My Own Worst Enemy
Folc4evernaday

A/N: Okay so this one is going to be an epic/mid-length. This is the continuation to Ghost From the Past. If you haven't read it you can check it out here. I highly recommend it but it isn't required for this one to make sense. I've written almost half of this one already so posting schedule should remain pretty regular once a week or more depending on my mood or how much harassment I get in comments razz

Fair warning to all:
This is an emotional story. The discussion of child loss is here. (Again, read Ghost From the Past) They lost their child and will still be feeling that loss even with the arrival of another child.

That all being said I hope you enjoy this fic. It is very near and dear to my heart. Comments, questions, etc are welcome. Keep in mind the Lois and Clark in this fic are quite different from cannon b/c of their experiences. (Again, read Ghost From the Past)

That is all you will get for warnings and triggers etc...

I hope you all have fun reading this one. Trailer: My Own Worst Enemy and Fanfiction Banner: My Own Worst Enemy

Previously on Ghost From the Past

I found a love for me
Darling, just dive right in and follow my lead
Well, I found a girl, beautiful and sweet
Oh, I never knew you were the someone waiting for me
'Cause we were just kids when we fell in love
Not knowing what it was
I will not give you up this time
But darling, just kiss me slow, your heart is all I own
And in your eyes you're holding mine

Lois wrapped her arms around Clark’s waist as they swayed to the music, sharing their first dance as husband and wife. “So, Mrs. Kent, how are you feeling?”

She smiled back at him, “Wonderful, Mr. Kent.”

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark with you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song
When you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breath
But you heard it, darling, you look perfect tonight

She linked her arms around his neck, looking into his eyes, “I think it’s time.”

“What’s time?” He asked, confused.

Well I found a woman, stronger than anyone I know
She shares my dreams, I hope that someday I'll share her home
I found a love, to carry more than just my secrets
To carry love, to carry children of our own
We are still kids, but we're so in love
Fighting against all odds
I know we'll be alright this time
Darling, just hold my hand
Be my girl, I'll be your man
I see my future in your eyes

She smiled back at him and laughed, “To tell everyone about the baby…”

“Should we just tell Pete to add it to his speech?” He teased.

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark, with you between my arms
When I saw you in that dress, looking so beautiful
I don't deserve this, darling, you look perfect tonight

Lois laughed, “No, I don’t think my mother or your parents would let us live that one down.”

“You’re probably right,” He grinned back at her. “But you want to tell everyone about the baby…now.”

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark, with you between my arms
I have faith in what I see
Now I know I have met an angel in person
And she looks perfect, I don't deserve this
You look perfect tonight

The song came to an end, and she smiled up at him, “Let’s go find our parents…”

Sam watched from the table as Lois danced her first dance with Clark. He’d felt every emotion known to man over the last week as he tried to wrap his head around the fact that the man his daughter was now married to was an alien. He didn’t look any different from anyone else yet he had the power to break steel bars in his hands and destroy an asteroid headed for Earth to wipe out its existence. Over the past few months, he’d been forced to take a hard look at his life and his shortcomings as a father and husband. He hadn’t been there. He had been a lousy father and a lousy husband. He hoped to start making amends. Both his daughters seemed willing to give him a second chance. He knew it would take more than a few kind words to get back in Ellen’s good graces again.

<<“I have been in love with you for so long I don’t remember what it was like not to love you, Lois, and I don’t want to know.”>>

Knowing this man that his daughter had fallen in love with and planned a life around was the same man that had eaten a bomb to stop the space station from exploding and caught bullets with his hand was a hard concept to grasp. What was even harder was coming to the realization that Clark Kent—alien or not—was capable of something many people had a hard time doing. Love. Seeing the way he looked at Lois and hearing the words he spoke only reaffirmed his decision. He had to protect him and Lois from Darryl no matter what the cost.

“Enjoying the party?” a familiar voice from behind him asked as he took a seat next to him.

“This is my daughter’s wedding…” Sam snapped in a harsh whisper. “Leave…”

“Not until you tell me what you did with that footage.” Darryl hissed angrily in a hushed whisper. “Yes, I know it was you. Imagine my surprise when I went to download the footage for the week, and every server had been wiped clean. Four years of surveillance had been cleared out. How do you suppose that happened?”

“Did you really think I was going to let you continue to violate my children like that?” Sam asked, staring straight ahead as he continued to watch his daughter dance in her husband’s arms. “You have no idea who you’re dealing with.”

“No, you are the one that has no idea who you’re dealing with….” Darryl snapped, “Where are the tapes? What did you do with them?”

“Destroyed along with all your surveillance equipment. Locks have been changed, and they’ll all be moving to an unknown location…”

“You really think you can out play me?”

“I checked the file. Apparently, only you, Trask, Thompson, and Newcomb were a part of this ‘Project K’ of Bureau 39’s. An agency the government has publicly denied any association with…”

“How did you…?”

“Don’t use your company’s founding date as your password, Darryl, everyone knows that.” Sam retorted. “Face it. You need me more than I need you. So here’s how it’s going to work. You stay the hell away from my family. You stay away from Superman. You stay away from the Daily Planet.”

“And if I don’t?”

Sam pulled out a handheld tablet and showed an image of Metallo on the operating table, “He’s operational, but you forget a small detail. I programmed him. I can reprogram him anytime I want. If you come near my daughter or son-in-law ever again Metallo’s next orders will be to dismantle the organization starting with you.”

“You son of a…”

“Ah, ah, ah, language. I will not have you talking that way at my daughter’s wedding.” Sam warned, wagging his finger at him.

“This isn’t over,” Darryl warned in a harsh whisper.

“Oh, I think it is.” Sam said, standing to his feet as Lois approached him, “You’ve overstayed your welcome. Leave.”

“Daddy, have you seen mom anywhere?” Lois asked as she approached the table. Darryl stood from his seat with a scowl on his face. He looked like he was about to say something but thought better of it and left. “What was that about?”

“Old business acquaintance. I forgot to have your mother remove him from the list. We had a bad falling out a few years ago.” Sam said hurriedly. “Uh, what did you ask, princess? I’m sorry my head’s all over the place today.”

“Mom? Have you seen her?” She repeated, eying him critically. Hopefully, she couldn’t tell he was lying.

“Oh, right! I think she went to meet that boyfriend of your sister’s. What’s his name? Lenny?”

“Jimmy.” Lois corrected.

“Right, Jimmy.” Thankfully the object of their conversation was headed toward them with Lucy and Ellen in tow.

“Lois, it’s almost time for the toasts. Where is Pete at?” Ellen asked as she approached, looking around.

“Um, I think Clark went to go grab him.” Lois said hurriedly, “Listen, I know everyone is on a tight schedule, but there’s something we really wanted to tell both of you…well all of you…” Lois shrugged her shoulders as he spotted Clark heading their way with the Kents and Pete Ross in tow.

“Okay, what’s this about?” Martha asked as Clark wrapped his arms around Lois’ waist from behind, pressing a kiss against her cheek as she turned to look at him with a smile.

“News?” Ellen asked confused. “Oh, no, you’re not dying are you?” Her voice grew frantic.

“No, mom, I’m not dying,” Lois reassured her.

“Not if I can help it anyway,” Clark encouraged, tightening his arms around Lois as she swayed her hips against him, smiling back at their small collection of friends and family. “We’re waiting on one more person.”

“All right folks…” Perry said, making his way to the table, “What’s going on? Your wedding coordinator…”

“Beverly.” Ellen supplied.

“…Beverly.” Perry corrected himself, “said you needed me over here for something?”

“Yes, apparently there is ‘news.’” Jonathan explained, looking at Lois and Clark expectantly.

“Well, first of all, we wanted to let you know how grateful we are for all your help over these last few weeks. I know it’s been stressful and crazy, but everything turned out amazing. We couldn’t ask for anything more perfect.” Lois began with a strained voice as the tears she was holding back began to become too much for her. “I’m sorry. I’m just really emotional. It’s an emotional day.”

Clark gave her a peck on the cheek and continued for her, “As you all know we chose to have the ceremony on Jamie’s birthday to help let him be a part of everything. A reminder that he’s not forgotten. You all have been …amazingly supportive through all of this, and we wanted to thank you for your support and love. We just hope you won’t let Jamie’s memory be forgotten in November when we welcome the newest member of the family to the world.”

Squeals of joy echoed around them as hugs and kisses were exchanged. Sam watched as Lois and Clark were both enveloped in never-ending hugs from arms all around them. He took a moment to let the news sink in.

A grandchild.

A miracle.

A medical miracle.

He could write books and documentaries about this. It would make his career. As soon as the thought crossed his mind, he quickly banished it. This wasn’t a clinical study. This was his flesh and blood. His grandchild…possibly another boy, given their previous son.

Jamie.

It had broken his heart to watch Lois go through the loss of her son without a way to help her. Despite being only half-human nothing had shown up on the reports as out of the ordinary. What were the odds that this would happen again? He watched the smile that spread across his daughter’s face and made a decision. He needed to tell her he knew. He needed to help them. Maybe he could help prevent anything from happening this time around? He sighed to himself, hopefully, she wouldn’t try to push him away again.

Mr. Darryl followed the young blonde down the narrow pathway beneath the crypt and into the hidden lair near the Metropolis sewer lines that was rumored to house the notorious Lex Luthor. As he turned the corner, a voice from behind him stepped out of the shadows, “So we meet again…and under less desirable circumstances.”

“Lex,” he hissed, looking back at the bloodied shirt of the once world famous philanthropist as he staggered toward him. “How’ve you been?” Lex motioned for the young blonde to leave, and she nodded, heading up the steps and closing the stone door closed behind her.

Lex motioned to his surroundings, “How do you think? I’ve been robbed of everything thanks to your organization…and Superman.” He snapped bitterly.

“How would you like to rectify that?” Darryl asked.

Lex laughed, “You? You’re going to help me? After everything you did to destroy me…”

“That was the organization.”

“That was you.” Lex clarified with a scoff.

“I don’t work for them anymore.”

“How convenient.” Lex remarked bitterly, “So what now you expect me to help you? Why should I trust you?”

“Because I can get you something you desperately need.”

“Oh?” Lex asked, in mock interest, “What do I desperately need?”

“The destruction of Superman,” Darryl said with a smile.

“You and what army?” Lex scoffed, rubbing his neck, “He’s a temporary nuisance. I’ll deal with him in time.”

“Or you could deal with him now.” Darryl pressed.

“What do you suggest I do, show up at his house for tea?” Lex scoffed, “Give me a break!”

“It’s an apartment. Not a house.”

“Excuse me?” Lex looked at him in confusion.

Darryl handed him a folder from his suit jacket, “Our file on Project K. What’s left of it anyway. He came to Smallville, Kansas in 1966. Found by an elderly couple who raised him as their own until we were able to make contact…around the same time we discovered his weakness. The meteorite.”

“You’re saying Superman, this alien grew up here and has been here since 1966??” Lex asked incredulously.

“Yes, the alien, also known as Superman is, in reality, the adopted son of Jonathan and Martha Kent, Clark Kent.”

Lex laughed, “Of course he is.”

“You don’t believe me?” Darryl asked in anger.

“Even if this is true you’ve still yet to prove your worth to me. You’re useless. Your power. Your contacts…All of them were with the organization.” He pulled a gun out and pointed it at Darryl, “Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t shoot you on the spot for the millions you cost me over the last seven weeks.”

“Intergang.” Darryl stammered.

“What?” Lex asked in confusion.

“That’s the name of the organization. Intergang.” A shot fired and Lex smiled as he watched the body of Mr. Darryl fall to the ground. He glanced at the sewer they were standing over and kicked Darryl’s body into it. “Good help is so hard to find these days.” He muttered as he watched Darryl’s body float down the sewer pipes.

Lois watched her dad from across the room carefully. He’d been acting strange all day. She just couldn’t put her finger on it. Was it the wedding? She knew fathers sometimes got emotional at weddings, but he seemed fine at the ceremony. Who was that man he was talking to earlier? It seemed more than just a tiff between business associates.

The soft strands to her dad’s favorite song came on, and she smiled.

‘Must be time for the ‘father-daughter’ dance’ she thought to herself as she scanned the room for her missing father.

Look at the two of you dancing that way
Lost in the moment and each other's face
So much in love, you're alone in this place
Like there's nobody else in the world
I was enough for her not long ago
I was her number one
She told me so
And she still means the world to me
Just so you know
So be careful when you hold my girl
Time changes everything
Life must go on
And I'm not gonna stand in your way

She didn’t see her dad anywhere. He was just there… Where did he go?

She sighed, looking around. Maybe she could steal Clark away from Perry, Pete, and Jimmy long enough for a dance. It seemed like ever since they’d announced the impending arrival of their latest Kent they both had been getting pulled in opposite directions all evening.

She stood up from her seat at the table and walked toward the buffet where most of the wedding party was huddled around. She felt a tap on her shoulder and turned to see her dad looking at her expectantly, “I think this is your mother’s international signal for ‘dance with your daughter.’”

Lois smiled back at her dad as he held a hand out for her to lead her onto the dance floor. “Thanks for coming. I know it’s not easy to get away, but I do appreciate you being a part of this.”

He smiled, holding her as they swayed to the song. “I wouldn’t miss this for the world.”

But I loved her first, and I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers
From the first breath, she breathed
When she first smiled at me
I knew the love of a father runs deep
And I prayed that she'd find you someday
But it's still hard to give her away
I loved her first

“So, who was that man you were talking to earlier?” Lois asked, looking at him with an expectant look, “I know he wasn’t a business partner.”

He sighed, “Can’t ever hide anything from you, can I?”

“Trouble with having an investigative reporter for a daughter I suppose.” Lois sighed, before softening her gaze on him, “Who was he, really?”

“A dangerous man. That’s all you need to know.”

“Why were you talking to him.”

“Nothing for you to worry about, princess.” He reassured her.

How could that beautiful woman with you
Be the same freckle-faced kid that I knew
The one that I read all those fairy tales to?
And tucked into bed all those nights?
And I knew the first time I saw you with her
It was only a matter of time

“Why don’t you let me decide what I should or shouldn’t worry about?” She prompted.

“Because I think you have enough to worry about.” He said carefully, glancing around as if he was trying to make sure no one was close enough to hear them.

“I swear you are worse than Clark sometimes. I’m fine. The baby is fine. We’re fine.” She reassured him.

“Well, he has a lot to worry about.” He pointed out, whispering in her ear, “If anyone found out you were carrying Superman’s child …”

Her whole body stiffened as her eyes widened, looking up at him in shock, “What did you just say?”

“I know.” He said.

“Know what?”

But I loved her first, and I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers
And I prayed that she'd find you someday
But it's still hard to give her away
I loved her first

“I know Clark is Superman.” He whispered in a hushed tone. She flinched slightly, biting her lower lip as she fought the urge to run, scream, cry. Before she could voice the thousands of questions racing through her mind, he added, “I’m not telling anyone, but I’m not the one you have to worry about.”

“What do you mean?” Lois asked.

“There is an organization out there that was backing Bureau 39. Everyone that was a part of it is gone except one man.”

“The man you were talking to earlier?” Lois asked in a harsh whisper. “Daddy? How did you get involved in this?”

Someday you might know what I'm going through
When a miracle smiles up at you
I loved her first

“Let’s just say I got more than I signed up for.” He said, taking a step away from her. “I’m not going to tell anyone. I want to help.”

Lois glanced over at Clark from across the room, hoping to catch his gaze, but his head was turned away from her. Panic slowly began to rise inside her as she processed the information her father had just given her.

He knew.

How did he know?

Could she trust him?

Could Clark?

Did they have a choice?

The room began to spin. She took a shaky breath, trying to focus on her surroundings. She blinked back tears as she felt her legs give out from beneath her. “Lois!” the last thing she heard was her father’s voice before darkness overtook her.

Bill Church took a puff of his cigar as he made his way into the newly renovated office of CostMart. A ‘Grand Opening’ sign hung outside the doors, and he smiled. Things had come so far in such a short amount of time. Now with Lex Luthor out of the way his organization could re-establish the hold it had had on the city once before. Soon Intergang would control all the crime in the world, and no one would be able to stop him.

“Martin, what’s the status of Metallo? Will he be ready for testing soon?”

“Darryl was diverting from the plan for Metallo, so there will be some modifications and reprogramming required. I’ve already put a call into Dr. Lane to reprogram Metallo.” Martin Snell explained.

“Excellent!” Bill Church cheered happily. “Soon Intergang will have control of Metropolis and then the world….and there’s nothing anyone will be able to do to stop us.”

“Lois?” Clark’s voice echoed around her as she slowly came to. She looked around and noticed the unfamiliar walls. He noticed her silent question. “We’re still at the Metro Gate.” He explained. “You passed out on the dance floor, and the manager was nice enough to let you use a bed in one of the free rooms to lie down on.”

“Oh, good.” She sighed, leaning up to sit up. “I hadn’t thrown the bouquet yet. I promised Lucy I’d throw it to her.”

He smiled back at her, lying down next to her, “I think you’ve had enough excitement for tonight.”

“Party pooper. I’m fine. I just got a little overwhelmed.” She said slowly as her conversation with her dad came back to her.

“From dancing?” He looked at her confused, “Since when?”

“No, from something my dad said.” He sat up, looking at her in concern, the silent question in his eyes. “I’m going to tell you something, and you’re not allowed to panic because I’m already doing the panicking and we can’t both panic because then there’ll be no one to think and then…”

He stopped her mid-babble, pressing his lips against hers to silence her ramblings. “You’re babbling.”

“I do not babble. I was merely thinking out loud.” She corrected, offering him a smile. “No panicking.”

He held up three fingers to do his ‘boy scout’ promise, “No panicking.” He repeated.

“He knows.” She said slowly. “I don’t know how or when or why. I guess I passed out before I could ask any of the important questions. I don’t know. This is all my fault…”

His hand wrapped around hers, offering her a gentle squeeze. “Okay, slow down. Who knows what?” She let out a long sigh, sinking her head back against the mattress as she stared up at the ceiling. Clark sank down next to her, “Lois?”

“My dad said he knows your Superman.” She whispered. His arms tightened around her, and she continued, “I don’t know how or why….I don’t get it. We were so careful and…” She glanced back at him. “Why aren’t you saying anything?”

“I was ordered not to panic.” He said with a wry grin, covering his face with his right hand.

“What are we doing to do?” She asked.

“What exactly did he say?” He breathed heavily.

“He said ‘I know Clark is Superman’”

Clark hung his head, “No misunderstanding there.”

Lois nodded, “Then he mentioned something about getting more than he signed up for when I asked him about the man he was arguing with earlier. I don’t know what he got himself into, but I think he’s in trouble.”

“Do you think we can trust him?” He asked, “to keep the secret?”

“I think so. I hope so. I mean he’d never willingly do anything that would hurt me or Lucy. I don’t think.” Lois sighed, leaning against his chest, “What are we going to do?”

“I guess we need to talk to him and find out.” He said slowly, resting his hand against the small of her back. “How are you feeling?”

“Better. I think.” She said softly, sitting up. “I’m sorry,” She whispered.

“For what?” He asked, sitting up.

“If I hadn’t pushed you we wouldn’t be in this mess.” She began to cry.

“Hey, no one pushed anyone into anything.” He reassured her. “We made the decision for me to take on Superman. It wasn’t anyone’s decision but ours. You were right there is a lot of good Superman can do for the world. I don’t regret it for a minute.”

“Are you sure?” She asked, looked at him skeptically.

“Positive.” He reassured her. “We’ll get through this the same way we got through everything else…together. You said yourself your dad might be in trouble. Let’s find out what’s going on and take it from there.”

“Okay,” She sighed, leaning in to kiss him. “I love you, Clark Kent.”

“I love you, Lois Lane.” He whispered, cupping her cheek, “babbling moments and all.”

“I do not babble.”

“Yes, you do.” He whispered leaning in to kiss her once more.

Teaser

Five Months Later…

“You’re doing great, Lois,” the doctor called out, looking up from the edge of the exam table. “Let’s take a look.”

Lois fell back against her husband, allowing him to support her as he gently massaged her lower back. Back contractions. Painful, excruciating back contractions. If it weren't for Clark giving her the added heat vision to her back she would have been in tears hours ago.

Three and a half weeks of on and off contractions until she’d finally been far enough to get pushed into active labor. From the time they broke her water to the time she’d received the epidural she was in hell. Her back felt like it was on fire. She felt like her insides felt like they were ripping her in half. Then finally the pain subsided and was replaced with an unbearable pressure all along her back with every contraction.

“I swear to God if you tell me I’m doing great one more time without being any further along…” Lois muttered irritably.

The doctor gave her a knowing smile and Clark brushed his lips against her temple, kneading at her lower back. She looked back at him, seeing the emotion on his face. “It’s okay. Everything’s going to be okay.”

“I love you so much, Lois,” he murmured in her ear.

“Okay, Lois, it looks like you’re just about ready to push,” the doctor said, pointing to the stirrups.

“Oh, thank God!” Lois sighed, holding her husband’s hand as she hooked her heels into the stirrups.

“How’s he doing?” Bill Church asked, looking at the equipment that was hooked up to a wall of purple and blue. The machinery showed a glowing stone in a tall cylinder. A man laid on the slab with wires hooked into him. A doctor sat at his bedside, working inside the machinery in his chest.

“We’re just about there.” Rollie Vale said with a grin. “Dr. Lane did a lot of the work for us in the beginning. Too bad he had to recuse himself from this case. He would have loved to see Metallo come to life.”

“Yes, too bad,” Bill said with a slow smile. “Power him up.”

“It’s a boy!” the doctor cheered happily.

The soft cries of their son echoed in his ears as Clark held his wife against him, kissing her happily.

“Hi,” Lois looked up at their son that was wrapped in striped blankets as the doctor cleared his lungs, holding him up for them to see. He stared back at them with the most peculiar expression.

The tears fell down both of their cheeks. Clark whispered a soft, “I love you,” to Lois.

The nurses began looking their son over, and Lois turned back to him panicked, “Stay with him.” She leaned back on the hospital bed, completely spent from delivering their son.

He nodded, following the nurses to the small table where his son was patted down with several striped blankets by six different hands, reaching in. His son’s soft cries were like music to his ears. Clark took his hand, allowing it to curl around his finger. “It’s okay,” He reassured him. His pink wrinkled face turned to him. His cries stopped.

“He recognizes your voice.” One of the nurses told him.

“Hey, little guy,” He whispered hoarsely, trying to suppress the emotion that had been building up for the past nine months. He was here. He was finally here. He and Lois had read all the books. They had gone to all the classes—but nothing had prepared him for looking into his son’s eyes for the first time.

He winced as he watched the nurse apply a solution to his son’s eyes, matting them closed. A soft cry could be heard from his little lungs, and he laid a hand on his chest, “It’s okay,” He reassured him. He could feel the tears in his eyes as his son’s small hand wrapped around his finger tightly.

“Hey there little one, are you ready to see your daddy?” the nurse nodded to Clark, holding handing him to Clark.

He reached his hands out, allowing one hand to support his head and the other his back as he cradled him in the tiny diaper they had him in. The nurse handed him a small blanket, but he shook his head, recalling Lois’ fear of swaddling and blankets after what happened to Jamie. Even though they weren’t the cause of his death the idea that so many babies could die from being swaddled improperly or getting strangled on a blanket was enough to make Lois decide against the practice of swaddling and take extra measures to keep their son safe.

‘What’s preventable we will prevent.’

“Just support his head like this,” the nurse instructed, raising his elbow slightly which allowed his son to nestle himself against his chest.

“Clark?” Lois called out to him. He turned to see his wife who was watching the two of them with a tearful smile.

“Okay, little guy, let’s get you all bundled up,” the nurse cooed.

“No, don’t swaddle him,” Lois pleaded. “Please just let me see him.”

The nurse hesitated for a moment and then nodded, motioning for him to take him to Lois.
He took a seat on the edge of the hospital bed with her. “He’s incredible,” his voice cracked looking back at her as she reached out for their young son. As carefully as he could, he laid him across her bare chest. He seemed immediately at ease—almost knowing that this was his mother and he was safe.

“I’ve never seen anything so perfect in all my life,” He managed, wrapping an arm around her shoulder as he leaned in to kiss her.

“I love you,” She whispered hoarsely as her voice cracked, giving away the emotion she was feeling as her hands ran up and down the pink skin of their son’s back. “Oh, Clark, he’s so beautiful.”

His little eyes blinked through the solution, trying to see the lights and sounds around him. He let out a soft whine then nestled himself back against Lois’ chest. “Hey, there bud, you’ve got your whole life to check the world out and explore,” Clark reassured, placing a tender hand on his back, covering Lois’ hand with his.

The nurse approached with a bracelet for Lois, “You all will have matching hospital bracelets to make sure everyone matches. Each nurse that comes in should check before performing any tests on either of you.”

Lois nodded her understanding and a small whimper came out of the small baby lying across her chest. “It’s okay,” she whispered, cradling him in her arms and positioning him against her breast to begin nursing.

He watched in amazement how at ease Lois seemed with something that was so foreign to him. There was a slight whimper as the small hand fisted against her chest in protest. “I know. I know. I ‘m sorry, but you’re just gonna have to be patient. It’ll come out eventually.” He gave another whimper then stopped, focusing on his task of trying to get nutrients from his mother rather than cry.

“Do you have a name picked out?”

Clark looked toward the nurse that was preparing their son’s chart, “Jon.” He smiled at the image of his wife and son, unable to wipe the grin from his face. “Jonathan Samuel Kent.”

“Welcome to the world, Jon.” The nurse smiled, printing the name on a certificate as she reached out to ink his foot to get his footprints.

The dark hallways echoed with the sound of mice, and Gretchen Kelly grimaced, looking around hesitantly, “Are you sure you should be doing this, Lex? You’re still a wanted man.”

“I’m collecting on a debt,” Lex said, straightening his tie. “To the world, Lex Luthor is a criminal, but to Mr. Church, I’m a business associate. It’s taken me months to track him down, and I’m not going to let a little inconvenience like being on the run get in the way of progress.”

Inconvenience???” Gretchen echoed in half-hysteria. “Lex, you were bleeding to death when I found you! There is still a manhunt going on! If they find you, they could…”

“I’m not giving up Metropolis without a fight,” Lex growled angrily. His eyes darkened, and she took a step back. “Today is the day, darling,” He reassured her, “I will have my revenge.”

Gretchen Kelly watched in silence as Lex’s retreating figure disappeared and let out a low sigh. “That’s what I’m afraid of.”

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube