bill Jr. guessed.

“Don’t get smart with me. This has your handiwork all over it.” Church snapped.

“Well, I don’t know what to tell you, dad. It wasn’t me.” Bill Jr. spat angrily.

“Then who was it?” Church asked, narrowing his eyes at him.

“Still nothing?” Lex asked as he spoke into the phone.

“Not even a hesitation. Superman arrived and doused the flames then helped get everyone out. No pause.” The man said.

“Very well, Mr. Bermuda, thank you for your time. I’ll contact you for the next assignment when I’m ready.” Lex instructed with a sigh, staring at the red glowing device in his hand.

“Just make sure the check clears,” Bermuda instructed.

“Always,” Lex said hitting the end button with a click and turning his attention back to the red glowing device in his hand. “What am I missing?”

“I’m not crazy,” Clark said, folding his arms over his chest as Dr. Klein gave him an incredulous expression.

“I didn’t say you were.” Dr. Klein said cautiously. “It’s just an…unbelievable tale.”

“I know,” Clark said hesitantly, looking down at his feet before steering the conversation back to the problem at hand. “And that’s why I need your help. You’ve already proven yourself a trusted ally to a friend of mine. I need someone I can trust. I can’t continue going on rescues and having these…messages or whatever they are popping in my head constantly. It’s not safe.”

“Superman, you said you were subjected to tests by this mysterious organization, correct?” Dr. Klein began to ponder aloud.

“Yeah?” Clark nodded.

“Do you remember any of them?” he asked cautiously.

“Vividly,” Clark noted the frown on Dr. Klein’s face.

“Would you be willing to let me take a look? Maybe we can find something that could help explain what’s causing these messages you keep hearing.” Dr. Klein asked cautiously.

“The last time someone wanted to perform tests I ended up losing five years of my life,” Clark said hesitantly.

“I understand, but I can’t help you unless you let me.” Dr. Klein pointed out. “I promise no needles. They wouldn’t do me any good anyway.”

‘That’s what you think.’ Clark couldn’t help but think to himself before he nodded, “Let’s do this.”

Lois stared up at the moonlit sky, seeing the crowd of people coming and going from the entrance of her uncle’s restaurant. A banner hung on the wrought iron gate that enclosed the outdoor seating area, “1994 Annual Charity Ball.” Lighting with greenery was wrapped around the top of the gate and lanterns were lit on the back patio, illuminating the dining area. When she entered the restaurant, she saw the area around the stage where a live band was playing had been converted into a makeshift dance floor.

It was amazing how quickly Perry and Mike had been able to make this happen. After the bombing this afternoon they needed a new venue and Mike had offered his place up. Perry had jumped all over it. She moved through the crowd of people, searching for her missing husband. He hadn’t seen him since this morning at the Planet. Superman’s presence seemed almost non-existent after the Embassy bombing. She wasn’t sure what could have prompted the sudden disappearance but the more time passed, the more anxious she became about his disappearance.

She smiled, seeing her husband in his tux entering the restaurant from the other side of the room. “It is really not fair that you look that good in a tux.” She whispered under her breath, knowing full well he could hear her.

He caught her gaze, moving past the crowd until he was standing in front of her once again. “Hi,” He murmured, leaning in to kiss her.

“Hi yourself.” She grinned at him happily.

“You look…stunning.” He whispered, running his hands down her sides suggestively.

“Hey you two,” Perry walked up to them, reminding them they were in public. “Great work today. Any word on who might behind the bombing?” The tone in Perry’s voice told her he was asking more for personal reasons than professional.

“Thanks, Chief,” Lois smiled as Clark slipped his arm around her waist and turned to their editor. “They haven’t released any information.”

“We probably won’t know anything until they have a suspect in custody,” Clark added bitterly.

“Let’s hope they catch him fast. Have you tried these little rolls?” Perry asked, holding up a pinwheel roll on a stick. “Out of this world!”

“Hey, kids, how is everything?” Mike asked, patting them both on the shoulders as he walked up behind them.

Lois turned to him and smiled, “Uncle Mike, everybody's raving about the food.”

“Good to hear.” Mike beamed happily. “Perry thanks again for letting me help host this event. It’s good to feel useful again.”

“You keep cooking food like this you can host every event at the Planet too,” Perry said, taking a bite off his plate. “Amazing.”

“Thank you,” Mike looked to Lois and Clark, “It’s pretty amazing how fast things are turning around. No more gangs, no more slow cops, thanks to those articles you two wrote...”

“And the DA’s new Special Crimes Unit,” Clark added. Lois forced a smile at Clark’s comment. She still wasn’t sure what to think of Mayson, but she had to admit Mayson had really stepped up to the job of cleaning up City Hall. It seemed Clark’s instincts had been right about her after all.

“I guess whoever’s behind Intergang doesn’t like the spotlight much,” Lois said, smiling when she saw Lucy enter from the balcony with Pete and Rachel. “Luce!” she waved her hand to get her sister’s attention.

“Hey pumpkin,” Mike reached over to give Lucy a hug as she approached.

“Hello in there,” Lucy ducked down to talk to her abdomen.

Lois rolled her eyes. “Luce, do you have to do that every time you see me?”

“You betcha!” Lucy grinned up at her.

“Hey Lois, Clark,” Rachel said, reaching over Lucy’s squatted profile to give her a hug. “You look great.”

“Thanks,” Lois said. “Congratulations again on your new job. It’s going to be so great having you and Pete here in Metropolis.” She looked over to Pete who was talking with Clark about the latest football game.

“I think we lost them.” Rachel joked.

“I think you’re right.” Lois sighed, looking around. “Has anyone seen Jimmy?”

“Nope.” Lucy frowned, standing to her feet.

“Something happens?” Lois asked.

“Don’t ask,” Rachel whispered to her.

“Nope. We got into a fight and when I tried to call him the next day he ignored me. He still hasn’t called me back, and you know what?” Lucy snorted, “I don’t know why I’m wasting my time with someone that can’t respect me and my decisions. He doesn’t want to talk to me then fine I don’t want to talk to him.”

“Luce, you don’t mean that.” Lois tried to reason with her, knowing full well Lucy was putting on a show to hide how she was really feeling.

“I don’t want to talk about it anymore. I’m done talking about him and his irrational anxiety over things that are my decision to make.” Lucy cut her off. Lois glanced at Rachel who was doing her best to avoid eye contact with Lucy. Lucy took a deep breath and changed the subject. “So, I heard you guys started house hunting.”

“Yes, we’ve looked at a few places.” Lois acknowledged. “Nothing that feels like home yet, but we’re looking.”

“You know there’s a place for sale a few blocks from where we’re renting on Hyperion Drive.” Rachel said. “Maybe you can check it out. Real nice townhomes. We’re renting a two bedroom over there.”

“Maybe we’ll check it out,” Clark said, wrapping his arms around Lois’ waist possessively as a familiar song filled the air.

I found a love for me
Darling just dive right in
And follow my lead
Well I found a girl beautiful and sweet
I never knew you were the someone waiting for me
'Cause we were just kids when we fell in love

“If you’ll excuse us?” He took her hand and led her out onto the dance floor.

“I love this song.” She whispered, wrapping her arms around him as they swayed to the music together.

“I know.” He leaned in to kiss her.

Bill Church stood by the door, and Mayson walked up to him, taking a deep breath to confront him. She could do this. She could ask the hard questions. “Bill?”

He turned to greet her, “Mayson,”

“There's something I need to know,” she began hesitantly.

“This sounds like it's going to be a professional question.” He observed.

“We’re investigating all of Martin Snell’s business dealings. I thought I’d ask you first off the record if there’s anything I should know about your history with him.” Mayson tightened her jaw as she spoke, sending the signal that she meant business.

“I'll tell you on the record. No. I haven’t done any business with Martin since he left to start his own practice.”

“Sorry. I had to ask.” She apologized.

“Of course, you did, dear.” He gave her a pat on the shoulder. “Now go enjoy the party.”

She nodded, watching him leave before turning back toward the crowded restaurant. On the dance floor were several couples. One of them she’d come to know fairly well. She let out a soft sigh, watching as Clark Kent and Lois Lane swayed on the dance floor together.

“Would you care to dance?” a voice behind her caught her by surprise.

“Billy?” she smiled, “I didn’t know you were in town.”

“You look like you could use a friend.” He held his hand out to escort her on the dance floor.

“Thanks.” She took his hand and allowed him to walk her to the dance floor.

Lucy Lane stood on the sidelines, watching her sister move across the dance floor with her brother-in-law gracefully. She couldn’t help but smile as she watched them. They’d been through so much to get to where they were.

Part of her longed for a relationship like that. She wanted someone that knew her that well. Someone, she could share everything with and be her best friend. She and Jimmy had been dating for almost nine months now. While he was understanding in some aspects of their relationship, he wasn’t in others.

He didn’t understand why she had turned the story about the police corruption over to Lois and Clark. He didn’t seem to think she could make her own decisions without consulting him. He didn’t understand that her standing by and doing nothing wasn’t an option for her.

Now, it had been three days since their fight, and here she was on a Saturday night alone at a party with no one to dance with. She should be having fun, dancing and enjoying herself. It was a party after all, but she couldn’t. Why? Because she was still mulling over her fight with her absentee boyfriend that didn’t even have the decency to pick up the phone and call her back.

“You know, if you keep your face like that, it’s gonna stay that way.” A familiar voice said from behind her.

Lucy turned to see Captain Raymond with a drink in his hand, dressed in his uniform. He looked good in navy. “Captain Raymond, what are you doing here?”

“I thought we went over this.” He smiled back at her. “It’s Danny.”

“I don’t feel that we’re quite on the first name basis just yet.” She crinkled her nose at him.

“Are you kidding? We go all the way back to the Metro Bar. I asked you to dance. You said no. I asked you again, and you said no again.” He teased her with a happy grin before taking a sip of his drink.

“You have a thing for rejection, do you?” Lucy quipped with a raised eyebrow.

“I have a thing for not taking ‘no’ for an answer.” He replied. “Seems to have worked for me in the past.”

“Some might call that harassment.” She shot back with a teasing glare.

“Only if the attention is unwanted.” He replied. “I failed my entrance exam the first time I took it. If I hadn’t retaken the test, we might never have met.”

“What would the world have come to?” Lucy rolled her eyes.

“So where’s your boyfriend? The lucky one that gets to dance with the beautiful Lucy.” He asked, looking toward the dance floor. Lucy looked down at her feet, not wanting to discuss her absentee boyfriend at the moment. “Let me guess, he had to work?”

Lucy shook her head, “Who knows?”

“Fight?” Captain Raymond asked.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Lucy sighed.

“Fair enough.” Captain Raymond countered, following her gaze toward her sister on the dance floor. “Who’s the brunette?”

“My sister,” Lucy said with a long breath.

“She looks like she’s having a good time with…uh…” he hesitated uncertainly how to finish his sentence and Lucy laughed.

“That’s Clark–her husband.” Lucy supplied.

“Well, they look like they’re having a good time.” He said.

“Yeah, they do.” Lucy smiled.

“You two close?”

“You a little nosey?” she shot him a look.

“Hey, you’re the one that said you didn’t know me well enough to go by first names.” Captain Raymond shrugged.

“You never give up.” She muttered under her breath.

“Hey, I am just trying to make friends. I have not once asked you to dance.” He retorted with a smile.

“You act like that’s such a sacrifice.” She laughed.

“It is.” He said, poking his chest out and painting on a hurt expression behind his laughing eyes.

“You’re impossible.”

“Oh come on, one dance won’t kill you.” Captain Raymond retorted.

Lucy smiled as he shot her a wide grin, “You never give up, do you?”

“Nope.” His grin widened.

She toyed with the idea for a moment then surprised herself by relenting and offering him a half-smile. “One dance.”

The song came to an end, and Clark leaned in to kiss Lois, resting his hands on her waist. “You know what I was thinking?” he murmured against her lips.

“That the baby needs to quit doing somersaults on your bladder?” Lois teased, placing a hand on her abdomen. “He’s getting very active.” Clark placed his hand next to hers and felt the soft jab against his palm. Lois leaned up to kiss him. “Amazing, isn’t it?”

“It still amazes me to see how many things change from this tiny little guy.” He smiled, running his hand over hers.

“I know.” She grinned. “Feels like it’s all happening so fast this time around.” She let out a low groan and frowned. “I’m going to run to the restroom. The baby’s pressing on my bladder.”

He nodded, releasing his arms around her and watching her leave. He spotted Pete and Jimmy by the door to the patio and headed toward them.

“Yeah, there’s gonna be a show at the Art Museum next month. You should check it out. I’ll get you guys some tickets.” Pete was saying as he walked up to them. “Hey, CK, Lois get tired of dancing with you already?”

“Very funny,” Clark said sarcastically, nudging him in the ribs with his elbow. “Where’s Rachel?”

Pete pointed to the crowd of officers that were huddled around the governor and of all people Bill Church. “Working the crowd.”

Clark frowned, watching as the governor and mayor laughed with Bill Church. Though they hadn’t found anything that outright screamed criminal in the man’s past, there was something ungenuine about him that set Clark on edge. That coupled with his history with Martin Snell made him very wary of the man. Was he behind Intergang or was there someone higher up pulling the strings? Only time would tell.

“So, I was telling Jimmy here about the exhibit my agent set up for my work in Malaysia last year. Free food and drinks while you walk around the museum of art. Should be fun.” Pete grinned.

“Barring any disasters.” Clark nodded, “You can count Lois and me in.”

“I’d love to be able to do that someday. Just pick up and go anywhere the wind takes me.” Jimmy said in awe. “The rate I’m going I’ll be picking up Perry White’s dry cleaning the rest of my life.”

“He treats you how you allow him to treat you. Talk to him. Tell him how you feel.” Clark said, placing a hand on the young man’s shoulder.

“Perry White doesn’t care how I feel. To him, I’m Mr. Fix-It and Mr. Go-Get-It.” Jimmy said with a sigh.

“If you want him to treat you like a journalist then act like one. Bring him the stories, photos, and leads.” Clark instructed.

“As long as you let him treat you like an errand boy you’re not going to get anywhere.” Pete piped in, patting Clark on the shoulder. “Now take Clark here. Nicest guy you’ll meet. Some might even say too nice.” He shared a grin with Clark. “Senior year of high school we were both on the paper. Had the rudest and crudest editor you can imagine. Scott Roe.”

“Oh God, don’t remind me.” Clark groaned, recalling the know-it-all Pete was referring to.

“He thought he could turn everyone into his personal assistant and get by with it. After all, he was the editor, and we were the lowly reporters.” Pete shared a look with Jimmy, “Sound familiar?”

“The Chief isn’t crude,” Jimmy argued. “He just doesn’t see me as a journalist.”

“You have to change the way he sees you.” Pete implored. “So, Homecoming week a huge scandal broke out about how one of the students got caught selling test answers to some of the intelligently challenged players on the football team.” He shared a look with Clark then went back to his story. “I don’t know if you’ve been to some of the smaller towns, but you’ll find football season is life out there. Everyone cheers for their team and they cheer hard.”

“I’m familiar.” Jimmy grinned.

“Anyway, our editor thought he could just take the big story and give everyone else the fluff pieces on the Corn Festival and –”

“Corn Festival?” Jimmy asked incredulously.

“It’s a lot of fun. Trust me. Ask Lois.” Pete grinned. “Anyway, this had been the fifth or sixth time of this happening, so we were getting tired of it. Unfortunately for Mr. Roe, he didn’t have a lot of friends because of his sparkling personality, so he was trying to cover a story –a big story—and he was failing—miserably.”

“Pete and I decided to go after the story ourselves and prove we could handle it,” Clark explained. “Needless to say some words were exchanged, but the article did make it on the front page.”

“He published it?” Jimmy asked.

“He had to. It was the only article he had with interviews from everyone. He certainly wasn’t going to get anyone on the football team to talk to him.” Pete chuckled. “The point I’m trying to make here is you want the big story you go after it. Don’t wait for it to be handed to you.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Jimmy reasoned aloud. “There’s still so much I don’t know. I mean I wouldn’t even know how to start making contacts like you and Lois do. Where do you even begin?”

“You start by doing,” Pete said, smiling when something across the room caught his attention. “Looks like Lucy’s finally getting off the sidelines and enjoying herself.”

Clark followed Pete’s gaze with a solemn look. He knew things had been rocky between Lucy and Jimmy lately, but he also knew they still cared for one another. Jimmy glanced toward the dance floor and frowned. “I’m gonna grab a drink.” He said hurriedly walking toward the bar that had been set up.

Clark frowned, watching the young man walk away. He didn’t know Jimmy that well, but he could tell he was hurting. He wanted to say something—do something to help but interfering would only stir things up even more between Lucy and Jimmy. Hopefully, the two of them could work things out. He watched Lucy dancing with the young man. It seemed innocent enough but whether that’s how Jimmy saw it was another story.

Perry walked through the crowd noting the couples on the dance floor. A familiar voice from behind him spoke up, “Pretty good turnout considering the change of venue at the last minute.”

Perry turned and saw his friend, Bill Church, “Bill, good to see you.” He extended his hand to shake his friend’s.

“Two hours left and we’ve already surpassed the goal. Great job, Perry.” Church patted him on the shoulder.

“Mr. Church, pardon me, but the mayor would like a word.” A middle eastern man said, interrupting them.

“Oh yes, thank you Asabi.” Church patted him on the shoulder then turned back to Perry, “We’ll catch up soon, Perry. Business to attend to. You understand?”

“Of course.” Perry watched his friend move through the crowd to where the mayor was waiting with a beautiful brunette on his arm then turned his attention back to Asabi. “I don’t believe we’ve been properly introduced…Perry White.”

“I know who you are, Mr. White,” Asabi said mysteriously before stepping away.

Perry frowned, watching the man walk away from him before he saw a familiar face at the bar. “Jimmy, what are you doing over here? Why aren’t you dancing with that girlfriend of yours?”

“She’s dancing with some other guy,” Jimmy said bitterly, looking toward the dance floor.

“And you’re sitting over here doing nothing about it because?” Perry gave him a sharp look.

“What’s there to do?” Jimmy scoffed. “Obviously she’s moved on.”

“Did she say that?” Perry asked.

“Well, no…” Jimmy admitted sheepishly, “but…”

“No buts.” Perry cut him off. “It seems to me you’ve been doing a lot of sulking lately and not enough doing. Why don’t you put that drink down and go talk to her?”

Jimmy glanced at the drink in his hand then set it on the bar, pushing it back and getting up from the stool he was seated at. He pulled out his wallet to pay for his drink and Perry waved him off. “I’ve got it, son. Go take care of business.”

“Thanks, Chief,” Jimmy said, headed toward the dancing figure of Lucy Lane.

“Go get her, kid.” Perry chuckled to himself.

Thankfully the song had been upbeat, so there hadn’t been a need to get close to Danny—Captain Raymond. She had to admit, he wasn’t bad looking. He definitely was cute enough and had a fun personality, but given that her relationship with Jimmy was still up in the air she didn’t feel comfortable around him. He liked her—that much was obvious, but she had a boyfriend. Despite everything she still loved Jimmy. As the song came to an end, she scanned the crowd for her sister.

“How about another dance?” he asked as the slow chords to the next song started to play. The lead singer began to pour out the familiar lyrics, and Lucy turned away.

It still feels like our first night together
Feels like the first kiss
It's getting better baby
No one can better this
Still holding on
You're still the one
First time our eyes met
Same feeling I get
Only feels much stronger
I want to love you longer
Do you still turn the fire on?

“That was fun, Danny, but I really need to find Lois,” Lucy said, spotting Clark talking with Pete by the door to the patio. Wherever Clark was usually her sister wasn’t too far away. She really needed to talk to her.

“I’ll come with you.” He offered, “Help you find her.”

“That’s very sweet, but I really…” She stopped when she saw Lois on the other side of the room talking with a familiar looking man. She couldn’t place him, but she could tell from the expression on her sister’s face he was bad news.

So if you're feeling lonely, don't
You're the only one I'll ever want
I only want to make it good
So if I love you, a little more than I should

“Lucy…” she heard Danny call her name, but she didn’t hear the rest as she moved across the room and toward her sister.

“I don’t think you know who you’re dealing with, Ms. Lane. Idle threats are taken very seriously in my line of work.” The man said as Lucy approached.

“Are you threatening me?” Lois challenged, daring the man to say the wrong thing.

“You’re quite a spirited young woman, Ms. Lane. I can understand Mr. Luthor’s enchantment with you.”

“Excuse me?” Lois’ tone was on edge and Lucy could tell she was putting on a front, but her eyes told a different story.

“Lois! There you are.” Lucy said, walking up to her and placing a protective arm around her. “I’ve been looking everywhere for you.”

The man looked spooked for a moment with her presence, and Lucy smiled inwardly before the man found his words. “I think you’ll find yourself in a less than forgiving situation should you continue this fruitless cause of yours, Ms. Lane. Make no mistake, you are not invincible and if you cross that line with our organization measures will be taken to ensure punishment is delivered swiftly and accurately.” He looked down at her growing abdomen, “You’ve already lost one child, do you really want to tempt fate?”

It happened faster than Lucy could process. Lois’ arm moved back, and she delivered a hard punch to the man’s jaw, knocking him on the floor. A second later Clark was by their side, pulling a raging Lois Lane back from delivering another blow.

“Get her out of here,” Lucy instructed. Clark moved Lois away from the mysterious man and out onto the patio at record-breaking speed. Lucy watched as the man stood up, rubbing his jaw. The look in his eyes frightened her.

“Luce?”

Lucy turned and saw Jimmy standing in front of her in a tux. “Hi,” she said, trying to gather her emotions after the encounter she’d just witnessed. That man had just threatened her sister and her unborn child’s life in the middle of a charity event with every politician and high ranking officer in attendance. He acted as if he was untouchable as he walked toward Bill Church who was currently talking with the mayor and governor.

“You okay?” Jimmy asked.

“I’ve been better,” Lucy admitted, looking toward the menacing man again. “Jimmy, have you ever seen that man before?”

Jimmy followed her gaze, “That used to be Lex Luthor’s man servant.” He looked at her with concern, “Why?”

She could feel the tears threatening to escape and a lump in her throat form. “I need to get out of here.” She scanned the room for the nearest exit.

“I’ll walk with you.” He said following her to the door. “We need to talk.” He opened the door for her, and she took a deep breath, sighing in relief when she saw the familiar wrought iron fence outside the front of her uncle’s restaurant. The last chorus of the song echoed on the speakers, and he turned to her, “Luce, are you okay?”

Please forgive me, I know not what I do
Please forgive me, I can't stop loving you
Don't deny me, this pain I'm going through
Please forgive me, if I need you like I do
Please believe me, every word I say is true
Please forgive me, I can't stop loving you

“No, I’m not okay.” She whispered bitterly. “I’m anything but okay right now.”

“You seemed to be enjoying yourself earlier.” He pointed out.

“Well, I wasn’t going to sit here and sulk about my MIA boyfriend the whole night.” She shot him a glare.

“I’m still your boyfriend?” He asked weakly.

“Barely.” She shot him a disapproving look.

“You kicked me out.” He pointed out.

“You were being a jerk.” She snapped back. “It was a fight, not a break-up. I tried calling you, and you never called me back.”

“I’m sorry.” He said, looking down at his feet. “I guess I don’t react how I should.”

“You completely shut me out.” She snapped at him.

“I know.” He said, looking back up at her. “I shouldn’t have done that.”

“No, you shouldn’t have.”

“Luce, I’m sorry.” He said softly, “I guess I’m not that good at relationships as I should be.”

“You really made me mad.” She scowled at him. “If this is going to work you have to understand something: Lois is my family. I will do anything and everything to protect her, and she’ll do the same thing for me. I know you’ve only known her for a few months, but you can’t go around insinuating that she’d do anything to hurt me like that. For the longest time, she was my only family.”

Jimmy took a step closer to her and nodded, “I know. I shouldn’t have said that. I guess I was just so afraid that something was going to happen to you. I love you, Lucy. When you told me what you did it scared me. It still scares me.”

“Lois would never let anything happen to me,” Lucy said softly. “I’m scared too. I was scared when I came forward but Jimmy that’s why I went to Lois. She and Clark deal with this kind of stuff all the time.”

“They are the best,” Jimmy admitted with a smile. “I just wish you’d come to me with this and not blindside me like that. You didn’t come to me.”

“I didn’t want to mix you up in all of this,” Lucy said with a sigh. “From what I hear the people responsible for all this are pretty dangerous. Plus I didn’t want you talking me out of it after I’d decided to come forward.”

“If I promise not to overreact will you promise to come to me when you’ve got a problem? We should be able to turn to one another.” He gave her a pleading look. She smiled leaning in to kiss him. He grinned against her lips. “Does this mean we’ve made up?”

“What do you think?” She giggled, leaning in to kiss him once more.

Present Day…

“We still don’t know where the black kryptonite came from.” Lois pointed out. “What if it came from Lex Luthor?”

“It’s a bit of a stretch.” Clark reasoned aloud.

“Is it?” Lois pressed. “He’s been testing you for months.”

“Superman.” He corrected. “He’s been testing Superman.”

“Same difference.” She said, “Black is the only variation there weren’t notes on from Intergang’s files, yet it showed up inside Metallo. Coincidence?”

“So now you think your dad was working with Luthor?” Clark gave her a dubious look.

“I don’t know.” She cut him off. “I guess we could ask him.”

“It’s too dangerous.” He shook his head.

“Well, we need to think of something,” Lois said, looking at the clock. “You’re running out of time.”

He sighed, seeing the minute hand hit twelve. It was noon. “Come on, I’ll take you and Jon home and fly back.”

“Are you sure you want to do that with the medial looking for Superman everywhere?” Lois asked, glancing toward the television that was turned to LNN.

“I’ll be fine.” He said, leaning in to kiss her.

“Clark?” Clark’s face scrunched up in pain, and he fell to the floor. “Clark!” Lois knelt down next to him, placing her hand on his shoulder.

Lucy looked up from her microscope, surprised to see her boss standing over her, “Professor Hamilton,” she smiled at him. “What are you doing here?”

“I’ve got a special project, and I thought you might want to help.” He said, holding up a small tube of grey ashy residue in his hand.

“Okay, sure.” She set down her notes and moved to follow him to his office.

<<“Destroy Metropolis.”>>

The voice echoed in his head.

‘No, you’re stronger than this.’ He told himself as he held the satellite in his arms. ‘Go back.’

<<“Destroy Metropolis.”>>

‘It’s the programming. Stop it.’ He told himself.

“Clark?” Lois knelt down on the floor next to her husband, placing a tentative hand on his shoulder. One minute they’d been discussing the possibility of Lex Luthor having black kryptonite and the next he’d been on the floor cradling his head.

He took a shallow breath, holding her hand in his. “I’m okay.” He reassured her.

“What happened?” She asked.

“I..I don’t know.” He frowned.

“You need to see Dr. Klein.” She whispered standing to her feet.

Six Months Ago…

“All right, a little to the left.” Lois pointed as Clark and Pete held the couch in their arms, arranging the furniture for the tenth time that afternoon. Pete was giving her an annoyed look while Clark smirked at her.

“Here?” Pete asked.

“Right there.” Lois said and motioned for them to set the couch down.

Pete sighed in relief and turned to Clark, “I think that’s the last of it.”

“Thank you, Pete.” Lois gave him a smile, wrapping her arms around Clark’s waist. She felt his hand move to rest on her growing abdomen and shared a look with him.

“We really do appreciate your help, Pete.” Clark said, placing an arm over Pete’s shoulders.

“No prob.” Pete grinned back at them. “What time are your folks coming in? Maybe I can catch them before my show starts?”

“Um…” Lois exchanged a look with Clark. Jonathan and Martha were flying in Superman Express. It would be their first trip to Metropolis since the wedding. She and Clark had tried to make a few trips out to see them but Superman and Intergang kept getting in the way.

Now that the corruption in the Metropolis P.D. had been exposed more and more witnesses were coming forward to help build a case for the FBI. Still the head of the organization remained a mystery. Darryl and Martin Snell were among many of the lieutenants named.

After the capture of the latest ringleader, Gene Newtrich, a soil engineer caught trying to smuggle drugs through his construction company and thought to be connected to both Bill Church Sr. and Martin Snell she and Clark had hardly had any time to focus on the tedious task of moving into the new townhome they’d bought.

“I think mom and dad said their flight was getting in pretty late. Maybe you can come by this weekend with Rachel?” Clark suggested. Lois smiled to herself. He was getting better at the excuses.

“Yeah, that’d be good.” Pete acknowledged, looking around. “What do you want me to do with the extra boxes here? I can toss them in the basement if you want.”

“Uh, no!” Lois said a bit too hurriedly. “Lucy’s going to come by to pick them up. She asked us to hold them for her.”

‘Liar.’ She thought to herself.

“Oh, okay,” Pete shrugged. “Well, if there’s nothing else I’m going to head home and get changed. See you guys tonight?”

“Wouldn’t miss it.” Lois flashed him a quick smile. “Thanks again.”

“No prob. Congrats on moving in finally.” He called over his shoulder.

“Guess what?” Clark whispered in her ear, pulling her to him.

“What?” she gasped when he scooped her off her feet, carrying her to the double doors that led to the foyer. “Clark!”

“We’re officially moved in, Mrs. Kent,” He leaned in to kiss her, still cradling her in his arms.

Sam Lane watched as the black stone lit up and the power began to equalize on Metallo’s charts. Careful to watch the power levels he removed the plug that he had been using to maintain him. Nothing changed. He let out a low sigh. He’d done it. He’d actually done it.

“He’s stabilized.” He said, looking up at Rollie Vale who was watching him in suspense.

“Great, now we can begin waking him up.” Vale instructed.

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube