Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#275670 06/04/17 10:36 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I saw the Wonder Woman film today and was very impressed. It's a pity that this is the first live-action film for the character in 76 years, but it was well-made and entertaining.

Gal Gadot does a great job as the title character, and Chris Pine is good as Steve Trevor. Set during World War I, the movie tells the story of the photo seen in Batman v. Superman. I wouldn't recommend it for younger kids -- 11 or 12 would probably be the limit, due to all the violence (it is a war movie, and doesn't shy away from the horrors of war).

There's quite a bit of humor, but it's also bittersweet, especially when the war is described as the War to End All Wars, since anyone who knows their history knows what happened a generation later.

Interestingly enough, the movie has been banned in Lebanon because Gal Gadot is Israeli and served in the Israeli military. (This most likely means that the movie promptly became very popular in Lebanon, because the quickest way to get people to pay attention to something is to ban it, and in the Internet era it's virtually impossible to keep a movie out of the hands of people who want to see it; even if it's blocked, a proxy will allow it to be brought up in a hurry.)

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I'm kinda interested in watching this. I'm not sure if I'm even the type to be that interested in the superhero movie genre, strange as that may seem, so I'm not sure. But I want to, this is WW's first movie after all, it got good reviews, and I'm interested to see how it's handled.

Beat Reporter
Online Sleepy
Beat Reporter
The movie starts here on June 15th and I can't wait to see it. I have watched the trailers and I really hoped for a good movie.

A friend of mine didn't want to watch it because he doesn't like the WW1 theme. Let's see if I can change his mind after I have seen it. grin

Kathryn
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I saw it yesterday and was truly, truly impressed. I didn't expect the ending at all! It doesn't hurt that I love Chris Pine in anything, especially the Star Trek movies. He was great and different in it. Gal and all the Amazons did a wonderful job.
It helps to be familiar with Renaissance Art of ancient mythological battles. That was totally surprising to me.
I've studied warfare a lot and the part about WWI was very realistic about the tragedy of trench warfare. But it is a scifi movie, so expect a different take on reality. I give it 10 thumbs up! (Well, cause it is scifi after all.)
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
And Princess Buttercup grew up to be a general.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I just saw the Wonder Woman movie. I've never read the comics so the only things I have to compare with are the Lynda Carter TV version (which I loved as a kid), the Kathy Rigby(?) made-for-TV movie (forgettable), and the animated version from Super Friends. My first thought, they finally gave Wonder Woman real power. Although the outfit was skimpy, it didn't feel as blatantly sexual as Lynda Carters. This version of Wonder Woman came off more as a warrior than a bathing beauty. The actress did a great job conveying her reactions to the strange world around her. I love seeing the lasso of truth used so inventively as a weapon.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I loved Wonder Woman! I saw it 3 times, which is the maximum number of times I go to any movie and I rarely see a movie a second time, let alone a third. But I really loved Wonder Woman and would have gone to see it more if I didn't have a 3 viewing limit. So far that that is the only movie I've seen this year. I'm looking forward to getting the DVD/Blu-Ray next month and seeing Wonder Woman again in Justice League.

The movie also inspired me to get 4 little collectible Wonder Woman figures, which are really cute. grin

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard