#276897 09/03/17 06:43 AM
BJ Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Comments?

Merriwether
Merriwether
Hahahaha! Thank you! A Tenth Doctor/L&C crossover ... what more could a girl ask for? Not only did Ten have a hand in creating Superman, but Mike is a Time Lord! It's wonderful, B; thank you! smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I know next to nothing about Dr. Who, but a crossover is always appreciated!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
As it happens, I know quite a bit about Doctor Who, and I give this tale two thumbs up! I love love this whole concept. There are so many times when the Doctor wants to save everyone but knows he can't, and David Tennant seemed to convey that pain better than any of the other modern Doctors. He's my reboot fave! (Jon Pertwee is my classic fave, which I know is odd [I almost wrote 'ood'] because the two actors played the part as nearly polar opposites.)

Maybe you could write a Lois/Clara quickie adventure like this one, since Clara has her own Tardis now. (I'm still wondering when she learned to operate it.) I'd sure read it!

Okay, enough gushing about the Doctor.

Jor-el and Lara are ideal parents in this story. They're willing to sacrifice themselves to save their son. I get the impression from both the L&C series and the comics that such an attitude was not necessarily the norm on Krypton. It's almost as if children were valued more for their ability to contribute to society than for their own intrinsic value. You showed two parents who loved their son simply because he was their son.

It's too bad the Doctor couldn't have taken them to some other high-tech society and given them the ability to look in on their son without interfering with his development. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that Donna Noble would have begged him to do exactly that, even though it was probably the absolute wrong thing to do for some obscure reason. Maybe doing so would have put Earth in danger of invasion or even annihilation by that society, and maybe just bringing them into the Tardis would have endangered any society in which they might have taken refuge.

The preceding is not criticism or a rant or a gripe, just my own mental meanderings. My muses are starting to poke me with sharp sticks again, and sometimes it comes out as "This is what I would have done!" even if the story (like this one) needs no improvements from me.

Like KathyB, I enjoyed finding out that Mike might be a Time Lord. The series subtly portrayed him as an angel of some kind, but there's not much difference between the two. Nice job of folding him in this way, too. The Doctor needs to know that some good things come from his actions, many of which he doesn't learn about until much later, if at all.

We, the FoLCs, know what happens next in the L&C universe. Thanks for reminding us how the Lois/Clark relationship developed slowly and sometimes painfully. That makes it all the more valuable.

So when's your next story coming out?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
You did a good job capturing the tenth Doctor's voice and style. It's heartbreaking yet satisfying to see him trying to adjust after losing Donna. I also like the unique approach the Doctor took to saving Earth from an asteroid. Can't save the world himself? Just save one superhero at birth! smile

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
BJ Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
KathyB! I'm so glad that you loved your birthday present and that this piece lifted your spirits. It makes it easier to write when I can see and Ten in my head, so I hope he came through clearly.
what more could a girl ask for?
Well, after your message the other day, I suspect that a little N/CC could go a long way. I'll have to see what I can do.

Morgana thank you for reading and commenting. I know that not many LnC FoLCs are Doctor Who fans, so I appreciate you checking it out anyway.

Terry! Thank you so much for your comments and your suggestions.
David Tennant seemed to convey that pain better than any of the other modern Doctors
Yes, I really enjoyed the fact that with Ten, what the Doctor felt was clearly visible. The EmoDoctor was at times a little over the top, but on the whole, it was nice to see such 'human' emotions from the Doctor. His frustration and his inability to change fixed points in time were particularly apparent. That's why I set this after "The Stolen Earth/Jouney's End" and before "The Waters of Mars". His decision to save the Mars scientists makes even more sense if it happened just after his experience on Krypton.

Maybe you could write a Lois/Clara quickie adventure like this one, since Clara has her own Tardis now. (I'm still wondering when she learned to operate it.) I'd sure read it!
I'm not sure I could do Clara (Ha! I almost wrote Clark!) justice. She was a fast-talking, clever character. Maybe after a re-watch.

Jor-el and Lara are ideal parents in this story. They're willing to sacrifice themselves to save their son. I get the impression from both the L&C series and the comics that such an attitude was not necessarily the norm on Krypton. It's almost as if children were valued more for their ability to contribute to society than for their own intrinsic value. You showed two parents who loved their son simply because he was their son.
Thank you for this comment. That is definitely what I wanted to convey. Why else would they work tirelessly until the very end to save their son, alone? There is so much that could be explored about Kryptonian society. Just like the alternate universe, there was just enough given on the show to open so much possibility. One of my plot bunnies explores this, but the story is epic and will probably not make it to these pages for quite some time. Pity.

I'm so glad that my inclusion of Mike worked for you. I originally had the Doctor leave this universe just after seeing the life pod streak past the TARDIS, but it didn't really answer the question of the asteroid for the Doctor.

So when's your next story coming out?
Funny you should ask. I just started working on a new story yesterday. In the meantime, I've got another little something from the "Impossible" universe for your perusal (probably the real epilogue). Let me know what you think.

mrsMxyzptlk Thank you so much for your feedback and comment on the story. I always wonder if I'm the only one that loved Donna's character. She was at times such an abrasive character, but I think that made her intelligence and softer, compassionate side (when it came through) all the more compelling.
I also like the unique approach the Doctor took to saving Earth from an asteroid. Can't save the world himself? Just save one superhero at birth!
jump

Thanks again, everyone, for reading and commenting.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard