Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Have anyone seen this?

Comic-Con: Lois and Clark Return for New Superman Comic - With Their Son!
[Linked Image]

I'm beyond excited! hyper clap After their most stupid mistake ever (Superman and WW) it looks like finally DC is coming to their senses. thumbsup

They'll still keep New 52 Superman but I believe in a few months it will fade into the pit of DC mistakes (such as Electric Superman, Red/Blue Superman, etc.)

Lois and Clark forever! dance

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
WOOHOO! hyper

And just when I had been giving up hope of getting a decent new comic... I had figured that it would be at least another several years until a reboot took place that might give us something decent. Maybe we'll have one comic to tide us over...

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
They won't make a reboot, but they'll have several storylines and universes running at the same time, as I understood it. I think it's just so that they don't have to admit their mistake so soon. But I believe very soon the New 52 Superman will fade to insignificance and disappear.

Just having Lois and Clark is huge news. I don't care if they keep the New 52 Superman or turn him into a zombie or whatever, as long as we have a good option to read.

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I'm sorry; I wasn't clear in my earlier post. I mean that I thought that I would have to wait until the next reboot -- several years from now -- to find anything worthwhile. Because there is *always* another reboot, if you wait long enough...

I hope you're right that the New 52 Superman will disappear soon. The only problem is that what we've seen so far of the semi-post-New-52 Superman looks even worse than the New 52 one. I wrote "semi-post-New-52" since he is still supposed to be the New 52 version, but he seems to have changed for the worse. I don't care very much what he happens to wear, or whether he is (temporarily, I am sure) depowered, but any version of the character who would have as foul a mouth as this one does crosses the line for me. And it's not just that I don't like swearing -- if I were a Batman fan, and the writers had that character using language that would make a sailor blush, I wouldn't mind so much. I could see such language as being in character for Bruce. But Clark's speech should be a lot cleaner, IMHO.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I agree. I think they wanted so much to make him different that they turned him into another character. You can't change the core of a character. It would be like turning Bruce into a sweet and goody two-shoes. Inconceivable.

Superman fans are fans because they liked him as he was. Superman has always been known as a boy scout. Clark has always been a mild mannered reporter and the kind son of Kansas's farmers. The most powerful being on the planet that uses his powers for the good. Now they took away his powers, his personality, his job, his life... What is left? A foul mouthed bad boy that isn't even super anymore. Who cares about somebody like this? razz He is completely out of character.

I guess DC realized they were losing loyal readers and decided to bring back storylines that long time fans want to read. The New 52 version is so out of character that they don't know what to do with it. As you said, it just gets worse. You can't change the personality of a character as if it were a piece of cloth. It destroyed the New 52 version and I think the damage is irreversible. If they bring good storylines with the Superman that fans know and love, the New 52 will be forgotten. I'm not crazy about the beard, but if the story is good I'll overlook that detail.

S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
There are ways to swear without using objectionable language: run afoul of some of the Church Ladies in my neighborhood,you'll see what I mean.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Kerth
Kerth
Yes! Finally! I swear, DC really doesn't have anything together right now except their tv shows (Arrow/Flash/hopefully Legends of Tomorrow). So this will be a huge breath of fresh air (I don't expect much from Bats v. Supes; even the trailer kind of made me upset). I hope they do a good job of it, and just scrap the New 52 version. There's not much left to redeem...

But as a side note, I actually think the beard works well on Clark, but *not* on Superman. Also, as if they didn't look similar enough already, a beard is not going to help the matter unless he's somehow able to have it in one disguise but not the other.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I read the first issue and I'm hooked! It's very good, feels like a good fanfic and I want the next part! hyper I was so disappointed with DC that I didn't expect it would be so good! Glad to see that I was wrong. Lois and Clark (and their son) are well written and totally in character. When I saw the cover I didn't like the beard, but in the context of the story it is not a problem (so far).

I'm sure this storyline will be way more successful than the horrid New 52. DC must keep the two titles for some time (while New 52 suffers a slow death) until a new reboot keep this Superman as the original one again.

Next covers:

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Superman: Lois & Clark

Andreia smile

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Andreia, I agree 100% with you. Wouldn't it be nice if they did check the sales numbers and decided that this version of Superman is far more popular (=lucrative) than the New 52 Version? For that matter, I wonder whether their publishing this mini-series might not have been a test to determine just this. (Yeah, I realize the chances of that are slim, but you never know.)

Given that Dan Jurgens -- one of my favourite post-Byrnes writers -- is the author of this miniseries, I had had high hopes coming into it, and Mr. Jurgens does not disappoint. I finally felt like I was reading "my" Superman again.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I finally felt like I was reading "my" Superman again.
Yes, this was my feeling, too. thumbsup

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
After seeing this thread I went and purchased the first three issues.

Fair, but Clark is being stupid and lying to Lois. Otherwise quite promising.

BTW it is described as "new ongoing" not a "mini-series" so that sound good.

Framework4
Blogger
Blogger
http://io9.gizmodo.com/what-is-the-deal-with-superman-in-dc-comics-rebirth-1767578897
It looks like this Superman is going to be the main Superman after the so called rebirth event. party

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Woohoo! The decision makers at DC have finally listened to their readers (or at least have looked at the sales numbers)! party party

Thanks for sharing this good news. smile1 smile1 smile1

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., I wonder what Luthor is doing sporting the El shield on the Action Comics cover.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
p.s., I wonder what Luthor is doing sporting the El shield on the Action Comics cover.
Scary thought!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Check out this DC's "Rebirth" page. It's official. smile

I am trying to remain *cautiously* optimistic about what the future might hold, but a large part of me is throwing caution to the wind and is just plain excited.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Check out this DC's "Rebirth" page. It's official.
Yes!!!! dance hyper clap smile1

The New-52 Superman was already boring to the death. But when you have "our" Superman in the same world, simply there's no chance. He drowns into the boringness pit. Sorry, New-52 Supes. devilsplat

And for the Lois-haters out there, it shows once more that Superman without Lois Lane is a failure. evil

Andreia (not sorry at all) devil

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I am incredibly late getting in on this, mostly because I gave up on comics about the time of the New 52. With the exception of retro/homage stuff like Love and Capes, they're just not fun to read any more. Everyone here is probably sick of my rants about the current meme that Heroes are there to suffer and never to succeed (e.g., modern comics, most movies/TV shows, Harry Potter, etc., etc.), so I will let that be understood as said.

I finally got to read the TP version of issues #1-8 -- dunno if there are any more -- and my initial reaction is that, as befits a series that shares its name with a certain TV show that did Superman, and heroes in general, right -- not perfectly, but right -- this is a vast improvement on the drek that passes for comics these days, and especially Superman. Nor is this perfect, for several reasons: there's no real explanation of how the Kent/White family got to the New-52 world (unless they expect the readers to know a lot about comics that I skipped); they couldn't resist depowering Clark for no good reason (other than, I suspect, that they can't cope with Superman -- ferPetessake, guys, go read some Elliot S! Maggin and take notes); and the super-villains -- Manchester Black and Maxima wannabes -- are not particularly impressive, but I suppose that's why they depowered Clark; at full strength, even the post-Crisis Superman (or any pre-STAS version, including Dean's) would have flattened both of them in an instant.

The art is quite good; Lee Weeks' pencils are more than adequate, though Scott Hanna's inking is a bit variable -- ranging from too much black in some scenes to not nearly enough in others. I do wonder who had the idea for Clark's black uniform: if the S-shield had been blue, I'd've suspected it to be a homage to the show; as it is, it could just be a shout-out to the Death of Superman storyline, or even JLU or Batman Beyond. I don't suppose it really matters; the important thing is that in the very first scene, Clark is wearing the true colours of Superman, not the modern abomination that Jim Lee designed. It is kind of funny to see Superman fighting someone else in a red cape, and there's a couple of panels in which you'd swear he was wearing it. grin

Regardless, this a huge step forward out of the New-52/post-Flashpoint mire for DC. But what really caught my eye was an ad slogan for the first issue; don't know if it was DC or the vendor, but it says almost all that needs to be said, really:

"Make way for the original power couple, for better, for worse, in sickness and in health, until death do them part!"

Phil, who has bought more comics this week -- mostly Jack Kirby tributes -- than I have in the last 3 years!

Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox at times...

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard