My Own Worst Enemy
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 4
Rated: PG-13

Seven Months Ago…

Lois stared up at the ceiling in a daze, feeling her mind slowly come back into focus after her and Clark's recent lovemaking. She glanced over at Clark who had a sloppy grin on his face as he stared back at her.

“I’m really starting to like second-trimester sex.” She grinned as his arms tightened around her.

“Uh-huh,” He grunted his approval, holding her close as he rolled them over, so he was on his back, “You are…incredible.” He whispered, leaning in to kiss her.

She sighed against him, “That was even better than that time in the back of your pickup.”

He chuckled, tightening his arms around her, “Really?” His fingertips made a walking motion on her shoulder blades, sending a shiver down her spine. “That good, huh?”

Her left leg glided up his side, and she whispered, “Better. Much, much better. The only thing I’d like more would be…”

“More?” he murmured in her ear, running his palms up and down her sides.

“Encore, encore.” She giggled against him. He leaned into her and recaptured her lips, flipping them over, so he was on top of her as he prepared to repeat their activities well into the night.

Bill Church walked with Martin Snell toward his awaiting limo. “I want the first phase of the Southside project completed by the end of business today, Martin. I’m not a patient man.”

Snell nodded, looking around them uneasily as they approached the limo. He still wasn’t’ sure why Asabi had been given the responsibility of driving Mr. Church around. The organization had been in business for years and never before had Bill Church agreed to be driven around anywhere. He wasn’t sure what to make of the Middle Eastern chauffer and part-time personal assistant, but he knew given time Asabi would show his cards. They always did. He would be there to catch him when Asabi did—just as he always did.

“It will be handled, Mr. Church,” Martin reassured him, opening the door to the limo for him. “Asabi,” he nodded to the gentleman as he stepped out of the limo for Church to enter.

“Mr. Church, you really shouldn’t burden yourself with trips to the East Side without proper protection,” Asabi warned, throwing a glare at Martin.

“I like to have a hands-on approach to all my projects, Asabi.” Church sighed, leaning into the limo to take a seat.

“Of course, Mr. Church,” Asabi bowed his head, and Martin looked back at him suspiciously.

“I still don’t understand what exactly you do around here. I mean, Mr. Church was doing fine driving himself…” Martin began.

“Mr. Church needs to have his mind clear to deal with more pressing matters. I do what needs to be done to ensure that.” Asabi responded with a cold stare.

“Martin, leave him be. Worry about your own problems and quit—”

“Hey, Church!!”

Bill turned to see an armored car approaching with only the barrels of four guns poking out. The tint to the windows hid the passengers' faces well, but the rain of gunfire wasn’t hard to miss.

“Get down!!” Snell lunged toward Church, pushing him and himself back into the limousine. The door closed behind them, and the sound of return fire could be heard around them.

“You were saying something about not needing him around?” Church looked to Snell with a smug grin as Asabi opened the door.

“The coast is clear, Mr. Church.”

<<“It wasn’t Jamie’s blood. It was yours.”>>

A long sharp needle with a glowing green tip came toward him. He fought against the restraints, but they were too tight. He was too weak.

“No!”

“Hold him down!” Trask ordered.

“No!”

He felt a piercing pain in his neck as four agents held him in place. He fought against them with everything he had, but it was no use. It was always no use.

<<“It wasn’t Jamie’s blood. It was yours.”>>

“No!!”

Clark sat up, looking around in a panic.

‘Just a dream.’ He told himself. ‘Just a dream.’

He looked behind him, letting out a sigh of relief when he saw Lois curled up on the bed next to him. He leaned back, wrapping his arms around her, resting his hands over the small bump that had begun to form.

The rapid thumping of his unborn child’s heartbeat reached his ears, and he felt his body relax, listening to the soft beats one by one. It amazed him to watch the changes take place throughout Lois’ pregnancy. He missed so much with Jamie. Seeing his wife’s body change as it grew this new precious life that held so much promise thrilled him. Every mood swing, back pain, and craving she had reminded him of how much he’d gained over the last year. He loved watching her once tiny waist and flat abdomen grow. Every new curve made her even more beautiful to him.

“Clar…” she mumbled incoherently in her sleep.

He smiled, looking down at her, pulling her to him, so her head rested on his chest as he willed his recent nightmare to part from his mind. He’d come a long way since his escape from Bureau 39, but he still had nightmares from his time in captivity that would bring the painful memories back. He hated that he still struggled with so much trauma. Here he was the most powerful man in the world crippled in fear at the thought of this organization setting its sights on him and his family.

“I love you, Lois,” He whispered, running his fingers through her hair as she slept. “I won’t let anyone hurt you again.”

“Everything went according to plan,” Gretchen said, adjusting Lex’s tie as she spoke. “The assailants were taken care of by Asabi and Bill Church is pulling him closer and closer into his inner circle.”

“Yes, and once I’ve found out what exactly Intergang’s plan is for Metropolis, I’ll stop it and destroy it piece by piece,” Lex said, stepping away from Gretchen. He scanned the collection of newspapers on the table, “What’s this?”

He picked up a tabloid cover with an image of Lois Lane and Clark Kent on the cover.

Lane And Kent Hitched! Exclusive Photos Inside!

Another cover had a picture of Lois Lane with a red circle around her waist with a headline in bold yellow letters.

Is She Or Isn’t She?

Lex scowled when he saw the image of the happy couple on the cover. It still angered him to know Lois Lane had been so influential in his takedown. She was one of the few women that had been immune to his charms.

He sneered at the image of the mild-mannered reporter, Clark Kent that held Lois Lane in his arms. How Darryl could think an insignificant man like Kent was Superman he would never know. He’d read the articles and stories that had come out after Kent’s return from the dead. He’d been held captive and tortured. Not something that was possible when dealing with the man of steel.

But he would soon find Superman’s weakness, and then he would exploit it and make the man of steel rue the day he crossed Lex Luthor.

“Lane!” Warren called, waving his hand in front of her face.

“What’s up?” Lucy looked up from the sample she was examining under the microscope.

“Got a new assignment for you.” He handed her a file.

“What is it?” She asked, opening the file. She frowned when she saw the case she was being handed. “A fingerprint analysis?”

“Real hot issue. The police commissioner wants this made priority.” Warren said, avoiding eye contact with her.

“And our John Doe?” She asked, looking toward the microscope where she’d been examining the tissue sample collected at the crime scene.

“He’s not going anywhere.” Warren shrugged, pulling out a large packet of folders and handing them to her. “Also, we need to have the detectives sign off on these cases.”

Lucy sighed, taking the stack of folders from him and flipping the first one open, “I don’t understand. These are orders to have tissue samples destroyed…” She looked up at Warren in surprise.

“We can’t store samples forever, Lane.” Warren shrugged.

“This case isn’t even closed!” Lucy scoffed, pointing to the file in her hand.

“I don’t ask questions. I just do what I’m told.” He retorted irritably. “Just get with the detectives on the case and get them to sign off on it.”

“Fine,” Lucy said, unable to hide her distaste for the task she’d been given.

The sound of sirens from the television echoed behind her as Lois finished up her article on Cost Mart. It wasn’t the best piece she and Clark had written, but it wasn’t fluff either. It showed how the large store’s presence affected the smaller businesses that had been there prior to Cost Mart moving to Metropolis.

It had been a long and tiring morning. She finally had a possible lead on the corruption with the Metropolis P.D. and possibly City Hall. Unfortunately, she couldn’t start working on it until she sent the Cost Mart story in. They’d been late...again, and Perry hadn’t been amused this morning with their excuse of being caught in traffic. She felt a shiver of delight run down her spine, recalling the reason for their tardiness. After Mayson left last night, Clark had disconnected the phone lines and placed a 'do not disturb' sign on the front door to prevent any other interruptions. She grinned to herself, recalling every pleasurable moment in his arms. The morning sickness had long since faded and in its place was an insatiable appetite for her husband. Something neither of them could find a downside to. They were after all newlyweds.

After this last week, she needed the ego boost. Though, it was thrilling to watch her body change and feel their child move inside her for the first time it frightened her as well. There were so many new things that came with this pregnancy. Things she had forgotten and things that were new all around. With Jamie, she'd been too distraught to focus too hard on her changing body.

Now here she was, almost six years later and carrying her second child with Clark. Unlike the first time around, she didn’t have to go through this alone. It was reassuring and terrifying at the same time. Though she was ecstatic about impending motherhood and finally filling that hole in her heart, she knew only a child could fill she was apprehensive too.

There were little things over the last week that seemed to rub her the wrong way. The change in the way she was treated by her colleagues once her pregnancy was announced. The pats on the back Clark received from the likes of Ralph and Steve. Then there were the looks she got from Carol, and the other city beat reporters as well as a certain conversation she'd overheard in the women's restroom a few days ago.

<<“Lois Lane finally tamed?”>>

<<“Well, at least we don’t have to worry about competing with her for Kerths next year.”>>

<<“Yeah, she’s definitely lost her edge.”>>

<<“I guess now we know why the need to tie the knot so quickly.”>>

<<“Think she got pregnant on purpose?”>>

<<“Five years of him being gone and she didn’t take any more than a few months to drag him down the aisle. I give it a year tops.”>>

<<“So much for the eye-candy around here. What a waste.”>>

<<“I dunno. If you ask me, I think he looks even better now than he did five years ago. Definitely filled out in all the right places.”>>

Lois shook her head, pushing the memory of the conversation she’d overheard out of her mind. She found it harder and harder to remain in control these days. Overhearing conversations from her colleagues about how they didn’t find her a threat professionally hurt, but hearing them dissect her and Clark’s marriage hit a nerve.

Upon seeing the positive pregnancy test, she had been apprehensive. Having another baby scared her and thrilled her all at the same time. Clark’s request to finally be married came shortly after the positive test result and after months of intense therapy for both of them. It didn’t seem to matter to any of these busy-bodies that she and Clark had been engaged prior to his disappearance and her pregnancy with Jamie. It also didn’t seem to matter to them that she received her first Kerth nod on a story she worked on while pregnant with Jamie. No, none of that seemed to matter.

“What’s got your feathers in a bunch?”

Lois looked up and saw Cat Grant taking a seat in the chair at her desk. “Oh, nothing.” She lied, not meeting the older woman’s eyes. “Just trying to figure out this angle.”

“Uh-huh,” Cat noted with a knowing look.

Lois turned her attention back to her screen, unwilling to divulge anything more. While she and Cat had grown close over the years, there were some things she didn’t feel comfortable sharing with her. The comments that had been made brought out many self-doubts in her that she didn’t know existed.

She wasn’t an idiot. She knew her husband was attractive...more than attractive. It was one of the many things that had caught her attention when they’d first met. She’d spent months working side by side with him both at the Planet and the Met U paper and found herself falling hard for him despite the pep talks she gave herself on a daily basis about not getting distracted.

She was used to seeing other women stare or take a second glance at Clark. It didn’t use to bother her, but now with her body changing the way it was she didn’t feel the same confidence in herself that she had before. Inner doubts plagued the back of her mind as she watched her body continue to change at what she felt was an insanely fast rate. Here she was the size of a house and Clark was still as gorgeous as ever with women continuing to eye him like he was a piece of meat. It had been annoying when they’d been dating. It had been irritating when they were engaged. Now, it was downright disrespectful and grating on her nerves.

“Well, I have to say this is the first time I’ve seen you act like…yourself.” Cat began cautiously, looking over her shoulder at the screen Lois was finishing her story on.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Lois asked defensively.

“Just that you’ve been a little on the moody side since Perry printed that pregnancy announcement in the Lifestyle section two days ago.” Cat gave her a knowing look.

“That’s not it.” Lois sniffed irritably. “I’ve been a little sidetracked.”

“Yeah, I noticed. Six foot tall. Dark hair and brown eyes…by-line right next to yours?” Cat teased.

“I have work to do,” Lois said, fighting the smile that was threatening to spread across her face.

“Yeah that’s right you two were ‘caught in traffic’ this morning.” Cat winked at her.

“Hey, Lois,” Jimmy approached with a message in his hand. “Where’s Clark? I got a message for him—” He waved the white slip of paper in his hand.

“I’ll take it, Jimmy.” Lois pointed to the television that showed a family distraught as Superman carried a young child toward the ambulance. “He’s, uh, covering the drive-by shooting. He should be back soon.” She did her best to hide the strain in her voice as she saw the camera zero in on her husband’s forlorn face.

Jimmy nodded and handed the paper to her then turned to head back to his desk. Cat sighed, standing up, “I’ve gotta get going. The verdict on the Mandelin case is supposed to come in in an hour, and I want to get a good seat.”

“Good luck.” She smiled, watching Cat leave and head to the elevator. Cat always found a way to tease a smile out of her. She was one of the few people Lois had let in after Clark’s disappearance and had become a good friend over the years.

Lois placed the message Jimmy had given her down on her desk, frowning when she saw who it was from. Mayson Drake.

“What? She didn’t disturb us enough last night?” Lois grumbled to herself. She was trying to be polite. She was trying to not over-react, but it was really hard when she had a blonde, size two bimbo of a district attorney showing up everywhere. It was obvious Mayson hadn't shown up at the apartment for just a deposition last night. Her hair and makeup had been too perfect for just coming from the office.

She had gone over everything that had happened at the police station when they first met Mayson a few days ago, trying to figure out where she could have gotten the idea that Clark was available but nothing popped in her mind. He certainly wasn't sending off any signals that he was interested in anything other than helping her Uncle Mike. She snorted to herself, recalling the look of surprise on Mayson's face when she'd answered the door.

Had Clark not been in the next room she probably would have said a lot more to the ADA. Had he not stopped her she would have slammed the door in her face and let her stew on the front porch. It was petty, but being able to knock Mayson down a few pegs would have felt good. She had come to her home last night with the intent to do God-knows-what with her husband. Even after she knew he was married Mayson couldn't seem to keep her eyes inside her eye sockets.

'Court date is scheduled. Call me. - Mayson'

Lois stared down at the note again. If it was just the court date she was calling about there's no reason Clark had to be the one to call, right? She reached for the phone, dialing the number that had been left with Jimmy. "Returning a call from Mayson Drake's office," she told the secretary. She turned in her chair, to see the coverage on Superman's rescues in the Lower East Side. It was getting worse and worse each day. The camera lingered on her husband's face, filled with pain and guilt as he carried a young child toward an awaiting ambulance.

"Mayson Drake," the voice rang on the other end of the phone.

"Mayson? Hi, Lois Lane...Kent." she emphasized her married name with an icy tone before returning to her normal tone of voice. "I got your message. There's a court date?"

“Lois, hi,” Mayson cleared her throat before responding, "Yes, next Tuesday at nine am."

"Anything else I need to pass along to my husband when he gets back?" Lois asked, suppressing the urge to ask why Mayson couldn’t have just left the information with Jimmy when she’d called earlier. She knew given the emotional state she was in getting into a pissing match with the ADA right before her uncle’s trial wasn’t the smartest move.

"No," Mayson cleared her throat again and added. "Just be there by eight-thirty."

"Okay, we'll see you then," Lois said hanging up the phone with a hard click. She jotted down the court date time.

“Hey,” She felt two familiar lips press against her cheek.

She smiled, looking up as she handed him the note. "Court is next week."

"Does your uncle know?" Clark asked, setting a cup of hot chocolate in front of her.

"I'm not sure. I haven't called him yet." She smiled, seeing the Dutch writing on the outside of the paper cup. “Where did you get this from?”

“Just a little out of the way place I know.” He grinned at her.

“You know, you don’t have to go all over the world to satisfy my pregnancy cravings.” She pointed out. “I would have been happy with a cup from Marge’s cart downstairs.”

“I know, but I needed to clear my head after the last rescue.” He said, taking a seat next to her.

“Bad?” she asked, knowing the answer already from the expression on his face.

“Yeah,” he began sadly. “Superman didn’t get there in time.”

“Oh, Clark,” she reached out to place a hand on his arm.

He began reciting the facts from the scene as he placed a hand over hers, fingering the gold band on her hand. “A fifteen-year-old boy is in critical condition. His mother is in shock, and his little sister can’t stop crying. There were witnesses of course, but surprise, surprise no one wanted to talk. The police didn’t show until after the ambulance had already left.” He let out a long breath, pinching the bridge of his nose, “I don’t know how much longer I can keep doing this.”

“Doing what?” Lois asked gingerly.

This.” He gestured toward the television. “Deciding which calls for help to go to first. Determining who lives and who doesn’t.”

“That is not your fault.” She hissed at him adamantly. “You cannot put this all on yourself. You are not responsible.”

“Then who is?” he asked with a shrug. “The police seem to have decided they’re no longer responsible for protecting these neighborhoods. The gang violence is getting worse.”

“I know,” Lois said, tightening her hand in his. “I actually have some information on that front.”

“You found someone willing to talk?” Clark asked, raising his eyebrows in awe. “How’d you manage that?”

“Well, not exactly. No one is talking about the police slow down, but I did find some information out about the Skins.” Lois explained.

“Such as?” Clark asked, leaning in closer.

Lois smiled, pulling out her notepad. “I talked to Louie—You remember Louie, right?”

“Jenna’s dad, right?” Clark asked, recalling their former classmate at Met U.

“Yeah,” Lois nodded.

“Isn’t he the guy that owns that dive out in Hobb’s Bay?” Clark asked, wrinkling his nose.

“He likes to think of it as a club.” She corrected.

“It’s a dive.” Clark corrected, giving her a look. "You need a tetanus shot just to go in there."

She sighed, “It’s whatever he wants it to be when he’s got information for us. Anyway, he said there were some guys in his club talking about how some lawyer was going to be getting Baby Rage off.”

“Guys? You think they might have been the Skins?” Clark asked, taking a look at her notes.

“It’s possible. I think we should take a look at this lawyer though. Could lead us to whoever is causing the slowdown in the Lower East Side.” Lois said, leaning back in her chair, reaching back to massage her lower back.

“You okay?” He asked in concern.

“Yeah, I think I’ve just been sitting too long.” She cringed, twisting her back to try and relieve the pressure.

“Here, let me see it.” He turned her chair, so she was facing away from him. She felt him press his knuckles against her vertebrae.

“Just one of the downsides of being, further along, I suppose." She felt a blast of warmth spread down her back where he was kneading his knuckles. She felt a stretching sensation against her back and a pop. “Oh!”

“Did I hurt you?” He asked, looking at her in concern.

“No, no, just surprised me is all.” She smiled back at him. She twisted in her chair, feeling the relief from where the knot in her back had been seemed to have disappeared. “Thanks.”

“Anytime.” He leaned in to kiss her. “Let’s get out of here. See if we can find what lawyer is going to get Baby Rage off.”

“Sounds like a…” she stopped mid-sentence seeing the expression on his face. “What’s wrong?”

“A voice.” He held up his hand as he listened then whispered. “I’ve got to go. Don’t leave. Don’t go anywhere until I get back.”

Any other time she would have argued about him treating her like an invalid because of the pregnancy, but something in the tone of his voice and the look on his face stopped her. He leaned in to kiss her then disappeared down the corridor that led to the stairwell.

“Be careful.” She whispered.

Clark leaned in to kiss Lois, feeling the troubles from the day lifted after discovering their latest lead. If the Skins were in contact with a lawyer that was promising the charges against Baby Rage would be dismissed it might lead them to who was behind this sudden drop in response time from the police. He didn’t want to bring it up with Lois right now, but if this was true and there was a lawyer working the system to get the gangster that had tried to burn down Mike Lane’s restaurant, then her uncle could be in danger. He’d have to make a stop by Mike’s place during his patrol and make sure he was okay.

“Let’s get out of here. See if we can find what lawyer is going to get Baby Rage off.” He said, helping Lois to her feet. Just as soon as the words escaped his lips he heard a man’s voice echo on a frequency he knew only he was privy to.

//“Superman,”//

“Sounds like a…” she stopped mid-sentence, looking back at him in concern. “What’s wrong?”

“A voice.” He held up his hand to listen.

//“I'm contacting you on a hypersonic frequency that only you and a few bats can hear. I don't know where you spend your off hours, but if I were you, I'd be at the Metropolis Park, east gate, inside of three minutes... or someone is going to die...I believe you know her. Lois Lane.”//

He tensed up, hearing the threat and looked back at Lois. Afraid to cause her any more stress than she was already under, he leaned in to kiss her and whispered. “I’ve got to go. Don’t leave. Don’t go anywhere until I get back.”

A few minutes later he was in the air, ready to confront the voice that dared threaten his family. He came into land outside the Metropolis Park where he saw a man sitting on a park bench, feeding the pigeons. Not seeing anyone around he determined the voice had to come from the man sitting in front of him.

“Hey, there,” the man smiled, standing to his feet.

Clark didn’t even give him a chance to finish the last syllable. He grabbed him by the neck, hoisting him up off the ground as he growled, “You no good piece of garbage. Who do you think you are?!” He did his best to control his anger and not give too much away regarding his relationship with Lois while in the suit. A task he found that proved difficult when his wife and child’s life was being threatened.

The man seemed unaffected by Clark’s anger and simply smiled back at him, extending his hand, “Martin Snell, good to meet you.”

Clark kept his grip on him, narrowing his eyes at him as Snell continued. “Not into the whole talking thing I see. You’re probably wondering how I did that, huh?” He pulled a small radio out of his pocket and spoke into it.

//“Superman, let’s talk.”//

Snell laughed, “Neat, huh?”

“If this is your idea of a joke, you're going to need a lawyer.” He snarled angrily.

“No, I won’t. Because A, I am a lawyer and B, this is no joke.” Snell glanced at his watch. “I’d say Ms. Lane’s got about, ohhhhh, ten maybe fifteen seconds? Think you can get there in time?”

Clark threw Snell to the ground and moved at super-speed back toward the Planet. The glass shattered around him as he flew toward Lois who was sipping her hot chocolate. He didn’t give her a chance to respond. He didn’t have time. He grabbed her at super-speed, flying her out of the Planet and into the sky.

“Clark, what…?!” Lois looked down at the street below them as he landed her on the roof.

“Stay here.” He instructed and flew back into the newsroom where he found Lois’ chair covered in yellow paint.

“Superman! What are you—”

Clark looked up to see Perry covered in yellow paint.

“What in the Sam Hill?” Perry looked down at his soiled shirt.

Clark shook his head, examining the silver casing that had shattered on Lois’ chair, “Somebody's idea of a sick joke. Don't worry, Mr. White, they won't bother you again.”

He flew back to the roof to check on Lois, “Are you all right?”

“Fine,” Lois said looking at him in concern. “Are you?”

“I will be in a minute.” He said, gesturing toward the door to the stairwell. “It’s safe for you to go back down now. It was a false alarm.”

Before she could voice her response, he flew back toward the Metropolis Park. Just as Martin Snell was about to leave he grabbed him by the jacket, flying him toward City Hall.

“Hey, easy, easy. I was just trying to get your attention so we could talk.”

“Well, you’ve got it and not in a good way.” He landed on the steps of City Hall, smiling to himself when he saw Mayson Drake approaching. He lifted his arm to get her attention.

“You don’t want to do that, Superman,” Snell warned.

“Give me one good reason why I should listen to a word you say.” Clark snapped back, leaning in, so his face was a few inches away from Snell.

“I think I’ve already given you one very good reason.” He said as Mayson walked up to them.

“Martin, what are you doing here?” Mayson asked.

“I dunno,” He looked at Clark with a sinister glare. “I thought I’d catch up with Superman here. Enjoy the fresh air…” He elbowed Mayson, “You know he gets that look on his face, and he reminds me of Judge O’Neil.”

Clark narrowed his eyes at Snell, still unsure what game he was playing. “Mr. Snell and I were just having a little chat about ethics.

“Really?” Mayson asked, looking at Snell in disgust. “You might want to write a textbook. This one’s been skirting the line for the last decade.” She glared at Snell.

“Now, now, Mayson I resent that.” Snell sniffed.

“What are you really doing here Martin? I told you before you’re not going to get Baby Rage out on bail. No judge in their right mind is going to allow it.” Mayson narrowed her eyes at Snell.

‘Baby Rage?’

Realization dawned on Clark as the pieces began to fit. Snell was the lawyer the Skins were talking about.

“Well, we’ll just see about that. You know the organization has pull. My guy is guaranteed his day in court.” Snell sneered.

“Uh-huh,” Mayson looked at him in disbelief. “We’ll see about that.” She finished walking down the steps toward her awaiting car.

Snell turned back toward Clark and smiled, “You learn fast. Good.”

“This is a warning.” Clark hissed, getting in Snell’s face once more. “You come anywhere near the Kents or anyone at the Planet again, and I’ll make it my mission to destroy you and whatever organization it is you’re working for.”

“Oh, I’m shaking in my boots.” Snell grinned back. “No, no, that’s not how this works. You do what I say or someone you care about dies, remember?”

“I don’t take orders!” Clark snapped.

“Fine, call it a suggestion.” Snell shrugged. “A very strong suggestion.” His eyes narrowed as he pulled himself out of Clark’s grip. “The organization I work for is very impressed with you, Superman. I myself am a huge fan. You’ve got me dazzled. I’m a huge fan. We don’t want you to stop being the Man of Steel. It’s a beautiful thing.”

“But?” Clark narrowed his eyes at him, knowing there was more coming. He did his best not to react, but he could feel the apprehension creeping into his voice. Snell was with the organization. The mysterious organization that Lois’ father had been working with. The organization that had been in charge of Trask and responsible for his torture for five years. It took everything in him not to throttle the man in front of him.

“Ah, the chase,” Snell smiled, straightening his suit as he spoke. “What my partners and I do want is for you to stay out of our business.” He took a step toward Clark, “Face it. As our little demonstration proved, even you can’t be in two places at once—but our bullets can.”

“Let’s see how fast you can give your orders from a jail cell,” Clark said, pulling on his arm.

“Sure!” Snell grinned, “You could take me in. You’re Superman, and I’m just a guy from the Bronx. But do that two things happen: A, someone you care about dies—and B, a replacement for me steps right in. Now you don’t want A, and I don’t want B, so I think what you need is a little attitude adjustment.”

Snell peeled Clark’s arm off of him and pointed his index finger at Clark’s chest. “By that I mean, be the best Superman you can be. Street crime? Wipe it out. Terrorists? Kick their butts. Carjackers? Hey, I drive a Ferrari, put those guys in orbit.”

He took another step toward him, and in a low, menacing voice Snell added, “But you stay out of the Lower East Side. I don’t care if it’s a cat chasing a mouse. You flash that cape in that part of town, and you’re looking at an all-expenses-paid education in bereavement. Are we clear?”

“On one thing,” Clark hissed back angrily. “This is not over.”

“The organization?” Lois echoed, watching as Clark paced around the conference room in front of her. After Superman had flown into the newsroom and shattered glass everywhere, she’d moved her laptop and notes into the conference room while the maintenance crew worked on cleaning up the glass and paint.

“That’s what he said,” Clark said, running a hand through his hair. “Lois, I don’t know what to do. I barely got here in time, but what if…”

“We’ll figure it out,” Lois reassured, taking a step toward him, wrapping her arms around his waist. “You can’t just stop being Superman because some bully in a suit says so.”

“But the bullets…” he reminded her.

“I know.” She let out a long breath, resting her head against his chest, reminded of the warning that had been sent to them.

Try as they might it seemed an impossible task to separate herself from Clark’s alter-ego in the public eye. His rescue of her with the Messenger bombing and her landing the first exclusive with Superman seemed to forever tie her to Superman. It didn’t matter how many interviews he gave to other reporters or how many unrelated stories she and Clark covered. The world associated her, Lois Lane with Superman. And now it seemed the organization had her associated with him too.

“You know, Perry said he ducked.” Lois began, recalling her conversation with her editor earlier.

“What?” He asked, confused.

“He said he ducked and the bullet still found him,” Lois said. “Almost like it knew where he was.”

Clark frowned, “Like some sort of tracking system?” he looked at her in concern, “You didn’t get hit though.”

“Maybe they sent it to where they thought I’d be?” Lois guessed.

“If that’s true then they’d have to track everyone without anyone knowing.” Clark pointed out.

An idea popped in her head, “I’m going to call Dr. Klein.”

“Dr. Klein?” Clark asked skeptically.

“I did a story a few years ago on something S.T.A.R. Labs was developing for the military. A genetic tagging system. Dr. Klein was the lead scientist on the project.” Lois pointed out, reaching for the phone.

“Genetic tagging?” Clark asked, skeptically. “Sounds like something out of a bad sci-fi movie.”

“Well, unfortunately, they’ve come a long way in the technology they’re using to annihilate other countries. S.T.A.R. Labs is just one of the many companies that gets contracted to build stuff like this.” She stopped when she heard the voice on the other end of the phone. “Yes, hello? Advanced Science Division. Dr. Klein, please.”

“May I tell him whose calling?” the receptionist asked.

“Lois Lane.” She said, sighing when she heard the holding message on the other end of the phone.

“You really think this organization has that kind of pull?” Clark asked uncertainly. “What you’re talking about is military weaponry being used—”

“By criminals?” Lois finished for him. “It happens. A lot more often than anyone would like to admit, but it does happen.”

“Okay, well let’s say your theory is correct. How do they even know who to tag and how do they even get access to—”

“I don’t remember everything, but I’m sure if we take that test bullet they sent and brought it to Dr. Klein—”

“—he might be able to trace it.” Clark finished her thought for her.

“Exactly!” Lois cheered happily, turning her attention to the phone, “Yes, Dr. Klein?”

Lucy Lane made her way through the crowded restaurant, scanning for the familiar face. Finally, she found him, standing by the entrance to the bar. “Right here, Luce!”

“Hi, Uncle Mike,” she beamed, giving him a halfway hug as he guided her toward the door that led them to the outdoor patio. “Any reason you wanted to meet here instead of your restaurant? I was kinda looking forward to some chocolate mousse when you invited me to lunch.”

“Luigi makes it almost as good as me.” He winked at her, pulling out the chair for her.

Lucy frowned, looking around the crowded patio before taking a seat. “But it’s not the same.”

“I know, kiddo.” He sighed, taking a seat across from her. “I’ll make you a batch for you to take home this weekend.” He pulled up his menu before adding, “I just didn’t want to take any chances. If anything happened to you or your sister–your mother would kill me.”

“I thought the police caught the guy that tried to burn down your place,” Lucy said, setting her menu down.

“They did, but he has friends and let’s just say Southside ain’t the safest place to be right now,” Mike explained gently.

“I heard,” Lucy said with a sigh, looking away.

“What’s wrong?” Mike pressed, recognizing the expression on her face.

She toyed with whether she wanted to bring up her latest dilemma with him and finally decided to bring it up. “Have you ever been asked to do something you think is wrong?”

“Like against the law wrong or morally wrong?” Mike asked.

“Both,” Lucy said shakily.

“Well, you know I spent two tours in Vietnam. I saw things and did things I wasn’t proud of in order to survive…but it was a kill or be killed situation.” Mike began gently.

“This is definitely not that.” Lucy sighed. “My boss wants me to destroy evidence. He pulled me off of a real case to deal with paperwork and—”

“And you think he’s trying to hide something?” Mike guessed.

“See, that’s just it. I don’t know.” Lucy ran a hand through her hair. “It’s not like I know a whole lot about the Criminal Science division, but I do know we’re not supposed to destroy samples when the case is still open.”

“Sounds like a dilemma,” Mike observed carefully.

“I don’t know what to do.” Lucy hung her head hopelessly.

“What do you think you should do?” Mike asked.

“Something that could get me fired,” Lucy said bitterly.

“Or something that could make a difference,” Mike said.

“You think?” Lucy looked back at him with a half-smile.

“You do what your gut tells you. No job is worth a guilty conscience.”

“Yes, yes,” Dr. Klein looked at the remnants of what he called a ‘smart-bullet’ under his microscope, “Definitely genetic marking.” He looked up at Lois and Clark. “Where did you say you found these?”

“At the Daily Planet,” Clark explained, wrapping a protective arm around Lois. “Superman…was able to get Lois out of there in time but another smart-bullet hit our editor.”

Dr. Klein frowned, “He got her out of there? It didn’t follow her?”

“No,” Lois said. “We were thinking they just sent these bullets to where they thought I was at. Luckily it was just a warning.”

“This time.” Clark corrected.

“Yes, it is possible but with the genetic marking system that was developed these smart-bullets are programmed to lock onto a target. It’s the beauty of the system.” Dr. Klein explained, pulling up his notes on the program. A few minutes later a 3-D model of a motorized fly appeared on the screen. “We disguised the genetic tag in an everyday house fly and injected unsuspecting targets making the weapon the tag was linked with zero in precisely on the victim without harming anyone else. If this is the same system then more than likely it was your chair that was injected with by the homing device.”

“They injected my chair?” Lois asked in surprise. “Why?”

“Maybe they just couldn’t get close enough to you.” Dr. Klein shrugged. “Either way, I’m more concerned with how they got access to this system in the first place. It’s still under lock and key here at STAR Labs. If someone has stolen this technology…”

“If?” Clark pressed skeptically. “I think the threat today answered that question.”

“S.T.A.R. Labs is supposed to be the most secure facility in the world. Breaking through our firewalls would require inside access.” Dr. Klein mused aloud. “I’ll have to bring this up with the board so we can figure out who’s behind this. In the meantime, be weary of any house flies or mosquitos.”

“Dr. Klein, is there any way we can track who sent these?” Lois pointed to the casing under his microscope.

“Not from this.” Dr. Klein sighed, “But if I can get ahold of the tagging device I can track it back to its source. Each of them was programmed with a homing device.”

“Homing device?” Clark asked intrigued. “Like a tracking system.”

“Precisely.”

Clark glanced at Lois then back to Dr. Klein, “Any way you might be able to bring that system up, maybe check and see if any of the tagging devices are missing?”

“What is this?” Sam asked apprehensively, eying the small silver space craft in front of him. He knew all too well what it was.

“Oh, something we came across during the disassembly of a certain government agency.” Bill Church Jr. said with a smug grin.

Sam forced a smile back, knowing full well that if he gave himself away, he could be putting his family at risk. He had to play along and help gain as much information as he could from the inside. Once he had what he needed he would disappear.

“Oh?” Sam feigned surprise.

“I’ll be taking over the projects in District 26. I want to begin testing. See if this can tell us anything about where it came from.” Bill Jr. said, tapping the left wing of the ship. “I trust we can count on you, Dr. Lane.”

“Of course.”

Lois held up two different outfits as she stood in front of the bathroom mirror in the new lingerie she’d picked up from her latest shopping trip. Unlike most of the maternity bras, it didn’t make her feel like an old lady. It provided her with the support she needed while still making her feel desirable. These days it was the little things that helped boost her confidence. The more her body changed, the more she found herself battling self-doubt.

Her choices were becoming slimmer and slimmer when it came to work attire as her waist continued to expand. It frustrated her to no end. She’d been able to slide by with stretch pants and longer tops with Jamie until almost seven months. Now here she was at seventeen weeks pregnant and already dipping into the maternity clothing she’d packed away. Unfortunately, most of it was geared toward the cooler months. It was June and wearing long heavy maternity pants didn’t appeal to her in the slightest.

“We’re going to be late.” Clark reminded her, wrapping an arm around her from behind.

“Red or green?” she asked, holding the two outfits up for him to help her decide.

He gave her a once-over, and she smiled watching as his eyes lingered over her. Despite the obvious change to her midsection he still had a hard time controlling himself when he saw her like this. He wiggled his eyebrows at her and gave her a wicked grin, “How about we call in and then you don’t have to wear either?”

“Be serious!” she retorted, unable to hide the smile on her face as he pulled her to him.

“I am…very serious.” He whispered in her ear. “You’re gorgeous.”

“You’re biased. I’m getting fat.” She retorted as his hands roamed up and down her sides, resting on her growing abdomen.

“You’re pregnant. Not fat.” He ran his hands up her body. She’d had to change two bra sizes in the last month. “You’re beautiful.” He murmured in her ear, placing a kiss on her shoulder blade. “And incredibly sexy.” He whispered.

She frowned, staring at her reflection in the mirror. How Clark could look at her and not see the flaws she knew were growing more and more evident with each passing day was beyond her. He seemed oblivious to the fact that she was showing at what she felt was a rapid pace. Part of her wondered if it was connected with his alien genes or if it was just another thing to chop up to it being her second pregnancy. She’d begun to feel the baby move a week ago—much earlier than she had with Jamie.

“I don’t feel that way.” She hung the outfits on the door to her closet. “I’m blowing up into a balloon. None of my suits hardly fit anymore. I’ve hardly got any maternity clothes I can wear. Most of them are for winter, and a lot of them are too big.”

“You’re not blowing up into anything.” He soothed. “We’ll go get some more maternity clothes this week.”

“I hate having to spend money on clothes I’m only going to be wearing for a few months. We haven’t even started getting furniture for the nursery or looking for a new place to live. What are we going to do when we move? I’m already the size of a house and …” She pointed to her chest. “…these things have already gone up a size and a half.”

“I’ve noticed.” He wiggled his eyebrows at her with an impish grin. “I prefer to think of these as another perk.”

“Me being the size of a whale is not a perk.” She retorted irritably, crossing her arms over her chest defiantly.

“You’re not the size of a whale, honey,” He ran his hands up and down her growing abdomen, leaning in to kiss her. “You’re pregnant with our child. You could be wearing a paper bag, and I’d still think you’re the most stunning woman in the room.” He tightened his arms around her, and she found herself smiling back at him. He always found a way to make her smile even when she was in the foulest of moods. He leaned in to kiss her once more, “Now, if you don’t get dressed we’re going to be extremely late and have to explain to Perry why I had to ravish you.”

She giggled at the mental image, pulling away from him, reaching for the red and black suit hanging on the closet door. She couldn’t suppress the smile on her face as she watched him turn away to finish getting dressed. “Ravish, huh?”

“Not helping.” He retorted from behind her. “You’re supposed to be getting dressed.”

“I am.” She said, half-heartedly, unable to wipe the mental image he’d planted in her mind.

“No, you’re not.” He whispered, wrapping his arms around her waist from behind. “You’re going to make us both very late.”

“How late?” she asked curiously as his hands wandered up her body, resting beneath her ribcage.

Inexcusably late.” He whispered leaning in to kiss her.

TBC…

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube